Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Longest Day, while not the most realistic war movie made, is certainly ambitious in its attempt to basically capture everything that happened on D-Day, from the perspective of both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
If you're looking for a gory, popcorny, over-the-top horror movie (it seems like we're always starved for non-lovely horror in here), check out The Midnight Meat Train. It's a Clive Barker adaptation with good production value and a decent cast.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I haven't seen a lot of it yet, but the new season of MST3K seems tonally identical to the show's heyday. You could argue whether that kind of imitation is good or bad, but it's a pretty remarkable feat just taken on its own. I'll definitely be watching more.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

I haven't seen a lot of it yet, but the new season of MST3K seems tonally identical to the show's heyday. You could argue whether that kind of imitation is good or bad, but it's a pretty remarkable feat just taken on its own. I'll definitely be watching more.

It really does. I think it suffers a little bit for it in the sketch segments, because the new test subject (I can't remember his name) is doing Joel's humor, but Joel's demeanor is what made that work. The guy doing Crow's voice is amazing though.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

It really does. I think it suffers a little bit for it in the sketch segments, because the new test subject (I can't remember his name) is doing Joel's humor, but Joel's demeanor is what made that work. The guy doing Crow's voice is amazing though.

On the other hand, the kaiju rap from the first episode is one of the best MST3K host segments ever.

And how the gently caress did they make a white guy rapping about folklore with two puppets an actual good thing. How do you do that.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

It helps they picked some truly awful movies because holy poo poo Cry Wilderness

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
They're doing Patton Oswalt's humor for some of it anyway. There's a bit in Reptilicus lifted directly from one of his live albums.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
All I can think of when I see MST3K:TR is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK9decuuPC0

Unrelated: So far, I'm really loving bored with I Don't Feel at Home's vigilante shenanigans, but its presentation of Elijah Wood as 'manic pixie dream boy' is pretty inspired casting. D.P. Larkin Seiple struts his stuff when he's not confined by Blair's over-reliance on procedural broken up by pop music montages.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Erebus posted:

It helps they picked some truly awful movies because holy poo poo Cry Wilderness

Definitely one of my favorite movies ever featured on the show. The "BANG!" running gag was hilarious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

Unrelated: So far, I'm really loving bored with I Don't Feel at Home's vigilante shenanigans, but its presentation of Elijah Wood as 'manic pixie dream boy' is pretty inspired casting. D.P. Larkin Seiple struts his stuff when he's not confined by Blair's over-reliance on procedural broken up by pop music montages.

The last 20-30 minutes of that film made me so mad. What potential it had up to that point gets taken out back and shot.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

The last 20-30 minutes of that film made me so mad. What potential it had up to that point gets taken out back and shot.

Why couldn't the guy from Blue Ruin make a vanity project that reached for the heights of, like, Lost River or even Don Jon?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Erebus posted:

"Ok. 'WILDERNESS!!!'."

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

I'm halfway through Cry Wilderness, and I'm really enjoying the show so far. I actually tend to enjoy both the movie and commentary, for whatever reason. MST3k has always been such a niche show; will it attract enough of an audience to get more seasons on Netflix?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DorianGravy posted:

I'm halfway through Cry Wilderness, and I'm really enjoying the show so far. I actually tend to enjoy both the movie and commentary, for whatever reason. MST3k has always been such a niche show; will it attract enough of an audience to get more seasons on Netflix?

Targeted niches are sorta their strategy. Get one group with MST, another with House of Cards, another with the Adam Sandler films, etc.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Handmaiden is just an amazingly crafted film, from start to finish. Some of the most complex characters I've ever seen, and then on top of that amazing visuals in almost every shot. A masterpiece.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Watched Captain Fantastic on Prime which, it turns out, was written and directed by Gavin Belson, er, Alby Grant, er Matt Ross. It was... a seven out of ten? A lot less twee than I thought it was going to be going in, which saves it imo (the box cover made it look like it was going to be a Wes Anderson type affair).

SYNOPSIS: Survivalist\Radical Leftist Ben Cash runs his family as a self reliant Utopian commune, completely secluded from the outside world, until his wife dies, dragging them out into the world for a confrontation with her family.

At the end of the day it was about learning how to compromise for the sake of others and yourself. It feels a little phony at times, but any movie where a family celebrates Noam Chomsky's birthday as their single recognized holiday is ok by me. Viggo Mortensen is extremely Viggo Mortensen in it. If you like looking at him be wistfully masculine and have ever wanted to see his penis, this movie's got you covered.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

DorianGravy posted:

I finished Cry Wilderness this morning, and I'm completely sold on this new season. Jonah and the bots feel like a perfect fit, and the skits have been pretty great overall. I laughed pretty frequently, and that's good enough for me.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I like Jonah too. Not quite as sleepily good natured as Joel, but not remotely as bitterly sarcastic as Mike. A Good Host.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mysterious frankie posted:

Watched Captain Fantastic on Prime which, it turns out, was written and directed by Gavin Belson, er, Alby Grant, er Matt Ross. It was... a seven out of ten? A lot less twee than I thought it was going to be going in, which saves it imo (the box cover made it look like it was going to be a Wes Anderson type affair).

Watched that a few weeks ago and yeah, it's quite enjoyable.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I love Viggo but every time I saw that trailer all I could think was "the grandparents are right, he shouldn't be allowed to do this to those kids," does the movie make him out to be completely heroic?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

I love Viggo but every time I saw that trailer all I could think was "the grandparents are right, he shouldn't be allowed to do this to those kids," does the movie make him out to be completely heroic?

God no. He acts like an unyielding arrogant cult leader a lot of the time and a big theme of the movie is learning how to compromise for the sake of others. He's not a bad guy; he's a complicated, not entirely good, man who loves his family and may have aggravated his wife's bioplar disorder by pushing her to conform to his will, then waited too long to ask for help from the outside.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
That's good to hear. I guess I'll check it out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Fantastic could've definitely been better with stronger direction and another pass at the script by someone not so in love with the characters, but I still liked it more than I expected to. Viggo's performance does a lot to deepen the material.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

That's good to hear. I guess I'll check it out.

There's worse ways to spend your time, though I agree with Boogeyman that it could have been a much stronger movie with a little more polish and self control.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Enos Cabell posted:

I finished Cry Wilderness this morning, and I'm completely sold on this new season. Jonah and the bots feel like a perfect fit, and the skits have been pretty great overall. I laughed pretty frequently, and that's good enough for me.

It was much better than than the first episode.

"Like I said I'm not high but my dog is and I am."

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

It was much better than than the first episode.

"Like I said I'm not high but my dog is and I am."

I agree. I'm been very surprised about the quality of the new season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Sing Street is on Netflix. You should watch it. It's from the Director of Once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWTcmjnEGY

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/854139640445624320

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
hes an inspiration

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sandy Wexler is worth watching if only for the Beavis and Butthead prank phone calls during the end credits.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Adam Sandler is like Nickleback, where I've never actually met someone who likes him but apparently 80% of america does and it's very confusing to me. You'd think somewhere along the line someone would have outed themselves.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Adam Sandler is like Nickleback, where I've never actually met someone who likes him but apparently 80% of america does and it's very confusing to me. You'd think somewhere along the line someone would have outed themselves.

its a little of ppl are embarrased & a little of the people youre around. Ive absolutely met people who say they like adam sandler

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Sandy Wexler is worth watching if only for the Beavis and Butthead prank phone calls during the end credits.

I watched this last night and thought it was a cute movie. But yeah, the end credits are the best part.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

To be fair, it says people have watched half a billion hours of Adam Sandler, that doesn't mean they've enjoyed it. That also includes times when Netflix had Punch-Drunk Love, Reign Over Me, The Wedding Singer, Spanglish, and then his "classics" Billy Madison & Happy Gilmore which people will watch for nostalgia. Also, people really love 50 First Dates for some reason.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

So who's gonna be the guinea pig to give Sandy Wexler a try?

I briefly considered it over the weekend when I started feeling like a Sunday afternoon nap, but I decided on MST3K instead and it worked like a charm.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I thought The Getaway was good. Fight me.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
When they first added that Adam Sandler cowboy movie they updated the version of Netflix I had on my roku and it started automatically playing the movie whenever I would scroll past it and I like to imagine that's how his movies have gotten so much playtime.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Captain Fantastic could've definitely been better with stronger direction and another pass at the script by someone not so in love with the characters, but I still liked it more than I expected to. Viggo's performance does a lot to deepen the material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_EMlpi_s9I

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Sing Street is on Netflix. You should watch it. It's from the Director of Once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWTcmjnEGY

I've never seen Once but Sing Street is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

A lot of people I know who are around my age (30 plus) fondly remember his 90s movies and swear they're hilarious but any time I dare them to watch one with me they end up going "well it was funnier when I was a kid"