Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Lobok posted:

Considering their history in Southland Tales and The Rundown, the F&F franchise can go for the Rock/Sean William Scott three-peat.

I would love a sequel to the Rundown. It's seriously a fantastic movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leavemywife posted:

I would love a sequel to the Rundown. It's seriously a fantastic movie.

I love it too but I only ever see support for it in enclaves of dedicated movie fans online. Mention it to people IRL and I get blank stares.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Lobok posted:

I love it too but I only ever see support for it in enclaves of dedicated movie fans online. Mention it to people IRL and I get blank stares.

I saw the rundown 4 times in theaters for some reason. Did my part

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

A lot of the charm was walken as your favorite sociopath uncle though,or as i Call it,a 0.9 on the walken scale.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

bows1 posted:

Movie is real good

It's hilarious how relevant it's becoming again.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Rundown is known as Welcome to the Jungle* in a whole lot of countries, so I was confused the first time it was brought up.

*Not to be confused with the comedy starring JVCD that was released a decade later.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

speaking of interracial marriage, a majority of americans didn't approve of it until 1997.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lobok posted:

Considering their history in Southland Tales and The Rundown, the F&F franchise can go for the Rock/Sean William Scott three-peat.

Sean William Scott deserves another shot. I like him but I agree with the poster earlier who said he deserves a better career.

Also has it really already been so long since Man from UNCLE? It feels like that was only a season or two ago, but it came out in August 2015? I wanted to see it but couldn't get a baby-sitter.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Man from uncle was great. Glad its getting a sequel there needs to be more spy capers in that style.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Groovelord Neato posted:

speaking of interracial marriage, a majority of americans didn't approve of it until 1997.

There are still a handful of states in the South which vehemently oppose it.

But, of course, Chief Justice Roberts told us that racism is over, which is why southern states raced to re-enact voter suppression laws about two seconds after the Shelby County decision.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

marshmallow creep posted:

Sean William Scott deserves another shot. I like him but I agree with the poster earlier who said he deserves a better career.

I feel like Bulletproof Monk was his shot at the Big Time, and it fizzled spectacularly. Am I wrong? I don't remember anything else where he was positioned as a blockbuster leading man.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jerkface posted:

Man from uncle was great. Glad its getting a sequel there needs to be more spy capers in that style.

I'd just love to see more spy caper films in general. Also gentleman (gentlelady?) thief flicks.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Phylodox posted:

I feel like Bulletproof Monk was his shot at the Big Time, and it fizzled spectacularly. Am I wrong? I don't remember anything else where he was positioned as a blockbuster leading man.

That was probably his biggest one, although The Rundown followed it. They really tried to make him the focal point of the American Pie series with American Wedding, but that one was not a critical success. I do like him as a comedic actor though, and wish he'd get more work. He is quite good in Goon and Role Models.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'd just love to see more spy caper films in general. Also gentleman (gentlelady?) thief flicks.

Atomic Blonde in a couple months :getin:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Atomic Blonde looks so loving good. It's cool to see a film go in a completely opposite direction to the Bourne films. I've enjoyed them, but it's just cool to have a bit of variety.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Phylodox posted:

There was also Dukes of hazzard

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Casimir Radon posted:

White Lucille Ball and Latino Desi Arnez was probably not all that hard to sell since they actually were married, and neither of them was black.

It actually was! I Love Lucy's basically an adaptation of a radio show starring Ball where her husband was a white man, but they wanted to adapt it with Desi Arnaz in the husband role. CBS wasn't into it, and they had to form Desilu and produce the pilot with their own money.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Wandle Cax posted:

There was also Dukes of hazzard

He had his chances, he's just a super one-dimensional actor.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Or is UNCLE coming back because Warners is sucking up for his family money

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Seann William Scott was in Goon which is extremely good and underrated.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

It actually was! I Love Lucy's basically an adaptation of a radio show starring Ball where her husband was a white man, but they wanted to adapt it with Desi Arnaz in the husband role. CBS wasn't into it, and they had to form Desilu and produce the pilot with their own money.

Yeah, it might seem quaint now, but the pushback on Desi Arnaz was really histrionic.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

LesterGroans posted:

Seann William Scott was in Goon which is extremely good and underrated.

Speaking of which, did anyone happen to catch Goon 2 during its theatrical run?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Violator posted:

I always thought in addition to Crank 1 and 2, that the first Transporter movie was Statham's big breakout role and considered a good action movie all things considered.

I love Crank but Crank 2 felt like it was trying way too hard to be a catchphrase/meme machine ("gently caress YOU CHELIOS!" :regd08:) and Statham's performance seemed to suffer a lot from that. He was a lot more fun as a no-nonsense hitman who was completely in over his head in the first movie while in two he seemed way more mean-spirited with the way he was hollering slurs at the Asian gangsters and taking pleasure in sadistic poo poo like shoving shotguns up dude's asses.

parallelodad posted:

Statham was fantastic in Spy, which is probably also Paul Feig and Melissa McCarthy's best film.

Spy is so fantastic. It feels a lot like Observe and Report in that its a comedian intentionally playing against type yet nobody watched it because by that point said comedian was so over-saturated that they assumed it was just another "wacky fat person falls over and yells" movie.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Guy Mann posted:

I love Crank but Crank 2 felt like it was trying way too hard to be a catchphrase/meme machine ("gently caress YOU CHELIOS!" :regd08:) and Statham's performance seemed to suffer a lot from that. He was a lot more fun as a no-nonsense hitman who was completely in over his head in the first movie while in two he seemed way more mean-spirited with the way he was hollering slurs at the Asian gangsters and taking pleasure in sadistic poo poo like shoving shotguns up dude's asses.
It did have a cool Mike Patton score at least, more movies should hire Mike Patton to do the score; I remember Place Beyond the Pines also having a great score

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Crank 2 is a perfect sequel.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Spy is so fantastic. It feels a lot like Observe and Report in that its a comedian intentionally playing against type yet nobody watched it because by that point said comedian was so over-saturated that they assumed it was just another "wacky fat person falls over and yells" movie.

Spy made a quarter of a billion dollars, what are you talking about?

It's actually even better than her playing against type, she plays about 4 characters, mirroring the lovely archetypes women tend to get shoved into in genre fiction. First she's forced to be the dowdy, mousey type, then she's sexed up, then she's a way overcompensating tough guy archetype, and finally, she's herself.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's the only thing Paul Feig's ever done that I've liked. It's his only film I've felt like it actually had a script.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
"What a stupid loving retarded toast" makes me crack up every time

http://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/154d8898-8589-47bc-a570-f4fd90a2fce1

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Mann posted:

In fairness, the commercials for Spy made it looks exactly like that.

I remember watching and enjoying Spy but I could not tell you a single thing that happened in it the day after I saw it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

In fairness, the commercials for Spy made it looks exactly like that.

I remember watching and enjoying Spy but I could not tell you a single thing that happened in it the day after I saw it.

She threw up on and then apologized to a corpse.

I liked it, but it was just that kind of movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Desilu also produced/filmed a ton of other shows including Star Trek, Mission: Impossible, The Untouchables, Hogan's Heroes, My Three Sons, The Dick Van Dyke Show, etc etc.. Also they weren't quite the first to use a multiple-camera setup to record their shows in front of a live studio audience but they pretty much perfected the technique and set the standard for the rest of the industry. Ball was the most powerful woman in Hollywood for quite a while, she was massively influential on the industry.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
In an ideal world Ryan Reynolds and Sean William Scott would share Deadpool, the American Pie of superhero movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Desilu also produced/filmed a ton of other shows including Star Trek, Mission: Impossible, The Untouchables, Hogan's Heroes, My Three Sons, The Dick Van Dyke Show, etc etc.. Also they weren't quite the first to use a multiple-camera setup to record their shows in front of a live studio audience but they pretty much perfected the technique and set the standard for the rest of the industry. Ball was the most powerful woman in Hollywood for quite a while, she was massively influential on the industry.

Arnaz was also a big believer in Rod Serling.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This got posted in the animation thread but more people deserve to see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs-tu4fj4zA

:dogbutton:

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I wanted to poke my head in here and deflate that UNCLE news. Armie Hammer said he got the first film's writer to throw together a script for a sequel that he would then shop around.

I can see why a studio would want to keep Armie happy in case he ever actually breaks out, but there's a 0 percent chance they'll greenlight an UNCLE sequel when a) the first film lost WB tens of millions on a low estimate and b) his costar has already jumped ship to MI:6, the franchise that sucked up most of UNCLE's potential audience.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I'm glad there's still someone making classic-style terrible, terrible animation to make lovely YouTube videos out of.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MI:6 should have been a Bond crossover.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

21 Muns posted:

I'm glad there's still someone making classic-style terrible, terrible animation to make lovely YouTube videos out of.
That voice made the part of my brain that remembers the Disney Straight To Video Sequel era scream.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Someone's fanfic has come alive! I hope Tom and Jerry meet The Twits next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tom and Jerry have done just about everything now. See their rendition of The Nutcracker. It's already tonaly bizarre but then at the end a rocking horse with self esteem issues smashes all of Tom's teeth out with a hammer.

• Locked thread