Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I assume pain in the rear end means "killed me." Since he's not a ringed city damage sponge or a gimmick boss

Yeah Vordt killed me a couple of times. Also worth mentioning I usually play Souls games while drinking, most bosses kill me once or twice. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I would get way too mad while drunk souls'ing.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Johnny Joestar posted:

the game has an easier time tracking two people hitting a big monster than two people trying to hit each other

This is because non-boss monsters have hits calculated by the client attacking.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've had enemies desync in coop but it's a lot harder to notice. Sometimes it's obvious when the connection drops state change information about a boss room (so you can never enter the fog gate) or the boss itself (so it never animates or attacks but instead just slides across the ground).

One time it took me and a friend half a minute to realize that the Seath bossfight in DS1 had completely desynched and the boss was in completely different positions, facing different players and doing entirely different attacks on each client. The game was still trying to sync up the player positions and states so you could always see the other player fighting their invisible boss version on your end, which was about as silly as you can imagine.

But at least most bosses never spam a roll move with a ton of iframes. Turns out fighting someone who does that is frustrating as gently caress.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Your Computer posted:

If anyone asks me why I don't like Dark Souls PvP I link them this wonderful video (that I think came from this thread?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryhKKGMSXE

Nearly all fights in every Souls game has been like this for me. :sigh: I know a lot of people (*cough* and goons) take PvP super seriously and get really mad when I say that I wish there was a way to turn off invasions in the games without sacrificing other online interactivity and/or (in DS3's case) health, but look at this. Look at it.

Yeah I dunno what's up with your connection then. I have seen lag but never that bad.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

My PvP has always been laggy, but it's a really consistent lag. It took me forever to figure out when I need to swing and dodge, because I have to do it like half a second early, which means a lot of prediction. Dark Souls PvP is fun, but in a really stupid way I've never taken remotely seriously. I like when people invade me and I can just piss around with 15 Estus and whittle them down. I've got nothing but time, and if you invade me world while I'm trying to play solo I have no qualms about being a dick.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

It's no different than blood vials in that way.

Blood vials work because:

1. There's a dedicated button to their use available at all times. You will NEVER get tangled up in your inventory looking to heal in Bloodborne.
2. They are the only healing item you get, and you acquire them as a regular reward for combat encounters. Their drop rate doesn't really even diminish until very late in the game and in certain areas; you can reliably retrieve them from werewolf enemies, who appear in most every stage of the game in some variation or another. Same with large giants. You will, if you are playing well, be regularly replenishing your stock.
3. Running out of your healing resource and having to go hunt for more, by hunting enemies who you know drop a lot of blood, is thematically fitting with your role as a hunter. It enhances immersion while also providing a meaningful cost to bad play; gently caress up and waste your healing items and you have to go work to get more. It's not a hard process, since enemies who drop them are easy to reach and easy to kill.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HaB posted:

Yeah I dunno what's up with your connection then. I have seen lag but never that bad.

My best guess is geographical location, but I'm not sure what sort of connection Dark Souls uses and whether or not it's limited by region so I can't tell for sure. :iiam: I have a good bandwidth and no issues elsewhere, although I rarely play online games (and when I do, it's mostly MMOs).

Unrelated:

what do you guys think of my newest fashion souls? :wink:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Blood vials work because:

1. There's a dedicated button to their use available at all times. You will NEVER get tangled up in your inventory looking to heal in Bloodborne.
2. They are the only healing item you get, and you acquire them as a regular reward for combat encounters. Their drop rate doesn't really even diminish until very late in the game and in certain areas; you can reliably retrieve them from werewolf enemies, who appear in most every stage of the game in some variation or another. Same with large giants. You will, if you are playing well, be regularly replenishing your stock.
3. Running out of your healing resource and having to go hunt for more, by hunting enemies who you know drop a lot of blood, is thematically fitting with your role as a hunter. It enhances immersion while also providing a meaningful cost to bad play; gently caress up and waste your healing items and you have to go work to get more. It's not a hard process, since enemies who drop them are easy to reach and easy to kill.

1.It's not the game's fault you can't manage your inventory.
2.Heal gems dropped all over the drat place. I can't think of a single playthrough of DS2 I've done where I didn't have 99 of most types despite being pretty liberal with their usage.
3.It's kind of bullshit to poo poo on heal gems but then celebrate having to constantly go grind for more blood vials in bloodborne man.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Blood vials and the weird DkS2 Estus shortage were both bad, the healing mechanic is one thing Dark Souls nailed and you didn't need to complicate or iterate on it how they did

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

2.Heal gems dropped all over the drat place. I can't think of a single playthrough of DS2 I've done where I didn't have 99 of most types despite being pretty liberal with their usage.
3.It's kind of bullshit to poo poo on heal gems but then celebrate having to constantly go grind for more blood vials in bloodborne man.

1. It's just better. You still have an inventory, but you have a dedicated heal-button. It's superior design, it costs nothing and improves everything.
2. See above.
3. Heal gems worked less effectively than blood vials and were one of half a dozen healing items in DS2, which was clogged with them by the end. "Managing your inventory" wasn't necessary in DS1, where Estus was a really smartly-balanced damage/healing, and forced you to consider whether you should go forward or retreat. and replenish your stock. Bloodborne doesn't want to encourage you to backtrack, so it is constantly driving you to keep going, either to restock your vials/bullets with the next set of enemies or to hopefully find a lantern or shortcut so you can go and replenish your resources/empower your character in safety.

Either way, the healing options are meaningful, whereas DS2 gives you so many that it loses any of the decisive, tactical element present in Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think DS3 is the closest they've come to an ideal healing system. I'd prefer it if you didn't heal instantly but they would have to rebalance the PvE around that or the game would be a lot harder.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This is really bad from a game design standpoint. Players who are struggling are the ones you don't want to punish by forcing them to go through tedium, because it makes things more frustrating for them. The Souls series usually strikes a good balance between being punishing but not tedious. That's why the estus system is good; it doesn't matter if you gently caress up and make no progress as long as you are determined to try again. But in Bloodborne if you run out of vials you have to go farm them and that's boring. Its not immersive to have to go to some easy area and kill trash enemies to refill your blood vials efficiently.

Your Computer posted:

what do you guys think of my newest fashion souls? :wink:

Not big on the fashion but you get style points for using the twin axes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Within DS2, I actually like that heal gems heal you in a slightly different way than Estus does, with one heal persisting even once you've hit full health and one not; meaning if you crack a gem and drop down a ledge, it'd leave you healing after suffering fall damage, whereas your Estus recovery would cease the moment you reached full health. So it's not that DS2 wasn't thoughtful in how they designed their healing items; they just completely missed the point of why Estus was limited as it was in the first place.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I would have way preferred having an exclusive button to chug Estus instead of fumbling between firebombs/alluring skulls and whatnot and accidentally consuming a resin when I meant to try to flip to my flask in the middle of a fight.

Part of this is the 360 controller having a legendarily awful D-pad, but still...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nuebot posted:

I dunno if it's exactly a "celebration", Bloodborne's system depends entirely on the simplification of the inventory. There's one healing item and one kind of projectile, each has its own button, and they both are dropping from enemies constantly.

Lifegems are OK, but it feels like they tried to find a balance between the grass from DeS and the flask from DS1 and kind of screwed up both in the process. Then again, I'm a big fan of stuff being an instant heal, and the change to timed heals for both strikes me as a solution to a problem that didn't need to be addressed in the first place.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

This is really bad from a game design standpoint. Players who are struggling are the ones you don't want to punish by forcing them to go through tedium, because it makes things more frustrating for them. The Souls series usually strikes a good balance between being punishing but not tedious. That's why the estus system is good; it doesn't matter if you gently caress up and make no progress as long as you are determined to try again. But in Bloodborne if you run out of vials you have to go farm them and that's boring. Its not immersive to have to go to some easy area and kill trash enemies to refill your blood vials efficiently.

Counterpoint: I sucked at parrying, and I had to kill those two giants in Central Yharnam to get more vials to take on Gascoigne again on my first playthrough. Fighting those enemies conventionally is pretty drat hard, but they drop three vials a pop most of the time, so it's really worth it to try, especially since they aren't as hard as the beasts on the bridge. The ideal way to kill these guys is to parry them; as a new player, I learned how to watch for parry timings because my need for blood forced me to take on a foe that challenged me to approach it tactically.

This made me a much better Bloodborne player as a result, and I was always able to get four-to-six blood vials in a single run with a cost of two bullets and five minutes' time back and forth, a small price to pay for the joys of parrying all those pesky son bitches that think they can invade me in Mergo's Loft come at me scrubs.

At the very least a dedicated heal button is an objectively good thing and I anticipate that Miyazaki will keep this in whatever his next title is.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

my cat is norris posted:

Hello you can laugh at me if you want, I just wanted to show off my super nicely made engagement ring. :shobon:

Solid 18kt gold, about $600 between commissioning the sculptor and the jeweler. My fiance has the Darkmoon ring in solid silver. No we're not having a Souls wedding that would be loving insane but for our engagement we might as well celebrate the thing that first drew us together. OKAY BYE.

Congratulations! :3:
Just, don't do a "Londorian-style" wedding.

(Which reminds me of the fact that technically, by the laws of Dark Souls matrimony, the Bearer of the Curse is married to the Embedded.)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dewgy posted:

I dunno if it's exactly a "celebration", Bloodborne's system depends entirely on the simplification of the inventory. There's one healing item and one kind of projectile, each has its own button, and they both are dropping from enemies constantly.

Lifegems are OK, but it feels like they tried to find a balance between the grass from DeS and the flask from DS1 and kind of screwed up both in the process. Then again, I'm a big fan of stuff being an instant heal, and the change to timed heals for both strikes me as a solution to a problem that didn't need to be addressed in the first place.

The problem with instant heals is that in the first dark souls every invader seemed to have 99 humanities and would use them at the drop of a hat. Even hosts would use humanities instead of chugging estus because it didn't make you glow bright orange and was easier to run and pop one off before returning to the fight. 2 was the best regarding healing because any time someone ran off to heal you could just catch up to them and smash them before the healing finished. Now in three we're back to everyone just healing forever.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nuebot posted:

The problem with instant heals is that in the first dark souls every invader seemed to have 99 humanities and would use them at the drop of a hat. Even hosts would use humanities instead of chugging estus because it didn't make you glow bright orange and was easier to run and pop one off before returning to the fight. 2 was the best regarding healing because any time someone ran off to heal you could just catch up to them and smash them before the healing finished. Now in three we're back to everyone just healing forever.

That's an entirely PvP focused decision though, and it just makes PvE (which you're doing most of the time in Dark Souls) way more annoying.

Bloodborne again has the best solution: Heal parrying. :getin:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Iretep posted:

the proper wedding rings are havels rings and ring of favor and protection.

I admired this post, sir. It's got stamina, health, and endurance. Everything you could ever want.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Hooray, sunlight straight sword acquired, and only at SL45. After beating pontiff, I figured I would just give dancer a shot. The saint's bident was sucking, so I just bought the dark hand to play with. Turns out that worked fine, and I darkhand punched the dancer to death without summed help on my first try without issue. I guess the darkhand is still a pretty good starter weapon for not requiring any stats or upgrades.

Curious to put the new improved sunlight straight sword through its pace. Went and ran through the dungeon to get sunlight blade too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dewgy posted:

That's an entirely PvP focused decision though, and it just makes PvE (which you're doing most of the time in Dark Souls) way more annoying.

Bloodborne again has the best solution: Heal parrying. :getin:

I was actually surprised they didn't put healing criticals in this game too.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gologle posted:

I admired this post, sir. It's got stamina, health, and endurance. Everything you could ever want.

The most min-maxed marriage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your Computer posted:

If anyone asks me why I don't like Dark Souls PvP I link them this wonderful video (that I think came from this thread?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryhKKGMSXE

Nearly all fights in every Souls game has been like this for me. :sigh: I know a lot of people (*cough* and goons) take PvP super seriously and get really mad when I say that I wish there was a way to turn off invasions in the games without sacrificing other online interactivity and/or (in DS3's case) health, but look at this. Look at it.

A bunch of people lost their minds over dark souls 2 not having infinite invasion items but that fact certainly improved the gently caress out of my experience with it. Being able to play the whole thing start to finish in coordinated co-op with my brother and hardly ever have to deal with dumbass hackers was great, and a big reason it was my favorite game.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I feel like I'm in the minority for really enjoying slapping on Way of the Blue and a dried finger when running through areas I've done once before. The chaos of 2 invaders and a bluecop is just fantastic to me. I've seen some real troopers too, for bluecops. Some managed to mulch like 5 invaders in a row.

I'm also polite, if there's only one invader and a bluecop, I let them fight it out while I deal with any nearby NPCs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Digirat posted:

A bunch of people lost their minds over dark souls 2 not having infinite invasion items but that fact certainly improved the gently caress out of my experience with it. Being able to play the whole thing start to finish in coordinated co-op with my brother and hardly ever have to deal with dumbass hackers was great, and a big reason it was my favorite game.

If someone was hacking they would just give themselves 99 cracked eye orbs though. It didn't help at all in that regard.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

If someone was hacking they would just give themselves 99 cracked eye orbs though. It didn't help at all in that regard.

Point. We still saw far fewer hackers than dark souls 1 however, which I can only assume was due to the game being more secure than 1, if I'm remembering tallgeese correctly. Or maybe we just got lucky.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Man, I don't want to be a dick or anything, but a half-dozen pages about which DkS sucks so much is kind of a bummer.

Are the Ringed Knight weapons really that good? I mean, yeah, the Paired Greatswords, sure. But the Straight Sword? I guess I'm always thinking of things in terms of their PvE effectiveness, so if something can't be infused and/or buffed, I guess it makes it pretty easy for me to write it off as a truly "elite" weapon. Am I overlooking something, or is the quality of the Ringed Knight Straight Sword and Spear exclusively their potency in PvP?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the demons souls healing system was the best because you were just jamming wads of grass into your mouth

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

the demons souls healing system was the best because you were just jamming wads of grass into your mouth

it made invading a waste of time since youd just stuff grass on your face forever. the best way to kill someone was to just bring a scraping spear and have the host kill themselves so they wouldnt break all their equipment.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this doesn't affect my assessment that shoving wads of grass into your mouth is the best

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Were you pulling this grass out of a pouch, like stuffing Redman into your craw?

That is pretty awesome.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
its awsome until you realise youve been fighting the same invader for an hour because neither of you refuse to stuff grass down your throat.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress yes. took two tries to kill friede on ng solo. level 100, 40/40 with refined sabre and 30 vig. first time I got two shot by her big jump in air attack blackflame thing and a follow-up, after that I kept topped off and just stayed real aggressive. ate a ton of damage but staggered her nicely.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Iretep posted:

its awsome until you realise youve been fighting the same invader for an hour because neither of you refuse to stuff grass down your throat.

That's quintessentially Dark Souls, and it's not even Dark Souls!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Digirat posted:

That video... was just lag, sorry to say.

Zero hacking there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I wasn't saying it was hacking

For this game's netcode, it was tuesday

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I once connected to a guy from South Africa in GFWL DS1.

It was... an interesting experience. He didn't even spawn correctly.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I generally don't have any problems with lag or connectivity, and I live in Mexico.
However, since the last time I updated, I've been having a problem where sometimes my pc will kind of idle for a second and drop a few frames before starting up again, since it's old. The weird thing is that after these idles, which have always happened, it now desyncs me from anything for about 10 seconds. It's bizarre when it happens in duels, and I'll be fighting just fine, then it will just break with people jogging in place for a bit, then after a few seconds it will all get sorted out and work perfectly, usually with my opponent standing somewhere away from me staring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

I once connected to a guy from South Africa in GFWL DS1.

It was... an interesting experience. He didn't even spawn correctly.

Last time I did some spears of the church there was a network error during the invasion so we fought an invisible halflight while the host flew around the room T-posing the whole time.