Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Aces High posted:

how much money are they sinking into these catheter ads anyway?

who knows, but they have HBO money to play with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
And as they pointed out, ad space during The O'Reilly Factor is suddenly a lot cheaper than it used to be.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know where the previous goon is from, but when they introduced these ads they said they were only airing in the DC area, so it's probably a regional ad purchased through RCN and costs no more than Bob's Chevrolet of Arlington or whatever spends on an advertisement.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Oliver said they'd also be airing them in NYC. I can't imagine either market is cheap to advertise in, but maybe this particular show is cheap right now.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Didn't John Oliver and LWT make a SuperPAC or something a long time ago? Probably using the money from donations to that for the show's sillier stuff, like FoxNews ad buys of a catheter cowboy lecturing Trump. :P

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Apoplexy posted:

Didn't John Oliver and LWT make a SuperPAC or something a long time ago? Probably using the money from donations to that for the show's sillier stuff, like FoxNews ad buys of a catheter cowboy lecturing Trump. :P

It was Our Lady of the Perpetual Exemption, which was a legal tax-exempt church. They already gave away the donations to Doctors Without Borders.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Apoplexy posted:

Colbert was the one that did a superpac back when he had a good show.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Ah, gotcha, it was, indeed, the church that I was thinking of. And you'd be surprised, but Colbert turned his show around a full 180 from the shitstorm it was before Trump was elected. It's now The Colbert Report in an hour-long slot.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They've always had a bit of a budget, and they haven't actually done too many stunts this season aside from the ads and one Zebra suit.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Apoplexy posted:

Ah, gotcha, it was, indeed, the church that I was thinking of. And you'd be surprised, but Colbert turned his show around a full 180 from the shitstorm it was before Trump was elected. It's now The Colbert Report in an hour-long slot.
The only real surprise to me is that they let him off the leash enough to be political, but once it did well of course they just let him go nuts with it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SlothfulCobra posted:

They've always had a bit of a budget, and they haven't actually done too many stunts this season aside from the ads and one Zebra suit.

Most of that budget goes to the investigation team though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

M_Gargantua posted:

Most of that budget goes to the investigation team though.

It's really something that their investigative work is basically justified by the silly poo poo stunts.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I assume that LWT has a standing mascot budget separate from everything else. Considering how comparatively few mascots they've had this season that means that we are coming due for a deluge of new mascots.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gyges posted:

I assume that LWT has a standing mascot budget separate from everything else. Considering how comparatively few mascots they've had this season that means that we are coming due for a deluge of new mascots.

Did we ever need anything but frozen gently caress lizards?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Oliver said they'd also be airing them in NYC. I can't imagine either market is cheap to advertise in, but maybe this particular show is cheap right now.

Yeah, I'm in a NYC market.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
The ending of tonight's episode was amazing.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I wonder how much practice it took for him to get that down.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Mélenchon would have won.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I laughed far far to hard at Larry Skywalker and his weird bear.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That guy seems like the french version of Herman Cain. It also seems unfair to bring in one of the candidates' romantic life into things, because if we're going to start talking about the weird sex lives of french presidents, we'll be here all day.

There was a missed opportunity of not mentioning one of the last big French exits: Vietnam.

I've known for a while that France had a lot of issues with nationalism and islamophobia and whatnot, and I've been hearing rumors that they'll try leaving the EU, so I guess most of this wasn't that surprising. It's bizarre to see all the news people in France pulling the same ol' everything's fine in a burning building routine after this has already happened multiple times with major countries in the world. The fact that there is a crazy harmful party holding seats with a candidate actually in the running in the first place is a major sign that there are major things wrong and even if she doesn't take the election, that doesn't mean you don't have major problems. It was already a horror show when Trump got past the primaries.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If nothing else at least it's going to be an amusing bit of historical irony that WW3 will be democratic Germany against a fascist France, UK, and US.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Gyges posted:

You know it's an HBO show when they've got a budget line for lobster.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I still love his longer pieces, but the news of the week part at the beginning is getting more and more tedious. I don't even watch much other TV, but I feel like I've heard/seen a millions comments/jokes on the Holocaust centers and chocolate cake thing already. Surely our President and his press secretary have said something else dumb, but less well known this week.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

I still love his longer pieces, but the news of the week part at the beginning is getting more and more tedious. I don't even watch much other TV, but I feel like I've heard/seen a millions comments/jokes on the Holocaust centers and chocolate cake thing already. Surely our President and his press secretary have said something else dumb, but less well known this week.
The show is literally called Last Week Tonight.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

LividLiquid posted:

The show is literally called Last Week Tonight.

If only politics in America involved more than one man and his fuckstick press secretary.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Baronash posted:

If only politics in America involved more than one man and his fuckstick press secretary.

Considering most of the governmental agencies still don't even have nominations proposed yet, it basically is just a doddering old fat guy and his stammering mess of a press secretary.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mr. Fowl posted:

You know it's an HBO show when they've got a budget line for lobster.

I know the host is English, but don't refer to people like that. It's the 21st century.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

I know the host is English, but don't refer to people like that. It's the 21st century.

Yeah, you should call him by his preferred "rat-faced bastard".

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Neeksy posted:

Considering most of the governmental agencies still don't even have nominations proposed yet, it basically is just a doddering old fat guy and his stammering mess of a press secretary.

Iowa is trying to roll back minimum wage increases, ban abortion, destroy worker's comp, and cut research for sustainable agriculture at the best ag school in the country, and they've only been in session for 3 months. But you're right, the real news is the press secretary calling concentration camps "holocaust centers."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Baronash posted:

Iowa is trying to roll back minimum wage increases, ban abortion, destroy worker's comp, and cut research for sustainable agriculture at the best ag school in the country, and they've only been in session for 3 months. But you're right, the real news is the press secretary calling concentration camps "holocaust centers."

Maybe they would talk about it if Iowa had more than 7 viewers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Sounds like Iowa is just being Iowa. Or do we need to complain that nobody is talking about what some idiot did in Florida last hour?

Edit: And I just realized that Trump is that idiot in Florida. My apologies.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 18, 2017

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Gyges posted:

Sounds like Iowa is just being Iowa. Or do we need to complain that nobody is talking about what some idiot did in Florida last hour?

Edit: And I just realized that Trump is that idiot in Florida. My apologies.

This isn't some PTA president embezzling money. It's the state legislature taking an axe to any hint of progressivism purely out of spite, actions which will have long lasting impacts on the lives of millions of people. And they're getting away with it because everyone wants to laugh at Melania nudging Trump to put his hand over his heart.

I personally would love to see John drop the weekly recap. But if people are committed to the idea of "hurr durr it's called LAST WEEK Tonight," then maybe he should get into the heinous poo poo that is actually happening right now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Baronash posted:

You could have posted this from 1983 and I'd believe it. Iowa sucking dicks is nothing new, Trump is a relatively recent development.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If you live in Iowa are you campaigning against these awful regressive policies? Are you donating to youre local party? Calling youre state representitives? Town Halls?

Because if Iowans as a whole are lazy or dumb enough to be ok with this well Last Week Tonight isn't going to change their mind.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baronash posted:

"Holocaust centers" is funnier than "cutting research for sustainable agriculture". LWT is primarily a comedy show and they can only cover a few things in the opening monologue so they pick the most egregiously ridiculous events from the previous week, slap together a few quick jokes about them, air a brief clip montage of morning hosts awkwardly hitting each other or making Easter puns and then they dive into the main segment which leads up to their stunt/dance routine of the week.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Basically everything is terrible right now and he only gets half an hour a week to cover it so he has to pick.

That said if you're concerned about it, have you thought about getting in contact with the show? It is the sort of thing they tend to cover and they might be more likely to mention it if someone brings it to their attention.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The UK clearly saw John's main piece this week and were feeling sad about the lack of attention

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a reason why LWT has been so stingy on uploading stories to YouTube this season?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is there a reason why LWT has been so stingy on uploading stories to YouTube this season?

Maybe they want to pump up the HBO numbers and encourage people to pay for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I believe they've only ever uploaded the final segments on the official channel, though it's pretty easy to find the other portions on non-official channels.

• Locked thread