Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ewen Cluney posted:

As I recall the original Planescape boxed set mentioned that (1) the Lady of Pain is ultimately just a symbol of the mysteriousness of the multiverse, and (2) people who try to worship her as a goddess typically turn up dead, with their skin flayed off (which is probably where her moniker came from). In Pages of Pain she mentions that she can't allow herself to be worshiped because she has to not be a god in order to keep the other gods out of Sigil and messing things up. Which is sort of a neat idea, but having revelations about a character whose main purpose is literally to be mysterious seems kinda counterproductive.

Yeah, it's massively point-missing. But a lot of Planescape's later materials swerves from the primary source - Faction War is goddamn mess with one of the key NPCs literally manipulating the Lady of Pain, speaking as one of the few who had to suffer through making lemonade out of that lemon. Then you have Die, Vecna, Die, which has Vecna show up as a god and the Lady of Pain has to sit back on her duff because apparently the fight between the two would destroy Sigil. I mean... wasn't that point of her... to keep gods out of... oh, well... :cripes:

I mean, not to say you can't break a hard "setting rule" like that, but you have to have something more compelling come out of it, and it didn't happen in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
So in the interest of confusing myself as much as possible I still haven't read the 59 pages of backstory for CV's Shadow's Edge - but I have started reading through the classes.

First class alphabetically, the Afflicted, caught me a little off guard - as its a total love letter to ToME's Cursed/Doomed. Also ToME's Oozemancer. Also ToME's Corruptor? It feels a little disjointed.

The second class is 33 pages long.

I guess I wasn't really gonna start preparing that UA campaign tonight anyway.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Finally! Our very own champion to take on Synnabar and Talislanta. :toot:

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Anniversary posted:

So in the interest of confusing myself as much as possible I still haven't read the 59 pages of backstory for CV's Shadow's Edge - but I have started reading through the classes.

Haha, don't worry too much. It's written sloppily in the form of a timeline, so most of the document is blank space. And the "Backstory Part Two" document is actually a .txt file with 2 sentences written in it.

Anniversary posted:

First class alphabetically, the Afflicted, caught me a little off guard - as its a total love letter to ToME's Cursed/Doomed. Also ToME's Oozemancer. Also ToME's Corruptor? It feels a little disjointed.

Holy poo poo, you recognized that?! Well drat, that means I'm going to bet that you're going to know exactly what everything in the game is based off of, no matter how embarrassing.

Anniversary posted:

The second class is 33 pages long.

I guess I wasn't really gonna start preparing that UA campaign tonight anyway.

:unsmigghh:

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

There is a class here that causes an atomic explosion that it can't *die* from and that recharges its fuel stat.

Every time I think I'm done, something like this comes up and I have to know what more there is.

That class, the Alchemist, has its ultimate ability as a FMA riffing Create Life.

e: Also, am I missing a ton of rules hidden somewhere? Or is it just Basic Rules plus Odd Rules?

Anniversary fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 18, 2017

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Anniversary posted:

There is a class here that causes an atomic explosion that it can't *die* from and that recharges its fuel stat.

Every time I think I'm done, something like this comes up and I have to know what more there is.

That class, the Alchemist, has its ultimate ability as a FMA riffing Create Life.

e: Also, am I missing a ton of rules hidden somewhere? Or is it just Basic Rules plus Odd Rules?

You know, as soon as I read you describe "Bursting Molecule" that way, I started laughing hysterically. It's like, the players I game with, they accept all the things I've put into the game completely straight-faced. I say "The villain casts a spell to cause thousands of insects to cover his skin, giving him insect powers" and they nod sagely, because yes of course covering every inch of your body with insects would grant you their strength. You, on the other hand, actually have a reaction to the absurdity of it all, which brings an abnormal amount of joy to me. I really do appreciate you reading through what basically amounts to my "life work", well, as far as hobbies are concerned.

And that won't be the last anime reference you see, hoo boy.

The "Basic Rules" and "Odd Rules" should cover everything, unless there's some important rule that I forgot to type down. I don't know why I don't have them combined into a single "Rules" document at this point.

In other news, I downloaded slap me and kiss me's Player Guide because I liked the bullet points they gave us. I like what I'm reading so far. It's definitely got lore that's not your typical fantasy, the "Challenge" system is pretty neat and is a great way to make the mechanics apply to any situation that could come up in a game. Plus, any game that lets you play an Insectoid creature is a huge plus. I also really liked that instead of just a Race / Class, it has Race / Background / Class, which lets you have a backstory independent from how you fight. Having a focus on non-combat prowess is also a cool touch, since I've always considered a character's non-combat capabilities just as important as how good they are at killing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cartoon Violence posted:

In other news, I downloaded slap me and kiss me's Player Guide because I liked the bullet points they gave us. I like what I'm reading so far. It's definitely got lore that's not your typical fantasy, the "Challenge" system is pretty neat and is a great way to make the mechanics apply to any situation that could come up in a game. Plus, any game that lets you play an Insectoid creature is a huge plus. I also really liked that instead of just a Race / Class, it has Race / Background / Class, which lets you have a backstory independent from how you fight. Having a focus on non-combat prowess is also a cool touch, since I've always considered a character's non-combat capabilities just as important as how good they are at killing.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but you should definitely check out Strike! if you haven't, it's basically exactly what you're saying you like.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758699

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Countblanc posted:

Someone mentioned it earlier, but you should definitely check out Strike! if you haven't, it's basically exactly what you're saying you like.

:hfive:

Cartoon Violence posted:

You know, as soon as I read you describe "Bursting Molecule" that way, I started laughing hysterically. It's like, the players I game with, they accept all the things I've put into the game completely straight-faced. I say "The villain casts a spell to cause thousands of insects to cover his skin, giving him insect powers" and they nod sagely, because yes of course covering every inch of your body with insects would grant you their strength. You, on the other hand, actually have a reaction to the absurdity of it all, which brings an abnormal amount of joy to me. I really do appreciate you reading through what basically amounts to my "life work", well, as far as hobbies are concerned.

Crimson Knight? (Its a, usually, devil worshiping class that gets a bunch of insect/vermin themed abilities that scale to do less damage to bigger things - and get better effects when there enemies are debuffed.)

Also there's a class that's a summoner and also Bloodseeker x Phantom Lancer? That can auto-summon illusions of its summons, which it pays for in blood. I have no clue how you deal with that other than bring a lot of AoEs? Maybe?

I think my favorite name for a thing so far:

Crusader Language Arts

e: There's an alignment system? I guess I should've noticed that when it was 'Evil' and not 'evil'.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cartoon Violence posted:

Check out HeroQuest 2 which uses a the same system for physical, social, and environmental "combat" by using opposed ability checks. Anything a character can use to solve a problem is considered an ability. i.e. backgrounds, culture, equipment, skills, knowledge, professions, etc.

Not a tactical system but it is an interesting take on a unified conflict resolution system.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Anniversary posted:

Crimson Knight? (Its a, usually, devil worshiping class that gets a bunch of insect/vermin themed abilities that scale to do less damage to bigger things - and get better effects when there enemies are debuffed.)

Also there's a class that's a summoner and also Bloodseeker x Phantom Lancer? That can auto-summon illusions of its summons, which it pays for in blood. I have no clue how you deal with that other than bring a lot of AoEs? Maybe?

Crimson Knight wasn't a direct anime reference, no, but you summarized it pretty well. I was partially inspired by the way Unholy Death Knights in WoW are (used to? Haven't played one in ages) designed for debuffs to power up damaging abilities. Otherwise, like you said, I just went for the insect / vermin motif. I wanted something that could fit an evil archetype of both holy and devil based magical knight characters.

I've never played DotA, but I just looked up those two classes and yeah they are definitely the same "feel" I was going for with the Bloodcaller. My main inspiration for the illusion spells for it was the Mesmer from Guild Wars 2. And do you mean how one would fight and kill a Bloodcaller? Well, there are a couple of Classes that have the ability to dispel Summons specifically, and while it's up to the GM, I typically make characters who have really high IQ or are just really clever see through Illusions. Gnomes, for instance, can see through Illusions as a racial trait. Other than that, yeah, AOE's would be a good hard counter for a character that summons a lot of crap at once. After all, you can just straight up murder an illusion to disbelieve it! :v:

Another thing I should point out since I forgot to put it in the Basic Rules is you don't get everything on a Class table. You start with and earn Skill Points to buy which abilities you want from the tables at the cost of 1 point per Rank.

Anniversary posted:

e: There's an alignment system? I guess I should've noticed that when it was 'Evil' and not 'evil'.

Wait! poo poo, no, I removed the alignment system a couple of years ago, and I thought I removed every trace of it from the charts. (The Crimson Knight used to have a lot of alignment-based spells) Could you let me know where you saw reference to it so I can get rid of it?

Countblanc posted:

Kibner posted:

Check out HeroQuest 2 which uses a the same system for physical, social, and environmental "combat" by using opposed ability checks. Anything a character can use to solve a problem is considered an ability. i.e. backgrounds, culture, equipment, skills, knowledge, professions, etc.

Not a tactical system but it is an interesting take on a unified conflict resolution system.

Both of these sound right up my alley! They, along with the game I mentioned in my previous post, have got me all excited and I'd love to try them with my group sometime when we're between campaigns or whatever. Thanks for all three of the amazing game suggestions! :)

Cartoon Violence fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 18, 2017

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm not really sure why I wrote this thing, but I guess I might as well share it now. Basically, I like Tolkienian dwarves, but feel like writers often fail to put much thought into their society. It kinda evolved into it's own thing from there.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Hey guys, how do I convince my friends that Dogs in the Vineyard is cool and good, actually?

I gave a brief rundown the concept and they were real interested in playing until we cracked open the book and got to the setting.

They immediately dismissed it as Mormon propaganda, and couldn't reconcile the idea that absolute authority was a) granted to some teens or young adults, and b) could come from faith at all.
Exact quote; "a kid with a gun and a book is a violent extremist, and not somebody that anyone is going to listen to".

I'm real confused at the sudden swing in opinion, might be the Atheism shining through. Should I try to persuade them it's not horseshit, or go with the proposed Mafia enforcer setting instead, or just drop it since the game is now tainted in their perspective?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You could remind them it's just a game and you're not explicitly endorsing Mormonism. Just like how in D&D you're not explicitly endorsing worship of Pelor, the sun god, even though his clerics gain the power to nuke zombies using His glorious face.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's armchair medicine, so take it with a grain of salt, but I think your players might have a tumorous fedora. Please seek professional help for them.

[edit] Or try reminding them it's just a setting and it's more about clashing different perspectives rather than any sort of proselytizing - maybe remind them the authority Dogs have is all just the cosensus of the faithful and there's still federal government that doesn't take kindly to your sharia bullshit? Though I'm sorry to say, unless you've made some missteps in introducing it that led everyone to think it's some legit Bible Adventures bullshit about the dangers of masturbation, players throwing a tantrum over the biblemen might be an indication that group should stick to killing goblins, rather than navigating muddy moral dilemmas.

[edit2] Please tell them an internet stranger is mocking their babby comfort zone.

[edit3] Tell them you were going to run a kickass Unkown Armies campaign, but they've just flunked the maturity test.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 18, 2017

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Play it as a violent extremism RPG? :jihad: in the Vineyard?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
They don't let teenagers pilot advanced military hardware, either, and yet 90% of mech pilots are still in high school. All settings are inherently dumb.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Seriously though, you either assuage their fears and have them play a loving role, or ditch it. If your players don't buy the idea behind the game, it'll be a just a terrible, pointless trainwreck.

As is the case with most focused indies, I suppose.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The whole point of the setting is "mormonism might actually be weird and creepily absolutist".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Point that despite widespread mockery Joseph Smith was in fact an annointed prophet and had his AIDS cured by loving a frog instead of a baby like his fellow New England tribesmen and that the Book of Mormon is on par with the two testaments in theological lore and that Utah is a lovely place due to ther faith and they should convert to the Church of the Latter Saints to save their souls.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Plutonis posted:

Point that despite widespread mockery Joseph Smith was in fact an annointed prophet and that the Book of Mormon is on par with the two testaments in theological lore and that Utah is a lovely place due to ther faith and they should convert to the Church of the Latter Saints to save their souls.

Now there's the Plutonis I remember.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

Siivola posted:

The whole point of the setting is "mormonism might actually be weird and creepily absolutist".
I believe it's explicitly "people armed with guns and religion can't fix a community's problems."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Halloween Jack posted:

I believe it's explicitly "people armed with guns and religion can't fix a community's problems."

Yeah, the cycle of play in Dogs usually doesn't end happily. If the PCs fail to the point that they draw guns, somebody's going to die.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
tbh play apocalypse world instead of dogs if people have trouble with mormons for whatever reason

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cartoon Violence posted:

Both of these sound right up my alley! They, along with the game I mentioned in my previous post, have got me all excited and I'd love to try them with my group sometime when we're between campaigns or whatever. Thanks for all three of the amazing game suggestions! :)

No problem! And if you like lore, HeroQuest has a setting called Glorantha. One of the taglines of it is "all myths are true, especially the contradicting ones". If you want more lore stuff than what is easily findable online, there is the Guide to Glorantha which is two giant tomes of lore, presented in an encyclopedic format. That link is for the much more affordable .pdf version, but the print version is just a beaut.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

slap me and kiss me posted:

Speaking of sharing, I've just finished and posted rev 004 of my post-apocalyptic fantasy game, featuring kung-fu grip, and a brand new character creation system.

You might want to take a look at this if...

... you enjoy tactical combat, but dislike having nothing to do in between taking your turns;
... you enjoy gradated success in modern games like Fate and Dungeon World, but want a tactical component to your gameplay;
... you like the character building of D&D 4e, but dislike the item treadmill and fiddly feat choices; and
... you like the simplicity of D&D 5e's advantages and disadvantages ... but 5e

Download the GM content for Playtest 004
Download the Player content for Playtest 004
Quoting this so I'll maybe remember it when I return from my holiday.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Did anyone here back the Paranoia kickstarter? I missed that as a thing that happened, but I'm curious how the final product will turn out.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm just going to leave this here: Will Smith will star in an movie where he is a cop and an Orc is his partner.

Covok fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 18, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
mods please rename me to "mean-rear end elves"

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Max Landis is such a loving dork.
Edit: remember how mad he got whenbAmerican Ultra bombed?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

American Ultra was a strange movie. I thought it was funny, but I guess that's not what audiences wanted?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
It was marketed poorly but at the same time I can't imagine it as a movie that people would want to see and not accidentally watch.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think the only reason I went to see it was because Max Landis was involved. I can't remember if I thought that was a positive point or if I was irony-watching.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I saw the Best of the Worst where they had Max Landis as a guest and I never wanted to kill someone with a hatchet so much before.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Plutonis posted:

I saw the Best of the Worst where they had Max Landis as a guest and I never wanted to kill someone with a hatchet so much before.

But enough about Rich Evans, what did you think of Max Landis?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It's amazing how much he's blatantly ripping off Shadowrun. Except, I guess, it isn't the cyperpunk future.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i liked Chronicle and have enough good will from that to watch anything else he's done

if being a raging douchebag in real life put me off your movies i'd probably have to write off like half of my top ten list, including my favorite movie of all time

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

Max Landis is such a loving dork.
Edit: remember how mad he got whenbAmerican Ultra bombed?

He's also the guy who hated Force Awakens because he said Rey was a "Mary Sue".

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i liked Chronicle and have enough good will from that to watch anything else he's done

if being a raging douchebag in real life put me off your movies i'd probably have to write off like half of my top ten list, including my favorite movie of all time

Which is?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

But enough about Rich Evans, what did you think of Max Landis?

Rich is a wonderful Diabetes elemental don't do this to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ah a fellow Woody Allen and Roman Polanski fan huh

• Locked thread