Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

FractalSandwich posted:

Afternoon, thread. I hope I didn't miss any important discussion about LGBTQIA representation overnight.

Just one guy being weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress, party members can get taken hostage?

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Pollyanna posted:

I literally didn't find this out either until my very last fight before the final boss. You can imagine my surprise at discovering new mechanics at the tail end of the game. :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pollyanna posted:

Apparently theres a cheevo for it.

Literally never saw it when I played though.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Arahabaki is my MVP persona. He's managed to get a shocking number of bosses to just ice themselves

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I caught up on the past few pages including the discussion about the teachers and the discussion about where the series should go, and it might be interesting to play a game where the main party are all high school teachers
What, so the main character can gently caress one of their students? Don't give them ideas.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Holy poo poo Palace 7 makes me want to die. This game, and the series in general, has a serious problem with padding.

Me at the first statue puzzle i found: Oh hey, neat

Me at the second statue puzzle: Well that was simple enough

Me atthe Third statue puzzle: Im quite done with hallways thank you :|

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I still have bad memories of the Sun from DDS2. Sometimes that dungeon felt like it was the length of the entire rest of the game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Palace 7 isn't exactly YHVH's Universe, but holy god is it tedious as gently caress. This thing needed to be maybe 2/3 to 1/2 of the length, and I can say the same for most dungeons in the game.

EDIT: What is the loving point of ailments if they barely ever land on minibosses. gently caress my life.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 18, 2017

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
After a long and harrowing journey across the seas of Southeast Asia, it's finally here.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 18, 2017

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

DrManiac posted:

I want a persona game that turns into smt 1/3 of the way through. Like, it's kids having super natural adventures until something happens and the world is hosed. Let's see how your relationship with your grandma friend fares during the apocalypse.

Persona 1 and 2 already did that. In 2 the city gets lifted off the earth because the mass hysteria that breaks out because of every rumor becoming true made an alien spacecraft from a wacky conspiracy theory materialize under it right before the rest of the earth was destroyed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I caught Makoto trailing me in Shibuya, oh my god :allears:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Neeksy posted:

Persona 1 and 2 already did that. In 2 the city gets lifted off the earth because the mass hysteria that breaks out because of every rumor becoming true made an alien spacecraft from a wacky conspiracy theory materialize under it right before the rest of the earth was destroyed.

Shin Megami Tensei 1 even kind of does this where you start off wandering around regular Tokyo and then you run into Thorman who is actually Thor and launches nukes and then the game is postapocalyptic from that point onwards.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

I caught Makoto trailing me in Shibuya, oh my god :allears:

This is among the highest points of the game for me

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pollyanna posted:

Palace 7 isn't exactly YHVH's Universe, but holy god is it tedious as gently caress. This thing needed to be maybe 2/3 to 1/2 of the length, and I can say the same for most dungeons in the game.

EDIT: What is the loving point of ailments if they barely ever land on minibosses. gently caress my life.

to make mad bank in mementos

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

End of Palace 7 major spoilers:

Akechi nooooooo

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
If I finish palace 6 early do I lose any days or is it the same deal as the others where I just wait for poo poo to happen?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm not sure about the build quality of this replica school bag. I would not recommend using it to carry a cat around Tokyo for months on end.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
You will never lose days if you finish a palace early.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just finished this game. Holy poo poo, probably the best JRPG I've ever played. Breath of the Wild has some serious goty competition in my mind. Final playtime was 70:30.

Jimmy Hats posted:

If I finish palace 6 early do I lose any days or is it the same deal as the others where I just wait for poo poo to happen?

It's like normal.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I heard the Luck stat of the Persona affects your proc chance.

Sandman with Pulinpa and Confuse Boost has probably made me a cool 300k so far.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

anime was right posted:

to make mad bank in mementos

Oh man, a whole 1000 yen over and over again. Not exactly the most lucrative option.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Oh man, a whole 1000 yen over and over again. Not exactly the most lucrative option.

Against some Mementos bosses you get like 20'000

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just confused a miniboss and got 3x30,000

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

DrManiac posted:

Arahabaki is my MVP persona. He's managed to get a shocking number of bosses to just ice themselves

I said this to my friend and he didn't believe me.
Literally had him at the very end of the game.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well with about a week to go in December, it looks like I just barely won't get to max all the confidants. Fortune, Hanged and Devil are all at 7, so I think there aren't enough days for me to finish. Oh well, I regret not making a beeline for Fortune or grinding Kindness/Charm instead of waiting for the boatloads given by Tower/Devil. I plan on playing again just to finish up the several trophies I'm bound to have missed along the way, so I'll get them maxed next time anyway.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just got pass the part where framing device ends and I really hope Persona 6 doesn't have another evil detective with the name A__chi in it as the big twist villain.

I mean it was interesting he was a party member, but his skills came out really fast and he seems to have the same skills setup as the guy in Persona 3 who dies in a month

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rirse posted:

I mean it was interesting he was a party member, but his skills came out really fast and he seems to have the same skills setup as the guy in Persona 3 who dies in a month

Hm? I thought Shinji had nothing but physical attacks. Whereas Akechi has the same skillset as Naoto from P4.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pollyanna posted:

half the minibosses will give you like 20-30k yen per turn.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I'm near the end of August (four palaces done) so I believe I'm at the halfway point of the game? Anyway my only complaint right now is that none of the villains measure up to Kamoshida. He's such an insanely lovely and personal villain, and D.C. Douglas is such a talented actor that I'm pretty underwhelmed with each new target.

Other than that, game owns and I'm especially loving how almost every social link has a tangible gameplay benefit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I just started the hermit link and I don't think Sae is even listening any more

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I just started the hermit link and I don't think Sae is even listening any more

I think it's implied that all her Confidant questions were asked at the very beginning of the interrogation. It doesn't make much sense for her to be asking about them after he starts telling the story.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Clarste posted:

I think it's implied that all her Confidant questions were asked at the very beginning of the interrogation. It doesn't make much sense for her to be asking about them after he starts telling the story.

I prefer the idea that I just spend five hours telling her about recruiting a hacker only for her to ask later.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Clarste posted:

I prefer to think Sae is just a tryhard who wants to act like she thought of all these accomplices by herself and the MC is just like "dude of course I had someone like that, were you even paying attention?"

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
So I just got to the end of palace 5, and the boss is just stonewalling me. Everyone in my party is level 42, but I can't survive the big bang shot. I'm playing on hard if that changes anything, and was using Haru, Makoto and Morgana to cover all the weaknesses of the trash mobs you have to grind past.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Started up a new game on Merciless, got the treasure in one day then beat Kamoshida at level 7.

Not high enough level to make a Hierophant for Sojiro. Eh, not a huge rush with him I guess.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Don Gato posted:

So I just got to the end of palace 5, and the boss is just stonewalling me. Everyone in my party is level 42, but I can't survive the big bang shot. I'm playing on hard if that changes anything, and was using Haru, Makoto and Morgana to cover all the weaknesses of the trash mobs you have to grind past.

are you... guarding and using defense up skills??? he does a focus thing before using it iirc

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Don Gato posted:

Unless it's wildly more powerful on hard, full hp plus guarding should be enough even without rakukaja or tarunda. Using those should take it down to laughable levels.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Unless it's wildly more powerful on hard, full hp plus guarding should be enough even without rakukaja or tarunda. Using those should take it down to laughable levels.

Probably depends on your level/equipment, but when I did it on Hard it would one-shot the party even while guarding. Tarunda is important. Rakukaja doesn't work because the boss casts Dekaja on the same turn.

You can also survive it by being Hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm like 50 hours in and I still don't know what most of the status effects are and what they do