Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Paul may actually be the most hate-worthy child to ever show up in a MST3K film.

Annoying, doesn't listen, petulant, a huge racist...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I find I cannot hate Paul too much

Mostly because he got mauled by a cougar and a pedophile wanted to take a bite out of him the entire goddamn film

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
On my second rewatch of Avalanche, I'm kinda having an internal war on whether I find Mia Farrow attractive or not. Things seems to alternate one way or another between scenes.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Egbert Souse posted:

One criticism on Cry Wilderness..

It's a nitpick, but they made up Bill as Brain Guy from Season 8 instead of his more "albino" look from 9 and 10. :argh:

I didn't notice, probably because I was too distracted by Kevin's horrific Bobo mask.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm At Earth's Core (zing) and drat the weird racism and misogyny is really out of whack.

I think after watching this whole season and rewatching some episodes (I keep going back to the Land that Time Forgot the most), I've really warmed up to Jonah as a host. He really is that nice, somewhat dorky, but not embarrassingly so kid next door who's fun to hang out with.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It wasn't in the OP, and maybe it's been asked before, but where can I watch this outside of America? It's not on Netflix.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Argue posted:

It wasn't in the OP, and maybe it's been asked before, but where can I watch this outside of America? It's not on Netflix.

It's currently available only in English-speaking countries on Netflix. Joel has said he's trying to find ways to release the episodes elsewhere, but I don't think there's anything definite yet.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I... think I like this series more than the originals.

Avalanche: Uh, pretty sure those emergency vehicles killed more people than the actual avalanche

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Funky Valentine posted:

Paul may actually be the most hate-worthy child to ever show up in a MST3K film.

Annoying, doesn't listen, petulant, a huge racist...

He's given a good run for his money by the "heroes" of both of the Wizard films. They're all so damned unappealing.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Dave Coulier was a pretender to the throne. Lorenzo Music supremacy for lyfe, yo.

Pam body, garf head, Lorenzo music voice

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

I liked the reveal halfway through the season of how Kinga and Max were just stealing jokes for their part of the Invention Exchange. The way they didn't do one in the first episode now makes sense.

Yea, I feel like anyone who has issues with that early on realizes that it was done on purpose.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Gaz-L posted:

E: Jonah comes off as a well-meaning uncle who insists on fixing the squeaky hinge on your front gate whether you want him to or not, hence his constant attempts to build new bots to 'help'.

"You can't Raven-Symone us!"

Never realized just how territorial the bots are.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

"It's not theft....it's an easter egg" is probably one of my favorite lines.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's currently available only in English-speaking countries on Netflix. Joel has said he's trying to find ways to release the episodes elsewhere, but I don't think there's anything definite yet.

Someone earlier mentioned that one of the backer rewards was a DVD release of the season, do they have any plans on releasing this to the general public at some point?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Larryb posted:

Someone earlier mentioned that one of the backer rewards was a DVD release of the season, do they have any plans on releasing this to the general public at some point?

Given that Shout! is one of the production partners it seems like a Blu release is inevitable eventually, right?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Pakled posted:

I thought Cry Wilderness was a ripoff of Harry and the Hendersons, but it turns out it came out a few months before Harry and the Hendersons. Sooo I guess it's one of those Gordy/Babe situations.

Bigfoot movies and TV shows were a big deal in the 70s and into the 80s (although it tapered off a bit in the 80s). See: The Legend of Boggy Creek, Snowbeast, every third episode of In Search Of, or the bigfoot episodes of The Six Million Dollar Man.

Harry and the Hendersons was a big budget late follower to the trend.

Cry Wilderness was ... I guess a late zero budget trend follower? I bet it was "written" long before it was shot.

Egbert Souse posted:

I thought it was another Phillip Yordan who wrote Cry Wilderness. Not sure how he wrote that piece of poo poo after writing stuff like Johnny Guitar, The Man from Laramie, and El Cid. :psyduck:

Holy poo poo. I think my brain just broke a bit. I love Johnny Guitar.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

Yes, but they've said it won't be until some time next year.

ja2ke posted:

Given that Shout! is one of the production partners it seems like a Blu release is inevitable eventually, right?

They're not just a production partner, they completely own the show now.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

What I love about Cry Wilderness is how they imply that a pleasant ET like adventure happened a year before the film is set with the kid getting to know Big Foot, and instead of making that likely infinitely more salable movie we got this.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

remusclaw posted:

What I love about Cry Wilderness is how they imply that a pleasant ET like adventure happened a year before the film is set with the kid getting to know Big Foot, and instead of making that likely infinitely more salable movie we got this.

Given the dependence on consumer products, I imagine this hypothetical film would have ended up a lot closer to Mac and Me than E.T..

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Given the dependence on consumer products, I imagine this hypothetical film would have ended up a lot closer to Mac and Me than E.T..

I didn't mean to imply it would be good, just more mainstream in it's sensibilities I guess. As it is, it comes across like an even lower budget sequel to an already low budget ET alike that coincidentally never actually got filmed

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My favorite weird moment from Cry Wilderness is when the villain shares one of this knowing "Bigfoot exists and I'm going to kill him" looks at the kid to end a scene, but they take way too long to cut and he just sits there, leering at the boy in the most uncomfortable way.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That happens so many goddamn times

I refuse to believe it wasn't on purpose

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Jet Jaguar posted:

He's given a good run for his money by the "heroes" of both of the Wizard films. They're all so damned unappealing.

Yeah, the first one's "hero" at least has the benefit of being the same age as the princess, as opposed to Troxartus being a creeper.

That being said, the Crabby bits are great.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

My favorite weird moment from Cry Wilderness is when the villain shares one of this knowing "Bigfoot exists and I'm going to kill him" looks at the kid to end a scene, but they take way too long to cut and he just sits there, leering at the boy in the most uncomfortable way.

It reminds me of the shop owner in Troll 2 who in real life was crazy and wanted to hurt the child actor.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Gavok posted:

I thought he did this pretty frequently. A few shots started with him staring intently at the kid from a few inches away and everyone else looking at someone/something else. But what else do you expect from a depraved man that would strangle a raccoon?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, the first one's "hero" at least has the benefit of being the same age as the princess, as opposed to Troxartus being a creeper.

Early on when the good wizard shoots his first fireball at the bad guy, Crow lets out that near-perfect "Hadoooouken!" and it cracks me up.

Lots of video game references this time around (Mortal Kombat, SMB, etc.)

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Bruteman posted:

Someone hummed the Zelda puzzle solved tune when they used dynamite in Avalanche and it was perfect.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Not Operator posted:

Someone hummed the Zelda puzzle solved tune when they used dynamite in Avalanche and it was perfect.

That was Tom Servo.

First episode had not one, but TWO They Might Be Giants references, which was a high mark for me.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Franchescanado posted:

That was Tom Servo.

First episode had not one, but TWO They Might Be Giants references, which was a high mark for me.

I thought I was the only one that saw that trainwreck of a George C Scott movie.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Bruteman posted:

Early on when the good wizard shoots his first fireball at the bad guy, Crow lets out that near-perfect "Hadoooouken!" and it cracks me up.

I didn't expect to see a Smash Bros. reference in the show honestly.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
There was a video game reference in Cry Wilderness where one of them says the forest ranger guy is out hunting mobs

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Pixeltendo posted:

I didn't expect to see a Smash Bros. reference in the show honestly.

TBH, I think that's my favorite thing about the new show. There's a whole new world of jokes for them to tackle, from Bitcoin to Smash Bros to Chipotle's habit of poisoning customers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean, Felicia Day is one of the writers. There were going to be some video game jokes. :)

I think the new variety is nice, too. It doesn't feel overwhelmed with jokes about podcasts and memes and it still references stuff like Beatles songs and the Benny Hill Theme. It definitely feels like it's just incorporating more popular culture rather than eschewing the obscure or older references. It's great.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There's like a lot more weed jokes now too or am i just forgetting old ones? I know it happened SOMETIMES before.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

There's like a lot more weed jokes now too or am i just forgetting old ones? I know it happened SOMETIMES before.

There is an epsidoe where the bots keep ragging on mike that the potsmokers habits should remind him of his past behavoir.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Barudak posted:

There is an epsidoe where the bots keep ragging on mike that the potsmokers habits should remind him of his past behavoir.

Look familiar MIKE ?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I thought the first "hero" was ok. Bland and kind of dumb, but not too terribly irritating. The second kid was just miserable though. Not only was he irritating every time he had to speak, his constant "hot for teacher" gimmick was super creepy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

I thought I was the only one that saw that trainwreck of a George C Scott movie.

No, the band They Might Be Giants. They reference two songs.

The band did get the name from the movie, but because they liked the sound, not the movie.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Both movies feature prominently a much older woman seducing a (pre?)teen boy, wtf was that about?

"Let's not think about how much creepier this would be if our genders were reversed!"

Sigh. At least we had Crabby.

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Nemo2342 posted:

I thought the first "hero" was ok. Bland and kind of dumb, but not too terribly irritating. The second kid was just miserable though. Not only was he irritating every time he had to speak, his constant "hot for teacher" gimmick was super creepy.

Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts on the matter. I'm not sure if I prefer the second protagonist since he actually has a personality or the first protagonist since that personality is terrible.