Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Andrast posted:

I'm like 50 hours in and I still don't know what most of the status effects are and what they do

All you need to know is that status effects are insanely bad news. Freeze/shock/burn boosts nuclear damage, everything else boosts psy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Dungeon 6 was a loving blast! Great music, nice pacing, and my retarded rear end figured out you can buy SP restoring accessories shortly before unlocking it. Had fun spamming tier 3 skills on the boss and not giving a poo poo about SP.

Also a jukebox thing like the one in nier:a would be loving awesome. Would love to listen to some of these dungeon tracks outside of new game+ (unless that's already ingame?)

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

Probably depends on your level/equipment, but when I did it on Hard it would one-shot the party even while guarding. Tarunda is important. Rakukaja doesn't work because the boss casts Dekaja on the same turn.

You can also survive it by being Hungry.

I guard and it still does enough damage that it can kill the MC. And yeah, I tried rakukaja but he just cancels that immediately and then nukes me for my hubris. I haven't had this much trouble on a boss before, everyone else I figured out their gimmick pretty quickly after maybe 1 wipe at most (excluding Madarame but that was mostly due to lucky crits against the MC).

And what is this about being hungry?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

One thing I think this game may have benefited from is the list of when people get actions from Final Fantasy X.

Like there are moments in P5 where a regular enemy will get like three moves in a row without critical hits and frankly I'm not sure how I was supposed to be able to predict that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Don Gato posted:

I guard and it still does enough damage that it can kill the MC. And yeah, I tried rakukaja but he just cancels that immediately and then nukes me for my hubris. I haven't had this much trouble on a boss before, everyone else I figured out their gimmick pretty quickly after maybe 1 wipe at most (excluding Madarame but that was mostly due to lucky crits against the MC).

And what is this about being hungry?

The boss is the CEO of Okumura Foods, ie: Big Bang Burger. His ultimate attack is to order his minion to unleash the Big Bang Challenge. Which is eating a giant hamburger. So if you have the Hunger ailment (which the boss inflicts), you complete the Big Bang Challenge and are healed by the hamburger instead of hurt.

It's pretty unreliable though, especially since your party will auto-cure it with Harisen Recovery, so you're better off with Tarunda (attack down).

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 18, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mishima gets dunked on even by grade schoolers. Good storytelling here

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

This is probably a common question, so I apologize if everyone's sick of it (I did at least check the OP though), but what exactly do weapons affect and not affect?

Does my weapon's attack value affect the damage of physical skills? (same question for guns and gun skills)
Does my persona's strength stat matter for basic melee attacks?
Does my weapon affect non-physical skills in any way (assuming it doesn't have any special bonuses)?

I'm starting NG+ without knowing quite how this poo poo works and it's kind of embarrassing, please help

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

This is probably a common question, so I apologize if everyone's sick of it (I did at least check the OP though), but what exactly do weapons affect and not affect?

Does my weapon's attack value affect the damage of physical skills? (same question for guns and gun skills)
Does my weapon affect non-physical skills in any way (assuming it doesn't have any special bonuses)?

I'm starting NG+ without knowing quite how this poo poo works and it's kind of embarrassing, please help

No, Yes, No. Weapon attack power essentially replaces the skill modifier part of the damage formula for normal attacks. So upgrading your weapon (or gun) simply moves you up through the Light-Medium-Heavy range of damage with your normal attacks. But they'll always be weaker than up-to-date skills anyway.

I believe the only good reason to upgrade your weapons is to increase the damage of All-Out Attacks.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

One thing I think this game may have benefited from is the list of when people get actions from Final Fantasy X.

Like there are moments in P5 where a regular enemy will get like three moves in a row without critical hits and frankly I'm not sure how I was supposed to be able to predict that.

A lot of the JRPGs I've played recently have a turn order so I've been feeling the lack of it here. Granted most encounters end without shadows getting a shot in and it's pretty easy to grasp the rhythm of boss fights.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cool, thanks. Looks like Ann is going to have that +Forget whip forever.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Motto posted:

A lot of the JRPGs I've played recently have a turn order so I've been feeling the lack of it here. Granted most encounters end without shadows getting a shot in and it's pretty easy to grasp the rhythm of boss fights.
You can't see if an enemy is going to get multiple turns, but pressing down on the d-pad in battle will tell you who's turn is next

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Enemies get multiple turns in a row because you ambushed them. This makes them go at the very end of the 1st turn, but they're often fast enough to go before your party on the 2nd turn. The solution to this problem is to kill them on the 1st turn.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to see Psio fleshed out a bit as an element, from its description it sounds like it's supposed to work well alongside status ailments, but that leads to another avenue of confusion...

...there are three "families" of status ailment now? And each one needs a unique skill or item to cure? And Psio benefits off one of those ailments but not all of them? And some of the ailments interact with elements like fire and wind but you only learn this if Makoto happens to tell you and if there are other combos she didn't tell me and...

So Psio ends up working just like any other magic, but your Psio user doesn't get any ailment abilities to speak of, and her gun-fu becomes far more effective in the long run. Seems to me that keeping Psio low-damage, or low-accuracy, but add onto a chance to add a mental ailment, or else complement your party member's skill set...

That's actually another complaint overall, it seems like some party members are given better skill loadouts than others. P4 kinda had this problem, which was perhaps overcorrected in Golden, but I'd hate to think I'd have to wait several years to see a remix of this game just to have that issue corrected, it's unfortunate to see it here and now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Even if you are using Technical Damage (which you probably won't, which is indeed a flaw with the game), you don't actually want your Psio user to be the one inflicting the ailments, since that just wastes your time. Instead, you use someone like Ryuji to inflict Despair to all enemies with one of his physical attacks and then use Haru to clean up. Same with physical ailments and Nuclear, or burning and Wind. The idea is to create cross-character synergies. Again though, the whole thng seems a bit shallow.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Moltrey posted:

You can't see if an enemy is going to get multiple turns, but pressing down on the d-pad in battle will tell you who's turn is next

Honestly, with how fast fights tend to go in this game, this might be all you really need. I certainly was never hurting to see more than who was immediately next in line to take action and even then it was more to help me decide between attacking to try and take out an enemy or throwing up a buff/debuff of some kind.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Status effects have been in separate families for quite some time in SMT games, as far as I know. Psi gets technicals on the "mind" status effects, while nuke gets technicals on the "body(?)" statuses.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd like to see Psio fleshed out a bit as an element, from its description it sounds like it's supposed to work well alongside status ailments, but that leads to another avenue of confusion...

...there are three "families" of status ailment now? And each one needs a unique skill or item to cure? And Psio benefits off one of those ailments but not all of them? And some of the ailments interact with elements like fire and wind but you only learn this if Makoto happens to tell you and if there are other combos she didn't tell me and...

So Psio ends up working just like any other magic, but your Psio user doesn't get any ailment abilities to speak of, and her gun-fu becomes far more effective in the long run. Seems to me that keeping Psio low-damage, or low-accuracy, but add onto a chance to add a mental ailment, or else complement your party member's skill set...

That's actually another complaint overall, it seems like some party members are given better skill loadouts than others. P4 kinda had this problem, which was perhaps overcorrected in Golden, but I'd hate to think I'd have to wait several years to see a remix of this game just to have that issue corrected, it's unfortunate to see it here and now.

Psi works against 'mental' ailments, which are pretty easy to figure out by context, but they only add extra damage in those cases so you might as well just treat it like a new element for most situations. As for Haru not having lots of ailments, that's what you and other characters are for; you can set up the pitch for Haru to hit without having her have to set it up herself in more turns. Honestly I just got through the game with Yusuke, Makoto, and Morgana and never really switching out unless a boss was entirely immune to their moves.

Easier way to think of it: Nuclear works on elemental status effects (burn, frozen, shock), Psi on everything else.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
I'm confused by how Devil's rank 10 ability is supposed to work. It says it eliminates Palace security increases, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. The alert level goes up as usual for me if I'm spotted. Do I have to ask her to activate it first or what?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Neeksy posted:

Psi works against 'mental' ailments, which are pretty easy to figure out by context, but they only add extra damage in those cases so you might as well just treat it like a new element for most situations. As for Haru not having lots of ailments, that's what you and other characters are for; you can set up the pitch for Haru to hit without having her have to set it up herself in more turns. Honestly I just got through the game with Yusuke, Makoto, and Morgana and never really switching out unless a boss was entirely immune to their moves.

Easier way to think of it: Nuclear works on elemental status effects (burn, frozen, shock), Psi on everything else.

I went through the entire game without realizing that you didn't always get bonus damage and the technical message for attacking statused enemies, since physical attacks seem to work (or at least they worked when enemies did it on me, I'm not sure I ever used a status move all game)

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Holy poo poo Palace 7 makes me want to die. This game, and the series in general, has a serious problem with padding.

It's supposed to be a long endurance run to get you to take more than one day to do a palace. I get the intent but in practice; you just want to do it in one run and it ends up feeling like this giant slog with one section too many.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I went through the entire game without realizing that you didn't always get bonus damage and the technical message for attacking statused enemies, since physical attacks seem to work (or at least they worked when enemies did it on me, I'm not sure I ever used a status move all game)

Physical attacks get the technical bonus against Freeze, Shock, and Sleep (everything works on Sleep, actually). In those cases it basically replaces the free critical you used to get in other games.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Clarste posted:

Even if you are using Technical Damage (which you probably won't, which is indeed a flaw with the game), you don't actually want your Psio user to be the one inflicting the ailments, since that just wastes your time. Instead, you use someone like Ryuji to inflict Despair to all enemies with one of his physical attacks and then use Haru to clean up. Same with physical ailments and Nuclear, or burning and Wind. The idea is to create cross-character synergies. Again though, the whole thng seems a bit shallow.

I guess I would have liked it here if it had been better spelled out. Then again, perhaps the game is balanced more around Hard mode, and I'd have picked up on more of these synergies by virtue of necessity having to struggle against tougher challenges. I dunno though, shallow may be the best way to put it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Akechi sucks so hard. (pre-palace 4 stuff) It's super cool how he accuses people of being terrorists without a single shred of evidence of what they might want to accomplish through such terrorism, especially given the long amount of time between the initial incident and the accusation.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

cheetah7071 posted:

I found Ann's Dormina really useful for a while since she usually goes last in the party order; if you can't kill an enemy, you can incapacitate them.

Ann's a pretty good filler character, her damage dealing and durability is just a bit suspect for most of the game.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Walrus Pete posted:

From what I can tell, keep your melee weapons up to date for all out attacks (combined with the money fortune you'll have more cash than you know what to do with) but don't really worry worry about guns because they're only really useful for downing enemies.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So what's a good way to level grind in NG+, wait for flu season and bully the reaper?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ive never had a problem keeping weapons up to date from mementos/palace chests

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Clarste posted:

Physical attacks get the technical bonus against Freeze, Shock, and Sleep (everything works on Sleep, actually).

And Dizzy, but that has the same caveat as Sleep. Doing a Physical attack on Shock is a bad idea here, though, since it has a chance of also Shocking the attacker. Freeze is the best thing to get Phys Tech damage since it overrides any resistances and all.

As for everything else, there's really only three classes of ailments as far as things matter; Physical and Mental. Physical ailments are Dizzy, Forget, Sleep and Hunger. Mental Ailments are Confuse, Fear, Despair, Rage and Brainwash (Charm). Burn/Freeze/Shock are a weird other thing, because they have their own unique cure in Baisudi while Phys stuff is cured by (Me) Patra and Mental stuff is cured with Energy Drop/Shower like normal.

There's a fourth category of ailments, but that's just stuff like Paint or Rat which are all weird "Unique" gimmick-y poo poo. Hunger, by all accounts should fall into this as well, but it's listed on the Patra spells whereas everything else is explicitly uncurable even by things like Amrita and Salvation.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wow, um the first fight I am getting stonewalled on is the shadow fight for the fortune memento.

I can hardly loving hurt him

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

Akechi sucks so hard. (pre-palace 4 stuff) It's super cool how he accuses people of being terrorists without a single shred of evidence of what they might want to accomplish through such terrorism, especially given the long amount of time between the initial incident and the accusation.

Welp,

His argument is that while you're doing good things with the power, this power can be easily abused.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ann's a pretty good filler character, her damage dealing and durability is just a bit suspect for most of the game.

Honestly her damage seems fine to me, she has the highest magic of all the party afaik and is the only one who gets concentrate; you won't have the concentrate + amp + boost combo until late, but like Ryuji and Haru's damage doesn't really pop off hard until the lategame either

Her biggest offensive problem is that fire is a less frequently-useful element than psychic or nuclear, a lot more things seem to resist it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Now that I've had a few hours to mull over the ending, I really don't like it.

By "ending" I mean everything after you shoot god in the head. Up to that point, everything felt like it followed the basic themes that have been present since all the way back in Kamoshida's palace, just on a grander scale--you're gathering together a group of people who have been trampled on by those in power, awakening their spirit of rebellion, and standing up and shouting "gently caress you" at an authority figure. This is, at it's core, what Persona 5 is about--rebelling against authority in all its forms.

But after that point, it feels like the writer just sort of forgot about all that. The Joker who meekly spends two months in Juvenile hall barely feels like the same character as the Joker who faked his own death and organized a prison break out of the loving velvet room. And everybody else too--could you picture a scene in November or December where the party decides they're going to take Shido down by gathering evidence and appealing to a court of law? It's laughable on its face.

My suspicion is that this all made sense in an earlier draft of the game, and all the anime cutscenes got locked in because they take so long to produce. Then once the game had cemented a bit more and aping Persona 4's ending no longer made sense, they were stuck with it. A much more fitting ending imo would be if Joker was arrested on parole violations against his will, the gang got together, and right as they decide to do something about it, their phantom thief outfits come back. End of game, roll credits (or maybe end on a badass scene of them breaking into prison for him). Attentive players would figure out that this all comes from Morgana's big speech about how the world is still all cognition which gets dropped like a brick in the real script.

Anyways I'm sure my fanfiction alternate ending is garbage too but I really don't like the actual ending.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I had Ann in my party all game simply because Tarunda is one of the best debuffs and I didn't feel like wasting Joker's time on it every boss battle.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

cheetah7071 posted:

By "ending" I mean everything after you shoot god in the head. Up to that point, everything felt like it followed the basic themes that have been present since all the way back in Kamoshida's palace, just on a grander scale--you're gathering together a group of people who have been trampled on by those in power, awakening their spirit of rebellion, and standing up and shouting "gently caress you" at an authority figure. This is, at it's core, what Persona 5 is about--rebelling against authority in all its forms.

But after that point, it feels like the writer just sort of forgot about all that. The Joker who meekly spends two months in Juvenile hall barely feels like the same character as the Joker who faked his own death and organized a prison break out of the loving velvet room. And everybody else too--could you picture a scene in November or December where the party decides they're going to take Shido down by gathering evidence and appealing to a court of law? It's laughable on its face.

My suspicion is that this all made sense in an earlier draft of the game, and all the anime cutscenes got locked in because they take so long to produce. Then once the game had cemented a bit more and aping Persona 4's ending no longer made sense, they were stuck with it. A much more fitting ending imo would be if Joker was arrested on parole violations against his will, the gang got together, and right as they decide to do something about it, their phantom thief outfits come back. End of game, roll credits (or maybe end on a badass scene of them breaking into prison for him). Attentive players would figure out that this all comes from Morgana's big speech about how the world is still all cognition which gets dropped like a brick in the real script.

Anyways I'm sure my fanfiction alternate ending is garbage too but I really don't like the actual ending.

The goal was to reform society not destroy it. That's the part you're confused on.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also, I think the part where they lose their magic powers and are forced to rely on mundane means is kind of important because otherwise the moral of the story becomes "life sucks and there is literally nothing you can do about it unless you have magical mind-control powers." Which frankly it edges towards anyway, given all the characters completely trapped by circumstance and requiring the Phantom Thieves to save them.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 18, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Oblivious posted:

The goal was to reform society not destroy it. That's the part you're confused on.

It didn't really feel like they actually accomplished that goal, to me. It felt like they just sort of declared victory and then did a 180 on their personalities.

Clarste posted:

Also, I think the part where they lose their magic powers and are forced to rely on mundane means is kind of important because otherwise the moral of the story becomes "life sucks and there is literally nothing you can do about it unless you have magical powers." Which frankly it edges towards anyway, given all the characters completely trapped by life and requiring the Phantom Thieves to save them.

This is fair.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The problem with inflicting status effects is that they're too drat effective so obviously the devs can't let you inflict them to the enemies you want them inflicted on (IE: bosses) while the random shadows are typically not beefy enough to waste time inflicting statuses on, barring a few incidents. You'll see straight up how good statuses are when you get a persona with boosted confusion and drop Pulinpas on the mementos minibosses, its loving laughably easy to farm them for money, much less pose a threat. And Despair... any enemy inflicted with it is as good as dead (they die in 3 turns unless they are cured), so it basically shouldn't even count as a status except against your own party, and its not a hard debuff to put on people.

If statuses were weaker, only gimmicky minor debuffs instead of the crushingly debilitating effects that they are, then it would make sense to let them be a bit more prevalent and then allow wiggle room for the power of Psi/Nuke spells to shine with their technical crits and make poo poo like Freeze/Burn/Shock boost actually interesting. But instead Nuke/Psi are just 2 extra elements, and the physical statuses are just things that afflict your party at inopportune times.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Etrian Odyssey series handles status ailments well, imo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Clarste posted:

Also, I think the part where they lose their magic powers and are forced to rely on mundane means is kind of important because otherwise the moral of the story becomes "life sucks and there is literally nothing you can do about it unless you have magical mind-control powers." Which frankly it edges towards anyway, given all the characters completely trapped by circumstance and requiring the Phantom Thieves to save them.

Magic powers are just a narrative device that symbolize taking action outside the system. Opposing or seeking to reform it outside of the realm of legality.

Ultimately though that can only go on so far before you must come to the table to negotiate, unless your goal is to destroy the existing political order entirely. I don't see any real logical misstep in Persona 5s approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

cheetah7071 posted:

I agree with and feel everything you're saying.
The game is good but I haven't NG+'d yet because the ending falls so flat on its face that I don't want to ride the coaster again.
The last cutscene is great but everything leading up to it (outside your last day) feels wrong somehow.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 18, 2017