Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

If they're genuinely trying to make something really good rather than just desperately making GBS threads out something to meet an arbitrary deadline, that would actually be a little encouraging. But with all the other stuff going on that remains a big "if."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Rename Discovery Phase III, then recycle two scripts and a some characters for the next tv series 10 years from now.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

WampaLord posted:

Well, that's Worf's whole deal, really. He's a weeaboo for what he thinks proper Klingon culture is and you can just see K'ehlar roll her eyes like in a "oh my god, you were saving yourself for marriage? I can't even" way when he says that they now must take the Oath.

Dax even calls him out on this in DS9: "...for a Klingon who was raised by Humans, wears a Starfleet uniform, and drinks prune juice, you're pretty attached to tradition"

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Roddenberry's spirit has risen, and is angrily demanding the entire series be started-over because the windows are the wrong shape and he hasn't slept with any cast members

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sonequa Martin-Green has to be saying, "Uh, you know I quit one of the most popular shows on television for this, right?"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
These are the voyages of the starship Hot Mess Express.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have (a link to) a summary of what's been causing so many issues for Discovery?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone have (a link to) a summary of what's been causing so many issues for Discovery?

http://www.cbs.com/

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Timby posted:

Sonequa Martin-Green has to be saying, "Uh, you know I quit one of the most popular shows on television for this, right?"

She left The Walking Dead (TV show) for the walking dead tv show

:downsrim:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Star Trek Discovery blinked reflexively behind the glass when CBS slammed his hand against the tank. Its dreaming half-baked reptile brain couldn't comprehend fear let alone react to it. The bloated slug that was once The Big Bang Theory scrabbled in the pit below kicking mounds of dirt wherever it awkwardly slithered. It found its way to a corner and chuffed loudly before bending over the formeless remains of what Supergirl had chewed off to escape to CW. NCIS studied it nervously from across the enclosure before turning its ancient gaze up to its master as if to ask why.

"They'll think I spared this world from you Star Trek Discovery, but really it's the other way around" said CBS. Wiping away the condensation on STD's gestation pod felt almost like drying a tear, but regret was a thing of the past. Old business for last quarter. "Better to do this now, before you develop the ability to feel pain."

Orv
May 4, 2011
...When is your EU book coming out?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It can only be a maximum of two chapters and each chapter can be a maximum of 15 pages.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Two issues. They signed Bryan Fuller as exec, but he had to leave halfway because of other commitments. And CBS thought they could shart this show out in a few months and they're rushing the poo poo out of it, filming half-done scripts on half-done sets, and still missing every deadline, when every past Trek show had like a year of development time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are so used to making GBS threads out multi camera sitcoms that they had no idea it takes months or years to develop a real TV show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The show will end up being produced by the Axanar guys.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I was already feeling like it was rock-bottom for Discovery anyway, so maybe a delay will be good simply because it couldn't get any worse. I mean, they just figured out their casting like 20 minutes ago. If it was released son after now, it would be 100% hot garbage. This way, it will be 99% hot garbage, and we get to wonder about that other 1%. :allears:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Or maybe it will release and be awesome; we can all sit back in our internet east chairs and shake our heads with mild bemusement, wondering how we could have ever gotten STF so wrong.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cojawfee posted:

They are so used to making GBS threads out multi camera sitcoms that they had no idea it takes months or years to develop a real TV show.

I'd not be surprised that this is the issue. They've spent the last decade at least just shoveling out sitcoms and fairly generic police procedural that a complex sci-fi show is now beyond the networks ability to produce. No one in staff has skills outside of those genres of tv.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Here's hoping, but the more I hear, the less faith I have. It feels like the whole thing's turning into a cluster gently caress because they're tying it to CBS All-Access so they need to get it out ASAP, but by doing so they not only cost themselves Fuller's hand on the wheel, but seem to be half-assing everything else...and still can't make deadline.

I mean maybe they can find a diamond in all that poo poo, but I'm increasingly concerned that they won't.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

vermin posted:

Star Trek Discovery blinked reflexively behind the glass when CBS slammed his hand against the tank. Its dreaming half-baked reptile brain couldn't comprehend fear let alone react to it. The bloated slug that was once The Big Bang Theory scrabbled in the pit below kicking mounds of dirt wherever it awkwardly slithered. It found its way to a corner and chuffed loudly before bending over the formeless remains of what Supergirl had chewed off to escape to CW. NCIS studied it nervously from across the enclosure before turning its ancient gaze up to its master as if to ask why.

"They'll think I spared this world from you Star Trek Discovery, but really it's the other way around" said CBS. Wiping away the condensation on STD's gestation pod felt almost like drying a tear, but regret was a thing of the past. Old business for last quarter. "Better to do this now, before you develop the ability to feel pain."

Is this referencing something? It reads really well.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

jng2058 posted:

Here's hoping, but the more I hear, the less faith I have. It feels like the whole thing's turning into a cluster gently caress because they're tying it to CBS All-Access so they need to get it out ASAP, but by doing so they not only cost themselves Fuller's hand on the wheel, but seem to be half-assing everything else...and still can't make deadline.

I mean maybe they can find a diamond in all that poo poo, but I'm increasingly concerned that they won't.

The all access thing is a terrible idea, but they've had so long to get this show going and we still don't have anything substantial.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Beachcomber posted:

Is this referencing something? It reads really well.

Thanks! I wasn't referencing anything (consciously). I just did it on the fly.

Cojawfee posted:

It can only be a maximum of two chapters and each chapter can be a maximum of 15 pages.

Accurately describes my work ethic :saddowns:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

lol

Just watched Flashback. A series based on the Excelsior would have been a way better basis for a show than Voyager, particularly if they could have cast Takei in a recurring role.

On the other hand with Voyager and Enterprise in mind any Excelsior series would have turned into the previously unknown adventures of Sulu versus the Borg.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

On the other hand with Voyager and Enterprise in mind any Excelsior series would have turned into the previously unknown adventures of Sulu versus the Borg.

Episode 2

Sulu must help a Vulcan Borg through Pon farr, while ensign Tuvok discovers a nebula made entirely of Scottish dinosaur DNA

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I suspect that's why, no matter how hard Takei pushed for the Excelsior series, it didn't happen. I suspect he wouldn't have put up with the Mad Libs style writing process, and he might have had enough pull to do something about it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Maybe CBS is hoping if they delay Discovery long enough people will forget about it and then they can hide it on some streaming service. Oh wait.

If they really thought it was something that could stand on its own it would be on real tv, right after Survivor. They can't place it right into syndication like they did with TNG and DS9 since no on wants it anymore after VOY and ENT pushed away all the non-trekkers. Every network has always treated Star Trek, since TOS, is some "nerd" show to churn out to make a profit with the absolute least amount of effort and expense.

Discovery is that times a million.

CBS is ashamed of TV Star Trek fans and don't want them to interfere with the people they think matter, fans of Blue Bloods and NCIS.

If you think I'm wrong, why isn't Kevin Can Wait exclusively on CBS all access? Last week Kevin Can Wait had a 6 million viewers on CBS, more than any episode of in the entire last three seasons for Enterpise. If they want tempt people to join all access, wouldn't the want to use a show that people want to watch? That is not why Discovery is going to all access, it is not a reward for Star Trek fans, it is an insult to show that nerds can suck it. They keep delaying it because Star Trek doesn't matter to them as much as The Big Bang Theory. The production problems would be fixed in a week if there were on the set of Criminal Minds.

Or maybe it will be awesome and surprise me. Has anyone seen Kevin Can Wait, is it good?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
CBS is almost exclusively people leaving poo poo on or tuning in manually. NCIS has eleventy billion viewers but the Venn diagram of those viewers and viewers who would seek it out on a streaming service are two distinct circles. It's the same with Kevin Can Wait.

Kevin Can Wait on a streaming service wouldn't get 6 million people if you aggregate all their streams of every episode for a whole year.

CBS's core demographic and CBS All Access are at direct odds

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 18, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Maybe CBS is hoping if they delay Discovery long enough people will forget about it and then they can hide it on some streaming service. Oh wait.

If they really thought it was something that could stand on its own it would be on real tv, right after Survivor. They can't place it right into syndication like they did with TNG and DS9 since no on wants it anymore after VOY and ENT pushed away all the non-trekkers. Every network has always treated Star Trek, since TOS, is some "nerd" show to churn out to make a profit with the absolute least amount of effort and expense.

CBS is ashamed of TV Star Trek fans and don't want them to interfere with the people they think matter, fans of Blue Bloods and NCIS.

If you think I'm wrong, why isn't Kevin Can Wait exclusively on CBS all access? Last week Kevin Can Wait had a 6 million viewers on CBS, more than any episode of in the entire last three seasons for Enterpise. If they want tempt people to join all access, wouldn't the want to use a show that people want to watch? That is not why Discovery is going to all access, it is not a reward for Star Trek fans, it is an insult to show that nerds can suck it. They keep delaying it because Star Trek doesn't matter to them as much as The Big Bang Theory. The production problems would be fixed in a week if there were on the set of Criminal Minds.

Or maybe it will be awesome and surprise me. Has anyone seen Kevin Can Wait, is it good?

Basically, almost no one under the age of 60 watches real TV anymore. The one thing keeping TV afloat, football ratings, declined by like 20% this year, an insanely huge drop. So the NFL finally panicked and began selling access to Amazon. Expect that trend to continue. Content producers are rushing to move everything they can to an online format.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Every network has always treated Star Trek, since TOS, is some "nerd" show to churn out to make a profit with the absolute least amount of effort and expense.

I'm not sure there's really enough to establish a pattern there; the only network since NBC that ran Star Trek was UPN. And UPN/Paramount, for all their faults, didn't cheap out on Voyager and Enterprise.

If CBS was so ashamed, why did they bother making it in the first place? Why not license the rights to a studio to sell the show to some other network (or cable channel?) and pick up zero-effort license royalties?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If it wasn't a horrendously troubled production, would it really be Star Trek? They're just trying to bake in that natural flavor.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not sure there's really enough to establish a pattern there; the only network since NBC that ran Star Trek was UPN. And UPN/Paramount, for all their faults, didn't cheap out on Voyager and Enterprise.

If CBS was so ashamed, why did they bother making it in the first place? Why not license the rights to a studio to sell the show to some other network (or cable channel?) and pick up zero-effort license royalties?

When CBS (or was it NBC?) took the franchise over from UPN during Enterprise's last season they were asking for some stupid rear end poo poo because they didn't get it at all. Asking for present day top 40 music to be played and for T'Pol to lose the pointy ears.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hey, Jeff Bezos? Put in a bid for the rights to TV Trek. Thanks in advance.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

skooma512 posted:

When CBS (or was it NBC?) took the franchise over from UPN during Enterprise's last season they were asking for some stupid rear end poo poo because they didn't get it at all. Asking for present day top 40 music to be played and for T'Pol to lose the pointy ears.

Always one of my favourite stories about the hell of Enterprise.

quote:

Roger Lay, Jr: ...John Wentworth talks a lot about that. He's got a great story – which you'll probably see in the Season Two or three documentary – where, at one point, one executive in a meeting comes up to Rick and goes, "I have an idea. You guys have a restaurant on the Enterprise, right? Rick and Brannon are like, "Well, we have a mess hall, kind of like a cafeteria…" He says, "Well, here's the thing – every week, at the restaurant, the hottest young bands are gonna play. You know, we're gonna get a different hot, young band every week, they'll play in the restaurant."

TrekCore: Oh, my god.

Roger Lay, Jr.: They were like, "We're in outer space. How are these bands going to get there?" The guy's like, "Well, you can figure that out! ‘Cause then, at the end of the episodes, we have the card for the hot new album that's coming out. We do that on all our other shows; trust us. This is good." That was a moment where Rick – and everyone – started to realize that it was a losing battle.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

As a human cultural attache we have cloned the band Weezer to play in our mess hall

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hahah what?

"Captain, we've picked up these strange Aliens, they claim to be from the race of My Chemical Romance"
"I've heard of them, lets go to the galley and watch their performance and then buy their compact disk, because this is something we do in the future"

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

The_Doctor posted:

Always one of my favourite stories about the hell of Enterprise.

:gonk:

Speaking of which, I just found a new low for ENT's theme song. "Impulse" was good at horror/sci fi, but holy poo poo was the intro jarring (and not in a good way). Picture Archer and Phlox wrestling a violent, screaming T'Pol onto a gurney and strapping her to it. There's a couple of lines before T'Pol issues a blood-curdling scream and then---

~It's been a long road, gettin' from there to here~

What the gently caress, Enterprise theme song? What. The. gently caress.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is wanky as hell, but I feel like that episode especially is really fun with the lyrics of the intro song, because you can view them from a very hosed up lens with regards to what happens to the Vulcans.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think CBS is delaying it, the people making the show are delaying it. CBS desperately wants Star trek to be ready to put out. The studio wants to make it be decent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think CBS is delaying it, the people making the show are delaying it. CBS desperately wants Star trek to be ready to put out. The studio wants to make it be decent.
They didn't give very much time between when this was announced and scheduled to air. Wasn't it announced last spring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

Hey, Jeff Bezos? Put in a bid for the rights to TV Trek. Thanks in advance.

Ok, we'll split it. You get Bezos for Trek, but I already claimed Elon Musk for a B5 remaster.