Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"MARVEL ALWAYS WINS. ALWAYS" :lol:

reading these just makes me imagine RLM's Nerd Crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I like this statue more than DC's

https://twitter.com/mamegyorai_jp/status/852914683782627329

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I hope the tension is well short of unbearable this time. It's tough otherwise.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
This is the new face of pop culture journalism. Send review codes/tickets/screenings for never say die fans, blacklist reviewers who are undependable. Personalities who review things are more like preachers to a choir than a critic of all things within the medium, and they're the ones who get all the access now, because credibility is not really important anymore as long as you're on the right team.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
okay but is it fun?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maluco Marinero posted:

This is the new face of pop culture journalism. Send review codes/tickets/screenings for never say die fans, blacklist reviewers who are undependable. Personalities who review things are more like preachers to a choir than a critic of all things within the medium, and they're the ones who get all the access now, because credibility is not really important anymore as long as you're on the right team.

And you only have to manage those opinions long enough for the film to be out.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ElNarez posted:

okay but is it fun?

Well it will probably be as fun as GOTG 1, which was less fun than the 2005 Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie.

e: Just for a visual aid, the progress made in twee sci-fi comedy between 2005 and 2014:

e: pic that was originally there:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 20, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Are the quips on point?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I need my quips-per-minute real high or I start jonesing

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Another thing I noticed in Captain America: Civil War this time around: remember how we're always ragging on the franchise for destroying empty cars during the battles, often in lieu of showing innocent citizens being hurt or injured? There's the big final fight scene in Avengers 1 where the invading Chitauri swoop in and blast the gently caress out of empty cars, there's a bunch of scenes on Avengers 2 (including one where a woman inside a car nearly plunges to her death but is saved when she abandons the car. The car isn't so lucky), Tony's struggles to perfect his Iron Man suits in the first movie result in him accidentally destroying his beloved classic cars, Scarlet Witch momentarily takes Iron Man out of the airport fight in Civil War by dumping a bunch of cars on his head, Thor quite often throws cars at people during battles, etc etc..

The big dramatic reveal in Civil War that was the crux of Zemo's entire plan was that Tony's parents were killed by Bucky in a car. Tony's Dad actually escapes the car but Bucky picks him up and places him carefully back inside.
Someone actually died in a car for once and it was so freakin' awful that the Avengers freaked out and beat the poo poo out of each other over it. :v:

Edit: huh, Dr Strange's origin is that he nearly dies in a car crash. loving hell, these movies are totally obsessed with trashing cars for dramatic effect.

Edit: also Stark's origin was that the convoy of armored cars he was traveling in were attacked by terrorists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YvvFntN-Ec
If there is one thing that your post has taught me its that the logical endpoint for the Marvel movie franchise is a crossover with Transformers.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The cynical part of me thinks that the car overkill is a backdoor way to include product placement.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

well why not posted:

The cynical part of me thinks that the car overkill is a backdoor way to include product placement.

uh yeah

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

If there is one thing that your post has taught me its that the logical endpoint for the Marvel movie franchise is a crossover with Transformers.

Marvel was partly responsible for the Transformers as they were introduced back in the 1980s. They not only published the comics, but came up with the names and backstory too. And then you get these.

Recently, a Chinese company made these bootlegs based on actual Transformers toys:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ElNarez posted:

okay but is it fun?

Nigh-unbearably fun.

The MSJ posted:

Marvel was partly responsible for the Transformers as they were introduced back in the 1980s. They not only published the comics, but came up with the names and backstory too. And then you get these.

I kind of need Doomtank.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/854199061678886912

CHEERS REFERENCE? Well I'm fuckin sold. A+ movie of the year.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well it will probably be as fun as GOTG 1, which was less fun than the 2005 Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie.

e: Just for a visual aid, the progress made in twee sci-fi comedy between 2005 and 2014:

Wasn't HHG2G also a Disney produced film? Why don't their films look this good anymore?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd be interested to see HHGTTG vs. Jupiter Ascending as it's such a clear inspiration

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

parallelodad posted:

Wasn't HHG2G also a Disney produced film? Why don't their films look this good anymore?

Apparently they're not hiring enough music video directors. Just a sample of Garth Jennings's work pre-HTGTGTG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W-AJlTHL1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXRVX1AKAew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj44stHz49g

e: And I'd like to emphasise that HGttGGTGTGT isn't a very good movie outside of the visuals.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 18, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There's more early reactions from critics at non-comic sites.

The consensus from Variety, Hollywood Reporter, and NYT critics is basically:

"Very good overall, but the formula is pretty much the same as the first Guardians with new characters and executed really well."

The full review embargo is lifted next Tuesday.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Maluco Marinero posted:

Unfortunately that doesn't seem all that new to me. It's a similar story with fashion journalism, sports journalism, car journalism, games journalism, you name it. It seems like people are just coming around to the idea that political journalism seems to be run by fanboys, too, but it's really the same as every other enthusiast press - total control over the field by a small handful of corporations. There's no room for independence. I suppose the pop culture stuff distinguishes itself because its "journalists" are ideal consumers to a fault and have no ability to separate themselves from brand loyalty so they're not only intolerant of opposing views but literally unable to imagine them. But if there's some field you have more intimate knowledge of, and read the reporting on that, I'm sure you'll notice that same phenomenon there, to a somewhat lesser but still noticeable degree.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There's more early reactions from critics at non-comic sites.

The consensus from Variety, Hollywood Reporter, and NYT critics is basically:

"Very good overall, but the formula is pretty much the same as the first Guardians with new characters and executed really well."

The full review embargo is lifted next Tuesday.

So pretty much the same as the Doctor Strange reviews, where I remember a few critics noting that Marvel movies are getting rather same-y.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The MSJ posted:

So pretty much the same as the Doctor Strange reviews, where I remember a few critics noting that Marvel movies are getting rather same-y.

People were saying that the plot beats of Strange were a retread, but the effects and dialogue were very good.

The reviews seem to be saying that Guardians plot beats are very good, but that they follow an "Empire Strikes Back" scenario to deal with the larger cast. They split the main characters up and follow similar plot beats to the first (save galaxy, integrate new members into "the family," and probe Peter's past), but in multiple groups.

You could argue whether that is really "pretty much the same format" or not. But the full reviews will be out soon, so they can elaborate.

They all say that it is very funny, makes excellent use of its soundtrack, and has great action scenes, so I'm looking forward to it even if it is a similar arc with different details.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 18, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The setting and characters all really clicked with me with Guardians so more of the same would be cool to me for the first sequel.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The big dramatic reveal in Civil War that was the crux of Zemo's entire plan was that Tony's parents were killed by Bucky in a car. Tony's Dad actually escapes the car but Bucky picks him up and places him carefully back inside.
Someone actually died in a car for once and it was so freakin' awful that the Avengers freaked out and beat the poo poo out of each other over it. :v:

Edit: huh, Dr Strange's origin is that he nearly dies in a car crash. loving hell, these movies are totally obsessed with trashing cars for dramatic effect.

It's not really trashing cars for dramatic effect, it's how poo poo gets real when people are attacked in their cars.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

H2G2 was a remarkably boring movie.

Violator
May 15, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Unfortunately that doesn't seem all that new to me. It's a similar story with fashion journalism, sports journalism, car journalism, games journalism, you name it. It seems like people are just coming around to the idea that political journalism seems to be run by fanboys, too, but it's really the same as every other enthusiast press - total control over the field by a small handful of corporations. There's no room for independence. I suppose the pop culture stuff distinguishes itself because its "journalists" are ideal consumers to a fault and have no ability to separate themselves from brand loyalty so they're not only intolerant of opposing views but literally unable to imagine them. But if there's some field you have more intimate knowledge of, and read the reporting on that, I'm sure you'll notice that same phenomenon there, to a somewhat lesser but still noticeable degree.

Yeah, Harry Knowles was trading studio presents and set visits for gushing trip reports and reviews since like 1997.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Those banalities thrown around in the impressions are pretty indicative. GotG 1, as pointed out, is a movie that's not even up to par with the utterly mediocre but visually amazing HGttG adaptation. The only way it seems good is by detaching it from the greater context of cinema.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea, more of the same is pretty much exactly what I want from it, and I guess marvel in general, so all that sounds good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Those banalities thrown around in the impressions are pretty indicative. GotG 1, as pointed out, is a movie that's not even up to par with the utterly mediocre but visually amazing HGttG adaptation. The only way it seems good is by detaching it from the greater context of cinema.

And by adding an 80s soundtrack? Say did anyone remember the 80s? Oh man, the times and media when I was a kid are so much better than the current times and media.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Violator posted:

Yeah, Harry Knowles was trading studio presents and set visits for gushing trip reports and reviews since like 1997.

I remember when he slammed Rollerball and John McTiernan supposedly like totally re-edited the film based on Harry's input and he got cred as being bluntly honest and hard hitting for like one month.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nacho Libre is like a hug in movie form.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

H2G2 was a remarkably boring movie.

Shockingly so. It's the only movie my wife has ever fallen asleep during while in the theatre, and she was always a huge fan of the book series. It's amazing how it manages to take Martin Freeman and Sam Rockwell, two phenomenal and charming actors, and somehow make them asinine and tedious.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The original GotG I liked a lot but it was also released in a drought of space adventure movies. This year we have Valerian and The Last Jedi (as well as having had 2 SW movies the last 2 years) so I wonder how it will match up. I am sure I will see it and be entertained which is all I really ask, but I would like it to be a good movie I can rewatch and talk about as well!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The TV adaptation was also rather boring, and if I may be blunt, the original radio serials while smartly written somewhat plod along. It's just a series who's one true format is written word.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Shockingly so. It's the only movie my wife has ever fallen asleep during while in the theatre, and she was always a huge fan of the book series. It's amazing how it manages to take Martin Freeman and Sam Rockwell, two phenomenal and charming actors, and somehow make them asinine and tedious.

Yeah jeez looking back it was crazy how dull it turned out. On paper it looks phenomenal, even now I'm sitting here like "poo poo Sam Rockwell and Martin Freeman maybe I should give it another watch".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I've never read the book, but I thought that the Hitchhiker's movie was charming and enjoyed it when I first watched it.

I can't tell you much about it now, so it obviously didn't stick with me, but I wouldn't have fallen asleep in the theater.

Maybe going in blind helped keep parts of it interesting.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only part of the film I really remember is the Slartibartfast planet factory tour thing and it was really awesome.

I could name you probably a pretty accurate synopsis of the rest of the film and what stuff in it is new like the point of view gun and the Elton John character or the expanded role of the vogons but don't really remember them visually.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Really good production values.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Violator posted:

A true pioneer. It's easy to give him poo poo for that kind of thing but the studio junket has been around way longer. Journalism is full of people who can be easily bought with some catering and a hotel room for a couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

parallelodad posted:

The TV adaptation was also rather boring, and if I may be blunt, the original radio serials while smartly written somewhat plod along. It's just a series who's one true format is written word.

To be fair the original format was a 1978 radio play on BBC 4 and the 1981 TV series (which was already the 5th version of the IP even though only 3 years had passed) was on BBC Two so there's no way in hell they were going to be thrill-a-minute rollicking action jaunts. They're also exceedingly British and rather of their time so they probably haven't aged well at all.

But at least the TV series had a badass theme tune.

• Locked thread