Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I had a weird glitch fighting a molduga where it ate my round bomb and I couldn't detonate it and I couldn't pull out another bomb. It wasn't until I got the molduga to eat a cube bomb and I blew that up that I could use the round bombs again.

Question. Batrea Lake (near the Riverside stable) has three giant metal boxes, two of which are in a hollowed out stump. I cannot find any purpose to these boxes. Does anyone know what's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

MustelaFuro posted:

Question. Batrea Lake (near the Riverside stable) has three giant metal boxes, two of which are in a hollowed out stump. I cannot find any purpose to these boxes. Does anyone know what's up with that?

just a guess, but put the third box in the stump for a korok seed?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Apparently the gerudo have perfected the concept of a giant horse-impermeable invisible membrane.

Also, those giant metal doors don't save their location when you save and load.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
holy poo poo so thats how you kill moldugas when you arent swimming in bomb arrows

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

just a guess, but put the third box in the stump for a korok seed?

I think I tried that.

Also, this was funny, and oddly cute? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj6CmqsggJA

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MustelaFuro posted:

I think I tried that.

Also, this was funny, and oddly cute? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj6CmqsggJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx0Hu9nzVwU made me laugh harder than it had any right to

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx0Hu9nzVwU made me laugh harder than it had any right to

Holy gently caress that ending :laffo:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I went through that crevasse looking for the thunder helmet but it just opened up into more desert and I don't see any fortress. Where am I supposed to go now?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Unmature posted:

I went through that crevasse looking for the thunder helmet but it just opened up into more desert and I don't see any fortress. Where am I supposed to go now?

follow the stones my man

it's not an aboveground fortress

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Ularg posted:

Wait... you can skip that?

Also, I'm breaking my rule cause I need help. I have no idea how I'm supposed to catch dragonflies. Warm Darner, cold darner, electric darner. They just fly away instantly as soon as I approach them and I can't catch them.

As with a few other skips I don't think it actually saves any time. Like you can skip the inventory upgrade dance and the fairy armor upgrade animation but I think it's literally longer to do so than just watching it. The Blood Moon, if you skip it, still hangs while the world finishes resetting.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ugato posted:

As with a few other skips I don't think it actually saves any time. Like you can skip the inventory upgrade dance and the fairy armor upgrade animation but I think it's literally longer to do so than just watching it. The Blood Moon, if you skip it, still hangs while the world finishes resetting.

On a switch cart, at least, it only lets you actually skip when it's finished doing it's thing in the back. I'll hit X as soon as it pops up, but it takes a variable amount of time to show the "hit + to skip" depending (it seems) on how much damage I've done since the last blood moon. Occasionally it just won't let me skip, period.

You may see variable times on other platforms/formats.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I've always been able to skip the Blood Moon cutscene the second it starts. :shrug:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Phantasium posted:

I've always been able to skip the Blood Moon cutscene the second it starts. :shrug:

You just have to press x then +. The long load screen after is annoying though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, the "not able to skip at all" seems to be more prevelant if:

1. I significantly postponed the most recent cycle, since being in a shrine/dungeon at midnight postpones it to the next night, or

2. I'm running into that "oh poo poo something hosed up, blood moon at 2pm" deal

Most of the time it's pretty immediately skippable, which makes the times when it's not all the more noticeable.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
So if you blow yourself up with a bomb you can still pause, save, eat, etc. while you're getting up. If you save right before you stand up (the timing has to be pretty specific) in a cutscene trigger area you'll be able to load directly into the cutscene. This is good. I just attempted it on a new save and got a warp to work. Unfortunately the warp basically smashes me into the ground and kills me. I'll do more testing tomorrow to try to make it so that isn't the case.

Here's a quick guide if anyone else wants to try:
  1. Make a new account
  2. Do all the Plateau shrines
  3. Head to the Temple of Time
  4. Stand on the little ledge in front of the Old Man (the cutscene shouldn't start)
  5. Put down a bomb
  6. Jump to the Old Man and blow up the bomb under yourself
  7. While you're standing up pause and save (it might be difficult to get the timing down)
  8. After you've saved teleport to the Cryonis shrine and go into it
  9. Make an ice block in the water and get on top
  10. Face the edge of the ice block
  11. You need to climb down and pause on basically the same frame (you shouldn't even notice the camera change)
  12. Load the save you made with the cutscene

If everything "worked" something weird should happen. I got three different outcomes over a few tests. The most interesting was that I appeared outside of the Old Man cutscene area and basically collapsed on the roof which hurt Link, then teleported to outside where Link originally wakes up, then collapsed again there and took more damage, then died and got a Game Over.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
It's basically a shrine warp except instead of loading the main map's co-ordinates into a shrine you're loading a shrine's co-ordinates into the main map.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Definitely interesting, I look forward to the inevitable credits wrong-warp TAS :allears:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I appreciate all the science you are doing, thatguy!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

thatguy posted:

It's basically a shrine warp except instead of loading the main map's co-ordinates into a shrine you're loading a shrine's co-ordinates into the main map.

Was this just discovered or do people know about it? Seems like something speedrunners might want to investigate since they're trying hard to skip plateau.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I don't think Plateau can be skipped without ACE.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Dizz posted:

Was this just discovered or do people know about it? Seems like something speedrunners might want to investigate since they're trying hard to skip plateau.

Skipping the plateau is never going to happen unless someone finds a skip directly to the credits.

There's a small area where you can run around off of the plateau if you can find a way past the clouds surrounding it, but past that there is a box around the plateau. If you step foot anywhere outside of this box without the paraglider, you immediately get voided back to the plateau. Even if you found a way to wrong-warp to the final boss, it takes place in the overworld, which would get you kicked back to the plateau.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Here's what the above looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYRfg_0lxIc

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shadowlyger posted:

Skipping the plateau is never going to happen unless someone finds a skip directly to the credits.

There's a small area where you can run around off of the plateau if you can find a way past the clouds surrounding it, but past that there is a box around the plateau. If you step foot anywhere outside of this box without the paraglider, you immediately get voided back to the plateau. Even if you found a way to wrong-warp to the final boss, it takes place in the overworld, which would get you kicked back to the plateau.

Not unless there's a way to trick the game into thinking you have the glider and despawning the void box.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

Not unless there's a way to trick the game into thinking you have the glider and despawning the void box.

Tricks the game into thinking you have the glider, runs to Hyrule castle, the cutscene with Ganon starts playing and as it's dramatically panning around him at the bottom of the pit, Link just falls past the camera and leaves a crater on the floor

Eriic
Aug 9, 2009

Twisp, is this a truth? Do you do evil?

Shadowlyger posted:

I think it's premature to say it will never happen. There's always the possibility that some new tech will be able to circumvent it somehow. Maybe there's a way to travel while the game thinks you're somewhere you're not (e.g. the plateau). There could be a way to trigger some other event or be in a state at the instant the game tries to void you and the other thing takes precedence. That could certainly be possible unless the game is constantly re-checking to void you. Any number of crazy glitches could exist that just haven't been discovered yet.

crayon85
Dec 25, 2013
Finished the main story line the other day. Final fight was cool but I had to get a move on fighting Dark Beast Ganon because I suddenly noticed during the very final bit where you have to shoot his eye of malice that it was 23:20 and oh poo poo that's a blood moon. Got the final shot at 23:50 with the sky nice and red and the music playing backwards. Pretty cool game, I really enjoyed it. I still have a few shrines left to do but my bf wants a go now so...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've got about 12 or so shrines I have no idea the location of, and I've explored a ton of the world. Is there any general hint guy to point you towards any remaining shrines or is it trial and error? I've got no more shrine quests active either.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Invictus posted:

I've got about 12 or so shrines I have no idea the location of, and I've explored a ton of the world. Is there any general hint guy to point you towards any remaining shrines or is it trial and error? I've got no more shrine quests active either.

Trial and error. If it helps, there are 42 total shrine quests; all non-quest shrines will ping your sensor.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Now I'm laughing to myself about the hero of legend returning from his 100 year slumber only to run off and get himself killed almost immediately by messing around with a hammer and his new ability.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

thatguy posted:

Are there any cutscenes that you can trigger directly after saving and loading? If there are I think you could screw up the game pretty spectacularly.

If you do the paragliding long distance challenge into the final room with Gabon, it puts up a bubble that you can't leave, yet the game takes you back to the tower when you touch the ground. Apparently the world is then empty with no enemies, and no way to enter that room to face Ganon

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm not even like, a huge Zelda fan and this game is the poo poo. I haven't been so completely engrossed by a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time.

My only real complaints are that the final boss is really kind of a letdown as are the 4 dungeons\bosses. But the rest of the game is freakin' awesome.

I'm sure it's been said but this game has the best Princess Zelda. I'm sure that viewing yourself as a failure is something that most goons can relate to. (zing!) What's weird is she almost feels like the protagonist of the game, even though for 99% of it, she only appears in flashbacks or as a disembodied voice. If you read the diaries in the castle, they even give King Roam and Link characterization and motivations. They explain why Link rarely talks. Very cool.

However while it's really cool that they gave personalities to Link and Zelda who are typically made of cardboard, Ganon gets nothin'. Say what you will about Twilight Princess (I think the game was a little on the boring side) but it certainly had a cool as gently caress final fight with Ganondorf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4pwfJdfjMA

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Dizz posted:

The shrine warp was discovered a while ago and was only able to be reproduced meaningfully very recently. The thing is that most shrines aren't big or complicated enough to warrant going through the whole process of performing the glitch. An overworld warp would be a lot more useful in terms of speedruns and loving around in general.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef_nUxJStHA

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

frodnonnag posted:

i also can't find any giant boomerang spawns.

In case you're curious about this, I've found the Stalnox in the forest near the Little Twin Bridge just past the Dueling Peaks will drop them, though I haven't experimented to see how consistent it is.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
One of the things pointed to most as a disappointment is the lack of true dungeons. But maybe it's a matter of perspective? Perhaps the developers, in their clear and solid attempt at creating a more open world without being tied down as much, wanted the "dungeon" experience to be more open ended as well. Perhaps you could view everything Zora as the dungeon. The block of time spent from the moment you first meet your new fish boyfriend, inside Vah Ruta, and all the side quests inherent to the village could be viewed as a distinct separation from your free roaming blasting Hinox's, collecting treasure, riding horses, etc - right?

I know in my mind it was a complete switching of priority when I finally decided to put off exploring the map for a while and dive into knocking down another 25% of the Divine Beasts quest. So maybe the "lack of true dungeons" could be something celebrated instead of criticized because it's a manifestation of a greater endeavor to keep the player's options open and not getting tied down to particular area/quest/room for a significant period of time - which seems to be a widely accepted and enjoyed facet of this game.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the forest temple of OoT and the dungeon specific things as much as everyone else. In fact I do kind of wish these hugely important tools like Stasis and Cryosis were acquired through more of a difficult struggle in a more fleshed out Divine Beast. But, again, I guess my point is that I appreciate the devs trying something new and seeing if people like engaging a whole community and solving their problems, rather than just diving into a forest temple for 2 hours and only talking to one or two characters to get there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is horse death permanent? My horse died to a wolf attack and when I went back to a stable I couldn't have them pull him up.

I thought you could get them back :ohdear:

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is horse death permanent? My horse died to a wolf attack and when I went back to a stable I couldn't have them pull him up.

http://www.gosunoob.com/zelda-breath-of-wild/horse-fairy-how-to-resurrect-horses-zelda-botw/

I found that thing accidentally, and expected it to be a regular fairy. It was like drinking orange juice, expecting it to be milk.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It would've been really satisfying to earn the rune powers over the course of the entire game, but it'd make the difficulty way, way harder if you didn't always have access to stuff like bombs or the cryonis rune.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is a Horse God fairy that'll let you revive the horse

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

yamdankee posted:

One of the things pointed to most as a disappointment is the lack of true dungeons. But maybe it's a matter of perspective? Perhaps the developers, in their clear and solid attempt at creating a more open world without being tied down as much, wanted the "dungeon" experience to be more open ended as well. Perhaps you could view everything Zora as the dungeon. The block of time spent from the moment you first meet your new fish boyfriend, inside Vah Ruta, and all the side quests inherent to the village could be viewed as a distinct separation from your free roaming blasting Hinox's, collecting treasure, riding horses, etc - right?

I know in my mind it was a complete switching of priority when I finally decided to put off exploring the map for a while and dive into knocking down another 25% of the Divine Beasts quest. So maybe the "lack of true dungeons" could be something celebrated instead of criticized because it's a manifestation of a greater endeavor to keep the player's options open and not getting tied down to particular area/quest/room for a significant period of time - which seems to be a widely accepted and enjoyed facet of this game.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the forest temple of OoT and the dungeon specific things as much as everyone else. In fact I do kind of wish these hugely important tools like Stasis and Cryosis were acquired through more of a difficult struggle in a more fleshed out Divine Beast. But, again, I guess my point is that I appreciate the devs trying something new and seeing if people like engaging a whole community and solving their problems, rather than just diving into a forest temple for 2 hours and only talking to one or two characters to get there.

I think it's actually kind of good that you get all your important tools early, so you're basically free to do whatever. I played Link Between Worlds on a business trip because I couldn't play this (I have it for Wii U) and that game is almost like a proto-Breath of the Wild in that you can get all your tools early and go wherever and do whatever. I thought it was gonna be a lame cash-in on nostalgia like New Super Mario Bros. but no, Link Between Worlds is great. (And the soundtrack owns.)

In the near future, what I want Nintendo to do is not to make a new Zelda game (at least for a long time), but instead keep releasing new content for this one. I hope they won't abandon the game after this initial season pass. The core game of BOTW is so good that I want them to make expansion packs instead of new Zelda games for a while.

Getting away from huge dungeons is obviously a conscious decision (see shrines) but it would be really cool to get some larger optional dungeons added in. I'd like to see some more variety with bosses with maybe a couple classic ones added in like Goma or Moldorm or whatever.

It would be cool if they added a hookshot into the game, even though you don't really need it, because the hookshot was always fun to play with. I just wonder if they did that, if it would actually break the game and ruin a lot of puzzles, but I suppose there's more than one way to solve many puzzles, anyway. A mirror shield that automatically deflects Guardian blasts without having to time it would also be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ALBW is a great game. I hope the next Zelda is a top-down title with ALBW style controls and Windwaker art style. If you're good at keeping rich in ALBW you really can cheese a lot of stuff. I think it's such an interesting step between BotW freedom and the LTTP formula.

Interestingly, it highlights Links' greediness before BotW did