Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bEatmstrJ posted:

I have a couple of AFCI breakers in my house, then there is one GFCI outlet downstream of a bunch of normal ones. Not sure if the AFCI breakers are also hooked to the GFCI circuits (never bothered to check), but almost all of my bathroom outlets are normal outlets with stickers on them with a feed from a single GFCI outlet.

i respect you and i respect the hilarity of this thread but i hope you won't be offended if i decline to take bathroom wiring advice from you, even if it's on a snype :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I like how even the most basic, casual googling says DO NOT loving CUT INTO THE TOP OR BOTTOM OF I-BEAMS YOU IDIOT!

Like, not even 30 seconds of googling will show this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bEatmstrJ posted:

I don't think there is enough slack

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electronics-Romex-Splice-Kit-2-Wire-1-Clam-CPGI-1116377-2/202204326

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

SoundMonkey posted:

semi-related: the house i just bought, much like the house i'm currently renting, has normal outlets in the bathroom (with "GFCI Protected" stickers) and a GFCI breaker on the other end of them. is this legit? i mean obviously it's legit because it's legal to sell GFCI breakers but am i looking at downsides?

You only want one GFCI device in a given circuit, so a breaker is a reasonable way of doing that. Breakers are more difficult to replace as necessary, but that's the biggest downside, I believe. In fact, as a reference point, I believe that's the standard approach in the UK.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Explosionface posted:

You only want one GFCI device in a given circuit, so a breaker is a reasonable way of doing that. Breakers are more difficult to replace as necessary, but that's the biggest downside, I believe. In fact, as a reference point, I believe that's the standard approach in the UK.

Counterpoint: ring mains

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
OP have you considered wiring everything for 220v your hair dryer will work twice as fast.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

H110Hawk posted:

Counterpoint: ring mains

Very yes. I almost mentioned it myself, but figured everyone that cared already knew and how terrible they are.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Explosionface posted:

Very yes. I almost mentioned it myself, but figured everyone that cared already knew and how terrible they are.

If there is one thing this thread is good at it's running jokes into the ground like this guys bathtub.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bEatmstrJ posted:

This is not within the scope of this thread.

I disagree on the grounds that this thread is about your bad decisions in DIY

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

This picture makes me want to slap whoever decorated/staged it.

Whoever designed that room has a can light fetish.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If you cut that top stud the wire is going through completely out there will be more slack. Problem solved.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Is it just me or is it really weird that leaving a flying splice in your wall is fine but burying a junction box with propertly twisted and wirenutted connections is not?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

As promised:
Are you going to take me home tonight?

Oh beside that red firelight.

Are you gonna let it all hang out?

Glass bottom tubs, you make the rocking world go round.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That first one looks really tacky, but I still like it a lot.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

WrenP-Complete posted:

Glass bottom tubs, you make the rocking world go round.

This is loving awesome. OP do this but with your kitchen below.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Burt Sexual posted:

:agreed: This is some next level poo poo. No builder grade house has anything like that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that's got some next-level tubgirl potential

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Burt Sexual posted:

That way as you lay in the bath upstairs you can watch your wife and two kids as they walk out of the house forever, finally fed up with your DIY antics.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The mental image of being in a kitchen, and looking up at the ceiling and seeing some guy's bare rear end against the bottom a glass tub is pretty epic.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Snak posted:

The mental image of being in a kitchen, and looking up at the ceiling and seeing some guy's bare rear end against the bottom a glass tub is pretty epic.

Turkey in the oven, pressed ham on the ceiling

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Set the glass tub through the bathroom floor so it's this big glass dome suspended from the kitchen ceiling. Takes care of the kitchen lighting too like these plastic bottles they have in third world villages without power. What's a little bleach if you can save on your power bill?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I missed this one at first, but it seems most suited to the OP's aesthetic:

And a light up one!

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 18, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Excuse me I think you mean https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deck_prism. Way classier and fuckpalacier.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Whoever designed that room has a can light fetish.

From everything I can gather, the duty of a home lighting designer is to install as many recessed lighting fixtures of every description that the structure can physically support.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Seems like those clear tubs would be a pain to clean, especially if you don't have soft water. Then again, if you can afford them you can probably afford a maid to clean it for you.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Konstantin posted:

Seems like those clear tubs would be a pain to clean, especially if you don't have soft water. Then again, if you can afford them you can probably afford a maid to clean it for you.

CLR cleans anything.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

H110Hawk posted:

CLR cleans anything.

Anything it doesn't clean, it removes, and cleans what's underneath!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

What if it's dirt all the way down?

Load bearing dirt, if you will.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Cleans. Anything.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

oh, right you are. get those pigtails outside the junction box, no room for wasted space in a proper DIY job.

semi-related: the house i just bought, much like the house i'm currently renting, has normal outlets in the bathroom (with "GFCI Protected" stickers) and a GFCI breaker on the other end of them. is this legit? i mean obviously it's legit because it's legal to sell GFCI breakers but am i looking at downsides?

GFI breakers are more expensive (and sometimes harder to find replacements for) than non-GFI but the same applies to receptacles... TBH I haven't lived in a place with GFI breakers, instead everywhere has just had a lot of GFI receptacles.

In any case it can't hurt to get one of these and check that the stickers are accurate. While you're there may as well also get one of these as well to check for this (and otherwise verifying that 'off' lines are actually off before touching them). Back when I first moved in here, I checked all the outlets with a tester and (happily?) the only problem I found was one outlet with neutral/hot reversed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MrYenko posted:

So something like this, then?

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

The Bloop posted:

Load bearing dirt, if you will.

The world would be a real interesting place if dirt didn't bear loads. :science:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It would arguably not be a world.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

canyoneer posted:

:golfclap:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

Only in America :911:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xwing posted:

The world would be a real interesting place if dirt didn't bear loads. :science:

My house is built on solid bedrock floating in the void of space.

My neighbor, Thanos, keeps me up all night grinding his teeth.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Bloop posted:

My house is built on solid bedrock floating in the void of space.

My neighbor, Thanos, keeps me up all night grinding his teeth.

...... Terrax? Is that you?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

OP I'm glad you're getting actual engineers and people who don't want to crush their kitchen island with their taint when they fall through their floor, but I gotta admit a tiny part of me was hoping for a basement-pool-next-to-electrical-panel horror show.

Congrats on that, though.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

SoundMonkey posted:

OP I'm glad you're getting actual engineers and people who don't want to crush their kitchen island with their taint when they fall through their floor, but I gotta admit a tiny part of me was hoping for a basement-pool-next-to-electrical-panel horror show.

Congrats on that, though.

Well if you think about it, it's really the fault of this forum for not letting this happen. You guys should have colluded before distracting me from my grand design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well if you think about it, it's really the fault of this forum for not letting this happen. You guys should have colluded before distracting me from my grand design.

fuckin' lol if you don't think every single person who posted helpfully wasn't at least a LITTLE tempted.

especially the people who are gonna post after this and lie right to my face and say they weren't.

• Locked thread