Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

holy poo poo that's a bad post.

Ignore it, let's talk about fusing some more.

I really wish I wasn't at work so I can be at home and experiment with persona fusions. Especially the treasure demons. I'm pretty sure they follow special rules but I have yet to reason them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It'd be a lot easier to do plot discussion and read people's reactions, which I enjoy, if it wasn't all in big black boxes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The spoiler thread for Horizon was good and people posted a lot of speculation and discussion until it ran its course. Meanwhile the main thread stayed really active with people who both have and haven't finished the game yet talking about things other than the ending. It's a good idea. :shrug:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rangda and its phys repel makes some fights pretty hilarious. I've had a miniboss Charge and wipe itself out on the protagonist :allears:.

Dude, oh my god, the best advice for the Palace 6 boss is "bring Rangda".

She dunked herself for a total of 1000+ damage over the course of the fight because she basically only uses physical lol

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think the only special rule for treasure demons is that they always give a persona of the same arcana as the other fusion persona

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I use this fusion calculator and I have found it to be quite reliable. https://chinhodado.github.io/persona5_calculator/#/list

Dragonatrix: You are right about Mot. I forget which personas I used for him but I know they were not above 80 and this calculator does support that feeling.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

SettingSun posted:

Ignore it, let's talk about fusing some more.

I really wish I wasn't at work so I can be at home and experiment with persona fusions. Especially the treasure demons. I'm pretty sure they follow special rules but I have yet to reason them out.

why is king frost such a high level song in this game?

why have i gone 20ish levels without my frost buddy?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

wizard on a water slide posted:

Dude, oh my god, the best advice for the Palace 6 boss is "bring Rangda".

She dunked herself for a total of 1000+ damage over the course of the fight because she basically only uses physical lol

For those shenanigans I much prefer the moon elephant. He repels both physical and gun attacks and best of all he naturally learns the mass lower defense skills.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Harrow posted:

I was doing fine on Hard from the third Palace onward until one of the Mementos bosses. I had to turn it down to Normal for him. The loving Baphomet shadow you fight for Chihaya's request and his loving Brain Jack spam holy poo poo. I turned it back up after that fight but gently caress that fight.

I lost an hour's worth of progress on this fight the first time I had it. I managed to get him down about halfway before my entire party got brain jacked and MC and Makoto cast consecutive Diarama on the boss :shepface:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

I use this fusion calculator and I have found it to be quite reliable. https://chinhodado.github.io/persona5_calculator/#/list

Dragonatrix: You are right about Mot. I forget which personas I used for him but I know they were not above 80 and this calculator does support that feeling.

Strangely, the calculator doesn't (or didn't if it's changed) tell you how to get Satan without DLC, but you can 100% get it with Treasure Demons. Michael x Orlov gets you him I think.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think it's refreshing that they rearranged the levels of a lot of the personas in this game. Things like a level 40 King Frost or a very high level Fortuna, which I remember in P3 was the lowest level Fortune persona.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Strangely, the calculator doesn't (or didn't if it's changed) tell you how to get Satan without DLC, but you can 100% get it with Treasure Demons. Michael x Orlov gets you him I think.

Depends on if you have the DLC I think. That will just get you Messiah Picaro if you do.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
So, I'm correct in thinking that (2nd dungeon boss)Madarame's shadow's nose only twitches if you enter the Palace on a "pollen warning" day? That's pretty cool, if a bit difficult to predict since there's no weather forecast like in persona 4.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

socialsecurity posted:

You could start a thread for new players instead of making 90% of the people in this thread move to a different in order to satisfy you or are we all posting slaves in your palace?

shout out to this guy for being a crazy

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

shout out to makoto for smoking me

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

Hard can be pretty unforgiving, I've found. It's not so bad if you stay on top of your SMT/Persona fundamentals (use status effects, make sure you debuff strong enemies consistently) but if you gently caress up, you'll get smacked hard for it.

I was doing fine on Hard from the third Palace onward until one of the Mementos bosses. I had to turn it down to Normal for him. The loving Baphomet shadow you fight for Chihaya's request and his loving Brain Jack spam holy poo poo. I turned it back up after that fight but gently caress that fight.
I'm reconsidering what I think this game's combat system gains from being harder, and I genuinely think the answer is "absolutely nothing". I'll probably just go down to Normal and save myself the ballache. The Palaces are long and annoying enough as it is.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Not nearly enough spikes or an air of general menace for Makoto.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Not nearly enough spikes or an air of general menace for Makoto.

How about you
buddy???!?!??!

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
http://justintaco.tumblr.com/post/159662216859 best girl

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

SettingSun posted:

I think it's refreshing that they rearranged the levels of a lot of the personas in this game. Things like a level 40 King Frost or a very high level Fortuna, which I remember in P3 was the lowest level Fortune persona.

I like that king frost is now a casual end-game persona, but being without a frost for levels 20-61 is very :smith:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I don't think I saw that Makoto portrait in my playthrough, what scene was she in a tracksuit?

Mr. Big
Sep 26, 2006

BONK!
Anyone pick up any of the DLC? I've bought the Personas, but I think I'll pass on the costumes. I enjoy the default costumes and music too much change them. Maybe if they were cheaper?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm reconsidering what I think this game's combat system gains from being harder, and I genuinely think the answer is "absolutely nothing". I'll probably just go down to Normal and save myself the ballache. The Palaces are long and annoying enough as it is.

I can't quite decide how I feel about Hard, but I think my take on it is just that it doesn't forgive mistakes. If you fail to get an ambush, you're going to get punished; if you don't debuff bosses, you're going to get punished; if you can't quickly figure out the weaknesses of new enemies, you're going to get punished. You basically have to treat enemies without weaknesses like minibosses because you're not going to be able to consistently kill them before they can attack, so debuff and use status effects to make sure they either can't attack or don't own you too hard when they do.

If those things don't appeal, then yeah, definitely don't play on Hard. And if you already find the Palaces "annoying," definitely don't increase the difficulty. I'd say difficulties above Normal are only a good idea if you actively enjoy the gameplay and want to feel like you have to engage with the combat more than you already are.

I don't understand playing Merciless on NG, though. I like some of what I know about it (aren't Technical! attacks a lot stronger? That's a cool tactical change) but the huge decrease in EXP and money earned just sounds like it's going to be grindy as hell unless you're on NG+ and I'm not in for that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 18, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

I can't quite decide how I feel about Hard, but I think my take on it is just that it doesn't forgive mistakes. If you fail to get an ambush, you're going to get punished; if you don't debuff bosses, you're going to get punished; if you can't quickly figure out the weaknesses of new enemies, you're going to get punished. You basically have to treat enemies without weaknesses like minibosses because you're not going to be able to consistently kill them before they can attack, so debuff and use status effects to make sure they either can't attack or don't own you too hard when they do.

If those things don't appeal, then yeah, definitely don't play on Hard.

Welcome to Shin Megami Tensei, motherfuckers :toughguy:. Incidentally as a bit of trivia; what you just described is Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on Normal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/batsugeemu/status/853999830036873216

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I decided to be the change I wish to see in the world and made the best possible effort five minutes at work can come up with for a spoiler thread.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Welcome to Shin Megami Tensei, motherfuckers :toughguy:. Incidentally as a bit of trivia; what you just described is Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on Normal.

Well, except for the ambush part, I think. Nocturne had random encounters so you couldn't really control whether you got the drop on enemies or not.

That's why I'm playing on Hard: I like those parts of SMT games. I was one of the people who was disappointed with how easy SMT IV got in the second half. I want to have to care about debuffs and status effects.

The only thing I wish is that the game used Press Turns instead of the One More system. I like Press Turns a lot more, especially because it makes it easier to incorporate elemental weaknesses into boss fights without it just turning into an All-Out Attack fest. The only thing that'd be lost is that I think Baton Pass is a cool mechanic and that might not work with Press Turns, but other than that, SMT-style Press Turns are way cooler.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The first time I played Nocturne I had let my boyfriend convince me to play on Hard mode when I was going in blind for my first time.

I still haven't forgiven him for doing that to me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Makoto is definitely the best. :allears:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

On Normal there was only one encounter that I definitely felt was bullshit: One of the jerks in Palace 6 cast Evil Smile, fearing the MC. MC's turn, he's feared so he gets skipped. Jerk immediately goes again and casts Ghastly Wail. Whoops, dead. This was in the back end of the dark maze so I was pissed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I felt some nostalgia fusing that Matador with Magaru. Atlus knows what they did to us :argh:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Well, except for the ambush part, I think. Nocturne had random encounters so you couldn't really control whether you got the drop on enemies or not.

That's why I'm playing on Hard: I like those parts of SMT games. I was one of the people who was disappointed with how easy SMT IV got in the second half. I want to have to care about debuffs and status effects.

The only thing I wish is that the game used Press Turns instead of the One More system. I like Press Turns a lot more, especially because it makes it easier to incorporate elemental weaknesses into boss fights without it just turning into an All-Out Attack fest. The only thing that'd be lost is that I think Baton Pass is a cool mechanic and that might not work with Press Turns, but other than that, SMT-style Press Turns are way cooler.

To this day, Nocturne's boss battles are still loving awesome because of how damned good the press turn system was. I can't even complain that they didn't get enough mileage out of it, they made three games with it explicitly and its skeleton continues to form combat systems of their modern titles. A return to form would be outstanding, though, it's easily my favorite turn-based battle system basically ever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I doubted everyone at first but as soon as I got to this part I realized that Makoto is indeed the best Persona 5 girl, perhaps the best Persona girl ever

RME
Feb 20, 2012

nocturnes difficulty is overhyped
it was the first large exposure we got to SMT that actually caught on a bit (and even then not nearly as much as persona) so people didn't know a lot of the practices of playing an SMT game like how to fuse often and debuffs etc so its gonna blindside anyone that just played like, FFX
especially since we only got the updated version, so yeah matador is probably gonna be your first strength check but on the other hand every Fiend fusion is busted as gently caress (daisoujou especially never has a reason to be replaced) and the labyrinth of amala is gonna rocket you past any main content along with providing great resources like the menu healing nue and the dungeoneering spell piasca

hard mode lucifer can go gently caress himself, but normal is pretty approachable if you have general SMT knowledge which is fairly available now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, when I first played Nocturne I'd already played Persona 3 so I had a good basis for understanding demon fusion and the way the game generally works. I didn't have that hard of a time with Nocturne, though it definitely is more unforgiving than a lot of other PS2 JRPGs.

If it's your first SMT game it's going to seem like the hardest JRPG ever, though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Harrow posted:

If it's your first SMT game it's going to seem like the hardest JRPG ever, though.

:shepface:

I had many tears over playing it on Hard. I'm pretty sure the tutorial killed me like 7 times.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

SettingSun posted:

They work like Elements do in other games. They rank up/down Persona of the same race Arcana either one or two stages depending on the Treasure Demon in question. I don't have a full list of what each one does for each Arcana, but I'm sure there's several floating around by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This might be the first Persona where I genuinely wish I had their powers. Changing people's hearts sounds loving baller.