Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I hope Injustice 2 discussion is just as rife with obnoxious items v.s no items arguments as Smash Brother is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
items are always correct and competitive gaming is for dweebs

jimmy OUT

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fadam posted:

I hope Injustice 2 discussion is just as rife with obnoxious items v.s no items arguments as Smash Brother is.

I doubt any fighting game could ever approach the zenith of psychosis that inhabits the smash bros community

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

AndyElusive posted:

Haaaaaaa!!! *Super*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWj8l5MMBec

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

I doubt any fighting game could ever approach the zenith of psychosis that inhabits the smash bros community

Check out the Injustice 2 subreddit sometime lmao. Less people cumming onto their host's mattresses and more autistic rage about Red Hood (not too dissimilar from BSS tbh) and writing 60 page posts about how they would implement Klarion the Witch Boy as a character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fadam posted:

Check out the Injustice 2 subreddit sometime lmao. Less people cumming onto their host's mattresses and more autistic rage about Red Hood (not too dissimilar from BSS tbh) and writing 60 page posts about how they would implement Klarion the Witch Boy as a character.

... Klarion the Witch Boy would own though?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

... Klarion the Witch Boy would own though?

Just like the plot of Injustice, sometimes people do the wrong things for the right reasons.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
bubastis announced as the final character

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I will be genuinely surprised if we don't get a Watchmen character as DLC.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Game needs Detective Chimp and Ultra humanite as playable chars.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
and monsieur mallah

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

fadam posted:

I will be genuinely surprised if we don't get a Watchmen character as DLC.

Dr. Manhattan and all his moves are one shot kills. There'll be dong physics though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jimmy Hats posted:

I just want to say that if all the goon rooms are gear-off i'mma call u all turbonerds and make fun of you

Don't forget turning off interactibles and stage transitions for the true Fox Only No Items Final Destination experience :pram:

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
The entire "competitive" fighting game scene is the absolute worst thing

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can thank the competitive fighting scene for the last few NRS games being worth a drat.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The competitive fighting scene is fine, it's all the goobers who aren't in it but act like they are and demand you respect their mad skillz that are responsible for the gaming equivalent of setting up replay cams and referees for your backyard touch football game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Nah it's great.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I can't think of "competitive fighting game scene" without the Crowbcat video entering my brain

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

McSpanky posted:

The competitive fighting scene is fine, it's all the goobers who aren't in it but act like they are and demand you respect their mad skillz that are responsible for the gaming equivalent of setting up replay cams and referees for your backyard touch football game.

My favorite thing when running tournaments for any game is always gonna be the random Smash players that are super cocky about their skills and are bragging about how great they are in spite of never showing up to any tournament before in their life. It is always fun to see their ego's deflate as soon as they play a single match.

But yeah, the actual worst thing with basically every competitive game isn't the actual people going to tournaments, but the people who just constantly brag about how good they are online (do those sorts of people still call themselves MLG nowadays?), because those are the ones trying to police how everyone else plays, in spite of usually being pretty bad.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Jimmy Hats posted:

items are always correct and competitive gaming is for dweebs

jimmy OUT

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
My current ranked record in MKX is 97-3 I'm probably the best player ever

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
*hasn't played ranked since before Tanya was playable*

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I own MKX and may have accidentally picked Sub-Zero once but that could have just been a bad dream I had.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I use unbreakable or w/e it's called sub zero because i'm an idiot who likes counters

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You can thank the competitive fighting scene for the last few NRS games being worth a drat.

Nah

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/noobde/status/854326798577958912

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Oh no Wonder Woman get the robot suits we have to buy time for Neo and Trinity

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's right, Ed. That is Brainiac.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I fully support Braniac Octavius since Capcom welched on their rumored Doc Ock DLC

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I choose to side with Braniac so I can eat delicious steak every day

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

Dr. Manhattan and all his moves are one shot kills. There'll be dong physics though.

Put in Dr. Manhattan and give him Orochi's exact movelist.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

The big reason each NRS game is better than the last you can basically solely place on the lap on the competitive scene.

Competitive fighting games own and yall should aspire to get good at the game and foster competitive spirit in others, then start entering tournaments!!!!!!

And I'll throw this out there now like with every new FG if anyone here who is more on the casual side wants to try their hand at getting more serious hit me up and I will gladly run you through the ropes and show you whats what.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah i mean I learned how to actually play fighting games off of Injustice and I can do it fairly well, but I'd much rather support costumes opening up stupid poo poo i.e. Captain Cold platforms over dialed-in no customization fighting that they are pushing for ranked.

I feel like ranked fighting is always the feature mode in fighting games, and when you strip out parts of your game to make it work for ranked on it's face it's kinda lame that you're pandering to a minority group.

Anyways as long as goon rooms are items-on then who even gives 1/100th of a poo poo

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Jimmy Hats posted:

Yeah i mean I learned how to actually play fighting games off of Injustice and I can do it fairly well, but I'd much rather support costumes opening up stupid poo poo i.e. Captain Cold platforms over dialed-in no customization fighting that they are pushing for ranked.

I feel like ranked fighting is always the feature mode in fighting games, and when you strip out parts of your game to make it work for ranked on it's face it's kinda lame that you're pandering to a minority group.

I don't know if I would call it a "minority group" at all, but even if it were its gonna be those players that are gonna keep life in the game long after everyone who cares about gear stuff and the bonus moves are long gone and moved on.

Game supports both styles of play quite handily so I think its quite a fair workaround. I know if I was forced to play with gear stats online I would most likely pass on the game because I aggressively do not like that stuff.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How is making a no-gear mode where the characters are designed in a somewhat balanced manner pandering to a minority group/niche audience?

Gear is meant to allow for broken poo poo and casual play without NRS needing to worry about patching the game because of it months down the road.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Competitive fighting game scene is actually fine, I just get annoyed that they insist on taking the cool aspects of fighting games and stripping them out for their stuff.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Competitive fighting game scene is actually fine, I just get annoyed that they insist on taking the cool aspects of fighting games and stripping them out for their stuff.

Its still all there if you want to use it. However the gear stuff/extra moves was never made with competitive play in mind so its only fair that us in the competitive community do not care to use it and thankfully that's an option for us.

Like don't get me wrong, i'll more than likely still gently caress around in a gear mode for funsies with whatever bs silly moves they put in for kicks every now and then but at the core I like just the characters as they were designed/balance as it stands(just like every other fg).

*ed*

I think its mostly a lesson learned from Variations from MKX, as for the most part Variations were just a failure. A grand and worthy experiment to try absolutely but with rare exception generally characters only had 1 variation worth a drat and the other two were not worth your time. Its just hard to balance that kinda stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieBBpg0SG4Q

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Ain't gonna say other parts of the FGC are squeaky clean and without fault, but comparing smash players to the rest of us is unfair and cruel :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was really happy that stage interactables were considered a crucial part of the game and kept on at tournaments in the first game, it's unfortunate that the main new mechanic this go-round won't be. Modular movesets are cool but I guess we're not yet at the point where they're considered balanced.

Firefox thinks "interactables" and "movesets" aren't words.

• Locked thread