Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I named my NG+ team BIG DOOTS and I use Trumpeter almost exclusively as the team mascot.

Debilitating Kamoshida is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

This might be the first Persona where I genuinely wish I had their powers. Changing people's hearts sounds loving baller.

Are you telling me you didn't want to crawl in TVs

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Akechi's HERO getup is the goofiest loving thing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Good and canon pairings

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

I can't quite decide how I feel about Hard, but I think my take on it is just that it doesn't forgive mistakes. If you fail to get an ambush, you're going to get punished; if you don't debuff bosses, you're going to get punished; if you can't quickly figure out the weaknesses of new enemies, you're going to get punished. You basically have to treat enemies without weaknesses like minibosses because you're not going to be able to consistently kill them before they can attack, so debuff and use status effects to make sure they either can't attack or don't own you too hard when they do.

If those things don't appeal, then yeah, definitely don't play on Hard. And if you already find the Palaces "annoying," definitely don't increase the difficulty. I'd say difficulties above Normal are only a good idea if you actively enjoy the gameplay and want to feel like you have to engage with the combat more than you already are.
Those things appeal to me when I'm standing right next to a saferoom. Otherwise, the only way it's punishing me is by wasting my time, which I'm not interested in at all. If I could play on Hard with the "retry any fight" thing from Safe, I'd be all about that.

I like the combat, but I don't like it so much that I want to be constantly repeating fights I just did. Especially when you're already encouraged to do nothing but combat for the longest stretches you can manage. And especially this early in the game, when I have so few ways of engaging with it to begin with.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Akechi's HERO getup is the goofiest greatest loving thing.

agreed, friend

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RME posted:

nocturnes difficulty is overhyped
it was the first large exposure we got to SMT that actually caught on a bit (and even then not nearly as much as persona) so people didn't know a lot of the practices of playing an SMT game like how to fuse often and debuffs etc so its gonna blindside anyone that just played like, FFX
especially since we only got the updated version, so yeah matador is probably gonna be your first strength check but on the other hand every Fiend fusion is busted as gently caress (daisoujou especially never has a reason to be replaced) and the labyrinth of amala is gonna rocket you past any main content along with providing great resources like the menu healing nue and the dungeoneering spell piasca

hard mode lucifer can go gently caress himself, but normal is pretty approachable if you have general SMT knowledge which is fairly available now

I agree, Digital Devil Saga as a pair of games are harder than Nocturne on a mechanical level, but Nocturne's just such a masterpiece of mechanics and aesthetics that its difficulty feels even more appropriate given the premise of the game. The game *should* be a grueling trial. It *should* feel like you are defying the odds and ascending to the highest echelons of power in order to attain victory. It accomplishes this in myriad ways, and I think its Hard mode was the only one a lot of SMT fans who came in of that era ever tried and/or completed, which further cemented its legendary status.

It's also true that every SMT game since then has been a good point easier than it for virtue of just having better mechanics, like allowing you to select which skills you want to transition, or not having random encounters in the case of Persona. But Nocturne's design sense is just really solid, even now. Fundamentally speaking, the Amala Labyrinth is everything you could ask for from a dungeon crawl.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

YoshiOfYellow posted:

:shepface:

I had many tears over playing it on Hard. I'm pretty sure the tutorial killed me like 7 times.

You sought the Thrill of Death, and were not found wanting :emo:.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The biggest thing that makes Nocturne difficult is that the Luck stat is busted. It doesn't do loving anything :v:

also this owns

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Those things appeal to me when I'm standing right next to a saferoom. Otherwise, the only way it's punishing me is by wasting my time, which I'm not interested in at all. If I could play on Hard with the "retry any fight" thing from Safe, I'd be all about that.

I like the combat, but I don't like it so much that I want to be constantly repeating fights I just did. Especially when you're already encouraged to do nothing but combat for the longest stretches you can manage. And especially this early in the game, when I have so few ways of engaging with it to begin with.

Which Palace are you in?

The first Palace I did all the way through on Hard was the third one. I think before then I just didn't have the resources to do that without having to spend like three days on each Palace, which (while probably the intended way to play) cuts into my anime friend hangout time and I can't allow that :colbert:. By the third Palace I had a couple of SP Adhesives and could afford to blow more SP on each fight, so I turned it up to Hard and had a pretty good time. It doesn't change random battles all that much except for how badly you get owned if you get surrounded, really, so sometimes I even forgot I was on Hard, especially in the fourth Palace. (The Anubis guys never failed to remind me, though.)

Another option: play on Normal, turn it up to Hard for bosses?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I agree, Digital Devil Saga as a pair of games are harder than Nocturne on a mechanical level, but Nocturne's just such a masterpiece of mechanics and aesthetics that its difficulty feels even more appropriate given the premise of the game. The game *should* be a grueling trial. It *should* feel like you are defying the odds and ascending to the highest echelons of power in order to attain victory. It accomplishes this in myriad ways, and I think its Hard mode was the only one a lot of SMT fans who came in of that era ever tried and/or completed, which further cemented its legendary status.

It's also true that every SMT game since then has been a good point easier than it for virtue of just having better mechanics, like allowing you to select which skills you want to transition, or not having random encounters in the case of Persona. But Nocturne's design sense is just really solid, even now. Fundamentally speaking, the Amala Labyrinth is everything you could ask for from a dungeon crawl.

Don't forget that it features Dante from the Devil May Cry series. I think that is the most important aspect of Nocturne's success as a game personally.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I should really play Nocturne, as I never have. It's a PS2 classic on PS4 right?

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Just add crimes of fashion to their list of misdeeds.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I should really play Nocturne, as I never have. It's a PS2 classic on PS4 right?

Yep.

It's a really good game, maybe the best mainline SMT game overall. And its soundtrack owns extremely hard, too. Beelzebub's theme is a real standout, I love the groovy background guitar under the organ part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb6J0-3KTnY

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 18, 2017

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

SettingSun posted:

Yes, my god, play that bad boy. Punch the gently caress out of a god.
I dunno if it's on PS2 classics, Atlus was weird about EU publishing so I can't check

Edit: Oh, it is
Edit 2: ...not. It's on PS3's PS2 Classic section only.

FauxLeather fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 18, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Digital Devil Saga is far more forgiving than Nocturne, even with the consumption mechanics. Nocturne is just unashamed about wanting you to bring your absolute A-Game and punishing you for doing anything less than your best. And it rewards those who triumph with a drat good story :black101:.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nocturne also features Lara Croft from the Uncharted franchise.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

SettingSun posted:

you definitely should, yes

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Harrow posted:

It's a really good game, maybe the best mainline SMT game overall. And its soundtrack owns extremely hard, too.

Super lukewarm take right here, but I'd say Nocturne's the best MegaTen game period with Raidou 2 King Abaddon coming in a very strong second place.

hosed up that Europe never got King Abaddon though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wait, Nocturne's on PS4? Since when? I thought it was only a PS2 classic on PS3?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Something I do on replays is put it on hard difficulty and set the AI to control my party members.

How does the AI handle the use of fire arms? If there's a enemy weak to shot, will the AI be smart and use a single shot or will they unload the whole clip?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait, Nocturne's on PS4? Since when? I thought it was only a PS2 classic on PS3?

looks like its classic is playable on PS3 only yeah
that's a shame

i still have my copy of nocturne, also only playable on PS3 so it's not like i get much further there

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChaosArgate posted:

It is only on PS3 as a classic, yes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Looking into it, the PSN listing has it for PS3 which is not a big deal for me. I still have thing hooked up since P5 has me wanting to play Ultimax.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

Which Palace are you in?

The first Palace I did all the way through on Hard was the third one. I think before then I just didn't have the resources to do that without having to spend like three days on each Palace, which (while probably the intended way to play) cuts into my anime friend hangout time and I can't allow that :colbert:. By the third Palace I had a couple of SP Adhesives and could afford to blow more SP on each fight, so I turned it up to Hard and had a pretty good time. It doesn't change random battles all that much except for how badly you get owned if you get surrounded, really, so sometimes I even forgot I was on Hard, especially in the fourth Palace. (The Anubis guys never failed to remind me, though.)
In the English version, I'm only halfway through the first Palace. I did this even though I read a bunch of people in the thread saying "Man, the first Palace seems super overtuned. I don't know how you're supposed to get through it on Hard", so really I have nobody to blame except myself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

In the English version, I'm only halfway through the first Palace. I did this even though I read a bunch of people in the thread saying "Man, the first Palace seems super overtuned. I don't know how you're supposed to get through it on Hard", so really I have nobody to blame except myself.

For me, the first Palace on Normal was harder than the fourth Palace on Hard, if that helps put it in perspective.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
But the cool kids said I can only sit at their table if I can beat all of Persona 5 on Hard with no continues!

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Quick question, just a yes or no please (feel free to add buffer in the spoiler text).

Does this game punish you for dating multiple girls like in Golden?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
aw man i can't hang with takemi in hawaii? sucks

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Tir McDohl posted:

Quick question, just a yes or no please (feel free to add buffer in the spoiler text).

Yes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tir McDohl posted:

Yes and it's hilarious

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tir McDohl posted:

They still come visit you at LeBlanc. Together. And beat the ever-loving poo poo out of you.

Harrow posted:

Yes and it's hilarious

The text message from Ryuji is a priceless punchline. Just barely reading it before slumping out cold. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 18, 2017

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I foresee a lot of reloading in my future...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tir McDohl posted:

You get a scene where you get busted and probably lose out on some faithful only scenes but there are no tangible gameplay losses or gains

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
One thing I have to say I appreciate is that you have dialogue being like 'yo I want to date you' before you get into a relationship in P5.

I still remember in previous Persona games starting a relationship by hugging a crying person which always felt a little weird.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tir McDohl posted:

I foresee a lot of reloading in my future...

batting cages

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They still come visit you at LeBlanc. Together. And beat the ever-loving poo poo out of you.

The text message from Ryuji is a priceless punchline. Just barely reading it before slumping out cold. :allears:

I still maintain that they should've given you a joke bad end if you managed to romance all of them, just because you're not likely to live with nine women beating the poo poo out of you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's the game's best instance of comedic timing, just absolutely beautiful

LuiCypher posted:

I still maintain that they should've given you a joke bad end if you managed to romance all of them, just because you're not likely to live with nine women beating the poo poo out of you.

Especially when one of them is probably the only character who can fight without her Persona and another just casually swings an axe around all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

It's the game's best instance of comedic timing, just absolutely beautiful

Especially when one of them is probably the only character who can fight without her Persona and another just casually swings an axe around all day.

My favourite part is Sojiro seeing exactly what's about to happen and getting the gently caress out of dodge before things turn violent.