Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Leavemywife posted:

I'm not sure where else to ask this question, but I've had a pin put into my wrist a few years ago. Using a regular mouse for a while makes my wrist ache. Would a trackball be a better method of using my computer? I mostly just play games and do LP stuff.

If that is a better option, which would be a good choice?

Up until the end of February I worked as a computer janitor at a call center (got laid off after they lost a contract accounting for about 20% of their workforce), I used this trackball after I started to get hints of carpal tunnel from using a mouse 8+ hours a day every week.

I found it was better from an ergonomics standpoint because it allows your wrist to lay as close to flat on the desk as possible. With a mouse you're constantly moving around which seemed to be the cause of my wrist/forearm pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Trackpads are way better than trackballs for me, but that is up to personal preference. Also they're not really good for games. what I do is have a trackpad for regular usage/work and keep a mouse for when I want to play Civ or something.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I need home lighting that fills up rooms with light without hurting my eyes if I look at it. My house is dark.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

signalnoise posted:

I need home lighting that fills up rooms with light without hurting my eyes if I look at it. My house is dark.

Not a specific product but look at ways to put light sources behind furniture.
Pull the couch out from the wall a couple inches and throw a decent strip light.
Or get lamps with adjustable heads and have them point up and somewhat towards the wall.

I used to work weird hours and this was the only way to keep my eyes from dying.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Not a specific product but look at ways to put light sources behind furniture.
Pull the couch out from the wall a couple inches and throw a decent strip light.
Or get lamps with adjustable heads and have them point up and somewhat towards the wall.

I used to work weird hours and this was the only way to keep my eyes from dying.

Might be difficult there. My home layout is a bit weird maybe. What kind of a light strip throws out enough light for that?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

signalnoise posted:

Might be difficult there. My home layout is a bit weird maybe. What kind of a light strip throws out enough light for that?

Not sure. I had to set up a hodgepodge of different sources for my old, dank apartment.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

the likelihood that anyone other than me is actually going to want a peshtemal (though due to their absorbency and small size and weight, they are great as gym and beach towels, and in general for that matter) is probably zero, but on the off chance someone is interested, and to follow up on a question I posed upthread, i wound up using The Longest Thread via Etsy and the towels are doing very well so far

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Geoj posted:

Up until the end of February I worked as a computer janitor at a call center (got laid off after they lost a contract accounting for about 20% of their workforce), I used this trackball after I started to get hints of carpal tunnel from using a mouse 8+ hours a day every week.

I found it was better from an ergonomics standpoint because it allows your wrist to lay as close to flat on the desk as possible. With a mouse you're constantly moving around which seemed to be the cause of my wrist/forearm pain.

I got the Elecom trackball you linked to after my Logitech M570 started having issues. I didn't like it as much as the Logitech, possibly since I'm just too used to my old mouse. The Elecom felt slightly different in my hand, and after years of muscle memory, it's hard to switch from the Logitech. I stuck the Elecom in a drawer after I got my warranty replacement M570. Anyway, I still have the Elecom if anyone wants it for ~$20. I can put up an SA-Mart ad to make it official. It's the right-handed wireless version.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Just wear sunglasses indoors? Or try this crazy thing called "a lampshade".

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

Just wear sunglasses indoors? Or try this crazy thing called "a lampshade".

My eyes are sensitive, sorry to ask a question about a problem you don't have, but it's cool to know that you don't think it's a problem

Next time I'll put in a bongwizzard disclaimer i guess

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If you started smoking a bong all the time, the haze would help shade your eyes from the light.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I mean you could've explained that, it's more likely to assume that you were just a simpleton with normal eyes.

Depending how much money you want to spend, there are a ton of options for LED accent lights.

If you want to go totally crazy there's a company called "American DJ" that sells prosumer grade stage/concert lighting. They will be very easy to place behind furniture and wire to a central controller so you can dim them however you want.

However, a much cheaper option is to get something like this;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E...ip+lights&psc=1

You could either attach it to your baseboard, or just a piece of wood from the hardware store. That specific kit works reasonably and will be a good, low cost way to see if LED accent lights will fix your issue.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

If you started smoking a bong all the time, the haze would help shade your eyes from the light.

I actually do keep a little single LED headlamp in my weed kit so I can see what I'm doing while watching a movie with the lights off or whatever.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

bongwizzard posted:

I actually do keep a little single LED headlamp in my weed kit so I can see what I'm doing while watching a movie with the lights off or whatever.

Doesn't it bother the other people at the cinema?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dick Trauma posted:

:noice:

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

signalnoise posted:

Dimmer switches? Or go down the home automation rabbit hole with dimmable LED smart bulbs or switches? You could try the Hue 2-bulb starter kit and see if you can find a color temp and brightness level that's comfortable for you, maybe warmer/yellower light would bother you less than colder/bluer light.

Home Automation thread

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Has anyone ever had a legit Honeybaked Ham(tm)?

Are they worth it? My regular ham source seems to be skipping easter this year.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Has anyone ever had a legit Honeybaked Ham(tm)?

Are they worth it? My regular ham source seems to be skipping easter this year.

They are just hams

No

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any good posture correctors out there? Amazon reviews seem polarized on all the products. This looks decent for relieving my bad posture. What do you guys think?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

buglord posted:

Are there any good posture correctors out there? Amazon reviews seem polarized on all the products. This looks decent for relieving my bad posture. What do you guys think?

If you're healthy enough exercise would be a much better option.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Beachcomber posted:

My regular ham source seems to be skipping easter this year.
Is Easter ham a thing?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

That's funny.

I try to be responsible and unobtrusive with my dogs were OK, I will leave it to several lapses of judgment for the hash oil pens first hit the scene. They're just so convenient, it's hard not to go crazy at first.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Just start a new personal/family tradition like an Easter goose, Easter venison, or Easter rabbit if feeling morbid. Ham is a bad food and doesn't deserve the special status it has

(But to be clear, other parts and cooking methods like bacon or pulled pork can be amazing)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
A good ham is far better than bacon, I don't know what you're talking about.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Honeybaked Ham is good. Don't know if it's better than other ham as I don't know of anywhere else that sells precooked, ready to eat whole ham but if you want delicious ham that doesn't require spending a day baking and glazing a ham, it's hard to beat Honeybaked. Their boneless turkey breast is good too. They send us coupons a couple times a year, you may be able to find one online.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lawen posted:

Honeybaked Ham is good. Don't know if it's better than other ham as I don't know of anywhere else that sells precooked, ready to eat whole ham but if you want delicious ham that doesn't require spending a day baking and glazing a ham, it's hard to beat Honeybaked. Their boneless turkey breast is good too. They send us coupons a couple times a year, you may be able to find one online.

Word. I haven't had one in a while but I can still taste the door honey glaze.
Really good for sandwiches too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I worked at a Honeybaked Ham for like a week. I saw how they do everything. The fact of the matter is that the ham itself is just any old ham, and everything special about it is the glaze. They apply it with a blowtorch. Whether or not you think the glaze is worth 40 bucks is up to you, but personally I think it's ridiculous.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tiggum posted:

Is Easter ham a thing?

It may be a German/Pennsylvania/Pennsylvania-German thing, but back home the meat department of stores fills up with hams just like they do with turkeys at Thanksgiving.

signalnoise posted:

I worked at a Honeybaked Ham for like a week. I saw how they do everything. The fact of the matter is that the ham itself is just any old ham, and everything special about it is the glaze. They apply it with a blowtorch. Whether or not you think the glaze is worth 40 bucks is up to you, but personally I think it's ridiculous.

Can you just show up at a store and buy one, or do you need a reservation?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Can you just show up at a store and buy one, or do you need a reservation?

The store I worked at always had hams ready to go. They basically have a factory in the back that is like a 15'x15' room with 10 people in it using industrial equipment and hoping they don't accidentally kill themselves before they go home and intentionally kill themselves

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm looking for a decent king mattress topper. My wife and I bought a new mattress late last fall and due to a couple moves due to selling our house, moving to an apartment temporarily and moving again to our new house things never worked out and we missed the return period.

We're both side sleepers and it's evidently killing my wife's back and mine is hit and miss. It was supposed to be the softer of the two the company sells, but it's still very firm. So I'd like to try and salvage it but there is a huge range in cost and we don't want to add anymore height than we have to.

Any suggestions? I've looked at Amazon and would like to go with something from them, but I swear most of the reviews I read sounds like a shill.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mammal Sauce posted:

I'm looking for a decent king mattress topper. My wife and I bought a new mattress late last fall and due to a couple moves due to selling our house, moving to an apartment temporarily and moving again to our new house things never worked out and we missed the return period.

We're both side sleepers and it's evidently killing my wife's back and mine is hit and miss. It was supposed to be the softer of the two the company sells, but it's still very firm. So I'd like to try and salvage it but there is a huge range in cost and we don't want to add anymore height than we have to.

Any suggestions? I've looked at Amazon and would like to go with something from them, but I swear most of the reviews I read sounds like a shill.

If temperature is important to you, I'd look for something in a natural latex.

I don't know what your budget is, but you could always try a Leesa mattress, which is supposed to be good for side sleepers, for less than $1000. I don't know that a mattress topper is going to be enough to appreciably change your sleep problems. They have a 100 day return period if it doesn't work out. Good luck!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

A while back I asked for thoughts on an ice cream maker and a toaster, and took the thread's advice on both. I even got the recommended toaster oven, even though I've been greatly underwhelmed by toaster ovens in the past.

Gotta say, I'm very pleased with both purchases. Top-notch recommendations, thread.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Looking for a decent car stereo for a used truck I just bought.

I didn't really do much research for the last one I got and it sucks. It's a cheap JVC unit, and it frequently loses Bluetooth connection, the controls on the unit are terrible (it has no play/pause buttons...WTF? How does that happen, and how did I not notice when I was buying it?)

I don't want/need a touchscreen or any sort of Android/Apple Car crap. Touchscreens on car audio seem like Bad News Bears to me.

I just need something that has reliable Bluetooth, decent controls (so the standard play, pause, next/prev. track that will work with my music/podcast app over Bluetooth) and, possibly most important of all, doesn't look like dogshit.

Seriously, it's like car stereo manufacturers just got to the mid 2000's "blue LEDs and X-TREME EVERYTHING" aesthetic and said, "gently caress it, this is peak design, nothing will get better than this."

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

DrBouvenstein posted:

I didn't really do much research for the last one I got and it sucks. It's a cheap JVC unit, and it frequently loses Bluetooth connection, the controls on the unit are terrible (it has no play/pause buttons...WTF? How does that happen, and how did I not notice when I was buying it?)

Try the Menu button. It works as Play/Pause on my JVC Headunit. I discovered this by accident one day.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Really happy with IRS free fillable forms, no-nonsense free tax forms that have some autocalculation and built in e-file. I have one thing that makes my taxes require the expensive category on the commercial tax apps, but it is free with this stuff. It wasn't too hard since I was able to follow my tax form from previous years as an example.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Crossposting from cookware thread:

The Midniter posted:

Classic Thermapens are on sale for only $59 right now, brand new. This is by far the cheapest I've ever seen them for a non-refurb item, and it's available in six colors, unlike a lot of their sales that are limited to a single color. If you don't have one, jump on this!

If you like to cook (or know someone who does), buy one of these.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
My thermapen is by far the most useful thing in my kitchen, can't recommend them enough

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

1redflag posted:

Crossposting from cookware thread:

If you like to cook (or know someone who does), buy one of these.

Thanks! I've always wanted one of these. I've been using the Thermopop which is also good.

Jmcrofts posted:

My thermapen is by far the most useful thing in my kitchen, can't recommend them enough

More than the range, oven, microwave, AND fridge? :colbert:

Also spatulas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Is there a big difference between the classic and the mk4? Been watching for a deal on these for awhile and if there isn't a notable difference I'll bite on this.