Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Timeless Appeal posted:

The more subtle nuance is that we get Betty without her ponytail for one of the first times in the next scene, which makes sense. But i think it was a nice touch that speaks to how Jug doesn't realize that Betty is as hosed up as he is. Her super-tight ponytail is the same as his dumb hat.
It's just honestly weird that they didn't flip Chuck and Reggie's roles on the show. Reggie is honestly much more of a scumbag in the current comics than on the show.

Didn't catch the ponytail thing but it makes perfect sense.

And honestly, Reggie is was too underused. He's supposed to be a core character. One of the 5 with Archie, Jughead, Betty and Veronica. In the show he's at best a cameo. Did he even speak during the party?

That being said, I see why they made it Chuck. He's not redeemable at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
It's because the actor playing Reggie had other commitments.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/dylansprouse/status/852868430483132416

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What comics are closest in tone to Riverdale? Would be curious to check out those, though I'm not down for any of the surreal zombies stuff.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
None of them, really. There's a Riverdale tie-in comic which presumably has the same tone, but even I don't bother with tie-in comics, so I can't vouch for their quality.

Any title in the Archie reboot is much more lighthearted than Riverdale; the main Archie title, for instance, is a fun romcom rather than a CW dramafest. Honestly, the closest you can get is the zombie stuff--no surprise as it's being written by the showrunner of Riverdale. For what it's worth, it's super good, but it does lean heavily into the supernatural so if that's really not your thing then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

I guess if you expand the scope to non-Archie comics, then there's Ed Brubaker's Criminal anthology--specifically volume 6: The Last of the Innocent, whose cast is very clearly intended to be the Archie characters; it's framed as a murder mystery and also talks about how things were much darker than they appeared on the surface.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Actually, the protagonist/best character on the show is Skeet Ulrich.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Archie's mum magically reappears and all I can think is 'This is going to be just like Veronica Mars' mum!'

I am surprisingly really enjoying the show

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

cant cook creole bream posted:

Geez Archie. It's less than a week ago that your girlfriend broke up with you because you were dating another woman. Settle down a bit.

He's Archie. Dating every girl is what he does.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

a new study bible! posted:

Actually, the protagonist/best character on the show is Skeet Ulrich.

Every character on this show is the best character on this show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Every character on this show is the best character on this show.

Except Archie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He's the best at being 2-dimensional!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I like Archie, he's an awkward clueless boy

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I can't believe that secrets came out on a CW show and a relationship was strengthened by it, not destroyed.

Jughead and Betty are both broken people and now they know it and it works for them.

Nobody stormed out with a "why didn't you tell me I can never trust you" speech.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's like the writers knew they'd be getting enough poo poo for making Jughead get with a girl so they had to make up for it by actually giving them a functional, healthy relationship.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just hope he moves onto Ethel soon. Jughead is the worst part of this show for me.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

I can't believe that secrets came out on a CW show and a relationship was strengthened by it, not destroyed.

Jughead and Betty are both broken people and now they know it and it works for them.

Nobody stormed out with a "why didn't you tell me I can never trust you" speech.

One thing I really like about this show is that even though it obviously takes place in a campy, over-the-top reality the characters' actions and especially their reactions are often unusually restrained for a teen soap.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

esperterra posted:

I just hope he moves onto Ethel soon. Jughead is the worst part of this show for me.

You are the absolute worst.

You are the Archie of this thread

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lord Krangdar posted:

One thing I really like about this show is that even though it obviously takes place in a campy, over-the-top reality the characters' actions and especially their reactions are often unusually restrained for a teen soap.

I think it's just that they're consistent. Unlike the other CW comic book shows like Flash and Arrow, where how smart, secretive, emotional, or murderous anyone is at any given moment are all functions of the plot rather than their characters.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

esperterra posted:

how could you get this so wrong!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The only legitimate reason why anyone should hate Jughead is if he reminds them of their teenage pretentious self who used to speak that highly of Tarantino movies.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
If you liked Veronica Mars, you should like Jughead.

Edit: I think liking Veronica Mars may be a prerequisite for liking Riverdale, to be quite honest.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

esperterra posted:

Nah, Shannon Purser is surely a very nice person but assuredly a Bad Actor and would not have been cast as Ethel if #savebarb or whatever wasn't a meme last fall. If she stays she should help Moose explore his bisexuality or something that doesn't make her a focus point.

I've become a big fan of Betty and Jughead, expesially after they just dealt with a minor crisis in their relationship via communication instead of breaking up. I think it's been bolstered because they have chemistry and very good plot reasons to get together (especially since Alice used to be a poor like FP!) But, at the same time, they don't have the best chemistry and I would also be pleased with some sort of plot based on how limited Jughead makes his options (since he's probably not asexual at this point).

Edit: On any Veronica Mars/Riverdale comparisons, lol if you think season 2 will have a bus crash, like put a lampshade on your theories at least

edit edit: Coach Clayton raped Dilton

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 18, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Mameluke posted:

Edit: On any Veronica Mars/Riverdale comparisons, lol if you think season 2 will have a bus crash, like put a lampshade on your theories at least

edit edit: Coach Clayton raped Dilton

I hated how at the end of season 2 of Veronica Mars Beaver suddenly morphed into some weird comic book villain but I feel like that would work perfectly in Riverdale.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
uhh why would moose explore his bisexuality with ethel there is midge to be introduced in season 2

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aleph Null posted:

If you liked Veronica Mars, you should like Jughead.

Edit: I think liking Veronica Mars may be a prerequisite for liking Riverdale, to be quite honest.

Veronica Mars is one of my top 5 shows, but that doesn't mean I have to like the way Jughead is portrayed on the show. Just because he narrates the show and has snark doesn't make him as well written or have the depth of a character like Veronica.

Now, for what it's worth I think Cole Sprouse is doing a fine job, and he makes what he's given work well enough. I just find Jughead to be a tired character type, personally, one that grates on me when writers don't do something new or interesting with it. This may well happen in the future, but for now he's my least favourite character.

My biggest issue with him isn't even all of that, though. Were this the same show with different character names he would just be the token angsty/serious outcast member of a teen show's cast. But for an Archie show he sticks out as the character with the least resemblence to what I think of as his comic counterpart. Everybody else has reminded me of their comic selves in great ways, while still doing a fun twist on the character. Cole Sprouse is just playing a guy in Jughead's clothes. Even something as simple as having him eating in half of his scenes would improve it for me.

It's not personal, it's drag just like, my opiniom man.

e: oh and fwiw to compare the show to vmars as a whole is very fair/valid imo. there's also strong hints of gossip girl and twin peaks that tickle my fancy.

jughead is dan humphrey, gross

esperterra fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 18, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The thing about Jughead, as the most recent episode shows, he knows he's playing up to a trope and he embraces it because he doesn't know who he is without that. Same with Betty as "girl next door" which we now know she hates being called even though that's exactly the person she tries to be.
I hope they get growth and climb out of there stereotypes a bit more. Betty already has a few times with "Dark Betty".

So, so glad the most recent episode mentioned twincest since the relationship is always portrayed as creepily close. It's like the writers know exactly what they are doing even when troping it up. I'll give them a chance to make Jughead something other than moody loner.
The show started with Archie sleeping with a teacher, so who knows what they might do.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, that is the neat thing with the core 4. Betty and Jughead are playing the "achetypes" they kinda are in the comic, while Archie has been made into an idiot for his archetype to fit exist in the world, and Veronica is purposely trying to get past her origin to become the super best friend type.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I agree they're self aware in a good way about the archetypes portrayed, in general really. It's the strongest link to Twin Peaks for me, beyond the obvious ones that Veronica Mars also used. The show plays with the teen drama/CW formula, amps it up and then twists it in ways, like TP with soaps.

These past three episodes have been very strong for me, and I'm decently confident they will begin doing more interesting things now that the groundwork is laid and the main players developed somewhat.

I'm not sure they will ever make Jughead feel like Jughead to me, they would have to lighten him up a lot more for my taste to make it fit right-- and that could happen and work if they take their time with it. Though if they just play with the angsty/outcast archetype and move him forward in refreshing ways, make me care for him more I'll be glad whether he feels like Jug to me or not. But it's an ensemble show and there's bound to be one or two characters who rub someone the wrong way. Certainly doesn't ruin or bring down the show for me.

There's a lot of potential bubbling under the surface in Riverdale atm and I'm excited to see which direction everything goes in.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

How has the show gone this long without jughead eating a single burger dammit

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

someone awful. posted:

Forever this.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Cake is a burger, technically counts.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

No true burger would leave jughead looking so upset. That burger is a deceiver

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

We didn't see him eat any tho, did we?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Iirc he's eating the remnants of it the morning after the party, while Archie is doing housecleaning.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

someone awful. posted:

Pretty sure he was sitting in the diner eating a burger in a flashback

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

someone awful. posted:

I honestly thought his heart to heart with Betty would be the moment since the beanie was off.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

someone awful. posted:

I suspect Jughead not visibly eating burgers is one of those things that's going to be a "reward" for the viewers at the end of the season, like how Cap doesn't ever say "Avengers Assemble" in the MCU but probably will in Avengers 4. So what we're gonna get at the end of the season is the camera cutting to black just before Jughead sinks his teeth into a burger, or something.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Argue posted:

So what we're gonna get at the end of the season is the camera cutting to black just before Jughead sinks his teeth into a burger, or something.

But the twist is the burger is Jason meat.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

But the twist is the burger is Jason meat.
On this show, this could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Archie is the most relatable character on the show.

I like the way they turned the "Archie dates everyone because he's indecisive!" concept from the comic version into a "Archie dates everyone because he's just really loving confused about where his life is going and he's just grasping for anything that gives him a sense of direction."

Once he's out of romantic prospects, he's gonna lose his poo poo and bring a gun to school.

• Locked thread