Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wish Othello had some sort of progression system besides "pick whatever level you want."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If I plug a pro control into a dock that doesn't have a system in it, does it still charge?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Also since we're vaguely talking about kart racers, anyone ever play Lego Racing? I liked the powerup system in that, even though it was super basic. Iirc there were like three items, green bricks for boost, red for weapons, yellow for traps, but you could also get white bricks to power them up, up to 4?

I think I mostly liked it because max power boost was a wormhole that teleported you really far ahead on the track, which was really cool to me as a kid

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Burnout 3 is the best game ever. Paradise is ok but only because I don't want to emulate 3 on my PC. It's more about finding shortcuts and stuff and the tracks don't feel as nicely designed as 3. There are turns on some of those courses I still remember because of how good it felt to finally get a perfect line on using boost the whole time and doing perfect drifts and poo poo.

Also crash mode.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Stan Taylor posted:

Burnout 3 is the best game ever. Paradise is ok but only because I don't want to emulate 3 on my PC. It's more about finding shortcuts and stuff and the tracks don't feel as nicely designed as 3. There are turns on some of those courses I still remember because of how good it felt to finally get a perfect line on using boost the whole time and doing perfect drifts and poo poo.

Also crash mode.

Yeah I need a new non-open world burnout like yesterday. Crashing into traffic to cause the biggest explosions is one heck of a party game

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

My god this helped me like the game more.

Yeah I had fun and got a decent amount of stuff from these.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Spacebump posted:

If I plug a pro control into a dock that doesn't have a system in it, does it still charge?

Yes. Since you're plugging the controller directly into the powered hub inside the dock, the system isn't needed as a go-between for charging.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Xad posted:

Also since we're vaguely talking about kart racers, anyone ever play Lego Racing? I liked the powerup system in that, even though it was super basic. Iirc there were like three items, green bricks for boost, red for weapons, yellow for traps, but you could also get white bricks to power them up, up to 4?

I think I mostly liked it because max power boost was a wormhole that teleported you really far ahead on the track, which was really cool to me as a kid

Loved that game. There was also blue for shield but red and green was where it was at.

More kart racers could use grappling hook items

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ask for a refund and play a better game.

spicy, but true

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Actually It's doing okay

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Now that Capcom can see that the Switch is successful, I hope they port that Disney collection over. Rescue Rangers coop on table top mode would be ace.

Also give us the Mega Man collection too. I want all the good old games on Switch.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SeANMcBAY posted:

Now that Capcom can see that the Switch is successful, I hope they port that Disney collection over. Rescue Rangers coop on table top mode would be ace.

Also give us the Mega Man collection too. I want all the good old games on Switch.

:same:

ALL of them. :colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If mega man collection forces rearranged buttons I will not buy it.

If it doesn't I will probably buy it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Bloop posted:

If mega man collection forces rearranged buttons I will not buy it.

If it doesn't I will probably buy it.

That gamecube collection reversing the buttons with no way to change it is still the most baffling loving thing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

it shriveled up posted:

So, I'm a dragon in Wonderboy. The pig at the church told me to find an antidote. I'm assuming that the nurse that sells the cure is what he is talking about, but I can't buy the drat thing. What do I do?

Push X to bring up the on-screen keyboard and type in your fursona

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is coming next week already with new modes and characters, but how does it differ graphically from the Wii U version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=182R3oi4DP0

Besides the resolution bump, not much really.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Since I wasn't going to buy a Wii U it'll be new to me. Lot of people are in the same boat.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rexroom posted:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is coming next week already with new modes and characters, but how does it differ graphically from the Wii U version?

Mario Kart 8 was upscaled on the Wii U?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Rexroom posted:

The Wii U version looked insanely nice, especially in motion, so I'm okay with this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Mario Kart 8 was upscaled on the Wii U?

I don't think so. It was also, weirdly, 59fps but Deluxe is 60.

You can't really tell from that video because of YouTube compression but it should look noticeably nicer on a TV at 1080p and it already looked really good.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Here's a video on the autopilot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD9WsKOjFSA
Overall, I am fine with it, the larger problem with online is when two people are on the same console, and one just sits in 2nd place so you can't win.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tnega posted:

Overall, I am fine with it, the larger problem with online is when two people are on the same console, and one just sits in 2nd place so you can't win.

What do you mean? I don't think I've seen that.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Tnega posted:

He straight up says smart steering is not allowed when playing online.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
That's a real good idea because it'll only be useful for people who don't know how to play at all and for those people it'd be nice not to constantly be turned around and falling off the track

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Smart steering is gonna be great for children and my drunk friends

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tnega posted:

My Niece always wants to play games with me, but she's terrible.

So she'll be playing the bumper-bowling of Mario Karts until she gitsgud

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Infinitum posted:

My Niece always wants to play games with me, but she's terrible.

So she'll be playing the bumper-bowling of Mario Karts until she gitsgud

There's an "easy" mode? That makes me a ton more likely to buy it. My niece kicks rear end at video games ((it's weird when the 9 year old has more trophies in fallout 4 than you do)), but my nephew is 4 and I don't want him to feel bad. :gonk:

They're both crazy excited for me to visit with the new switch, though, and now I know what to buy beforehand. How much has MK changed since the N64 version, as a thought? I missed most of the MK games (didn't own the console/didn't buy them), but they seem like a good bet for aunt/kid bonding time.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 18, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dr Cheeto posted:

Smart steering is gonna be great for children and my drunk friends

It breaks the Mario Kart drinking game my friends and I play. You have to finish your beer during the race, you have to come to a full stop before you drink because drinking and driving is bad. Highly recommend.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't think so. It was also, weirdly, 59fps but Deluxe is 60.

You can't really tell from that video because of YouTube compression but it should look noticeably nicer on a TV at 1080p and it already looked really good.

Look at the zoomed in portions of the video and the Switch version, especially at the beginning of the video where you can make out the signs in the far distance on the Switch but not on the Wii U. If the Switch version is running 1080p, then the Wii U version definitely wasn't:

Wii U:

Switch:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I forgot about all those amazing signs. We need Birdo and Diddy in and the game is perfect.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ventana posted:

I know maybe I have outlier taste in handling when it comes to normal racing games, but I enjoyed Most Wanted fair enough. It wasn't quite as tight as Paradise maybe, but adjustable enough that I didn't mind it after a while.

I understand if that's an appeal to some people. Personally, I'd prefer slightly less being dicked over with nothing to do about it in my racing games.

Forza for the xbox one may be a better choice then

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

bef posted:

Forza for the xbox one may be a better choice then

Forza Horizon 3 is the best racer since Burnout 3 imo. It's on computer so you don't need to get an Xbox even. It rules.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spellman posted:

It's very easy to beat the computers and rank in at 3 stars in Mario Kart. If you're good at the game, you will perform well online consistently, blue shells and all.

If anything, the least balanced environment for playing it is couch multiplayer, where if people aren't acclimated with it, the person who owns the console usually destroys everyone else

:ssh:

E: ^^ the one on 360 was awesome and if it was available for Windows 7 I'd buy in a heartbeat

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Has anybody done a load time comparison on MK8 for Wii U vs Switch?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

I forgot about all those amazing signs. We need Birdo and Diddy in and the game is perfect.

Remake Diddy Kong Racing, but it's Mario Kart Racing and it's the sequel to Mario Kart 8 and it has a Smash Bros level of selectable character roster.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Astro7x posted:

:goonsay:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Infinitum posted:

Astro7x posted:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Astro7x posted:

Yes, seems a bit faster: http://nintendoeverything.com/more-mario-kart-8-deluxe-footage-pink-boost-and-faster-loading-times/

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Lemming posted:

That's a real good idea because it'll only be useful for people who don't know how to play at all and for those people it'd be nice not to constantly be turned around and falling off the track

My husband is bad at video games and I am stoked to play something with him :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
The pro controller is better because it's bigger and can hold more bluetooth in it.

• Locked thread