Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Joke's on them, I already have all of that that I'd want.

I'm sure they'll have a different excuse to suck more money from me after the new episode on the weekend ._,

They ran that sale already; the new companion introduction sale.

But yeah, for the Tennant sale, the only thing I didn't own was Dalek Empire 3. So I bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

They ran that sale already; the new companion introduction sale.

Yeah, I bought a few stories from that one. On top of all the Fifth Doctor ones I'd already bought that weekend, and all the Lost Story ones I'd grabbed the weekend before.

What I meant was that last series they had a different sale each weekend themed on each new episode after it aired, right? So last weekend we had the "new companions" one, then this weekend we'll have a "cutesy but evil" robots one or something themed after the emoji bots where they'll sell The Cannibalists or something for a little cheaper.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
'Smile' is putting me in mind of 'Wish You Were Here', a short story by Guy Clapperton from the Short Trips anthology.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I think in terms of what they look and sound like, the visual horror aspect, they were pretty similar, but that it was a completely different thing. I wasn't super impressed with the puddle monster, although I liked the idea of it acquiring a pilot and seeking a passenger as a metaphor for an overwhelming crush. The "your reflection isn't reversed" thing was fine. Overall, I think the writing was kind of middle-of-the-road for a Moffat opener, now that I think about it, and that it the sets, costumes and Pearl Mackie's performance are what made it a good episode.

So why did the puddle monster scream and rush at her then? Hey, I can travel across all space and time, and track people too, but I'm just no good as asking them to go with me? Or just bad writing, or some rule all monsters have to roar?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

He's asking the other way around - what new series characters/monsters will be one day revised as "Classic"

Going back a few pages but the answer to this is and will always 100% be the Weeping Angels.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PowerBuilder3 posted:

So why did the puddle monster scream and rush at her then? Hey, I can travel across all space and time, and track people too, but I'm just no good as asking them to go with me? Or just bad writing, or some rule all monsters have to roar?

When you go to ghost-like monster school, the first thing they teach you is to make an echoing scream while doing that jagged, stop-motion thing where you're suddenly right next to the person you're chasing. It's in the "sort of like a dead human somehow" handbook.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Going back a few pages but the answer to this is and will always 100% be the Weeping Angels Adipose

Ftfy

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

AndyElusive posted:

Going back a few pages but the answer to this is and will always 100% be the Weeping Angels Adipose Nimon's Cousin with All the Sweet Hookups.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

echoplex posted:

The S9 opener was similarly painful - we were pulling in Daleks from every corner of the country, from other BBC studios, exhibits, private owners etc. There was a dedicated budget line for Dalek transport. I got a few friends' replica Daleks shipped over but sadly none were used. DW has motion picture problems on TV deadlines.

I don't think anyone noticed but there actually a few miniature / model shots in that episode that used repainted/re-detailed off-the-shelf radio control Dalek toys. Of course these were out of production at the time of the episode so our poor buyers were urgently phoning up people selling them on ebay, saying "Yes, please send them to Doctor Who, BBC Wales...".

There is no part of that sentence that doesn't own.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PowerBuilder3 posted:

it was just trying to say hello :(

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Five quid says the election fucks with Who scheduling.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Fil5000 posted:

Five quid says the election fucks with Who scheduling.

I'll be honest with you, if that is the only thing this election fucks then I will count us loving lucky.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chokes McGee posted:

it was just trying to say hello :(

Could be this, actually. Puddle TARDIS was more 'alien' than most scifi aliens. Something with an inhuman conception of time, space, matter, and social organization. It just barely understands that humans communicate by vibrating our meat at each other. It started off trying to mimic/reflect what Bill said, which is a pretty good strategy for setting up communication, but Bill kept running away. It doesn't understand why Bill is running away, or even that she is trying to escape it, as far as it knows she's just rudely walking off in the middle of a conversation for no apparent reason.

Once they made physical contact higher bandwidth communication became possible, and the offer and rejection were able to be imperfectly communicated.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

echoplex posted:

I did a 1-on-1 photoshoot with PC for the image of him appearing in the mirror on that photo, and I have to say, I've never worked with an actor who was as helpful/giving on a photocall, let alone one for a graphic (as opposed to a press/promo deal)

I'll miss him ever so much.

Is that going to go anywhere? Bill noticed the Doctor in the mirror but never brought it up. Deleted scene maybe?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Last week, I flew from Heathrow to Baltimore to stay with a good friend for the week (am still here in fact). I like her a lot, but after my experience crossing 'time and space' I greeted her in the airport with a howling scream whilst rushing at her.

So maybe puddle-girl was just reacting from a combo of jetlag and dealing with the TSA of the space-time continuum. She has my sympathies if so.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I finally got around to watching this episode and thought it was fantastic. Probably the strongest opening episode since Eleventh Hour. It's a shame this will be Capaldi's last season, but at least this episode is giving me hope that he'll be going out on a high note. The man deserves better material than what he's gotten the last two seasons.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you not seen the Danger Mouse remake? Because you should really watch the Danger Mouse remake because it's fantastic :allears:.

Doctor Who is about the only show I'm able to make time for... Maybe when Big Finish gets the Danger Mouse licence?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I did appreciate the use of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart.

I liked this episode, which may become one of my favorite season openers. I got a little verklept at seeing River and Susan (mainly Susan) on the Doctor's desk, I enjoyed Bill and Bill's dynamic with the Doctor, and even Matt Lucas added more than he took away (one of my fears).

Only real complaint? Random Dalek appearance. Daleks should be the centerpiece of an episode and not used as a Dalek Ex Machina.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

Is that going to go anywhere? Bill noticed the Doctor in the mirror but never brought it up. Deleted scene maybe?

I think it was just supposed to indicate to us, the audience, definitively, that the Doctor is the reason the photographs of her mom resurfaced, and let us know that Bill is starting to suspect there's something going on with her "tutor." It also sort of helps to establish that the Doctor is developing a soft spot for Bill, which works towards the episode's ending.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

CobiWann posted:

Only real complaint? Random Dalek appearance. Daleks should be the centerpiece of an episode and not used as a Dalek Ex Machina.

I kinda liked their use here, the Doctor treating them as less an actual enemy and more just a force of nature. This water-thing is persistent and they probably need to kill it, and there's some people who are VERY good at that and will do so without question.

Then, of course, it actually survived. I get the feeling that he was treating it like an experiment to judge just what they're dealing with; if it could survive the Daleks, it can survive anything they can throw at it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like the Daleks being sort of parallel to the issue at hand, particularly as a way to introduce them to a new companion. "The only way to test this properly is to put it up against the most destructive force in the galaxy" is definitely telling rather than showing, but let's just be honest: the Daleks have been that for a reaaaaaalllly long time.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
What other iconic villain would you put in the Daleks' spot? The Cybermen? The Sontarans? Comedic third answer?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Brick with face.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Michael Grade

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Kroton Voord team-up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I dug the use of the Daleks and I hope it's their only appearance this season, as I think a full on Dalek episode shouldn't just be something we expect every single season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

I dug the use of the Daleks and I hope it's their only appearance this season, as I think a full on Dalek episode shouldn't just be something we expect every single season.

I'm fairly certain that I read that part of the contract to keep using the Daleks in the revival required a full Dalek episode per season?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

I'm fairly certain that I read that part of the contract to keep using the Daleks in the revival required a full Dalek episode per season?

Series 6 had no Dalek episode. A Dalek showed up in The Wedding of River Song, but it was on screen for about 30 seconds.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And Waters of Mars a few years before that, and that special "Introducing Bill" clip just last year.

Basically there has to be a Dalek appearance every year, or the show has to pay through the nose to get them back ever again.

That's not the official story, btw. They're always denied it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nick Briggs offered to share the load on Dalek stories per year but based on Big Finish's output it would be 2076 before we saw our next televised story.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Did anyone else get the feeling that the bigger on the inside boxes explanation was a nice joke version of the Fourth Doctors boxes explanation?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Did anyone else get the feeling that the bigger on the inside boxes explanation was a nice joke version of the Fourth Doctors boxes explanation?

That's exactly the scene I thought of too :)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Finally got around to watching the premiere online. Good episode. I enjoyed it. I'm onboard for one last ride with Capaldi's crazy rock and roll magician.

I'm disappointed that the rest of Dalek scene from Pearl Mackie's character reveal video didn't make it into the episode. I know it would have dragged the scene both too long and away from the focus on the real threat, but there was some goddamn great lines in it that I'm sad we lost in the actual episode.

I kinda choked up a bit at the end when the Doctor's waffling on wiping Bill's mind and Clara's theme kicked in. I really hope Jenna Coleman comes back for Capaldi's regeneration scene like Karen Gillan did for Matt Smith's. I just wanna see Clara and Twelve insult one another one last time before the end :(

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Sonic screwdriver is now in the OED. Which is a bit weird, it's not like "sonic" and "screwdriver" aren't already perfectly good dictionary words already, it doesn't feel necessary. But still kinda cool.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

nine-gear crow posted:

Finally got around to watching the premiere online. Good episode. I enjoyed it. I'm onboard for one last ride with Capaldi's crazy rock and roll magician.

I'm disappointed that the rest of Dalek scene from Pearl Mackie's character reveal video didn't make it into the episode. I know it would have dragged the scene both too long and away from the focus on the real threat, but there was some goddamn great lines in it that I'm sad we lost in the actual episode.

I kinda choked up a bit at the end when the Doctor's waffling on wiping Bill's mind and Clara's theme kicked in. I really hope Jenna Coleman comes back for Capaldi's regeneration scene like Karen Gillan did for Matt Smith's. I just wanna see Clara and Twelve insult one another one last time before the end :(

They don't have to bring back Jenna Coleman, a plank of wood would be an adequate stand-in.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Senor Tron posted:

If you think about it, the explanation makes perfect sense.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm pretty sure the full scene was in the first few draughts of the script. The final edit cut a lot of stuff, from memory, which has made it a very lean and well-paced episode.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

echoplex posted:

I'm pretty sure the full scene was in the first few draughts of the script. The final edit cut a lot of stuff, from memory, which has made it a very lean and well-paced episode.

I'll say. Everything felt like it had enough time to breathe. I hope we get a few more like that this series.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Paul.Power posted:

Sonic screwdriver is now in the OED. Which is a bit weird, it's not like "sonic" and "screwdriver" aren't already perfectly good dictionary words already, it doesn't feel necessary. But still kinda cool.

For the OED to add it means only that the term gets used enough that the lexicographers think that someone could plausibly look it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sad King Billy posted:

They don't have to bring back Jenna Coleman, a plank of wood would be an adequate stand-in.

Man, I get the writing was a little all over the place for her at times, but this is just flat out wrong.

• Locked thread