Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

I highly recommend watching Rebels Recon after every episode. It's a really fun show, with hilarious Chopper skits, interesting behind the scenes talk with the crew, and a little Q&A with Pablo Hidalgo. I watch Rebels when it goes online late Friday/early Saturday and then spend all day looking forward to the associated Rebels Recon going online after the episode airs on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Minnesota Manatee posted:

I highly recommend watching Rebels Recon after every episode. It's a really fun show, with hilarious Chopper skits, interesting behind the scenes talk with the crew, and a little Q&A with Pablo Hidalgo. I watch Rebels when it goes online late Friday/early Saturday and then spend all day looking forward to the associated Rebels Recon going online after the episode airs on TV.

Andi Gutierrez is really cool and she's a good follow on Twitter.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Andi Gutierrez is super charming.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh wow, he is too :stare:. Even gets a speaking line by the sound of it, which I'm sure is filled with profanity.

As others have brought up, it's well worth it to watch Rebel Recon. The guys from that show actually got to drive Chopper for that scene since they were already familiar with how to do it from the skits on the show. If they're to be believed, and there's no reason not to, the crew just tossed the remote over to them and let them do it so they could take a break and it was their eventual take that ended up in the movie.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

cptn_dr posted:

She turned up on Xavier Woods's Up Up Down Down YouTube channel last week too, which was lovely to watch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still wish this show had an actual budget like Clone Wars did. Starfighter combat in particular looks like they're flying through molasses.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still wish this show had an actual budget like Clone Wars did. Starfighter combat in particular looks like they're flying through molasses.

Space is thick, man. It's full of the Cosmic Force and that creates a lot of drag.

cptn_dr posted:

I love Andi Gutierrez and I'm ok with admitting that here in the Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Star Wars Rebels Season 3: Every Rogue has its Thrawn thread.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 18, 2017

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think it more to fit the style of Episode IV's space combat, which was a little slow at the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

IronSaber posted:

I think it more to fit the style of Episode IV's space combat, which was a little slow at the time.

That's not really true at all. ANH redefined speed and spaceships in film history. There was a huge emphasis on how fast the fighters were traveling, especially in the cockpit pov shots.
I haven't seen one space battle in Rebels that matches even the first season of the clone wars. This show has its moments but space combat us not one of them

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

The starship speed is 100% an aesthetic choice, same as the skinny saber blades. I think they're specifically aping the feel of Falcon vs. TIEs battle from late in episode IV. I agree it's tough to get used to after the speedy feel of Clone Wars.

There are plenty of things that Rebels' budget gets in the way of (hello crowd scenes), but I'm convinced it's absolutely not a factor in the speed of the space battles. In fact, I think space battles are one of the most budget-friendly parts of the show, and that's why I think a Rogue Squadron show has a chance of being the next big animation project.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

DancinBrud posted:

The starship speed is 100% an aesthetic choice, same as the skinny saber blades. I think they're specifically aping the feel of Falcon vs. TIEs battle from late in episode IV. I agree it's tough to get used to after the speedy feel of Clone Wars.

I mean, it's even hard to get used to after the speedy feel of Return of the Jedi.

Personally I don't have any issues with the space combat in Rebels but I know it mostly boils down to their budget and time constraints.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DancinBrud posted:

There are plenty of things that Rebels' budget gets in the way of (hello crowd scenes), but I'm convinced it's absolutely not a factor in the speed of the space battles. In fact, I think space battles are one of the most budget-friendly parts of the show, and that's why I think a Rogue Squadron show has a chance of being the next big animation project.

If there's a Rogue Squadron show there better be at least a couple of episodes here and there with a Wraith Squadron. Rogue Squadron are fun, and seeing how they helped retake the galaxy in the new canon would be fun, but Wraith had all the best characters and featured a lot more on foot infiltration missions as well as fun space battle stuff.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DancinBrud posted:

I'm not necessarily sure I agree with this, or at least there were some very strange choices made regarding space combat if it was true. Just look at the final battle this season - the actual capital ships spent most of the time just meandering near each other at point blank ranges with absolutely no fire exchanged whatsoever. Like, they could have had the star destroyers killing the various corvettes that were going down, but for some reason it was generic TIE fighter fire destroying most of them (aside from the Nebulon-B at the beginning, and the one corvette that took two proton bombs - which is honestly still pathetic, but at least that is anti-capital ship weaponry).

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

tsob posted:

If there's a Rogue Squadron show there better be at least a couple of episodes here and there with a Wraith Squadron. Rogue Squadron are fun, and seeing how they helped retake the galaxy in the new canon would be fun, but Wraith had all the best characters and featured a lot more on foot infiltration missions as well as fun space battle stuff.

Give me Corran Horn though.
Wraith squadron was amazing too

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Even if they just do something in the spirit of Wraith/Rogue squadron, I'll be happy. Give me a bunch of misfits saving the galaxy and shooting down Ties and becoming a family and I will mainline that poo poo.

Edit: Yknow, like Rebels.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 18, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I want at least one member whose species is just plain weird to have as a star fighter pilot and is, at least conventionally speaking, just not suited to it. In the Wraith Squadron books that was Piggy, who was a Gamorrean (the pig guys Jabba had in his palace), and to a lesser degree Runt, a horse faced species who were normally too tall to fit in standard star fighters but Runt was well...a runt, and just barely squeezed in to one. Whether it's another Gamorrean, a Hutt, an Ithorian or a new species I don't really care - though another Gamorrean would probably feel like it was just copying Piggy frankly. Someone from a socially different species like Ooryl Qrrgg would be cool too, just to have that outside perspective and explore odd ideas. I always loved that his species started out nameless and earned names by deed, with use of the "I" being held to be the highest honor, since it assumed everyone knew the person using it by name.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

tsob posted:

Runt, a horse faced species who were normally too tall to fit in standard star fighters but Runt was well...a runt, and just barely squeezed in to one.

HORSE PILOT had better be recanonised.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RC Cola posted:

Give me Corran Horn though.
Wraith squadron was amazing too

No, please, no Stackpole Sues.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

cptn_dr posted:

HORSE PILOT had better be recanonised.

I swear I had a picture at one point of a Hutt squeezed in to and piloting an X-Wing, just about to enter battle with his squad but it's on another computer and for the life of me I cannot find any reference to it on Google or even Wookiepedia.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

tsob posted:

I swear I had a picture at one point of a Hutt squeezed in to and piloting an X-Wing, just about to enter battle with his squad but it's on another computer and for the life of me I cannot find any reference to it on Google or even Wookiepedia.

A little harsh to call him a Hutt, though. Don't you think?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Along with Rogue/Wraith Squadron, give me a spiritual successor to Starfighters of Adumar starring Poe Dameron and Black Squadron.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Holy balls, y'all. Just watched the two part Mandalorian Sabine Goodness.

As a whole, season 3 is much stronger than last year. The narrative has more heft, and I'm happy to see the narrative move away from Pouty Ezra.

But lord, have their been some stinkers. The Geonosis two parter was a huge whiff, and the Iron Squadron stuff was their worst episode ever.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

I'm not necessarily sure I agree with this, or at least there were some very strange choices made regarding space combat if it was true. Just look at the final battle this season - the actual capital ships spent most of the time just meandering near each other at point blank ranges with absolutely no fire exchanged whatsoever.
You've just described pretty much every Star Wars space battle, haven't you? It's always focused on the starfighters.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's a doctrinal approach that shouldn't be invented until the battle of Yavin! :goonsay:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Narcissus1916 posted:

Holy balls, y'all. Just watched the two part Mandalorian Sabine Goodness.

As a whole, season 3 is much stronger than last year. The narrative has more heft, and I'm happy to see the narrative move away from Pouty Ezra.

But lord, have their been some stinkers. The Geonosis two parter was a huge whiff, and the Iron Squadron stuff was their worst episode ever.

The Iron Squadron stuff is way more palatable if you watch Rebels Recon after the episodes. The kids on the YT-2400 are modeled/named after Andi Gutierrez and her camera-person and sound-person. It's pretty cute.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

At first I was curious as to if Iron Squadron would show up again with some character development now that Sato is dead, however given this is the last season and the small episode count (probably to pack as much budget into each episode as possible) I kinda doubt they will reappear as the focus of an episode.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I liked Iron Squadron, because it was essentially a, 'remember how annoying everyone was in season 1?' episode.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I like Iron squadron because the redesigned Outrider looked cool and I want it in x-wing

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DancinBrud posted:

You've just described pretty much every Star Wars space battle, haven't you? It's always focused on the starfighters.

Not really? At least in terms of fighters being relevant in taking down cap ships outside of dedicated anti-capital weaponry or freak circumstances. Like, compare to the space battle in Rogue One. Sure, the focus was mostly on the swirling fighter melee, but the capital ships were still duking it out in the background. While an X-wing did take out one of the Star Destroyer's shield projectors (or whatever the hell they are in nuCanon), it had already been noted that it had lost shields due to the exchange of fire between the main fleets. Hell, it would have recovered from the Y-wing run with Ion bombs too, given some time, if other plans hadn't intervened. When you saw TIE fighters strafing the cruisers, they caused some shaking, but no actual damage as the shots were being absorbed by the shields.

Return of the Jedi similarly had fighters not doing much to capital ships, with the one instance of the A-wing ramming Executor's bridge explicitly being possible because the entire Rebel fleet had concentrated fire on Executor to briefly take down its shields. Even then it's not like that alone would have destroyed the ship, or even permanently taken it out of the battle, if it hadn't hit the Death Star (not going to go over possible reasons as to why that happened, as they're not relevant).

Compare to Zero Hour, where a goddamn TIE fighter blew up a Hammerhead corvette with a strafing run. The camera follows the fighter melee because it's more interesting than watching two lines of ships just sit and shoot at each other, not because they're the ones directly taking out the enemy fleet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you want a series where battleship to battleship fights are the crux of the space combat you probably want Legend of Galactic Heroes more than Star Wars

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you want a series where battleship to battleship fights are the crux of the space combat you probably want Legend of Galactic Heroes more than Star Wars

Though albeit, also a series where lone fighters are repeatedly shown taking down capital ships.

Still, watch LoGH; it's sheer, unadulterated sci-fi goodness with a heaping helping of SPACE POLITICS (but unlike SW's, actually kind of discernible and gripping) layered on for good measure.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

hmm interesting

googles logh, sees its an anime

mmm...nope

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

banned from Starbucks posted:

hmm interesting

googles logh, sees its an anime

mmm...nope

Legend of Galactic Heroes may be an anime but it doesn't partake in any of the tropes or cliches you probably associate with anime. If anything, it's art has always reminded me more of late 80's Western shows like GI Joe. More to the point though the show is basically about the history of humanity (and explicitly the history of warfare) projected through a sci-fi lens. There's nothing anime about it's story and characters and the whole thing is one long plot, that diverges multiple times to show how this huge galactic conflict is affecting the normal civilians throughout both factions. I think there was a "Let's Watch" a few years ago on TVIV that was apparently quite successful, and I'm kind of curious if someone would ever do it again because I'd love to rewatch it and that's a good excuse.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nah there are a TON of anime tropes in LOGH, just not ones typically associated with modern anime. Among other things, how the protagonists are like the smartest, most beautiful, young and noble people in the whole universe and also the entire character of someone like Reinhard's sister. In fact, most of the side characters fall into any number of archetypes that are immediately apparent if you've played something like Fire Emblem or Suikoden or watched pretty much any fantasy/sci-fi anime (of course in a lot of cases these were inspired by LOGH).

It's fantastic though. I think the more appropriate description is that it moves far beyond the tropes to tell a story that's genuinely engaging by most narrative metrics.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

DAAAHHH TALK ABOUT STAR WARS!

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I was going to write up an ornate summation about the first three seasons (i'm caught up!) but I made the mistake of watching The Phantom Menace in preparation for The Clone Wars.

Holy poo poo, somehow it got worse. The special effects look horrific, and I forgot the creepiness of 9 year old Anakin getting ready for his balls to drop since he saw Padme.

Does TCW actually show them as a couple, or does it just swerve around that garbage fire?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

I was going to write up an ornate summation about the first three seasons (i'm caught up!) but I made the mistake of watching The Phantom Menace in preparation for The Clone Wars.

Holy poo poo, somehow it got worse. The special effects look horrific, and I forgot the creepiness of 9 year old Anakin getting ready for his balls to drop since he saw Padme.

Does TCW actually show them as a couple, or does it just swerve around that garbage fire?

It showed them as a couple. and has Jar Jar in it because it's a kids show, and kids liked Jar Jar. Also it's very violent.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MrJacobs posted:

It showed them as a couple. and has Jar Jar in it because it's a kids show, and kids liked Jar Jar. Also it's very violent.

It did, but nowhere near as bad as the chemistry-free romp in the hillside as AotC, or the confusingly unsupported angst of RotS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Also you should just skip all the Padme episodes. I don't think there was a single one that was enjoyable. Which is a pity.

• Locked thread