Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't hear that sound in game but can on the video, so I can only imagine that the mixing on TDI's end is squashing the audio range or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Count me in as one of the 'couldn't hear in game, could hear in the video when I knew when to listen' people. It's pretty hard to hear since it seems to blend in with my tinnitus, but the pulsing gives it away.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
If you want to know exactly how hosed your ears already are, find out here.

By the way, the common sample rate by way of the CD Music standard (44.1 KHz) was chosen to be able to render sounds up to a frequency of 22 KHz. What percentage of your CDs can you already not hear anymore? :)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

HenryEx posted:

By the way, the common sample rate by way of the CD Music standard (44.1 KHz) was chosen to be able to render sounds up to a frequency of 22 KHz. What percentage of your CDs can you already not hear anymore? :)

Kind of a slanted question given who's most likely to find the concept of "your CDs" relevant.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

HenryEx posted:

I can only hear up to 15 KHz and I'm only 26 years old :negative:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Kind of a slanted question given who's most likely to find the concept of "your CDs" relevant.

Most digital music is based on the CD standards, sometimes (rarely) you'll find one with a sample rate of 48KHz but that's mainly used for like, movie audio tracks. Anything higher should only be used in music production, not consumption. Yeah, digital music nowadays still mostly follows a format that was established almost 40 years ago.

I'm saying CDs cause they're uncompressed, since the psychoacoustic modeling of MP3 and other compression algorithms massively fucks with the higher frequencies and sometimes cuts them off wholesale anyways, as you can hear by the sound being pretty obvious as soon as it's on a compressed video.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Eopia posted:

I can only hear up to 15 KHz and I'm only 26 years old :negative:

In my case it cuts out as soon as I go over 16 KHz, but at least I'm 34. I'm slowly getting to the age were this kind of thing is expected to happen. :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

HenryEx posted:

Most digital music is based on the CD standards, sometimes (rarely) you'll find one with a sample rate of 48KHz but that's mainly used for like, movie audio tracks. Anything higher should only be used in music production, not consumption. Yeah, digital music nowadays still mostly follows a format that was established almost 40 years ago.

I'm saying CDs cause they're uncompressed, since the psychoacoustic modeling of MP3 and other compression algorithms massively fucks with the higher frequencies and sometimes cuts them off wholesale anyways, as you can hear by the sound being pretty obvious as soon as it's on a compressed video.

Man, it was just a joke.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
i.

hear.

a.

sound.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
19 khz is my limit, 32 years old
But at least we will always be able to hear the Chaotic song

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I'm hosed, I can't hear 15hz at 32 :(

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I can hear 20 and 22 but not 21.

As said before im 22.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

HenryEx posted:

33, can still hear 22KHz.

I also don't think the pod noise was all that ear-gougey, but I've heard worse by far.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

One small detail I like about the tall-stack desert robots is that they have red eyes but no arms. So while they're peaceful, maybe they really would like to kill androids, but they just lack the means to do so.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I find it weird that people think the Machines are creepy, when to me they are adorably cute.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Did the test with my kids

Me 34 years: 15 hz
Kid 10 years: 17 hz
Kids 7 and 6 years: 18 hz

I'm suspecting my earphones don't work well enough.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
hey kids, wanna be LP test rabbits

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Fangz posted:

I find it weird that people think the Machines are creepy, when to me they are adorably cute.

I just find them both cute and sad at once which makes me feel really weird about them.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Jackass is cool and good.

Also I love the Pokeys but they're also tremendous fun to dismantle. I think I'd have spent a lot less time overall in that area if I didn't feel the urge to go and smash them on the way past so often.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

JcDent posted:

hey kids, wanna be LP test rabbits

I feel like this was his secret weapon to cut down on spoilers. The next update will have 2B wearing a skirt that either looks blue and black or white and gold, depending on the person.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Yeah, I have the same problem. I feel really guilty when I have to kill those guys, even the dangerous ones. Right now I just leave every machine alone, as long as they don't attack me first. Most of them are just so cute! :3:

But gently caress those big brute guys, I'll never tire to smash them around.

DeafNote posted:

I retested myself, since the first time through I forgot to change my volume, like I was supposed to do. When going through the options and starting low/slowly dialing up volume I found out my range is actually higher then I thought: 17 KHz, instead of 16 KHz.

Theoretically, I should be able to hear 18 KHz and higher by just making the sound really, really loud. But I think that would be a bad idea, considering 18 KHz only starts faintly to be noticeable when my speakers reach their limit. 19 KHz and higher would probably be loud enough to make blood spurt out of my ears. :v:

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

I didn't hear the cutscene beeping in the game, but I can hear it faintly in the video.

With that online test, though, I can hear up to 21khz if I turn the volume up ALL the way. I'm 31 and would err on the side of my hearing starting to go to poo poo, though.

Fangz posted:

Count me in as another who thinks they are cute with their big round heads and bright little eyes :love:

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
The last one I can hear easily is 18kHz, but if I strain my ears I can faintly hear all of them. Think I found my superpower!

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015

Screaming Idiot posted:

i.

hear.

a.

sound.

Gentlemen, BEHOLD! The one instance where those words have a positive context!

Also, managed to hear it after watching the vid a second time.
Nearly got a heart attack after I couldn't hear it during the first.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

DeafNote posted:

The day we are no longer able to hear that song will be the day of the heat death of universe. Then it'll start all over again in the afterlife because gently caress you that's why.

Also 15khz is my limit at 31, so yeah.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
If I shoot my volume up to near maximum, I can hear up to 21khz and I'm 29. That said, I don't think I ever heard anything in game. I think it's harder to notice noise in that range when you aren't actively listening for it.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
In regards to not hearing the sound while playing the game yourself: remember, this game 100% made you manually gently caress with the sound setting during the Prologue. That sound is dictated by voice volume It's the Pod screaming for help! :v:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

The Dark Id posted:

In regards to not hearing the sound while playing the game yourself: remember, this game 100% made you manually gently caress with the sound setting during the Prologue. That sound is dictated by voice volume It's the Pod screaming for help! :v:

Taroooooo :argh:

But seriously though I mean I had voice at max and fx at medium the whole time and, like seemingly everyone else here, I never noticed that sound in-game but did in the video.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Fedule posted:

Taroooooo :argh:

But seriously though I mean I had voice at max and fx at medium the whole time and, like seemingly everyone else here, I never noticed that sound in-game but did in the video.

Yeah, I also have voices maxed yet never heard it in the game, but it's crystal clear and annoyingly loud in the youtube video.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I could barely hear a pulsing (and in the test thing I couldn't hear above 10 mhz, so). But then I remembered a certain rooftop where it seemed like the music was pulsing in and out with silence, and I realized what it must mean. A clue in the cutscene, brilliant.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Fangz posted:

Stubbies are basically weaponized adorable with the way they hop around and their main attack is to flail wildly while running at you as fast as their tiny little legs will allow. :3:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I couldn't hear it at all, but I just happened to randomly run into the pod while doing another sidequest. Didn't find the third pod until route B.

Also never upgraded a single pod despite finishing the last ending of the game just yesterday. I actually got the pure waters but didn't have enough simple gadgets :argh:

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

I'm glad I found the little fella right out of the gate, but I may be in the minority on this one. :smith:

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Desert zone is super fun and the reason I found the thing making the noise is because I spent nearly an hour goofing around on those dunes.
And the thing making the noise makes it even more fun I think.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Fabulousvillain posted:

I'm glad I found the little fella right out of the gate, but I may be in the minority on this one. :smith:

I didn't hear poo poo, so I searched the entire desert. Found him eventually...he's a big help!

Of COURSE Taro would troll us like that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Still better than any "trolled by Cavia" crap!

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Trolled by Cavia Platinum?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well. That's certainly a huge-looking desert.

Does 2B, like, move slower in the sand or anything?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Mercifully, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Glazius posted:

Well. That's certainly a huge-looking desert.

Does 2B, like, move slower in the sand or anything?

she scoots around on her rear end like a dog.

it's a questionable design decision.

• Locked thread