Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I could have cut down to 66 when I was benching 112, your honour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
basically at a TESTED meet more than half the people my weight would be stronger than me, they gotta be cheating

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
25th percentile on all listed lifts.

I'd believe it, though I'd put myself down to 20th due to me weighing a bit more than the category i was closest to.

Lots of dudes bigger than I.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Feak waggot over here but I'm more aesthetic than the nerds who lift more weight than I do. At least I tell myself that.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
According to that chart I'm smack dab in the middle for my totals and weight, I feel so averagely swole right now, feels ok.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I lifted that chart as an OHP.

REKT

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I never see these strong dudes, they must all be working out in obscure powerlifter gyms and poo poo

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Zzulu posted:

I never see these strong dudes, they must all be working out in obscure powerlifter gyms and poo poo

They doin' street workouts with Kali Muscle

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Zzulu posted:

:ssh: they're all doing crossfit

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Zzulu posted:

Or maybe it's a self reported study

"How much do I lift? Ehhh yeahhh, like a ton..."

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Or maybe it's a self reported study

"How much do I lift? Ehhh yeahhh, like a ton..."

There's a couple of smallish statistical statements that are questionable, but the larger post goes into greater detail about the data sources and results than most published research I've seen.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I work out in an obscure powerlifting gym, and yup, they're certainly here (along with the strong ladies). And there are plenty of them. In fact today I had to go to morning meetings so I had to go the gym in the after work; 7 squat racks, all full, with people waiting.

Luckily today was deadlifts for me but dang yo, I like to warm my legs up with a few sets of squats. This is why early morning lifting is the best lifting.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Paper Diamonds posted:

This is why early morning lifting is the best lifting.

as someone lifting after 9 pm most nights, I can confirm that it's poo poo

it also has the effect of keeping me too pumped up to go to sleep on time, this compounding the shittiness the next day

edit: i also end up eating something of a second dinner because i feel like i need it after lifting, thus compounding fatiness

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 20, 2017

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Wimps! I lift at 3am 4 nights in a row and I feel great. If my gym was open 24/7 instead of 24/4 I'd put a rest day in the middle. It's nice having the whole place to myself for the first hour before 2 or 3 bro's show up.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

what kind of hosed up schedule are you on where that makes sense?

TheTremendous
Jan 4, 2013
I recently competed in my first powerlifting meet and can confirm that I am in fact a weak baby. 30th percentile according to that chart, which seems about right.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I work from 6:30pm to 2:30~3am Sunday through Thursday. It's a horrible schedule, I'm searching for a higher paying job with better hours. I don't even try to go to the gym on the weekends because they get insanely busy unless you get there right after they open. But yeah.. I'm usually the only person there aside from the janitor when I show up after work.

Right now my split is like this..

Monday: deadlifts/back
Tuesday: chest
Wednesday: OHP/shoulders/arms
Thursday: squats/legs
Friday: rest
Saturday: mobility and whatever exercises I feel like doing at home
Sunday: back to work/rest

I did this for the better part of a year and only had trouble when I was drinking a bunch and not doing enough mobility work and foam rolling.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

TheTremendous posted:

I recently competed in my first powerlifting meet and can confirm that I am in fact a weak baby. 30th percentile according to that chart, which seems about right.

A super strong guy once said "Dog it ain't about the weight on the bar it's about the heart you put into it."

I did my first meet a few months ago and I'm sitting at 5%, so 30% is totally fine. Plus gently caress that chart because making comparisons like that just means you're always weaker than someone. Unless you're setting world records.

Let's hear about the meet man! Swole thread needs content!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

the chart is wrong because it only puts me at 99% whereas i know myself to be the strongest person to have competed anywhere in the last five years

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

also what's the point of comparing yourself to really strong people? a sure way to dispirit you. i find comparing myself to fat, weak, old people around the office gives me the maximum ego boost

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Thesaurus posted:

also what's the point of comparing yourself to really strong people? a sure way to dispirit you. i find comparing myself to fat, weak, old people around the office gives me the maximum ego boost
It's completely fine to look up to really strong guys/gals for inspiration. But to judge yourself harshly based upon a chart just screams insecurity.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Paper Diamonds posted:

It's completely fine to look up to really strong guys/gals for inspiration. But to judge yourself harshly based upon a chart just screams insecurity.

Looking up to someone for having stronger genetics seems odd to me. Then again I compare myself to them so I'm just as dumb.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The solution is to get higher in the chart and then look down on an even greater number of people

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Cobra Commander posted:

Feak waggot over here but I'm more aesthetic than the nerds who lift more weight than I do. At least I tell myself that.

I've been cutting for almost 2 months and am currently close to the lightest I've been in 3 years (while not traveling) at 190lbs. I'm weak as gently caress but I look loving amazing. Even my face has thinned out. I forgot what I looked like when I didnt have the bloated bulk face. I am one goddamn beautiful man.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Defiant Sally posted:

I've been cutting for almost 2 months and am currently close to the lightest I've been in 3 years (while not traveling) at 190lbs. I'm weak as gently caress but I look loving amazing. Even my face has thinned out. I forgot what I looked like when I didnt have the bloated bulk face. I am one goddamn beautiful man.

Keep going... almost there

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Keep going... almost there

okay

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
not roid acne btw just bad skin as usual

almost 30 and still getting bacne LOL!!!!!

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Defiant Sally posted:

almost 30 and still getting bacne LOL!!!!!

Same here. How has your thyroid been lately?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Good job, you look like you roid which is actually a cool thing if you dont actually roid

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

nice

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

No basement, voted 3

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Fellows, I think I may be doing dumbell side raises wrong. I tilt forward at the hips just a little, and tilt my hands back a bit, like the Jeff Cavalier dude recommends. I mean I do feel it in my shoulders, and since adding them in it seems like my OHP is getting stronger. But they are giving me wicked pumps in my traps as well. Like I still don't have a whole ton of muscle but when I came in after the gym it looks like someone put a buff dudes traps on my body. Which is strange. I don't even do any trap poo poo, other than whatever amount shrugging OHP reps all the way upward hits them. I haven't even been deadlifting recently. Is it just a normal thing for traps to get in on the action a little with the side raises?

e: thinking about it, at the top of the rep I do think I'm bringing my shoulder blades back and up, making a shrugging motion. Is this bad? If not I don't see why I should stop, traps are cool I guess.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 22, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Fellows, I think I may be doing dumbell side raises wrong. I tilt forward at the hips just a little, and tilt my hands back a bit, like the Jeff Cavalier dude recommends. I mean I do feel it in my shoulders, and since adding them in it seems like my OHP is getting stronger. But they are giving me wicked pumps in my traps as well. Like I still don't have a whole ton of muscle but when I came in after the gym it looks like someone put a buff dudes traps on my body. Which is strange. I don't even do any trap poo poo, other than whatever amount shrugging OHP reps all the way upward hits them. I haven't even been deadlifting recently. Is it just a normal thing for traps to get in on the action a little with the side raises?

Yes.

Personally I want my raises to be right back there because front delts get enough work as it is.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
yeah, that's why I went with the Jeff dudes version, he said it would hit more mid and back delts. I already do 9 sets of bench press and 6 sets of OHP a week so I feel like my front delts are covered. Just wanted to make sure going up like that and letting my traps get involved wasn't bad for the shoulder. Generally they are pretty healthy, I can do all those little impingement tests with no pain, and have decent range of motion in them.

e: Yeah, I noticed the movement felt better overall when I let my shoulder blades move back and up with the concentric part of the rep

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 22, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm no doctor but I'd say you're more likely to impinge something by keeping your traps locked in place rather than letting them move about and do some work. The shoulder joint isn't really designed to move directly back in that way, past a certain point, and letting your traps pull your whole shoulder back with the movement is the healthier option.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Swole bros, my days of consuming entire cooked animals post-workout (or for lunch, snacks, breakfast) are over. My kidneys refuse to cooperate and will threaten to kill me if I don't cut down to about 150g per day (in addition to other dietary changes).

Pour out some whey in memory of my gains :rip:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
eat a salami

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Jeff cavalier is dreamy

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Chinatown posted:

eat a salami

Salami is ruled out. Too much sodium. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

a mysterious cloak posted:

Salami is ruled out. Too much sodium. :suicide:

jesus christ no