Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dubs can enhance comedy but you either the original needs to be really bad to begin with so you have nothing to lose, or the dub team needs to take a genuine creative role and not just translate it 1:1. Or both.

So Ghost Stories and Shin-Chan.

By the way, Chinese dubbing of shows like Detective Conan and My Little Pony is astoundingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

I feel like I've been summoned here by this post. Seriously, I want Clawhauser to get more screen time in the inevitable sequel.
For some reason I keep mentally envisioning a scene in the sequel where Nick, Clawhauser and Finnick are all sitting on a couch playing video games after a long day on the job. (I don't know what Finnick's job would be, though.) Since Clawhauser and Finnick were originally Nick's clique in the old shock collar treatment, it sorta makes sense.

Less sensical: my brain also wants to insert a bat character into this clique. Especially if voiced by Will Arnett. It makes some sense on a meta scale (Jason Bateman and Will Arnett are huge friends; Will Arnett played LEGO Batman), but it's still dumb fanfiction.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Shadow Hog posted:

dumb fanfiction.

no need to repeat yourself

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That Willy Wonka Tom & Jerry thing is just so loving baffling. Like I can understand if they just did that story but with Tom and Jerry instead of the kid and his grandpa, and they inadvertently cause a bunch of poo poo to go wrong when Tom can't help but chase after Jerry. But this literally looks like Tom and Jerry are just... there. While Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is happening. The trailer gave no indication that Charlie and his grandpa, or any of the human characters, interact with Tom and Jerry in any way, or even know that they're there. The only person in the whole trailer that interacts with them is a new mouse Oompa Loompa. I almost want to watch it just so I can see if they are just ghost riding the movie the whole time.

I would also love to know if any of the peopel working on the movie at any point were like "what the gently caress is this movie?". Like not in a "why didn't they try to stop it" why but more just I wonder if any of the people making the movie were scratching their heads over the idea too

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Shadow Hog posted:

For some reason I keep mentally envisioning a scene in the sequel where Nick, Clawhauser and Finnick are all sitting on a couch playing video games after a long day on the job. (I don't know what Finnick's job would be, though.) Since Clawhauser and Finnick were originally Nick's clique in the old shock collar treatment, it sorta makes sense.

Less sensical: my brain also wants to insert a bat character into this clique. Especially if voiced by Will Arnett. It makes some sense on a meta scale (Jason Bateman and Will Arnett are huge friends; Will Arnett played LEGO Batman), but it's still dumb fanfiction.

Put the entire Arrested Development cast into the world of Zootopia. Then by way of Jessica Walter cross it over with the entire Archer cast. Then by way of Jon Benjamin cross it over with the entire Bob's Burgers cast.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Gosh I love me some ensemble comedies :3:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Drifter posted:

99% of dubs in this world are loving awful.

Also, Cowboy Bebop is a dope movie, made even better after watching the series.

:yeah:

https://youtu.be/Jy9FQgXFLjM

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
is there anywhere i can watch all these cool anime movies online, netflix doesn't have them (at least australian netflix doesn't) and i like to get my movies legitimately if possible

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guys I'm still having trouble believing that the Willy Wonka Tom and Jerry movie is real and not some funnyordie video

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I can't believe it takes it's entire visual design and music directly from the film

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I would love to see more "Tom and Jerry tag along" takes on children's classics. Perhaps they could do Animal Farm next.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Martytoof posted:

Guys I'm still having trouble believing that the Willy Wonka Tom and Jerry movie is real and not some funnyordie video

Would you also believe that there is one where they cross over with Jonny Quest?

Also I'm pretty sure they're using the actual Gene Wilder audio for Pure Imagination.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 19, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The movie is entirely baffling on all fronts. Isn't the Dahl estate super controlling over adaptations, pretty much entirely because he hated the original Willy Wonka so much? How did they allow an animated version of it that uses the original designs and even voice acting wholesale and incidentally Tom and Jerry is in it even get approved!?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Johnny Depp happened and they were like "Yeah, whatever."

(Confession: I don't think the Burton version is really that bad in a vacuum)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mostly remember it feeling incredibly sterile.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Waffleman_ posted:

(Confession: I don't think the Burton version is really that bad in a vacuum)

That's good, because the vacuum of space is where every copy of that movie belongs

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I liked it. I liked, all the music sequences

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Pierre Boulle, Roald Dahl and Lewis Carroll have a support group in the afterlife where they all console themselves over the mounds of poo poo Tim Burton has forever heaped upon their work

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Back to Tom and Jerry, remember the movie where they fuckin' talked? That was weird.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Then Pierre and Lewis secretly hope that Wes Anderson will make everything better for them too :unsmith:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

starkebn posted:

do yourself a favour and watch it in Japanese, don't fall for the dub hype

counterpoint, there's a reason it's one of the very few dubs many weeaboos will concede is good.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Direct to DVD animation has been getting loving weird for a while. We've got this Tom and Jerry poo poo, there's a loving metric ton of WWE crossovers with animated TV shows (leading us to the seminal masterpiece WWE Surf's Up Where Otter Vince McMahon Milks A Fish, a 15-second twitter clip that will never leave my brain), and then there are all the CGI mockbusters that are only evolving more these days. At least it's been a long time since Ratatoing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Build-a-Boar posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but all the people in this movie look like they were drawn from referencing people in Pinocchio (except above is just an example of someone who doesn't know how to draw)

I didn't actually want to watch the trailer when it was linked but now I can't ignore it: dear lord what is wrong with the color saturation in this movie?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

counterpoint, there's a reason it's one of the very few dubs many weeaboos will concede is good.

They're wrong, and not just because all dubs are bad. I don't care if they like it, people are allowed to like bad things.

I'm coming from a perspective where I watched it in Japanese, I think a lot of people who think the dub is okay probably never watched it in Japanese. I have only ever tried the dub twice, and both times had to turn it off after 5 minutes. The characterisation via the voice in the dub is just completely different. If you watch the dub I think you'll be watching a different show basically and I prefer the one the original creators came up with.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHimvUy7ZQk

Going through animated movies that look cheap and awful because I find them really funny. This one isn't TERRIBLE, just weird. The animation is.. okay, but several times the camera doesn't change until a second or two after the characters are done with their animations so they just.. stop, it's so weird.

There's also this part of the movie which is so bizarre and out of nowhere:

The whole movie is bright and colourful and everything's cartoony with big eyes, and then suddenly there's a scene with these disturbing Dali stilt elephants, for no reason at all. The character isn't dreaming, nothing weird's going on. Just.. disturbing elephants for a few seconds. I really like them because they're so weird and actually made me feel a bit uncomfortable. They're animated like nothing else in the movie either.

Oh, also, the dance party at the end of the movie is to 'Never Gonna Give You Up'.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Eh, I'll just agree to disagree on this. I personally prefer dubs (though granted, I can't remember the last anime I've watched aside from the Bebop blurays).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Motto posted:

I mostly remember it feeling incredibly sterile.

This is something I notice with ALL Tim Burton's movies, even the stuff that's considered unequivocally good - there's this kind of sterileness in the direction and set that keeps the audience at arm's reach from the characters and actions.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

Eh, I'll just agree to disagree on this. I personally prefer dubs (though granted, I can't remember the last anime I've watched aside from the Bebop blurays).

if you enjoy it there's no reason to bother with what I think anyway

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Build-a-Boar posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but all the people in this movie look like they were drawn from referencing people in Pinocchio (except above is just an example of someone who doesn't know how to draw)

THese look like those 'didny worl' memes. Christ, that movie looks so bad in every department.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Shadow Hog posted:

There actually is a bat character that got cut from the film. He shows up in the art book and strangely as a toy with Clawhauser.

starkebn posted:

if you enjoy it there's no reason to bother with what I think anyway

I can't even remember the last time I watched anime and enjoyed it at this point, but Bebop has always a place for me. You have me intrigued enough to go back and give the subs a try. Been needing to finish watching the Blu-Ray anyways.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

PenguinKnight posted:

That face that kid is pulling reminds me a bit of Joan Cornelia's comics. He's going to pull out a knife stab his uncle, and then himself in a glorious blood fountain

Hmm, you're right.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Toad King posted:

Hmm, you're right.

good effort team, ideas and execution

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Crazy Ferret posted:

There actually is a bat character that got cut from the film. He shows up in the art book and strangely as a toy with Clawhauser.

I can't even remember the last time I watched anime and enjoyed it at this point, but Bebop has always a place for me. You have me intrigued enough to go back and give the subs a try. Been needing to finish watching the Blu-Ray anyways.

"one of us, one of us"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Is anyone else a Wolf's Rain fan? :kiddo:

It's anime as gently caress but I dig the post apocalyptic feel and the music is absolutely excellent (it's by Yoko Kanno who did all of the Bebop music too)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

It's anime as gently caress but I dig the post apocalyptic feel and the music is absolutely excellent (it's by Yoko Kanno who did all of the Bebop music too)

Im a sucker for anything that combines Edwardian ballroom dancing and rocketships, show failed to deliver after teasing me for episodes upon episodes.

The ending is nonsensical trash.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Shadow Hog posted:

It would certainly be interesting to show what Finnick does after he's no longer working with Nick. Maybe have Nick discover that he went on to a life of actual crime and get all conflicted over having to arrest him.

And more Clawhauser would certainly be a must-have.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

I think after coming off Bebop and Berserk I watched a few episodes of it and a few episodes of Samurai Champloo and I didn't end up watching any more of either of them .

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I didn't really like "jolly fat guy cop" in Zootopia

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The movie is entirely baffling on all fronts. Isn't the Dahl estate super controlling over adaptations, pretty much entirely because he hated the original Willy Wonka so much? How did they allow an animated version of it that uses the original designs and even voice acting wholesale and incidentally Tom and Jerry is in it even get approved!?

If I had to guess, I'd say that the reason that it is so heavily reliant on the images/songs/being of the original movie is because they don't have the rights to the book. Like, specifically, this film is not Tom and Jerry meet Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it is Tom and Jerry meet Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, meaning they probably, legally, aren't allowed to lift or reinterpret heretofore unadapted parts of the original text, just this one specific version of it that they have in their library.

I will say tho, these tom and jerry movies feel kind of brilliant in a weird way. It's like the world's laziest animation director came up with the perfect scam and has just been coasting on it for years and years. Whoever made this movie is my hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

CRINDY posted:

Direct to DVD animation has been getting loving weird for a while. We've got this Tom and Jerry poo poo, there's a loving metric ton of WWE crossovers with animated TV shows (leading us to the seminal masterpiece WWE Surf's Up Where Otter Vince McMahon Milks A Fish, a 15-second twitter clip that will never leave my brain)

Did you not see the clip where they lovingly animate slow motion pec-bouncing as the dumpy penguin looks on, obviously aroused as animate veins throb and pulse across a slap of animate chest-meat?

Its...hypnotically disturbing.