Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I really, sincerely don't give a dang about rovert: the poster: the character or whatever, but you gotta be a touch dense to think that post is the exception to how Meltzer's treated it.
When things started popping off, his write up in the newsletter and original comments on WOR pointed out that it was a workplace culture problem and that JBL was a symptom of how the company functioned. He mentioned multiple times how he had to assume JBL was sorry for what he did because otherwise he'd have to assume he was an irreedemable shithead, which he didn't think. I thought he was exceptionally soft on JBL initially, and it only ever crossed over into "dang, he's getting heated" when he went off on WOR. But! Nothing he's said negates the idea that JBL is a problem and worthy of his/your anger but is not the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

I'm glad someone is here to point out when someone is angry and frustrated about a situation in which a pot boils over and then after reflection comes to realize that there's a greater, systemic problem and realizes that he should focus on that; that this person is actually a dirty flip-flopper who is as gutless as the people he seeks to take to task and that his change in focus is due to his failure to get picked up by mainstream media.

Maybe next week we'll get that in-depth coverage of what really happened between Ric Flair and the overweight bartender; shining a light on Pro Wrestlings true bullies: belligerent narcissistic alcoholics.

If would be one thing if I did that PaybackJack:

rovert posted:

Meltzer's newest post possibly could have come reading Bruce's letter and refining his opinion - something that has happened before.

Nice piece of creative writing though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

exploded mummy posted:

I feel sorry for Jerusalem.

the problem has a very easy solution

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

sleepwalkers posted:

I really, sincerely don't give a dang about rovert: the poster: the character or whatever, but you gotta be a touch dense to think that post is the exception to how Meltzer's treated it.

I don't think it is the EXCEPTION. I just read as him lighting up on JBL to a degree.

With Meltzer you don't know what he has been told over the weekend or in general. If he's dropping hints or isn't.

If someone else sees differently I won't go on ad hominem attack like others do.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the problem has a very easy solution

Not misrepresenting what I say, if unsure ask a direct question and treat each other with respect?

rovert fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 18, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

rovert posted:

If would be one thing if I did that PaybackJack:

Post-delay on my end.

But I'm glad it only took you 4 posts to "refine" your premise that Metlzer was doing a complete 180 on JBL.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

Post-delay on my end.

But I'm glad it only took you 4 posts to "refine" your premise that Metlzer was doing a complete 180 on JBL.

Where did I say he did a complete 180? Why do people take things to the absolute extremes. Instead of writing all that stuff from the post before you could just ask a direct question.

I and others elsewhere read it as change in tact. If you don't cool.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
As it turns out, it could both be that JBL is a notorious shitheel bully AND the culture of WWE encourages, or at least doesn't explicitly discourage, that kind of negative behavior! It's not like Dave has said that JBL is both a bully and the potential scapegoat to avoid addressing bigger issues in the company or anything.

Also you're not just saying that "Dave might have lightened up on JBL" when you prefaced the linked post with that he's "acknowledging that his attempts to hype the story have failed", which he 100% is not saying in that post you linked. Like if you want to get some sort of masterstroke on Dave, good on you I guess? But this is like the dumbest hill to try and do it on. 🤔

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Just got round to the latest B&V and:

1) One of the best granny segments ever
2) This hasn't been a stellar year for guest hosts

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

rovert posted:

Where did I say he did a complete 180? Why do people take things to the absolute extremes. Instead of writing all that stuff from the post before you could just ask a direct question.

I and others elsewhere read it as change in tact. If you don't cool.

rovert posted:

Meltzer standing down/doing a mild about face from prior statements/acknowledging that his attempts to hype the story have failed or whatever you are having yourself:

An about-face is 180%. Putting mild in front of it doesn't change how far you actually turn, just the severity of the turn itself.

Meaning what you're saying you meant by this is that he's either dropping the JBL issue or adjusting his stance on it to some degree (0-180%), not that he's slowly been doing a 180.

If that is what you mean then, I agree with you. After his rant, he's definitely been focusing more on blaming the entire WWE hierarchy rather than just ranting about JBL. I disagree that he's doing that because of media response though. I think ranting about JBL would definitely be hotter topic.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

CascadeBeta posted:

But this is like the dumbest hill to try and do it on. 🤔

Doesn't read like I am fighting on a hill here:

rovert posted:

I don't think it is the EXCEPTION. I just read as him lighting up on JBL to a degree.

With Meltzer you don't know what he has been told over the weekend or in general. If he's dropping hints or isn't.

If someone else sees differently I won't go on ad hominem attack like others do.

My mind is pretty open here no? "Meltzer" can be difficult to parse.

Focus on what I said rather than what you want me to say. My mind is pretty open. I am open to the idea I am off base on my reading of his post. I wish I had the certainty of thought to fully take a stand.

PaybackJack posted:

If that is what you mean then, I agree with you. After his rant, he's definitely been focusing more on blaming the entire WWE hierarchy rather than just ranting about JBL. I disagree that he's doing that because of media response though. I think ranting about JBL would definitely be hotter topic.

That's fair. I think Meltzer's comments and even mild changes in tact are worth noting. I/we did the same thing during Daniel Bryan's final injury to date. As Meltzer is so close to the subject.

rovert fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 18, 2017

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

rovert posted:

If it's not the exception to his behavior regarding JBL, what about that post is lightening up, then? Maybe I'm misinterpreting here, but his initial coverage of the story and of JBL was extremely soft, to the point that he wouldn't even make a character judgement about JBL despite there being anecdotes and evidence from the past to suggest he's one of the people maintaining/sustaining a culture of abuse. If anything, that WOR where he ripped into JBL is the exception, as he often deferred to "it's the company, it's the company" before and after that tirade (though he also did mention it being a company problem in that big ol' rant).

People just like trying to dunk on you because you often use either intentionally or unintentionally unclear phrasing.

e: And it leads to situations like this, where people are arguing semantics about what you really mean. It'd be a lot clearer if you were to say "I think Meltzer could be lightening up his tone regarding the JBL story. Not sure, but maybe he read or heard something that's causing him to reconsider, maybe he's not happy with the traction the story got" instead.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 18, 2017

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I mean sure, if that's what you're saying, but you initially said that it was an about face on his story or an acknowledgement of failing to hype the story, which is 100 percent not true.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Meltzer says in the WOR pod on April 9 that he doesn't care about firing JBL which he says again in the post. He calls Layfield gutless on the show and talks about JBL's past behaviour, but mentions in the Observer that the belief 'across the board' is that Layfield has permission from Vince to weed out 'weak' people. He says on the pod that he was worried about Mauro working for WWE because he knows the culture, mentality and Vince. He went in hard on JBL on the pod but it's not like his post walks back from anything he said. Seems to me like he said everything he wanted to say about JBL on the pod and is now focusing on what he believes the real issue is: a cultural problem in WWE that stems from Vince. The implication here is that firing JBL won't solve anything because Vince will just find somebody else to bully people for him.

Really the story here imo is that Meltzer believes the bullying is in some way personally directed by Vince (rather than just being tolerated by Vince, which is bad enough).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So in attempt to move away for subforum cancer rovert, what was big Dave's take on the HOSS OFF last night?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Seams posted:

Really the story here imo is that Meltzer believes the bullying is in some way personally directed by Vince (rather than just being tolerated by Vince, which is bad enough).

While it happened back in the attitude era, I don't think modern day Vince is that far developed beyond a guy that would fart in people's faces.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So in attempt to move away for subforum cancer rovert, what was big Dave's take on the HOSS OFF last night?

He and Bryan hated the match mostly, but they liked the end though for some reason neither could remember the last time it happened (Show/Henry in 2011) they felt it was far enough out of people's minds that it was an ok time to repeat the spot. Bryan liked that they teased the superplex a couple times which made the crowd really hot for when it did happen.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 18, 2017

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I want to move along too. If people about think Meltzer's forum post doesn't represent even a mild change in stance/tact fair enough.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

He liked it

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

can we get a roast rovert thread so we can get back to the usual nonsense and non-contextual posts this thread normally does?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bryan's robot voice will never not be funny to me

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

rovert posted:

"The problem isn't about JBL, even though I spent 20 minutes calling him gutless and praised my own writing saying the problem was JBL."

your life is probably real bad

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

coconono posted:

can we get a roast rovert thread

There's already enough online dammit.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Make a rovert posting quarantie thread, but make rovert IK

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Junpei Hyde posted:

Make a rovert posting quarantie thread, but make rovert IK

Thall piss people off becauseyou can't ignore mods/IKs.

Good plan.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rovert getting mad because someone is being vague about the extent of their knowledge is comedy gold.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

skipping the last two pages but MRT is right and rovert is wrong about meltz going out of his way to say jbl isnt really the problem

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
rovert

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

as always, Fire Vince

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Venomous posted:

as always, Fire Vince

Vince... was Always Bad???

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
My takeaway from this is that Dave Meltzer is not only a really good journalist, he's also very likeable and handsome.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Gonzo McFee posted:

My takeaway from this is that Dave Meltzer is not only a really good journalist, he's also very likeable and handsome.

Have you heard about his abs?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's typical rovert. Heavily imply something, then claims his actual point is something that is entirely subjective and not quantifiable in any way so that when people start attacking his heavy implication, he can cry that he's being misrepresented.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Have you heard about his abs?

Big Dave wearing nothing but his leather Jacket and a smile, getting all the scoops

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's typical rovert. Heavily imply something, then claims his actual point is something that is entirely subjective and not quantifiable in any way so that when people start attacking his heavy implication, he can cry that he's being misrepresented.

You would understand his take better if you were on Dark Twitter, though

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Dave answered the wrestling audience/ad rates question exactly as I hoped he would

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

You would understand his take better if you were on Dark Twitter, though

I don't understand what Black Twitter has to do with bullying in the WWE but alright.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
What the gently caress are any of you talking about stop ruining my thread also I agree that these B&V guest Whale Scout hosts have not been great.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah definitely not as good as years past. i've kinda tuned out of the podcasts midway through.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Karmine posted:

What the gently caress are any of you talking about stop ruining my thread also I agree that these B&V guest Whale Scout hosts have not been great.

This is Dave Meltzer's thread now, fucker.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MassRafTer posted:

This is Dave Meltzer's thread now, fucker.

Now that the pisscast is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

rip in piss :(

• Locked thread