Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Bob NewSCART posted:

No one with some howa experience that could give a quick glance over the gear I've picked up? I like to have stuff prepared for the characters I play usually or at least know what I need to buy and it's tough deciding wether a piece of gear is "good enough" for howa

Link your account. The basics are to get int on everything. After that gearing is difficult (or rather expensive) because you want to get ES obviously and resists as well. Pick up WED if you can but generally damage isn't an issue so prioritize other poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Stangg posted:

What are the current "unethical" builds that would be suited for the HC league, I'm levelling a tornado shot ranger (pathfinder) at the moment as it's always served me well in the past and seems like it's pretty cheap to start mapping with but some of the new skills look quite interesting.

sure, just go CI and abuse Vinktar's, you dont need anything else (or go voltaxic poison if you aready went that route)

if you want to respec the Finder you can always go claw based poison BF (or mathil's double BF), those just need CI and nothing else expensive

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
I tried cooking up a pretty straightforward SRS necromancer since I have a +3 fire/6l staff lying around. With hatred + anger + ele equilibrium the damage was middling at best. Clears maps ok, but falls apart against bosses that are heavy on aoe because it's impossible to maintain a full swarm while keeping myself safe.

I think I'm gonna give up on trying to dethrone RF as the best cheap hc end game boss killer.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

sure, just go CI and abuse Vinktar's, you dont need anything else (or go voltaxic poison if you aready went that route)

if you want to respec the Finder you can always go claw based poison BF (or mathil's double BF), those just need CI and nothing else expensive

Isn't CI historically quite expensive to gear for, is that not the case anymore? I've been heading down the life/evasion route.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
explosive arrow is a good HC life-based build. there are ranger and marauder variants. to get the most out of it you'll still need some dosh for a kaom's heart, but there are much cheaper alternative chest armor options that will serve just fine as you get into mapping, and none of the other items should cost more than a chaos or two

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Stangg posted:

Isn't CI historically quite expensive to gear for, is that not the case anymore? I've been heading down the life/evasion route.

High end CI gear is still obscenely expensive, but really good tier stuff is far more plentiful for a number of reasons.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
To be fair, high end life gear gets pretty expensive too.

The problem is, high end life gear still gives you a lower EHP pool than even midrange CI gear, the latter of which is way cheaper.

Here's hoping there's a fix coming because I sorta like being able to mash flasks to survive in an emergency.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
CI also has VP and Ghost Reaver right next to it, the trifecta of which is super powerful.

But yeah, my CI Raider has 9k, soon to be 10k ES with only 88% ES from the tree. My life based Slayer has 150% from the tree and can't break 6k even with Koam's.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

lamentable dustman posted:

Link your account. The basics are to get int on everything. After that gearing is difficult (or rather expensive) because you want to get ES obviously and resists as well. Pick up WED if you can but generally damage isn't an issue so prioritize other poo poo.

I still need to craft some poo poo onto a few of the pieces and I can't wear some of them on the dude I already have levelled up(my BV character) so give me your ign and I'll catch you in game and shoot you a whisper

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
New ItemInfo/TradeMacro feature was added, map mod parsing:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Stangg posted:

well you were asking for the best of the best, life and evasion will get you killed super fast

also if you want to cheap out while still going CI there is always Trickster ED or Occultist Poisonstorm

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bob NewSCART posted:

I still need to craft some poo poo onto a few of the pieces and I can't wear some of them on the dude I already have levelled up(my BV character) so give me your ign and I'll catch you in game and shoot you a whisper

Why not just spam guild chat if you can't be bothered taking screenshots or text dumps

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm trying to make my own Magma Orb build because I got real bored of WI, question though, does projectile damage work okay with it? Was thinking of grabbing Brinerot Whalers because ~200ES + Light Res + Projectile Damage sounds like a sweet deal for the cost and I'm gonna have to spend most of my currency on a Presence of Chayula/Regret Orbs and other decent items. Alternatively if there's some other unique boots I've forgotten I'd love a suggestion.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah, projectile mods work fine for magma orb. It's one of the few skills that actually got a big upgrade from the 2.6 threshold jewels. If it weren't for the inevitability of reflect deaths, I'd be planning on running it instead of RF for my first 3.0 hc character.

Something I learned from screwing around with it is that with slower projectiles and enough aoe, you can double or triple hit against single targets. True to the chaining tag, each bounce is a new projectile. The damage potential is extremely high for bosses, better than any other direct damage spell I could find. Without slower projectiles it's a pretty solid pack clearer.

I was running it as a life inquisitor on pledge of hands, so the rest of your build sounds way different from mine. It's definitely a viable spell though.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Devor posted:

This would imply the first ice storm wouldn't appear until 0.85s with no cast speed buffs. The wiki for SR does say that it takes time equal to the cast speed for the beam to appear, but doesn't say that it isn't channeling. My experience stutter stepping with CWC SR makes me think you're wrong.

I confirmed it just last night via my defunct mines saboteur that had barely any cast speed. I even linked it with a curse instead of WI since those have an obvious instant effect. Linked spells don't start coming out until the ray does. Once you have a bunch of cast speed so that SR can rotate freely, it will feel fast because the ray comes out fast too.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 18, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

YoungSexualNorton posted:

Yeah, projectile mods work fine for magma orb. It's one of the few skills that actually got a big upgrade from the 2.6 threshold jewels. If it weren't for the inevitability of reflect deaths, I'd be planning on running it instead of RF for my first 3.0 hc character.

Something I learned from screwing around with it is that with slower projectiles and enough aoe, you can double or triple hit against single targets. True to the chaining tag, each bounce is a new projectile. The damage potential is extremely high for bosses, better than any other direct damage spell I could find. Without slower projectiles it's a pretty solid pack clearer.

I was running it as a life inquisitor on pledge of hands, so the rest of your build sounds way different from mine. It's definitely a viable spell though.

I'll probably grab a Slower Projectiles for swapping in on bosses. I've still barely started plotting it out properly though, wondering what Lab Enchants I should get and such. I bought a cheap +40% damage Hubris and rolled it with Alts for a bit until I got over 300 ES with Regal/Craft for now, because it was only like 6c - the cheapest +chaining enchant was 40c in comparison so I guess one of those might be a worthwhile upgrade later.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I was reading several pages back and noticed people talking about the economy and exalted orbs. Someone made a comment that a small group of people may have discovered a crafting recipe or other use for eorbs, and that they were sucking them all up.

Does that happen in this game? Recipes or other obscure mechanics will exist that simply aren't published by GGG, leaving them out there for people to randomly stumble upon (and immensely profit from)?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Most (all?) recipes aren't disclosed by GGG they just are simple enough to be found naturally pretty quickly. Some recipes, like one for a particular unique item exist for a longer time before being discovered. In theory an exalt recipe could exist, but the claims that people know what it is are dubious.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

Most (all?) recipes aren't disclosed by GGG they just are simple enough to be found naturally pretty quickly. Some recipes, like one for a particular unique item exist for a longer time before being discovered. In theory an exalt recipe could exist, but the claims that people know what it is are dubious.

God that loving sword soooo bad like what the gently caress.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You mean The Goddess Unleashed?

I don't really get the point of it having such a complicated and expensive recipe when it's not good. The only thing it's useful for is skills that ignite but aren't weapon skills or spells, so like... fire trap? But there are better trap weapons.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 18, 2017

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

McFrugal posted:

I confirmed it just last night via my defunct mines saboteur that had barely any cast speed. I even linked it with a curse instead of WI since those have an obvious instant effect. Linked spells don't start coming out until the ray does. Once you have a bunch of cast speed so that SR can rotate freely, it will feel fast because the ray comes out fast too.

Huh, how about that then.

Must feel good for me cuz I'm on an inquisitor with instruments of virtue and pious path and always have like 55% or more increased cast speed.

Good to know in any case. I wonder if it's any different with other channeling skills that come out immediately like flameblast or wither.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlWMRp3gXco

I guess this counts as HC viable and super cheap unethical endgame viable? poo poo's weird I don't know anymore

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'm leaning towards a delirium weapon build next league everyone tell me what scales it if I use shield charge.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm leaning towards a delirium weapon build next league everyone tell me what scales it if I use shield charge.

chaos and damage over time

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

McFrugal posted:

Except...my SR has a cast time of 0,39sec, so with 0,35 for the that means icestorm shouldn't appear until 0,74seconds after I click button. But using a timer and releasing RMB after holding it down for 0,4sec produces icestorm. Holding it down for about 0,7sec produces two distinct icestorms.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlWMRp3gXco

I guess this counts as HC viable and super cheap unethical endgame viable? poo poo's weird I don't know anymore

My understanding of hilarious video game memes is that unethical means double dipping, and this just looks like someone who used a dyadus and molten strike, which both got huge upgrades in 2.6, with lycosidae, which was already insanely strong.

Pretty cool though. That's dealing almost as much damage as the oro's sacrifice raider I tried to do MS with, but with like 3k more hp.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

chaos and damage over time

I saw a youtube video that seem to think it inherited modifiers that would effect the skill, like concentrated effect, minion damage/totem/projectile mods etc. Like would the raider attack damage mods work? Video was unsure as am I.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

I saw a youtube video that seem to think it inherited modifiers that would effect the skill, like concentrated effect, minion damage/totem/projectile mods etc. Like would the raider attack damage mods work? Video was unsure as am I.

it does. so if you used with the spells that let you use spell damage on DoTs that'll affect it too.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
So what is it you assholes do when PoE goes down because I am flipping the gently caress out

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Highblood posted:

So what is it you assholes do when PoE goes down because I am flipping the gently caress out

Watch playoff basketball.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
There's always the offline client to play. You might know it as Path of Building.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Valle posted:

Except...my SR has a cast time of 0,39sec, so with 0,35 for the that means icestorm shouldn't appear until 0,74seconds after I click button. But using a timer and releasing RMB after holding it down for 0,4sec produces icestorm. Holding it down for about 0,7sec produces two distinct icestorms.

Sounds like there's something weird going on with cast speed and channeled skills, perhaps Scorching Ray in particular. How do you count distinct icestorms though? Try it with something more obvious, like fireball or a curse. Once the servers come back up anyway.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it is back up

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

This game gets unannounced 600 meg patches?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
I've been playing around with this and got my SSF Firestorm/Zombie Witch up through the end of the game and started poking at maps. The map stuff is interesting but it feels like I'm slowly petering out in ability to do things after I got pasted by a few map bosses, and I'm thinking about rolling into something else. I haven't picked up many especially interesting uniques but I did find a Death's Harp and a Facebreaker, so something that used those would be nice, but I'm also not really that locked into staying SSF so I could always hop off it and buy stuff as long as it's cheap. Anyone have any suggestions?

My profile if anyone cares.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
I think you'd need to run pretty particular builds to break too far into maps with SSF. Unless you're very lucky the best you'll be running is a 5l, and hitting end game with that is a pretty rare feat even when trading for gear.

Facebreaker warchief totems might be possible as SSF but you'd be losing a huge chunk of damage with no access to +phys damage from uniques. You'd have to take it on jewelry regardless and make up life/resists elsewhere.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

whydirt posted:

There's always the offline client to play. You might know it as Path of Building.

tbh I've probably put more hours into path of building than path of exile this league (and most leagues)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm pretty sure 2H Chieftan Totemdad could clear everything outside of Guardians/Shaper as SSF without too much trouble. There are no required uniques and it can get by with a 5L up through T15s.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I rolled ele pizzatotems in SSF which works fine, the harder part of SSF is actually getting T15s to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah, that's what I mean though. You've gotta go with one of the few really high yield builds. 2h warchief and flameblast totem are pretty much the top of the list for straightforward entry level builds. It'd be hell trying to SSF the endgame on top of a build that you just kinda cooked up on your own unless you really knew what you were doing.

• Locked thread