Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

precision posted:

A lot of people I know who are around my age (30 plus) fondly remember his 90s movies and swear they're hilarious but any time I dare them to watch one with me they end up going "well it was funnier when I was a kid"

I remember thinking the first couple were the best poo poo as a kid, but was at just the right age where I morphed into a raging douchebag adolescent who refused on principle to like anything popular before The Waterboy came out, so I only fondly remember maybe two of his movies. I am currently year 36 into being a raging adolescent douchebag and look forward to whatever comes next (death?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

precision posted:

A lot of people I know who are around my age (30 plus) fondly remember his 90s movies and swear they're hilarious but any time I dare them to watch one with me they end up going "well it was funnier when I was a kid"

Billy Madison really only works when you're a teenager but Happy Gilmore still holds up. It's no masterpiece but most popular comedies don't hold up to multiple viewings.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore are still funny. And I am the one dude who actually liked Little Nicky. But the rest are meh.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I have half a season of 30 Rock left and I don't know what I'm going to do with myself when it ends.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

drunken officeparty posted:

I have half a season of 30 Rock left and I don't know what I'm going to do with myself when it ends.

Parks & Rec? Kimmy Schmidt?

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Start over

If you have Hulu a lot of Community is good, otherwise the suggestions above are probably closest you'll get, maybe The Office too.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Medullah posted:

Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore are still funny. And I am the one dude who actually liked Little Nicky. But the rest are meh.

You know, I wonder specifically what movie it was where Adam Sandler actually turned into a hack fraud. Little Nicky was the first of his movies I remember where they started the blatant "We're going to stop the movie now and have a Popeye's Chicken commercial" style product placement, but it's been a long, long time since I've seen the Waterboy and I don't remember all that much about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Call Me Charlie posted:

Billy Madison really only works when you're a teenager but Happy Gilmore still holds up. It's no masterpiece but most popular comedies don't hold up to multiple viewings.

The thing with Happy Gilmore is it actually works as a solid sports movie, its probably one of the better overall golf movies ever made. So the jokes are what they are, but I don't think any of Sandler's other movies work on that other level like Happy Gilmore does.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

You know, I wonder specifically what movie it was where Adam Sandler actually turned into a hack fraud. Little Nicky was the first of his movies I remember where they started the blatant "We're going to stop the movie now and have a Popeye's Chicken commercial" style product placement, but it's been a long, long time since I've seen the Waterboy and I don't remember all that much about it.

I wanna say Little Nicky or Mr. Deeds.

I think that Little Nicky had some interesting ideas, I like what it's trying for, but it's a mess of a movie. Mr. Deeds was just weird and everyone is a lovely person except for Deeds who starts off nice and likeable and then wins a bunch of money in the first act, and there's nowhere for the character to go. And even then, Mr. Deeds and Eight Crazy Nights came out the same year as Punch-Drunk Love.

Basebf555 posted:

The thing with Happy Gilmore is it actually works as a solid sports movie, its probably one of the better overall golf movies ever made. So the jokes are what they are, but I don't think any of Sandler's other movies work on that other level like Happy Gilmore does.

You could argue this with The Waterboy. It's interesting how trashy the aesthetic and characters of that movie are. Compared to the other Happy Madison production Joe Dirt which manages a level of sincerity with the trashiness, mainly because it's relegated to the main characters and not their surrounding world.

I think that The Wedding Singer also works as a weird pastiche of the 80's, which I like.

Looking at his filmography, Sandler seemed to do two audience-pleasers and then an interesting risky project up until Funny People. I think Funny People broke him.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The Longest Yard is the best sports movie ever made and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Anger Management was so bad that the friend whose idea it was to see it paid us all back.
I vote that one

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Looking at his filmography, Sandler seemed to do two audience-pleasers and then an interesting risky project up until Funny People. I think Funny People broke him.

Even his screwball comedies had a certain amount of genuine pathos to them that just doesn't seem to be there after I guess Click in 2006. The Water Boy, Big Daddy, Little Nicky, Mr. Deeds, 50 First Dates all at least have token attempts at some sort of humanity in the characters, with some more successful than others, but I think once he poo poo out Grown Ups and it made bank he got lazy and stopped trying to make well-rounded comedies.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Longest Yard is the best sports movie ever made and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Tin Cup is better. See you at the playground at lunch..

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

Tin Cup is better. See you at the playground at lunch..

Any Given Sunday nerds. This is now a 3 way.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Rocky

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I mean Rocky is the obvious choice but I'll fight anyone who says anything else is better then Hoosiers.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Cool Runnings best sports documentary

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Also Caddyshack, The Natural, Jerry Maguire, Major League, Friday Night Lights are all better.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

Anger Management was so bad that the friend whose idea it was to see it paid us all back.
I vote that one

Let's not forget that one of the first jokes and reoccuring jokes of Anger Management is how kids tricked a mentally handicapped girl into giving out blowjobs.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
All the men in my family who like sports have an everlasting boner for Bull Durham, so much so that I was given a vhs copy of it one Christmas when I was 10, despite having never professed any interest in sports. The back cover showed what looked like a scene with tits in it, so I was down, but then I watched it and saw no tits that I can recall, so I just used the case to hide money after that.

I'm saying Bull Durham is my bracket entry.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The original, or the Adam Sandler version? Since the conversation had been about Sandler, I'm assuming you meant that one? If so, yikes...

Parachute
May 18, 2003
The best parts of Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison are the awesome antagonists.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

The best parts of Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison are the awesome antagonists.

Shooter McGavin is the best Sandler antagonist, he's absolutely perfect.

"I eat pieces of poo poo like you for breakfast"

"You eat poo poo for breakfast?"

"NO"

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

MR. BASEBALL starring Tom Selleck is assuredly ICHI-BAN.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

The original, or the Adam Sandler version? Since the conversation had been about Sandler, I'm assuming you meant that one? If so, yikes...

I haven't seen the original because it would just taint the Good One.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Slapshot is the best (and most realistic) sports movie

actually I think it's a bit too long

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

DeathSandwich posted:

I like Happy Gilmore but he literally films a Subway commercial in the movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Guys, best sports movie is Goon.

Or Cool Runnings.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Raging Bull. Hoop Dreams for documentaries.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Goon was a pretty cool movie, but I am a Stifler mark.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Michael Corleone posted:

Goon was a pretty cool movie, but I am a Stifler mark.

Goon owns, and I don't even like sports

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Let's not forget that one of the first jokes and reoccuring jokes of Anger Management is how kids tricked a mentally handicapped girl into giving out blowjobs.

That sounds very sandleresque.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Friday Night Lights isn't the best sports movie, but it is the best movie about sports.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rocky is not a sports movie. It's a character study that has a 5 minute boxing scene at the end.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

Friday Night Lights isn't the best sports movie, but it is the best movie about sports.

See, also: North Dallas Forty

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is Radio a sports movie?

Is Flubber?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
A sports movie typically chronicles a season where we see the ups and downs of the team/athlete and then they eventually overcome adversity and win the championship(or not).

Like Rudy for instance, that's another example of a movie that has a bunch of scenes involving football but I wouldn't consider it a football movie at all. Its a story a guy who happens to love football.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Adam Sandler was ok on SNL, but I found everyone of his movies painful. The only one I liked that he starred in was Punch Drunk Love, but it was Paul Thomas Anderson that made that movie good.

Also other good sports movies The Natural, Blue Chips, The Wrestler, and The Bad News Bears (the original).

Edit: Favorite sports movie that is really not that great but I still like it, Major League.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Accident Underwater posted:

I like Happy Gilmore but he literally films a Subway commercial in the movie.

Not only do they film it but they show it uninterrupted in its entirety.

People tend to give Happy Golfman a pass since it was one of his first movies but it really is guilty of almost everything his later movies are aside from it not being in an exotic location so he can go on a vacation on the studio's dime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Not only do they film it but they show it uninterrupted in its entirety.

People tend to give Happy Golfman a pass since it was one of his first movies but it really is guilty of almost everything his later movies are aside from it not being in an exotic location so he can go on a vacation on the studio's dime.

I'm sure he got a lot of free trips/games of golf & putt putt.