Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kelp Me! posted:

Is it built-in, or ability/LB based? I remember at least Zodiark's ultimate being a flat 5-figure number (30k or 50k I think?), but I can't remember if Quickenings could as well, at least in the original NA release.

I think the cap is just removed entirely for the whole game in IZJS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kelp Me! posted:

By the way, am I the only one who was a sour-grapes Nintendo fanboy when the Playstation came out? Just endless amounts of "psh I bet it's not even that good" about FF7

until it came out on PC :haw:

actually I definitely remember "I bet a 3D FF will be terrible like those Resident Evil previews I saw" being a sour grapes gripe, which looking back is about as ridiculous as "I bet an action-oriented FF will be terrible"

I'd imagine more than a few people here weren't even born back when the Playstation came out.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've had nephews play Final Fantasy 7 and complain because the game looked like garbage. I die a little inside and just whisper to myself "you had to be there when this came out...".

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Vargatron posted:

I've had nephews play Final Fantasy 7 and complain because the game looked like garbage. I die a little inside and just whisper to myself "you had to be there when this came out...".

It does though. Almost all polygon-based fourth- and fifth-generation console games have aged like an open bottle of milk left sitting on a radiator. I can barely even make myself play PS2 games these days and I'm about to turn 35.

I hate how the time and manpower required to create huge, gorgeous games has inflated the required time and cost of development though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
FF XV is a broken-rear end mess of an open-world game that does some unique stuff and I'm glad I played it. The story was compelling and it's got one of the best endings in the franchise.

Zelda is 100% a better open-world RPG, but I'm glad I played FF XV.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Modern day games are like 40-60GB for like a 12 hour campaign. The entirety of FF7 could fit on each disc in the set and the only reason there were 3 discs was the FMVs.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dross posted:

It does though. Almost all polygon-based fourth- and fifth-generation console games have aged like an open bottle of milk left sitting on a radiator. I can barely even make myself play PS2 games these days and I'm about to turn 35.

I hate how the time and manpower required to create huge, gorgeous games has inflated the required time and cost of development though.

Good art design goes a really long way, FF10/12, SotC and MGS2/3 still look pretty drat good these days. FFXV looks good but its art design isn't especially notable, something like Persona 5 is probably gonna age much better 10 years down the line

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kelp Me! posted:

Is it built-in, or ability/LB based? I remember at least Zodiark's ultimate being a flat 5-figure number (30k or 50k I think?), but I can't remember if Quickenings could as well, at least in the original NA release.

Built-in. I think the cap in IZJS and Zodiac Age is 99,999 per hit now (if there even is a cap--I don't think you could hit 99,999 in a single hit anyway). It's why Black Mages own really hard in IZJS, because they don't hit the damage cap anymore and can compete better with combo-hitting melee fighters like Shikari and Samurai. Combine that with element-boosting staves and Black Mages are pretty badass. (And if you really want to have fun, put Reflect on everyone and self-target to nail enemies with 3 boosted spells for the price of one :black101:)

Apparently the spell animation queue is gone in Zodiac Age, too, so having multiple spellcasters on the field no longer puts them in conflict for who gets their big spells off first.

Now that I think about it, Shikari/Time Battlemage, Samurai/White Mage, and Black Mage/Foebreaker would be a pretty great team. No heavy armor (unless sub-jobs let you equip the sub-job's armor, then I'd put the Shikari in heavy armor because why not) but Bubble, Protectga, and Arise gambits can help smooth that over. I wonder what I'd do with the other three characters.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Dross posted:

It's crazy to me that ff7 was made in under a year. most games were back then, and by much smaller teams too.
e: although ff7 probably had a more modern day sized team just hammering out background art.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

^ even crazier to me is that FFX was made in less than two years.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Good art design goes a really long way, FF10/12, SotC and MGS2/3 still look pretty drat good these days. FFXV looks good but its art design isn't especially notable, something like Persona 5 is probably gonna age much better 10 years down the line

FFXII had a six year development cycle and is one of the early examples of that inflation that I'm talking about. The five year gap between X and XII was unprecedented. Prior to that, a new main series single player FF game had been released every two years or less.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The most damning thing about FF15 to me is that the next big game I played after it was HZD and it was so good and scratched the "hunt monsters in an open world with a big epic story" itch so much better that I really have a hard time seeing myself ever playing through FF15 again unless they really, really clean it up. And then Zelda and Nier:A came out, so it's like that problem triple because Sony, Nintendo, and SE themselves ate FF15's lunch.

Kelp Me! posted:

By the way, am I the only one who was a sour-grapes Nintendo fanboy when the Playstation came out? Just endless amounts of "psh I bet it's not even that good" about FF7

actually I definitely remember "I bet a 3D FF will be terrible like those Resident Evil previews I saw" being a sour grapes gripe, which looking back is about as ridiculous as "I bet an action-oriented FF will be terrible"

I was a Nintendo fanboy but had started focusing on school work in high school. Until I was over at my friend's house when he rented FF7 and I fell in love with it in the space of an hour and convinced my parents to match my summer job money to buy a PS1 and FF7 for my birthday. It was a great day for gaming and a bad day for schoolwork.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

cubicle gangster posted:

It's crazy to me that ff7 was made in under a year. most games were back then, and by much smaller teams too.
e: although ff7 probably had a more modern day sized team just hammering out background art.

A good deal of FF7's CGI movies/background and art assets were outsourced or subcontracted to various CG studios around the world. When working on the PC version, Eidos had to reverse engineer the PS1 version since they received an early beta build of the game and had no access to the game's original assets due to the scattershot nature of the game's development.

Most of the outsourcing companies went belly up over the years. With the poor state of Squaresoft's archival practices, the master copies of those assets, such as high resolution CGI, are probably lost forever.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bloodychill posted:

The most damning thing about FF15 to me is that the next big game I played after it was HZD and it was so good and scratched the "hunt monsters in an open world with a big epic story" itch so much better that I really have a hard time seeing myself ever playing through FF15 again unless they really, really clean it up. And then Zelda and Nier:A came out, so it's like that problem triple because Sony, Nintendo, and SE themselves ate FF15's lunch.

I was a Nintendo fanboy but had started focusing on school work in high school. Until I was over at my friend's house when he rented FF7 and I fell in love with it in the space of an hour and convinced my parents to match my summer job money to buy a PS1 and FF7 for my birthday. It was a great day for gaming and a bad day for schoolwork.

I was the opposite, I was good at school so my parents never cared about how much time I spent playing video games. We were somewhat poor-ish growing up though (I still cringe to think of the fact that not only did my dad wait in god-only-knows how long of a line to somehow snag me an N64 for my December birthday on the year it launched, but he did so while we were going through a period of significant financial hardship), so new systems were pretty much out of the question. I played FF7 and 8 on PC, and my parents finally bought me a sympathy PSOne when we moved and all my poo poo was packed away for 3 weeks. I didn't even care that the PS2 was already out; my first 2 games were FF9 and Chrono Cross and all sour grapes went right out the window after that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Kelp Me! posted:

Well, Resident Evil and FF7 were kind of exceptions to the general quality of early 3D console releases. They still look okay.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

FF7 looks like poo poo compared to even FF8 much less anything since.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

fridge corn posted:

Just sounds like denial to me, to say this game has a lot of problems and some are downright critical but I still like it I swear!! when it comes to a AAA game. Buggy quirkiness and questionable design decisions can be endearing in a charming little indie title but ffxv is none of those things

They can still be endearing you idiot gently caress dipshit

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dross posted:

You're a shallow idiot, friend

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm happy that we can now have internet slapfights about a different Final Fantasy game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm not, go back to dissing ff13 so i can defend mi'lady's honour

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

You don't even need to get it to 16. Because of the way magic defense works, level 9 with 70+ intelligence is enough to make it a guaranteed hit against anything that doesn't resist matter magic, and even that's overkill.

Yeah but the point was getting it to 16 to unlock the version of the matching game where you can get Masamunes and poo poo.

seiferguy posted:

I think they also fixed the weapon exploit though, which meant you could level weapon proficiency super quickly.

Sort of, but it just changes a bit to where you can equip two shields and continually attack with them and then switch to a different weapon before the end of thd battle. It feeds any exp to your current weapon, but they put in a cap of one level per battle.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 19, 2017

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mega64 posted:

I'm happy that we can now have internet slapfights about a different Final Fantasy game.

The Last Jedi looks like trash for nerds ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFVII might not look that great but it's directed really well. Cutscenes and the world at large are a helluva lot more interesting than anything in VIII.

I remember during Elentor's LP there were a lot of complaints about the Nibelheim Flashback/Cloud's Past segment and I just never understood it. I bring this up because that is a shining example of what I was just talking about. It was great storytelling that transcended graphical limitations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thing about that flashback sequence was that the other characters were like "uh well... okay..." when Cloud was "misremembering" his past. It was the first indication that maybe he wasn't all he said he could be.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVII might not look that great but it's directed really well. Cutscenes and the world at large are a helluva lot more interesting than anything in VIII.

I remember during Elentor's LP there were a lot of complaints about the Nibelheim Flashback/Cloud's Past segment and I just never understood it. I bring this up because that is a shining example of what I was just talking about. It was great storytelling that transcended graphical limitations.

People really forget just how much work the animations for those silly blocky character sprites put in when it comes to FF7's story. Lots of shaking fists and grabbing at one's heads and generally just a lot of gestures and the like. It's a very animated performance and it helps communicate characters and personalities in lieu of facial expressions.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFXIII might be bad but it has the slickest menu design out of all RPGs I've played.

Whoever came up with those animated portraits in the equipment screen deserves better

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

FFXIII might be bad but it has the slickest menu design out of all RPGs I've played.

Whoever came up with those animated portraits in the equipment screen deserves better

I see you haven't played Persona 5 yet

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How long until the FFV Job Fiesta? I haven't played FF5 before and that seems like a good way to get into it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How long until the FFV Job Fiesta? I haven't played FF5 before and that seems like a good way to get into it.

http://fourjobfiesta.com/

42 days

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah but the point was getting it to 16 to unlock the version of the matching game where you can get Masamunes and poo poo.

Which you don't really need to do anyway since Toad 16 will instantly kill anything not immune to it. Otherwise, Blood Sword with a high sword value will crush bosses and any late-game enemies with high HP, and besides that Fade/Holy will hit pretty much everything and should keep pace during the game.

One evasion tank maining swords, two mages in the back row (other than the occasional HP grind if you're not giving them both Swap), and then who cares about the fourth guy, never wear heavy armor except when your frontliner has bonkers agility and evasion levels, only grind MP and Esuna. Now the game is trivial even in the NES version.

Once you know what you're doing, I'd argue FF2 is the third-easiest mainline game after 6 and 8.

Fuckin' HYPED.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

It's already so close but still so far away...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do you get arrested if you try to play FFV during any other time of the year

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

Do you get arrested if you try to play FFV during any other time of the year

no but without the constraints of the 4jf we just grind every class to mastery and do exdeath with 2 bare two swords sshot $toss 2 mime dualcast time summon

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

seiferguy posted:

For all its flaws, it was ambitious in story telling and gameplay. I think of all the remakes, the Soul of Rebirth extra quest / dungeon using the characters that died remains my favorite addition to a remake.

The SoR dungeon is cool but holy poo poo the grind is awful. You have absolutely-not-endgame characters and all of 2 areas to level them in, with the latter being able to murder the poo poo out of you pretty easily unless you did a lot of grinding on 2-3 of the characters in the normal game.

Vargatron posted:

They looked like poo poo whey they came out. Being 3D character models and not 2D sprites was the entire wow factor but anyone who said PSX games like FF7 looked better than a sprite-based game like Legend of Mana or SotN was insane.

Then again when DQ7 came out "why is this game using 2D enemies and characters :qq:" was a complaint I kept coming across even though the sprites actually looked good, and if they wanted to complain about something valid they could've gone with the first 2-3 hours of gameplay or the fact that it's a goddamn 100 hour RPG and holy gently caress why is the main game so long what do you mean I didn't actually beat the final boss and still have a dozen plus hours to go. :gonk:

Die Sexmonster! posted:

FF XV is a broken-rear end mess of an open-world game that does some unique stuff and I'm glad I played it. The story was compelling and it's got one of the best endings in the franchise.

Zelda is 100% a better open-world RPG, but I'm glad I played FF XV.

Xenoblade Chronicles is a better open world RPG than FFXV as well. Though XC is one of the best, period, and the music is equally amazing.

Xenoblade Chronicles X, on the other hand... had some flaws.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The SoR dungeon is cool but holy poo poo the grind is awful. You have absolutely-not-endgame characters and all of 2 areas to level them in, with the latter being able to murder the poo poo out of you pretty easily unless you did a lot of grinding on 2-3 of the characters in the normal game.

There is no grind because the prince starts with Haste and Berserk high enough that you can basically one-shot the boss.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

WaltherFeng posted:

I'll defend a lot of things about FF13, but the weird moving portraits on the Equipment/Ability screens were always weird to me. Like, are there animated photos in the future? Who took these pictures or why would Sahz choose to use THAT one? Also gets really funny when you start switching bewteen multiple characters really fast.

Though the animated effects on shops were cool, so I guess it all rounds out.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Evil Fluffy posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles X, on the other hand... had some flaws.

It tried too hard to be an MMO and had a very broken leveling curve. If you wanted to do the main story exclusively, it was really easy for the encounters to way over level you. This also negatively impacted the story pacing whenever you had to go grind out mobs until you could actually kill the story boss.

I get that they wanted to deviate a bit from Xenoblade Chronicles and that it originally started out as it's own game, but there were some definite design elements that were lost in translation between the two games.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Once you know what you're doing, I'd argue FF2 is the third-easiest mainline game after 6 and 8.

If "once you know what you're doing" is a criterion then I'd argue 5 should be above 6 in that list. It's THE most abusable system, and even though you can hack and slash your way through it like any other FF game, there's a reason why there's that whole huge community centered around different kinds of restrictive challenges. The game is almost TOO easy if you

The White Dragon posted:

no but without the constraints of the 4jf we just grind every class to mastery and do exdeath with 2 bare two swords sshot $toss 2 mime dualcast time summon

Dross fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 19, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mega64 posted:

That's a super weird argument, because none of the FF games are that tough in the first place. FFX is super easy if all you know is that Tidus is the best character and you save up Summons overdrives for 9999+ spam.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dross posted:

If "once you know what you're doing" is a criterion then I'd argue 5 should be above 6 in that list. It's THE most abusable system, and even though you can hack and slash your way through it like any other FF game, there's a reason why there's that whole huge community centered around different kinds of restrictive challenges. The game is almost TOO easy if you

It takes a good chunk of the game and/or a ton of grinding to get to that point, though. Same with most of the other games in the series.

FF2 takes like midgame before you can absolutely wreck it, but that's a good chunk earlier than when most of the other games get busted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The "FF8 gets busted" point was when you could buy and refine tents not long after the first section, right?