Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Toad King posted:

Hmm, you're right.

movie's better already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Sup Charlie, what did you think of my factory :wink:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LeJackal posted:

Did you not see the clip where they lovingly animate slow motion pec-bouncing as the dumpy penguin looks on, obviously aroused as animate veins throb and pulse across a slap of animate chest-meat?

Its...hypnotically disturbing.

Link

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say that the reason that it is so heavily reliant on the images/songs/being of the original movie is because they don't have the rights to the book. Like, specifically, this film is not Tom and Jerry meet Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it is Tom and Jerry meet Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, meaning they probably, legally, aren't allowed to lift or reinterpret heretofore unadapted parts of the original text, just this one specific version of it that they have in their library.
This makes sense, coming from the Warner "ghosts are real" Brothers.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I said link! :stonk:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

http://i.imgur.com/btJubgd.mp4

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
remember how the DTV tom and jerry film with pirates and the DTV scooby doo film with pirates came out the same year

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I said link! :stonk:

I'm not canis familiaris here, my fetch game is not on point.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By the way, when I went to see The Red Turtle, I spoke with the guy at the counter and he said it had been a real coup for the theater. They'd been playing it a month and a half and only recently were audiences dropping off. My ticket was $4. God bless weird little theaters.

... might just watch this for a while....

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

So I'm looking at this on my phone and there's this weird tracer artifacting effect going on where it looks like veins are phasing after the movement and I'm thinking this is what it's like to watch Magic Mike on acid.
Since when is Joe Manganiello a penguin...?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm watching Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust as promised and goddamn its even prettier than I remember.

And also I didn't remember the short sequence of Leila slapping the poo poo of Lady McGuffington but boy howdy did I laugh when it happened. Meshsehsdhsfdhsehshsa the Man with a Wolf for a Chest is pretty great too.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 19, 2017

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It just occurred to me that the original The Tom And Jerry Movie is already the prototypical Tom And Jerry Contributing Nothing To A lovely Remake Of A Preexisting Movie, and the movie they were shittily remaking was The Rescuers, but they didn't have the rights to it so they had to pretend it was an actual distinct movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I'm watching Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust as promised and goddamn its even prettier than I remember.

And also I didn't remember the short sequence of Leila slapping the poo poo of Lady McGuffington but boy howdy did I laugh when it happened. Meshsehsdhsfdhsehshsa the Man with a Wolf for a Chest is pretty great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKDGBm4AHhE

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Build-a-Boar posted:

There's also this part of the movie which is so bizarre and out of nowhere:

This is deeply unsettling to me. Seriously, the most unsettling thing I've seen in this thread so far.

I have no idea why.

I was serious with the Spider-Man animated movie question though. Sometimes the Spider-Man stuff has good animation with acrobatics and whatnot. :v: I understand if it's a no though.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Das Boo posted:

So I'm looking at this on my phone and there's this weird tracer artifacting effect going on where it looks like veins are phasing after the movement and I'm thinking this is what it's like to watch Magic Mike on acid.
Since when is Joe Manganiello a penguin...?

An artifact of the bad quality, I guess. Or the gif process. Who knows.

Also, WWE has been making some weird business partners lately is since when.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea, I saw a Jetsons WWE dvd in Walmart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are so many good bits; the resting house blending but not quite into the background, Maier's bridge walk, Sexy Candle Mountain (tm), goopy blood body, and the random one off bit where you learn that a vampires clothes are in fact a physical part of them they heal just like any other.

As stated earlier I'm also an unbelievable sucker for Baroque nobles with rocketship castles in space and this film delivers

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

There are so many good bits; the resting house blending but not quite into the background, Maier's bridge walk, Sexy Candle Mountain (tm), goopy blood body, and the random one off bit where you learn that a vampires clothes are in fact a physical part of them they heal just like any other.

As stated earlier I'm also an unbelievable sucker for Baroque nobles with rocketship castles in space and this film delivers

I really love VHD Bloodlust.

Cels from this film are like $40 for a good one (as low as $7 for a meh one and $12 for a solid one), there's literally no excuse not to own some.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThermoPhysical posted:

This is deeply unsettling to me. Seriously, the most unsettling thing I've seen in this thread so far.

I have no idea why.

Randomly, have you ever seen the art of Zdzislaw Beksinski?

http://www.boredpanda.com/10-facts-you-should-know-about-zdzisław-beksi&%23324;ski-and-a-huge-selection-of-his-works-in-hq/

Potentially NSFW and a little nightmare inducing so don't click if you're sitting in the dark

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Here's Carmilla from the back for ten loving dollars.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What, and miss her best features???

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

What, and miss her best features???

Here's her naked bloody tits for $50.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Crazy Ferret posted:

There actually is a bat character that got cut from the film. He shows up in the art book and strangely as a toy with Clawhauser.

Yes, and that's precisely why my mind immediately went to "bat" when coming up with a fourth member of that clique.

Artbook even features the little fella wearing a Batman T-shirt, which likely wouldn't have flown in the film proper had they not cut the character/model out entirely.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Avshalom posted:

is there anywhere i can watch all these cool anime movies online, netflix doesn't have them (at least australian netflix doesn't) and i like to get my movies legitimately if possible
reposting for new page because i'm suddenly craving anime (i have literally not watched a second of anime since four episodes into the original fulmetal alchemist back in 2005)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Avshalom posted:

reposting for new page because i'm suddenly craving anime (i have literally not watched a second of anime since four episodes into the original fulmetal alchemist back in 2005)

Crunchyroll. Not sure what their Australian selection is, though.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Crunchyroll doesn't really do movies, do they? I thought they just did series

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Actually, what are the odds we'll ever get 4k remasters for poo poo like Bloodlust?

I know something like Evangelion will eventually do it, since it's a money-printing machine. But smaller stufF?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
yeah crunchyroll is only series when i look at it :(

i've signed up anyway, my heart knows what it wants lol

edited because of fake news

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 19, 2017

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

someone awful. posted:

Whooops, kinda missed the word "movies" there.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Avshalom posted:

Not a movie, but Tatami Galaxy. Really frantic animation with an interesting style and structure.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i watched two films this week: the boxtrolls and treasure planet. the boxtrolls criticism seemed to me to be vastly overblown, and i thought Grickle did an excellent job directing it. no it's not the greatest story but it's really well told, and I think I can give films a pass in that regard. because treasure planet is classic literature that is NOT told well, and that was NOWHERE NEAR as captivating.

what's weird about treasure planet is that the first half of the film is really watchable with exciting cinematography and action, and a fantastically animated comic relief character:

who stole the show of that first half. but then the second half is so poorly done, and throws in a THIRD UNNECESSARY COMIC RELIEF CHARACTER, and it's so transparent that they clearly wanted Robin Williams to play him and settled for Martin Short, that it upends the first half and leaves it a mess on the floor. the captain character is rendered immobile for the second half of the film so that Dr Dogman can woo her instead of the two continuing to have that really fun back and forth when they first meet.

also Jim??? can we talk about Jim?? is there a blander film protagonist than Jim "Anakin" Hawkins? whose character depth is "I'M A SULKY TEEN" and we already had Max from A Goofy Movie and his story was a lot more relatable to the viewer than "I get in trouble a lot but I want to be rich"

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 19, 2017

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Actually, what are the odds we'll ever get 4k remasters for poo poo like Bloodlust?

I know something like Evangelion will eventually do it, since it's a money-printing machine. But smaller stufF?

In this case, it's way more likely for Bloodlust.

Evangelion (except for EoE) was shot on 16 mm. Bloodlust was done on 35 mm IIRC.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hedrigall posted:

Then Pierre and Lewis secretly hope that Wes Anderson will make everything better for them too :unsmith:

Roald Dahl has poo poo taste in movies if he didn't like Willy Wonka because of Gene Wilder. I've found that generally, if authors really dislike an adaptation, there's a higher likelihood that it's actually good. Willy Wonka is example number one, but Stephen King didn't like The Shining, and I guess the Tolkein estate had issues with the Peter Jackson trilogy which seems dumb.

FilthyImp posted:

Eva will get an HD version shortly after the last of the rebuild movies does, so probably sometime after 2092.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

someone awful. posted:

They have a couple. If you want a cheesy 80s "alien on a ship" movie there's LILYCAT

Also I think they have Voices of a Distant Star and that guy's other movies

e: i'm going to be on vacation watching a lot of anime/animation over the next 2 weeks so i'll be back with plenty of opinions, but none of them hateful i like to be a positive person. i mean i know i just dunked on jim hawkins but i still liked stuff about treasure planet

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 19, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Lilycat is an awesome Alien/the Thing ripoff. Especially with the super cheesy dub. It does the 80's and 90's early dub thing where the translation is really wordy so the VAs have to say 200 words a minute without breathing.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 19, 2017

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
well i just watched angel's egg and let me tell you - story of my life.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Build-a-Boar posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but all the people in this movie look like they were drawn from referencing people in Pinocchio (except above is just an example of someone who doesn't know how to draw)

Well, you know what they say: If you gotta steal, steal from the best.

Robindaybird posted:

This is something I notice with ALL Tim Burton's movies, even the stuff that's considered unequivocally good - there's this kind of sterileness in the direction and set that keeps the audience at arm's reach from the characters and actions.

Sounds like someone hasn't seen Ed Wood.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
It's me. I'm the one who refuses to watch subtitled anything cause I want to watch my movie, not read it damnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
avs you should watch naoki urasawa's monster

everyone should, really