Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

twistedbutterfly posted:

There is Jack Frost,the weird security mascot from Shinjuku, the Big Bang Burger face, a sheep from Catherine, and one other weird rabbit/animal keychain thing. I am unsure where the last one comes from.

Ah, nice. I only have the first 3, so I definitely missed some then.

I also spent way too long on the gashapon machine even though that doesn't really get you much of anything. I just wanted to see all the ridiculous pun names they could come up with. The trade rewards sure aren't worth it, except maybe the Model Gun for use with the Electric Chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

twistedbutterfly posted:

the weird security mascot from Shinjuku

What's that thing about, anyway? I kept expecting it to feature in a later target's cognition but it never did. Is it a reference to some other game?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Someone might've posted this before, but if anyone's interested in a DLC costume gallery, here's one at Persona Central. There are party member spoilers within, so be aware of that if you're worried about spoilers.

One thing that kind of amuses me: they gave Jun's outfit in the Persona 2 DLC to Akechi, not Yusuke, who already resembles Jun really closely. I can kinda understand why, given Jun's role in the story, but it still feels like a missed opportunity.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm still riding the SMT wave so I started up Digital Devil Saga since I still have never gotten anywhere past the first dungeon in that game and would love to experience it and the sequel finally.

It's funny because it's bizarrely liberating that I don't have to worry about recruiting demons or think about fusion at all. Of course, DDS' skill tree system is a whole other bag of crazy (at least on the surface).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm still riding the SMT wave so I started up Digital Devil Saga since I still have never gotten anywhere past the first dungeon in that game and would love to experience it and the sequel finally.

It's funny because it's bizarrely liberating that I don't have to worry about recruiting demons or think about fusion at all. Of course, DDS' skill tree system is a whole other bag of crazy (at least on the surface).

The first DDS also has a character who's completely useless except in one highly specific circumstance, so you don't need to worry about keeping everyone in your party equal either.

Note that this is not at all the case in the sequel.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Eat. Everyone.

Use ailments, beat enemies down to low HP, brute force devour them if you have to. But don't stop eating. You cannot escape your hunger.

Also invest everyone in the magic skill path that they are weak to; the end of those paths is where you can get immunity skills for your weaknesses, which are useful for all but the super bonus boss.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Any advice for the baseball mini game?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The advice my boyfriend gave me based on how he remembers doing things regarding characters:

Serph: 99 Magic, ignore everything else. Fire & Ice focus.
Argilla: Earth & Healing, perhaps also grabbing a spare element Ma-dyne spell.
Heat: Let's Get Physical

Everyone Else: gently caress them who cares your OG squad is the best.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Harrow posted:

Someone might've posted this before, but if anyone's interested in a DLC costume gallery, here's one at Persona Central. There are party member spoilers within, so be aware of that if you're worried about spoilers.

Why is there so much DLC for a guy who joins you for one dungeon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Why is there so much DLC for a guy who joins you for one dungeon

They did put a lot of work into his costumes given that. At least they aren't sold separately :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

One thing that kind of amuses me: they gave Jun's outfit in the Persona 2 DLC to Akechi, not Yusuke, who already resembles Jun really closely. I can kinda understand why, given Jun's role in the story, but it still feels like a missed opportunity.

Too much clothes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are the P4 Dancing All Night costumes original costumes? I didn't play Dancing All Night but none of those look very Persona 4.

They're pretty rad, though, especially Morgana's sweet clown wig.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Harrow posted:

Are the P4 Dancing All Night costumes original costumes? I didn't play Dancing All Night but none of those look very Persona 4.

... they're from Dancing All Night. Hence them being Dancing All Night costumes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think Makoto's says "Queen" on it so I'm gonna say they're P4DAN-inspired, but not taken straight from the source.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Supremezero posted:

... they're from Dancing All Night. Hence them being Dancing All Night costumes.

Who wears them, though? I looked at a Dancing All Night costume gallery and I don't see them, unless they were left out I guess? I was wondering if they were from Dancing All Night or just inspired by that game.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 19, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Don't play it, it's not worth it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

The first DDS also has a character who's completely useless except in one highly specific circumstance, so you don't need to worry about keeping everyone in your party equal either.

Note that this is not at all the case in the sequel.

Just bench Cielo, you'll never grind five party members.

Don't do this for DDS2 though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Heat Best DDS Boy, never not use Heat

Harrow posted:

Nah, they're Dancing All Night inspired, if P5 characters were in Dancing All Night

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NRVNQSR posted:

Don't play it, it's not worth it.

This is for the achievement on a ng+ run.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Uh, put the shadow of the bat over the shadow of the ball and then hit it? You should get the trophy in one try if you have any coordination at all.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Saint Freak posted:

Uh, put the shadow of the bat over the shadow of the ball and then hit it? You should get the trophy in one try if you have any coordination at all.

You don't get home runs by doing that. You need to hit it at an angle.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
This game's many days where your cat won't let you do anything at night really piss me off. I'm kind of burned out at the start of the true end and I'm really disappointed five went this little way in an otherwise nice game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Mo' Mentos, Mo' Problems

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Bogart posted:

Mo' Mentos, Mo' Money

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Do you guys think that the Reaper Despair trick is something that the devs knew about ahead of time? Do you think it will be patched in future iterations of the game?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Do you guys think that the Reaper Despair trick is something that the devs knew about ahead of time? Do you think it will be patched in future iterations of the game?

It's possible. They took a hammer to the Contrarian King trick in Persona 4 Golden, from what I understand.

(Go into the second-last dungeon on your own with a Persona that NULLS Phys, and find a Shadow encounter that is a pair of Contrarian Kings. All they do is spawn Cherubs, so if you equip a weak weapon and turn on auto-battle, they'll just keep on feeding Cherubs to the Protagonist endlessly without being a danger to him. Leave the game alone for 40-50 minutes, come back, wipe out the Kings with spells or whatever and enjoy your whopping XP reward).

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

You want the top edge of the bat to hit the bottom edge of the ball. It will take a few tries so save before you go in and reload when you fail.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I sure how they don't fix confusing Memetos bosses giving you a fuckload of cash because it'll make grinding cash in this game hellish

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You could do it in the Japanese version so if they were going to, they would have pre-launch

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd really like a version of the Merciless difficulty mode without the severely lessened EXP/money gain. The idea of normal attacks doing much less damage but weakness/critical/technical hits doing lots more damage is actually kind of cool and would make me even more likely to value status effects.

Maybe to avoid the whole "just getting crit and dying immediately in a battle" thing just make it so Joker endures with 1 HP if he gets taken down from 90% or more HP in one turn or something like that. I don't think that would kill the difficulty too badly. (Or, uh, just ditch the "if the protagonist reaches 0 HP it's game over" thing, especially since we establish that going down in battle is not dying and all of your pals can get right back up with a single revive item without missing a beat. If I had one complaint about Persona 5 it's that they keep hanging onto that for some reason.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 19, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wish granted. All enemies will now also use exclusively multi-hit moves.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Terper posted:

Wish granted. All enemies will now also use exclusively multi-hit moves.

God drat it I was warned about monkey paws :negative:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I beat Palace 7 and there are exams?? Does this mean my last chance for links was actually before the exams? I'm assuming there's one more dungeon (Mementos, I suppose) after this.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Your last day to do social stuff is 12/23, I believe.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I dunno which thread this would fall under but has anyone spoken about the TV World vs The Metaverse vs Tartarus if they're all the same thing or different twists of the same phenomena?

P5 and P4 seem more closely linked with Shadow Selves and Palaces. P3 seems like the outlier here.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ChaosArgate posted:

Your last day to do social stuff is 12/23, I believe.
It's actually the 22nd.

Though, while this is true, it seems kind of deceptive since you'd think it means you can do stuff the 21st, 20th, etc. Besides the 22nd, the last full day to do things is the 17th, though you get night on the 19th for whatever reason.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 19, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harlock posted:

P5 and P4 seem more closely linked with Shadow Selves and Palaces. P3 seems like the outlier here.

(Gonna tag spoilers for all three games because I know some people in this thread haven't played Persona 3 or 4 and might do so after playing 5.)

If anything, I think Persona 3 and 5 are more closely linked. In both, the other world warps real-life locations rather than existing totally separately from the physical world. The difference is how you get there (either by being able to remain conscious during a specific time, or by having a magical navigator phone app). They even have something in common as to how they came to be: they're the result of a mixture of humans experimenting with powers from humanity's collective unconsciousness and the influence of a pseudo-deity that also arose from humanity's collective unconsciousness. In 3, the Dark Hour occurs because the Kirijo Group experimented on shadows and hosed up, which incidentally called Nyx (albeit in fragmented form). In 5, the Metaverse is there because of Yalbadaoth's influence, and most of the game's events occur because humans experimented with it.

In Persona 4, the other world was always there and will continue to be there no matter what the protagonists do. What you do is to help restore it to its former state, instead of the warped state that it's in because of Izanami plus humanity's collective desire for distraction.

The main difference between Persona 1 and 2 and the games after 3 is that in 1 and 2, something happens that allows (or some entity's interference allows) humanity's collective unconsciousness to warp the real world directly. In 3, 4, and 5, it warps a separate world that affects the real world more indirectly.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 19, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I sure how they don't fix confusing Memetos bosses giving you a fuckload of cash because it'll make grinding cash in this game hellish

There's one of the Mementos bosses (the husband in the husband-and-wife double fight) who only gives 1 Yen, every time. They must have hardcoded that, which means they must have known about the absurd amounts of money all the other ones spit out.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Instant Grat posted:

There's one of the Mementos bosses (the husband in the husband-and-wife double fight) who only gives 1 Yen, every time. They must have hardcoded that, which means they must have known about the absurd amounts of money all the other ones spit out.

On the other hand that makes sense given the story surrounding that fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Uh maybe I'm thinking of a different one but in the double fight with the fairy king and queen whose names I can't remember I confused the guy and he was dropping like 30k every time.