Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I will say that Marta is great fun for many kids because train and you can see the world whizzing by. (This is also why Atlanta's airport trams are the best, because you can sit in the front and watch.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is the other founder still involved with the company? The one from Canada

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Subjunctive posted:

How do they differ from Lyft? Are their drivers employees?

Yes, with benefits, if you drive with them exclusively, and half the stock in the company is reserved for drivers, so it's a semi-co-op. For those who are contract, they only take 10% as opposed to the 20 or 25 that uber or lyft does. As far as I understand it, their whole idea is to poach the top rated drivers from the other two companies by not treating them like poo poo.

The problem as I understand it is they don't have enough volume to hire as many drivers full time as they should. Most of the Juno drivers i've talked to aren't employees because they still need to take Uber and Lyft fares to fill out the day, but they do make more money per ride with Juno. I'm hoping they survive long enough for Uber to collapse or throw a tantrum and pull out of NYC. Which should be any day now, really.

this article sums it up reasonably well: http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/08/22/490655700/uber-competitor-in-nyc-promises-drivers-benefits-even-employee-status

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yes, with benefits, if you drive with them exclusively, and half the stock in the company is reserved for drivers, so it's a semi-co-op. For those who are contract, they only take 10% as opposed to the 20 or 25 that uber or lyft does. As far as I understand it, their whole idea is to poach the top rated drivers from the other two companies by not treating them like poo poo.

The problem as I understand it is they don't have enough volume to hire as many drivers full time as they should. Most of the Juno drivers i've talked to aren't employees because they still need to take Uber and Lyft fares to fill out the day, but they do make more money per ride with Juno. I'm hoping they survive long enough for Uber to collapse or throw a tantrum and pull out of NYC. Which should be any day now, really.

this article sums it up reasonably well: http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/08/22/490655700/uber-competitor-in-nyc-promises-drivers-benefits-even-employee-status

it amuses me how uber throws its weight around as if it were already a monopoly. i guess it just shows how spineless politicos are that it actually works sometimes

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Condiv posted:

it amuses me how uber throws its weight around as if it were already a monopoly. i guess it just shows how spineless politicos are that it actually works sometimes

Politicos aren't afraid of Uber. They're afraid of Uber's investors.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So the US government decided not to revoke Theranos' license to operate a blood clinic, after settling with the company over their violations. They agreed to pay a $30,000 fine and accept a two year ban from operating a testing clinic. So they would be eligible to start opening clinics again in 2019 if they wanted to.

http://www.businessinsider.com/theranos-settles-with-cms-for-30000-2017-4

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Friends in high places!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Make quackery great again.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FlamingLiberal posted:

So the US government decided not to revoke Theranos' license to operate a blood clinic, after settling with the company over their violations. They agreed to pay a $30,000 fine and accept a two year ban from operating a testing clinic. So they would be eligible to start opening clinics again in 2019 if they wanted to.

http://www.businessinsider.com/theranos-settles-with-cms-for-30000-2017-4
Before I'm outraged, I'd like the maximum fine the CMS is actually entitled to levy. I know that the fines OSHA is permitted to levy are surprisingly small.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

While the fact that they're getting let off with a fine is troubling, I'm not too worried about them restarting operations. Their blowout was too public, I don't think any VC will touch them again.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This is separate from any FDA action, I assume.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shooting Blanks posted:

While the fact that they're getting let off with a fine is troubling, I'm not too worried about them restarting operations. Their blowout was too public, I don't think any VC will touch them again.

Yeah having their main business shut down for 2 years plus the temporary shutdowns last year is a pretty bad situation for them.

They were supposedly going to pivot to selling blood test machines to other people, but who'd trust that?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It isnt just that they've been shut down, but they have no professional credibility given the fraudulent nature of their business previously, and the fact that every investor they had got screwed. That name is a four letter word in technology now, and actual biotech investors know better as well. The chance that they will return is miniscule.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shooting Blanks posted:

It isnt just that they've been shut down, but they have no professional credibility given the fraudulent nature of their business previously, and the fact that every investor they had got screwed. That name is a four letter word in technology now, and actual biotech investors know better as well. The chance that they will return is miniscule.
I agree, but considering the level of fraud it's amazing they didn't lose their license

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I agree, but considering the level of fraud it's amazing they didn't lose their license

There's still plenty of time for that. CMS controls their licensing as a blood lab, but the FDA has separate jurisdiction over their ability to manufacture / sell / market anything whatsoever. The FDA is also much, much more likely to sink its teeth into Theranos, given the number of 483s they've issued against the company already.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Let's all remember that the Theranos board now includes the Secretary of Defense

Not that i'm implying that has any relation here to what's happened, no sir

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Arizona seems crankier than the US government

ArsTechnica posted:

Theranos, Inc., the infamous and embattled blood-testing company, has agreed to pay the state of Arizona more than $4.65 million dollars in consumer restitution for blood tests that were allegedly misrepresented and, in some cases, voided.

The agreement, announced Tuesday by Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich’s office, comes after Brnovich alleged that Theranos’ advertisements in the state “misrepresented, omitted, and concealed material information regarding its testing service’s methodology, accuracy, reliability, and essential purpose,” the consent judgement reads. The state also alleged that Theranos was out of compliance with federal regulators.

Theranos denies any wrongdoing but agreed to pay to avoid a trial.

As part of the agreement, Theranos will pay out $4,652,000 in full refunds to all customers who purchased tests between 2013 and 2016. That includes approximately 175,940 Arizona consumers who ordered about 1.5 million blood tests yielding around 7.8 million results. About 10 percent of those results were later voided by the company, the court documents indicate.

Theranos will pay $200,000 in civil penalties, $25,000 in attorneys’ fees, and the costs for a claims administrator to dole out the refunds. The company is also prohibited from owning, operating, or directing a lab in the state for two years.

“This is a great result and a clear message that Arizona’s consumer protection laws will be vigorously enforced,” Brnovich said in a press release.

The deal is yet another blow to the company, which has shifted to device manufacturing following federal sanctions linked to technical and operational problems at its labs. The company is currently facing several other lawsuits, including ones from investors, as well as investigations from federal regulators.

The company is recently said to only have $150 million on hand, despite once being valued at $9 billion. Last month, The Wall Street Journal reported that Theranos founder and CEO Elizabeth Holmes was offering to give investors her personal shares of the company for free if they agreed not to sue.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Bates posted:

Last month, The Wall Street Journal reported that Theranos founder and CEO Elizabeth Holmes was offering to give investors her personal shares of the company for free if they agreed not to sue.

That has to be the worst deal I've ever heard of.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Uber.jpg

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

That has to be the worst deal I've ever heard of.

"Zoidberg owns 51% of the company?"

"The shares were worthless, and he kept asking for toilet paper!"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Juicero news

quote:

Doug Evans, the company’s founder, would compare himself with Steve Jobs in his pursuit of juicing perfection. He declared that his juice press wields four tons of force—“enough to lift two Teslas,” he said. Google’s venture capital arm and other backers poured about $120 million into the startup. Juicero sells the machine for $400, plus the cost of individual juice packs delivered weekly. Tech blogs have dubbed it a “Keurig for juice.”

But after the product hit the market, some investors were surprised to discover a much cheaper alternative: You can squeeze the Juicero bags with your bare hands. Two backers said the final device was bulkier than what was originally pitched and that they were puzzled to find that customers could achieve similar results without it. Bloomberg performed its own press test, pitting a Juicero machine against a reporter’s grip. The experiment found that squeezing the bag yields nearly the same amount of juice just as quickly—and in some cases, faster—than using the device.

Juicero declined to comment. A person close to the company said Juicero is aware the packs can be squeezed by hand but that most people would prefer to use the machine because the process is more consistent and less messy. The device also reads a QR code printed on the back of each produce pack and checks the source against an online database to ensure the contents haven’t expired or been recalled, the person said. The expiration date is also printed on the pack.
But after the product’s introduction last year, at least two Juicero investors were taken aback after finding the packs could be squeezed by hand. They also said the machine was much bigger than what Evans had proposed. One of the investors said they were frustrated with how the company didn’t deliver on the original pitch and that their venture firm wouldn’t have met with Evans if he were hawking bags of juice that didn’t require high-priced hardware. Juicero didn’t broadly disclose to investors or employees that packs can be hand squeezed, said four people with knowledge of the matter.

E: sorry about broken link

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 19, 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
You know what else can be hand squeezed? loving fruit!

That's pretty funny though.

Also you have an extra 'l' on the end of the article link.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

I'm not sure which is stupider: this, or that grilled cheese maker that got a bunch of capital. It's probably this though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mozi posted:

Also you have an extra 'l' on the end of the article link.

"squeezel" is a cool name for a new juicing startup that doesn't require $400 hardware to make juice

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Wait, so the Juicero doesn't even press fresh fruit? It's just using some prepackaged garbage bullshit? Why would someone willingly pay $400+ for a machine to squeeze essentially Naked Juice out of a package and into your cup?

If I wanted that, I'd buy a big bottle of Naked Juice and just pour it into a cup myself and save myself money.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

If I wanted that, I'd buy a big bottle of Naked Juice and just pour it into a cup myself and save myself money.

Sorry, I'm not seeing the disruption in this business plan?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They literally sell a machine that adds nothing?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Wait, so the Juicero doesn't even press fresh fruit? It's just using some prepackaged garbage bullshit? Why would someone willingly pay $400+ for a machine to squeeze essentially Naked Juice out of a package and into your cup?

Yeah, aren't these the kinds of questions that should be asked by investors and answered before the checkbooks come out? Or does all skepticism and critical thinking go flying out the window nowadays once they hear "home delivery" and "wifi connectivity" in the pitch?

Speaking of kitchen appliances with unnecessary internet connectivity:

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/854204492342075392

I can't possibly imagine this turning out poorly!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yeah, aren't these the kinds of questions that should be asked by investors and answered before the checkbooks come out? Or does all skepticism and critical thinking go flying out the window nowadays once they hear "home delivery" and "wifi connectivity" in the pitch?

Speaking of kitchen appliances with unnecessary internet connectivity:

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/854204492342075392

I can't possibly imagine this turning out poorly!

There is exactly one reason why I would want this, and it would be to start pre-heating my oven when I buy a Papa Murphy's pizza before I get home.

There are many, many reasons why I do not want this in reality, and several of them boil down to 'hackers running the oven to run up my power bill and/or burn down my house". I'll pass.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

aware of dog posted:

I'm not sure which is stupider: this, or that grilled cheese maker that got a bunch of capital. It's probably this though.
That automatic Indian bread maker looks pretty dope though: https://rotimatic.com/

Dunno if it's worth that much cost + space for something that only does one thing...but I do love rotis.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

As a general rule I don't want stuff that could easily burn down my house without an electrical failure controlled by any kind of complicated OS and absolutely not one that is remotely accessible.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cicero posted:

That automatic Indian bread maker looks pretty dope though: https://rotimatic.com/

Dunno if it's worth that much cost + space for something that only does one thing...but I do love rotis.

(shakes head) Those rotis aren't brown enough.

e: Reading between the lines on the DisruptoJuicinator story, it sounds a lot like the squeeze press turned out not to be all that and what they're actually shipping in the packets is nearly pre-pureed.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 19, 2017

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

As a general rule I don't want stuff that could easily burn down my house without an electrical failure controlled by any kind of complicated OS and absolutely not one that is remotely accessible.

I'm having a hard time imagining a kitchen appliance that can be improved with remote internet accessibility. Anything that can burn things requires personal attention, and things like coffee makers, dishwashers and slow cookers have been controlled by pre-set timers for years now.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I wish I could have the type of life where the main issue is "I am too lazy to buy juice in the store, or a juicer and fruit, even", so a $400 juice keurig sounds appealing

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Juicero news

E: sorry about broken link

This is the most Silicon Valley of all VC companies.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(shakes head) Those rotis aren't brown enough.

e: Reading between the lines on the DisruptoJuicinator story, it sounds a lot like the squeeze press turned out not to be all that and what they're actually shipping in the packets is nearly pre-pureed.

Really what Juicero is in the business of is making mad profit on horrendously expensive juice packs - individual packs make 8 ounces of juice and are priced from $5 to $8 depending on the particular blend, with most being $7. They also heavily push a subscription service which reduce the pack cost slightly - but I think originally you couldn't even get any of the packs without a subscription that was minimum 5 packs a week.

Anyway, having the fruit and veg being squeezed already heavily cut up and stuff is the point of the "cold-squeezed" fad - the normal way to do it is you dice it all up before placing it under a heavy press to squeeze all the juice out. And since it's generally sold with no pasteurization, it has to be made fresh to legally be sold in most places.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining a kitchen appliance that can be improved with remote internet accessibility.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRPCPEC

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining a kitchen appliance that can be improved with remote internet accessibility. Anything that can burn things requires personal attention, and things like coffee makers, dishwashers and slow cookers have been controlled by pre-set timers for years now.

I would kill for a web enabled fridge that can tell me its contents etc for when I'm out grocery shopping.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

w00tmonger posted:

I would kill for a web enabled fridge that can tell me its contents etc for when I'm out grocery shopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

This sort of exists. Samsung makes a fridge with a webcam so that you can see what's on the shelves.

I prefer this new-fangled kitchen accessory:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 19, 2017