Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Just rewatched the original Beauty and the Beast for the first time in a while. I didn't pick up on it before, but the prologue says the beast had "until his 21st year" to find true love, and then later during "Be Our Guest" Lumiere says "for ten years we've been waiting." Which means the beast was cursed when he was 11 years old.

Nice going, fairy princess. You tormented a child and a castle full of innocents for a decade because an 11 year old snubbed you. The real villain of the film? The fairy who did the curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

Just rewatched the original Beauty and the Beast for the first time in a while. I didn't pick up on it before, but the prologue says the beast had "until his 21st year" to find true love, and then later during "Be Our Guest" Lumiere says "for ten years we've been waiting." Which means the beast was cursed when he was 11 years old.

Nice going, fairy princess. You tormented a child and a castle full of innocents for a decade because an 11 year old snubbed you. The real villain of the film? The fairy who did the curse.

I don't remember any of that from the original.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Well I believe it says in the open that it 'would bloom until his 21st year' and he had 'until the last petal fell' so there is some kind of time span between turning 21 and the deadline. No idea what that would be.

As an addendum, 11 was considered pretty mature in regards to nobility, servants were considered extensions of their lords person, etc.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

LeJackal posted:

Well I believe it says in the open that it 'would bloom until his 21st year' and he had 'until the last petal fell' so there is some kind of time span between turning 21 and the deadline. No idea what that would be.

I'll buy that. Sure. Cuz the beast seems like he's in his 30s or even 40s.

It doesn't explain why the townsfolk have no memory or legends about a castle inhabited by a beast that has been cursed not earlier than ten years previously.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Robindaybird posted:

This is something I notice with ALL Tim Burton's movies, even the stuff that's considered unequivocally good - there's this kind of sterileness in the direction and set that keeps the audience at arm's reach from the characters and actions.

What I'm taking away from this whole conversation is that Tim Burton essentially makes live-action anime

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Went to see Your Name and enjoyed it. I didn't know anything about the plot except the body-swapping thing, so I was pretty surprised about where the story went. There are some moments I wish weren't in the film (like the third/fourth/fifth boob-grab or the panty shot), but it seemed like a solid story and the visuals were beautiful.

I do have to say, though, that the anime films I've seen over the past few years are that, When Marnie Was There (loved it, became a big Priscilla Ahn fan), Paprika, and Perfect Blue. So, I'm pretty ready for a straightforward story without time travel or weird mindfuckery at this point, goddamn.

Edit: I feel like some of these suggestions are not entirely sincere.

Second edit: Thank you all for the recommendations!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 21, 2017

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Watch Tokyo Godfathers, it has zero fantastical elements and is also extremely good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

surf rock posted:

So, I'm pretty ready for a straightforward story without time travel or weird mindfuckery at this point, goddamn.

The lower key Ghibli movies are pretty good for this. Only Yesterday, Whispers of the Heart, and probably Ocean Waves although I haven't seen it yet. Whispers of the Heart is pretty chill.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Watch Mind Game, a guy gets fatally shot in the butt and outruns God for a second shot at life.

e: this isn't directed at "want something simpler" guy, this is just general life advice

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 19, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

surf rock posted:

Went to see Your Name and enjoyed it. I didn't know anything about the plot except the body-swapping thing, so I was pretty surprised about where the story went. There are some moments I wish weren't in the film (like the third/fourth/fifth boob-grab or the panty shot), but it seemed like a solid story and the visuals were beautiful.

I do have to say, though, that the anime films I've seen over the past few years are that, When Marnie Was There (loved it, became a big Priscilla Ahn fan), Paprika, and Perfect Blue. So, I'm pretty ready for a straightforward story without time travel or weird mindfuckery at this point, goddamn.

A Silent Voice :p

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

surf rock posted:

Belladonna of Sadness. :troll:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Troposphere posted:

avs you should watch naoki urasawa's monster

everyone should, really

This is very important and doesn't belong at the bottom of the last page. But why oh why is it SO HARD TO FIND NOW?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

surf rock posted:

Edit: I feel like some of these suggestions are not entirely sincere.

A Jewish Girl in Shanghai.

Then watch any of the roughly 5 billion Monkey King movies and youll have watched 90% of chinese media plots.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Das Boo posted:

This is very important and doesn't belong at the bottom of the last page. But why oh why is it SO HARD TO FIND NOW?

The DVD release was cancelled after the first volume and it was taken off of iTunes. Probably the only place a lot of people have seen the dub in its entirety is it's run on Sci Fi. I tracked it down to rewatch and I need to get back to watching it.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Here it is

The worst dub

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Flaccid Trip posted:

Here it is

The worst dub

Unironically one of my favorite movies growing up and I watched it constantly. Only later did I learn its terrible secret...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Crazy Ferret posted:

Unironically one of my favorite movies growing up and I watched it constantly. Only later did I learn its terrible secret...
I had to look this up, and...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausica%C3%A4_of_the_Valley_of_the_Wind_(film)#Warriors_of_the_Wind

quote:

Dissatisfied with Warriors of the Wind, Miyazaki adopted a strict "no-edits" clause for further foreign releases of Studio Ghibli's films.[17] On hearing Miramax co-chairman Harvey Weinstein would attempt to edit Princess Mononoke to make it more marketable, Toshio Suzuki sent an authentic katana with a simple message: "No cuts".
ahahaha

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

IUG posted:

ahahaha

It's pretty great. That box art is incredibly bad and misleading. There is no pegasus, no robo-skeletor, there is a male pilot character in the movie but he certainly takes a back seat to the main female character who is shoved to the upper right corner. Its so weird. I actually kind of wished I knew how the box art came to be.

Glad that I own the Blu-Ray now. Such a great movie.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Waffleman_ posted:

The DVD release was cancelled after the first volume and it was taken off of iTunes. Probably the only place a lot of people have seen the dub in its entirety is it's run on Sci Fi. I tracked it down to rewatch and I need to get back to watching it.

I've been trying for years to get my hands on the boxset. It's my absolute favorite graphic novel series and since it's hideously difficult to get Western friends to read 18 volumes in that right-to-left format, I want to show them the anime. I get that it's not popular Stateside because it's the most non-anime anime, but gently caress do I wish it was available in some honest format. I was very lucky to catch the Sci Fi run for my mother and it was extremely her poo poo.
And Paranoia Agent is hard to find and that makes no sense. What the hell. My things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's why I hope the HBO adaptation gets off the ground and leads Viz to have a second go at releasing it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Waffleman_ posted:

That's why I hope the HBO adaptation gets off the ground and leads Viz to have a second go at releasing it.

The del Toro one? Me, too. :(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Crazy Ferret posted:

It's pretty great. That box art is incredibly bad and misleading. There is no pegasus, no robo-skeletor, there is a male pilot character in the movie but he certainly takes a back seat to the main female character who is shoved to the upper right corner. Its so weird. I actually kind of wished I knew how the box art came to be.

Glad that I own the Blu-Ray now. Such a great movie.

The Warrior of the Wind cover is bad and embarrassing and the film is hacked up, but I think the essential story content is intact and most of the beauty is there as I understand it. It's not as painful, personally, as what happened with the Digimon movie. With the hacking together of three unrelated movies, replacing the creepy classical music with lovely pop, adding endless voiceover and dialogue to characters that don't talk.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Digimon movie soundtrack was the playlist that defined its generation, dammit.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

The Digimon movie soundtrack was the playlist that defined its generation, dammit.

thats why trump won

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

IT'S BEEN
ONE WEEK SINCE YOU LOOKED AT ME

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/854764338254454784

That is... definitely a casting choice, yes.

I dunno, I'm not against it, though I would've assumed they'd go with a stand-up comic again.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i can kind of dig it, it's better than trying to find someone to do an imitation of robin williams

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I will only accept it if he does a rap.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Didn't they have an issue with potentially casting a black actor in the role of an enslaved character the first time around? I seem to recall some uncomfortableness.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

...Christ, I didn't even think about that angle. :stare:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

well at least they can look to the sterling example of Kazaam to help figure out how to handle it

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Might as well go Full Magical Negro and cast Morgan Freeman.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

well at least they can look to the sterling example of Kazaam to help figure out how to handle it

so... basically don't touch it with a 50-foot pole? :v:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Das Boo posted:

Didn't they have an issue with potentially casting a black actor in the role of an enslaved character the first time around? I seem to recall some uncomfortableness.

I usually don't like the term, but this sounds like political correctness being raised for no reason

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/854764338254454784

That is... definitely a casting choice, yes.

I dunno, I'm not against it, though I would've assumed they'd go with a stand-up comic again.

This is the first thing to get me excited for this. That is fresh casting.

"Genie, make me a prince!" ::Moves Aladdin with his Uncle and Auntie in Bel Air::

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This was inevitable ever since Will Smith used the I Dream Of Jeannie theme song as a sample in Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

surf rock posted:

Are you ready for My Neighbors the Yamadas?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
or "Grave of the Fireflies"?

(most people aren't ready for it)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
both have the same director

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ringu0 posted:

Are you ready for My Neighbors the Yamadas?

I really like that film.