Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Here's a knife you cannot hold properly without slicing up your own hand:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/228096009/doppio-double-sided-kitchen-knife/description

Even the people in the promo shots are holding it in a really unstable and awkward fashion.

Wear a gauntlet on your off hand so you can grab a double‐edged blade for more leverage.

#hackinghacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Guy Mann posted:

Flintpunk

Thanks, now I'm just thinking about Fred and Barney wearing gear covered top hats.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Guy Mann posted:

Just Glue Some Stones On It (And Call It Flintpunk)

When this is a thing in 5 years I'm gonna kick your rear end.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Just Glue Some Stones On It (And Call It Flintpunk)
Thanks, now I have an earworm. :argh:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Peanut President posted:

When this is a thing in 5 years I'm gonna kick your rear end.

Read the current Flintstones comic book, it's already better than anything steampunk has produced.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Guy Mann posted:

Read the current Flintstones comic book, it's already better than anything steampunk has produced.

thats actually pretty awesome.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Marriage is immoral though

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Phanatic posted:

Look at this:

Trying to do anything gripping the knife like that would be awful.

If only there were a widely known proverb about how a blade designed thusly can have some utility but also negative consequences.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Phanatic posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/228096009/doppio-double-sided-kitchen-knife/description

Even the people in the promo shots are holding it in a really unstable and awkward fashion.

Of course it got funded

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

wasn't aware that cargo culting extended to cooking but I guess it makes sense

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The next natural progression would be a 2-in-1 ice cream handle/cake cutter

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Guy Mann posted:

They've found a way to "innovate" on one of the oldest and most refined tools in human history. Eagerly awaiting an artisinal bespoke handaxe with proprietary blades next.

http://www.leveraxe.com/

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

I was imagining an axe with double bladed heads on both ends of the handle, even made some axe-chopping motions to figure out if it could be used without inflicting serious bodily harm on the wielder. My arm swinging concludes that maybe it could be used safely, but you would have to be some sort of idiot to even try, and that's good enough for my future Kickstarter. I'll be rolling in hipster axe-money this winter!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ein posted:

I was imagining an axe with double bladed heads on both ends of the handle, even made some axe-chopping motions to figure out if it could be used without inflicting serious bodily harm on the wielder. My arm swinging concludes that maybe it could be used safely, but you would have to be some sort of idiot to even try, and that's good enough for my future Kickstarter. I'll be rolling in hipster axe-money this winter!

Anime done it

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Ein posted:

"Tired of your wood shed being filled with axes? Frustrated by having to switch between your splitting maul and hatchet when chopping firewood? Meet Doppelt, with a heavy head for splitting logs and a small head on the other side for chopping kindling, this is the only axe you'll ever need! Say goodbye to those wasteful axes of yesteryear!"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

It was really weird as a kid seeing videogames and anime use completely different kinds of saws than the ones we did and then finding out that not only was it a real thing but that they're still being made and actually relatively popular in modern America because they cut on the pull instead of the push which is more comfortable for some people.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Saws cut both pull and push generally, though some are better at one or the other. Those anime double saw things are ridiculous, but that ocarina of time saw is just basically a normal everyday saw like you'd get at Home Depot, look at it. Just ignore the top half. Its just a slightly Japanese shape compared to the more Western traditional saw shape. No biggie.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm not much a fidgeter tbh, but it's nice for what it is. And the adhesive is indeed, not very good.

I chew my nails way too much and do all sorts of fidgety poo poo so I'm looking forward to getting mine.

ChaseSP posted:

I don't think I've dealt with a dog that doesn't like getting washed/being pet. Her dog is extremely friendly so I doubt this is an issue and just seemed pointless for her.

My sister's older border collie loving hates being washed with a passion, to the point that he will actually have a tantrum about it. Drying him off is fine, he just hates being washed but loves swimming so go figure

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phanatic posted:

What problem is this supposed to solve? I have a tiny kitchen, but storing all my knives has never been a problem. Having exactly half as many knives wouldn't help things at all.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Facebook Aunt posted:

What problem is this supposed to solve? I have a tiny kitchen, but storing all my knives has never been a problem. Having exactly half as many knives wouldn't help things at all.

The problem is you've never cooked anything in your life, but you want some unique kitchen tools to show off to your friends who have also never cooked anything.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Jabor posted:

The problem is you've never cooked anything in your life, but you want some unique kitchen tools to show off to your friends who have also never cooked anything.

The perfect knife for making hot-ham water.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Oh my god. It's made from Japanese steel, how is it even safe to have in the kitchen?

If you drop that, it'll fall to the centre of the Earth!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Paladinus posted:

It looks like a stone age knife made of metal.

Yes, but this kickstarter is an absolute (japanese) steal, look at the price of the competitors:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My hanzo knife has been folded thousands of times by ancient Japanese craftsmen, making it sharper than any gaijin knife.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
My recollection is that flint implements ARE sharper than steel ones, but they lose their edge very quickly.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

FreeKillB posted:

My recollection is that flint implements ARE sharper than steel ones, but they lose their edge very quickly.

The problem isn't dulling (flint is harder than most steels and holds an edge extremely well, in fact - flint firestarting works by using the flint to break off tiny bits of steel, which turn to sparks from friction), but brittleness. A piece of flint thin enough to be a good knife is also thin enough to break pretty easily if it experiences any appreciable twisting or lateral force.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Phanatic posted:

Reminds me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U4-KZSoe6g&t=48s

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Oh, Stan Beeman! Was not expecting that.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Yond Cassius posted:

The problem isn't dulling (flint is harder than most steels and holds an edge extremely well, in fact - flint firestarting works by using the flint to break off tiny bits of steel, which turn to sparks from friction), but brittleness. A piece of flint thin enough to be a good knife is also thin enough to break pretty easily if it experiences any appreciable twisting or lateral force.

They make slick scalpels out of obsidian or something like that. Since the poo poo is fragile and stupidly sharp it works really well apparently.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tetraptous posted:

"Tired of your wood shed being filled with axes? Frustrated by having to switch between your splitting maul and hatchet when chopping firewood? Meet Doppelt, with a heavy head for splitting logs and a small head on the other side for chopping kindling, this is the only axe you'll ever need! Say goodbye to those wasteful axes of yesteryear!"

Next year we make it Blu tooth enabled, "Are you tired of not knowing when you're out of logs and have no idea of your optimal LSpFF (Log Split per Foot Force)?"

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

sleepy.eyes posted:

They make slick scalpels out of obsidian or something like that. Since the poo poo is fragile and stupidly sharp it works really well apparently.

Obsidian scalpels are stupid sharp, but they're also brittle and can't take any lateral pressure -- and if they shatter, it's both a necessity and a nightmare to pick the shards out of the patient, which is why the FDA refuses to approve them.

(They're also $100 per blade, compared to 50-60 cents for steel)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's been almost a year since that crowdsourced Star Fox fan series debuted and they still haven't dropped the second episode. Though everytime I check my YouTube subscriptions the dude is livestreaming his work to a crowd of about 100 people so he's still slaving away at it for a wage that's just about 30k a year.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Guy Mann posted:

It's been almost a year since that crowdsourced Star Fox fan series debuted and they still haven't dropped the second episode. Though everytime I check my YouTube subscriptions the dude is livestreaming his work to a crowd of about 100 people so he's still slaving away at it for a wage that's just about 30k a year.

I forgot about this! It was really cool animation, in a Heavy Metal kind of way.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Remember that crazy expensive Kickstarter juicer that used one-time use pouches? Like the Keurig of juicing?

Turns out you can get as much juice by squeezing the pouches by hand.

quote:

One of the most lavishly funded gadget startups in Silicon Valley last year was Juicero Inc. It makes a juice machine. The product was an unlikely pick for top technology investors, but they were drawn to the idea of an internet-connected device that transforms single-serving packets of chopped fruits and vegetables into a refreshing and healthy beverage.
Doug Evans, the company’s founder, would compare himself with Steve Jobs in his pursuit of juicing perfection. He declared that his juice press wields four tons of force—“enough to lift two Teslas,” he said. Google’s venture capital arm and other backers poured about $120 million into the startup. Juicero sells the machine for $400, plus the cost of individual juice packs delivered weekly. Tech blogs have dubbed it a “Keurig for juice.”

But after the product hit the market, some investors were surprised to discover a much cheaper alternative: You can squeeze the Juicero bags with your bare hands. Two backers said the final device was bulkier than what was originally pitched and that they were puzzled to find that customers could achieve similar results without it. Bloomberg performed its own press test, pitting a Juicero machine against a reporter’s grip. The experiment found that squeezing the bag yields nearly the same amount of juice just as quickly—and in some cases, faster—than using the device.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:laffo:

So the "single-serving packets of chopped fruits and vegetables" are actually filled with... previously squeezed juice.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DrBouvenstein posted:

Remember that crazy expensive Kickstarter juicer that used one-time use pouches? Like the Keurig of juicing?

Turns out you can get as much juice by squeezing the pouches by hand.

Trabant posted:

:laffo:

So the "single-serving packets of chopped fruits and vegetables" are actually filled with... previously squeezed juice.

That's literally how the whole "cold pressed juice" fad works. You have to chop up the fruits and veg into very small bits and then squeeze it. Their thing was that they'd sell the pre-chopped up bits to you so you didn't have to go to the effort of doing it yourself at home, since you for some reason are a rich doofus who doesn't know regular juice is a better option.

Anyway the company still wins out if you were to just squeeze the pouches - most of them cost $7 for a single 8 ounce juice serving.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Guy Mann posted:

Wasn't there a C&D or close to it from Nintendo over this?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Wasn't there a C&D or close to it from Nintendo over this?

Yes. They just stopped using the name Star Fox.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Volcott posted:

Yes. They just stopped using the name Star Fox.

'Space Vulpine' really rolls off the tongue, they should go with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'Space Vulpine' really rolls off the tongue, they should go with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uieM18rZdHY