Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jamesman posted:

Once he's out of romantic prospects, he's gonna lose his poo poo and bring a gun to school.

Foreshadowed by a scene where Archie, wearing a scout uniform, stares at himself in a mirror as Dilton moves into frame over his shoulder.

Is the tone intensely psychosexual? You bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

JethroMcB posted:

Foreshadowed by a scene where Archie, wearing a scout uniform, stares at himself in a mirror as Dilton moves into frame over his shoulder.

Is the tone intensely psychosexual? You bet.

Archie stalking the halls while slowly humming "Sugar Sugar" to himself.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Jamesman posted:

Archie stalking the halls while slowly humming "Sugar Sugar" to himself.

Say Hello to my Lil' Archie?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
They day is saved when Sabrina casts an ancient spell to raise Miss Grundy from the dead and uses her to subdue Archie, but when Sabrina tries to cast her back to hell, something goes wrong and she becomes an unstoppable monster, which will be the season finale cliffhanger.

Geraldine Grundy...
Born on a Monday...

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The scene in which Betty sung a pitch-perfect Happy Birthday to Jughead while approaching with the cake really creeped me out, it was, as Jughead, said "haunting." It kinda made me feel viscerally uncomfortable for Jughead having his friends focus all their sentiments on him, it was a super surprising/interesting way to direct that simple scene.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
They bring that up on the Sex Archie podcast; there's nothing overly creepy about the act itself, but the way it is shot and framed makes you immensely uncomfortable, which is how Jughead feels about it. It was a nice way of putting the audience inside his head for a bit.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Jamesman posted:

They day is saved when Sabrina casts an ancient spell to raise Miss Grundy from the dead and uses her to subdue Archie, but when Sabrina tries to cast her back to hell, something goes wrong and she becomes an unstoppable monster, which will be the season finale cliffhanger.

Geraldine Grundy...
Born on a Monday...

This reminds me of the Tiny Titans/Little Archie crossover where it's revealed that Miss Grundy is married to Solomon Grundy of course. :3:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

crowoutofcontext posted:

The scene in which Betty sung a pitch-perfect Happy Birthday to Jughead while approaching with the cake really creeped me out, it was, as Jughead, said "haunting." It kinda made me feel viscerally uncomfortable for Jughead having his friends focus all their sentiments on him, it was a super surprising/interesting way to direct that simple scene.

It's kinda amazing how well this show balances between "teen drama shlock" and "an actual good show." Like in the same episode where Veronica and Cheryl battle for cheerleader dominance with a dance-off, we then get a birthday scene that is well shot and conveys really well Jughead's discomfort.

Also shoutouts to F.P. for being a really awesome terrible dad. Clearly sucked at being a dad, struggling alcoholic, gang member, somehow involved in Jason's death, hanging out at a teenager party with people drinking and fighting and taking no responsibilities...

But when his son gets hurt and wants to run away from it all? Dude stepped up. He was like "OK, I got one 'Good Dad' moment in the tank. I guess I can use it." and absolutely handled that poo poo and it was loving great to see.

Also I could absolutely see Skeet Ulrich and Cole Sprouse being actually related. That's just good casting there.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

Archie is the most relatable character on the show.

I like the way they turned the "Archie dates everyone because he's indecisive!" concept from the comic version into a "Archie dates everyone because he's just really loving confused about where his life is going and he's just grasping for anything that gives him a sense of direction."

Once he's out of romantic prospects, he's gonna lose his poo poo and bring a gun to school.

Well since Archie banged Veronica, he should just settle down with her since she's awesome. Maybe it'll rub off on him.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I didn't think Archie and Veronica actually had sex; I thought the implication was that Archie slept on the floor (because he's a *nice guy*), but didn't correct Jughead's assumption.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah that's basically tv speak for not banging.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This episode was good, but the preview for next week is like :stare:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Augh still waiting on the Netflix release.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I had a feeling something like this was going to happen and tonight basically confirms it; Jughead is the main character of this show, not Archie. He's the narrator, the emotional center, and now he has the most to lose by NOT solving the murder.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Spergatory posted:

I had a feeling something like this was going to happen and tonight basically confirms it; Jughead is the main character of this show, not Archie. He's the narrator, the emotional center, and now he has the most to lose by NOT solving the murder.

I still see Betty as the main character. Everything centers around her, and Jughead only became more prominent once they started dating. The show is about her boyfriend, her neighbor, her new friend, her parents, her sister, her sister's dead boyfriend.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I liked that "Kids in America" cover. I wonder if it was actually sung by the actors.
And Betty looked absolutely gorgeous with that dress and hair.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I like Kevin's mandatory line "You all need tracking devices"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lord Krangdar posted:

I still see Betty as the main character. Everything centers around her, and Jughead only became more prominent once they started dating. The show is about her boyfriend, her neighbor, her new friend, her parents, her sister, her sister's dead boyfriend.

Betty's the protagonist, Jughead is the cameraman.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I like Kevin's mandatory line "You all need tracking devices"
"Hello, yes, I still exist! OK, bye."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It is April 2017 and Alice Cooper is still entering scenes by dramatically saying other peoples' full names.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

cant cook creole bream posted:

And Betty looked absolutely gorgeous with that dress and hair.

Betty looked friggin' phenomenal, in a series where everybody's default look is "impossibly beautiful"

It was nice how the show leaned into the "Veronica and Jughead are not, in fact, friends" stuff this episode; looking forward to when the two of them reference that emotional distance when they are working together/dry humping to catch Moose's killer circa season 6.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Cheryl is such a wild card now and I have no idea what is going to happen with her and I am very very excited.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

It seems pretty set that the Blossoms murdered their son at this point isn't it? Who else could have planted the gun outside of an out of nowhere twist.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I wouldn't say the Blossoms, didn't the last episode pretty much rule out the mother from Cheryl saw or am I misremembering? So it could still be the father.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Archie's mom is behind it all

Also Molly Ringwald :j:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its going to be Reggie, and we are going to get a Keyser Sozer montage revealing that he was present in every major scene, just out of sight cackling.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

Its going to be Reggie, and we are going to get a Keyser Sozer montage revealing that he was present in every major scene, just out of sight cackling.

They did announce his actor isn't returning for season 2.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I assumed it was Joaquin, paid off by Veronica's dad. He was ordered to kill Jason in revenge against the Blossoms. Now he's covering his tracks.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope it's not Joaquin. It would be pretty cheap to make the killer the only character on Riverdale who was invented solely for the show, as opposed to an actual Archie character. Same if he's not the killer but they kill him off to raise the stakes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I seriously keep fearing its going to be Kevin and its going to be dumb but the show is not going to let me down like that.

Right show?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Argue posted:

I hope it's not Joaquin. It would be pretty cheap to make the killer the only character on Riverdale who was invented solely for the show, as opposed to an actual Archie character. Same if he's not the killer but they kill him off to raise the stakes.

Though if it is Joaquin, it gives a pretty good suggestion of why Moose was written out of the show (or at least, out of Kevin's life) in episode two. They couldn't be too radical with their adaptation, could they?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

He is emphasizing how often he goes to Sweetwater to hook up with closeted straight dudes.....

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Joaquin is barely a character.

It's gonna be Hal, Hermione, or Archie.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm thinking it was Hal, probably acting under instructions from Alice.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Though if it is Joaquin, it gives a pretty good suggestion of why Moose was written out of the show (or at least, out of Kevin's life) in episode two. They couldn't be too radical with their adaptation, could they?

I haven't followed the comics in at least ten years but I remember hearing that in them, fairly recently, Moose took a bullet for Kevin. I wonder if Moose not being around is sort of an acknowledgement of that.

Or they're just waiting to introduce Midge next season :v:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Mark Consuelos might be playing Hiram Lodge

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

I haven't followed the comics in at least ten years but I remember hearing that in them, fairly recently, Moose took a bullet for Kevin. I wonder if Moose not being around is sort of an acknowledgement of that.

Or they're just waiting to introduce Midge next season :v:

No, it was Archie that took a bullet for Kevin, in the Death of Archie storyline. Kevin was running for senator on a strict gun control platform and an attempt was made on his life by a guy who didn't want Kevin to come for his guns. Moose was mayor of Riverdale at that time.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

What

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Wait til you hear about whether Archie married Betty or Veronica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Edmund Lava posted:

It seems pretty set that the Blossoms murdered their son at this point isn't it? Who else could have planted the gun outside of an out of nowhere twist.

Mr. Cooper could have gone there from the dinner, before FP got home.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I assumed it was Joaquin, paid off by Veronica's dad. He was ordered to kill Jason in revenge against the Blossoms. Now he's covering his tracks.

I don't think the timeline works there (for the covering his tracks part, at least), since he was shown at the dance when the gun would have been planted.

Argue posted:

That makes me curious, who does Kevin date in the comics?

• Locked thread