Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreatGreen posted:

Would you mind copying and pasting the article for those of us who don't really want to sign into the Wall Street Journal?

a poo poo newspaper posted:

BANKRUPTCY BEAT
Your Bankruptcy Is a Wonderland: John Mayer May Get Stiffed on Amp Sale
By KATY STECH
Jan 15, 2015 3:44 pm ET
John Mayer may want to pen a heartfelt farewell to the $160,000 he was supposed got get for the sale of his rare Dumble guitar amp.

John Mayer performs in concert during his Born and Raised Tour 2013 at the Baltimore Arena on Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013, in Baltimore. (Photo by Owen Sweeney/Invision/AP) ASSOCIATED PRESS

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

Would you mind copying and pasting the article for those of us who don't really want to sign into the Wall Street Journal?

https://www.inforuptcy.com/news/wsjcom-bankruptcy-beat/your-bankruptcy-wonderland-john-mayer-may-get-stiffed-amp-sale

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SubG posted:

Yeah. The problem is that even when companies standardise they all create their own standards. If I buy a HD, I have a reasonable expectation that I can just open up whatever I'm putting it in and it'll just work. Like sure there are a couple flavours of SATA and before SATA there was IDE and so on, and there are 2.5" drives and 3.5" drives and whatever the gently caress. But replacing a drive is something that you can do on a modern computer (or whatever) in a couple minutes with just a screwdriver (and sometimes with no tools at all). There's no practical reason why twiddling the electronics on an electric guitar shouldn't work the same way, just the massive inertia of an industry that's never had to worry about poo poo like that.

Yeah the age of the Standard Wars is mostly past in computers. It's basically just apple who dicks around with proprietary connectors now and even those are only on one end so you can still plug your phone into any computer.

EMG also is in a funny situation where because they use different pot values by an order of magnitude and a special jack to not drain the battery, most of the time people need all new parts so they just sell kits that give you the parts and make connecting it as easy as possible.

Gibson has a similar thing and so does the GFS guy but none of the three would plug into another one

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Shugojin posted:

Gibson has a similar thing and so does the GFS guy but none of the three would plug into another one
When did GFS introduce their kwikplug thing? I've got a couple set of their pickups but none of them use plugs, not counting the pair of Dream 90s I put in my Ibanez archtop, which are the ones I put molex connectors on because fuuuuuuuck working on the harness in an archtop.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
while my band was on tour, old mate decided to apologise for falling for my guitarist baiting him

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation posted:

while my band was on tour, old mate decided to apologise for falling for my guitarist baiting him

lol

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Concatenation posted:

What is this, a fuckin tea party? No way either of these fancy boys play metal.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Chrpno posted:

What is this, a fuckin tea party? No way either of these fancy boys play metal.

Yeah, REAL metal should sound like pouring out a sack of potatoes on the bassdrum and throwing handfuls of marbles at the rest of the kit.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is it stupid that I probably will never own a Strandberg even though I'm an ergonomics nerd simply because I can't stand the "Strandberg" scene aside from Plini.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

W424 posted:

Yeah, REAL metal should sound like pouring out a sack of potatoes on the bassdrum and throwing handfuls of marbles at the rest of the kit.

ah finally someone gets my grindcore project

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Shugojin posted:

Modeling is probably the most recent thing I'd call an innovation, yeah.

The last new thing I saw I thought was useful and potentially cool was the digitech feedback thing.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
A cool attempt at innovation that I wish I could have afforded back in the day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moog_Guitar (assuming it worked as advertised, which I'll probably never know since few of them seem to be out there). Moog still sells the strings for it at least.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Er yeah that there wiki page is an ad alright

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
The only models guitarists should be concerned with are curvy and scantily-clad.

And just lol there is something so un-musicianlike to be in the absurdity of worrying about drum kit sounds. How about everything else I'm sure the album entirely lacks? This is what you get for playing with computers.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 11, 2017

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
does anyone know what guitar they recorded reuben's return of the jedi with
sounds like a tele in some parts

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

muike posted:

does anyone know what guitar they recorded reuben's return of the jedi with
sounds like a tele in some parts

Live he used to use a strat with humbuckers.

Reuben were loving awesome

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
lenman's solo stuff is pretty alright too, at least the heavy tunes

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SubG posted:

When did GFS introduce their kwikplug thing? I've got a couple set of their pickups but none of them use plugs, not counting the pair of Dream 90s I put in my Ibanez archtop, which are the ones I put molex connectors on because fuuuuuuuck working on the harness in an archtop.

Sssssixish months ago maybe?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
They just came out with an adapter for standard pickups a few weeks ago: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Kwikplug-Female-Solder-Block-Adapt-ANY-Pickup-to-the-Kwikplug-System_p_24132.html

That's completely not stupid music poo poo, but what the hell.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

OutOfPrint posted:

They just came out with an adapter for standard pickups a few weeks ago: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Kwikplug-Female-Solder-Block-Adapt-ANY-Pickup-to-the-Kwikplug-System_p_24132.html

That's completely not stupid music poo poo, but what the hell.

Kinda though it is.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I want this to make sweet, musty 70s Doom metal:

https://reverb.com/item/4566240-guild-s-100-polara-1965-s142

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I love Guilds in general, but that one looks like it's got the Hagstrom bridge the older (60s?) Guild electrics had. Nothing wrong with it sonically, but the individual string saddles are kind of pointy on the top, so if you palm mute a lot, they'll dig into your hand.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorgar posted:

I love Guilds in general, but that one looks like it's got the Hagstrom bridge the older (60s?) Guild electrics had. Nothing wrong with it sonically, but the individual string saddles are kind of pointy on the top, so if you palm mute a lot, they'll dig into your hand.

tune-o-matic replacement? is that heresy?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

To some it might be. I'd understand it. I loving hate those bridges.

My solution: get a 70s S-100. Alternately, the same shop has this: https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/guild-m-80-sunburst-1980-s099 that just came in. I have one just like it, and it might be my favorite electric at this point.

But if you're into the shape of the older Polara, there's probably a replacement bridge somewhere that wouldn't require drilling new holes, so you could put the old one back if you sell it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorgar posted:

To some it might be. I'd understand it. I loving hate those bridges.

My solution: get a 70s S-100. Alternately, the same shop has this: https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/guild-m-80-sunburst-1980-s099 that just came in. I have one just like it, and it might be my favorite electric at this point.

But if you're into the shape of the older Polara, there's probably a replacement bridge somewhere that wouldn't require drilling new holes, so you could put the old one back if you sell it.

Oooh sweet. Good stuff to chew on, thanks.

In other news, someone is apparently trying to sell an 808 allegedly owned by Fela Kuti.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302278024291?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I saw Dengue Fever last night (opening for Tinariwen :fap:) and their guitarist was playing this, which looked suspiciously like stupid music poo poo but which was actually awesome music poo poo:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!
This is what happens when Kubo goes to a liberal arts college

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

This is what happens when Kubo goes to a liberal arts college

lol

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

butros posted:

I saw Dengue Fever last night (opening for Tinariwen :fap:) and their guitarist was playing this, which looked suspiciously like stupid music poo poo but which was actually awesome music poo poo:

The second neck is a Cambodian lute called a Chapei Don Veng, and he calls the thing The Mastodong. I really like DF but the only time I got to see them they were borrowing gear from the other bands because their rental rig had got lost en route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daum7xyVfgU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTBoT5WhJCn/

The current touring bassist for Korn is Robert Trujillo's 12-year-old son. He appears to be playing a three-string bass.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

The true stupid music poo poo there is the Korn x Monster Energy sweat bands.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I 100% regret selling my 1st gen K5 bass, got annoyed with trying to balance the insane graphic eq of that with the POS bass combo I had at the time.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

butros posted:

The true stupid music poo poo there is the Korn x Monster Energy sweat bands.

Well it's made with high fructose Korn syrup.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Allen Wren posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTBoT5WhJCn/

The current touring bassist for Korn is Robert Trujillo's 12-year-old son. He appears to be playing a three-string bass.

Please, don't act like Korn songs require use of more than the top two strings. Three is just showboating.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Trig Discipline posted:

Well it's made with high fructose Korn syrup.

:golfclap:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://reverb.com/item/4936459-reverse-jazzmaster-partscaster-w-samick-neck-lace-sensor-hb-hipshot-bridge

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Everything about that makes me irrationally angry

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If the pickup was at the bridge and the vol knob and input were switched it might look ok.
A paint job would certainly help too.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

If the pickup was at the bridge or neck i'd play it. The really insane thing is the input jack. Goddamn, I assume the owner plays his guitar around his knees, 'cause I'd unplug that every time I strum a chord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Schpyder posted:

Everything about that makes me irrationally angry

it's like one of those modern suburban tract houses where they throw in a bunch of different architectural features from different periods that are supposed to denote "this is a classy joint" but because the designer has zero understanding of what they're doing it just turns into a giant ridiculous mishmash of poo poo with zero functional use

• Locked thread