Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Yeah, that butt-hurt snowflake was livid when Bree went through and deleted all his crap. Then he violated their rules - again - by commenting on the moderation. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They don't care about shooting people in first person. They care about interacting with their autism chariot in first person. They care about flying around and playing the role of Malcolm Shepard as they fly their starship Millennium Beepop around the galaxy. The primary draw of Star Citizen isn't that it's a game, it's that it's supposed to be some kind of immersive experience. You're not playing a space sim, you're participating in a First Person Universe. Elite is a game that features tight mechanics and a coherent design philosophy that covers every aspect of player interaction. The priority is providing high quality gameplay. In contrast Star Citizen's priority is the narrative. In Elite your character is a sterile, unimportant participant who has no impact on the uncaring galaxy at all. Star Citizen markets itself as something more immersive and player-oriented, that's designed to compel the player to play for one more hour because of how good the story is.

The problem is that the story was derivative and clichéd to begin with and has to deal with the insufferable amateurism of a visionary who thinks that jets in space is still a revolutionary concept for a science fiction universe and is so creatively bankrupt that he can't describe anything without referencing the prior work that he stole it from.

:perfect:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I would absolutely go to CitCon or whatever, but I drat sure wouldn't fly to LA to do it. It'd be funny to walk around in some kind of very obvious beet signage and see who figured it out and/or was brave enough to say something.

I imagine it wouldn't actually be too bad, lots of them seem to think I'm the reasonable one :shrug:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
but LA is cool and good. I will take y'all on ze tour

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I imagine it wouldn't actually be too bad, lots of them seem to think I'm the reasonable one :shrug:

It's because of Kayak

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

but LA is cool and good. I will take y'all on ze tour

I've been. I lived in Santa Clarita for a time lol.

Don't doxx me.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

I would absolutely go to CitCon or whatever, but I drat sure wouldn't fly to LA to do it. It'd be funny to walk around in some kind of very obvious beet signage and see who figured it out and/or was brave enough to say something.

Just bring Kayak, they'd know immediately.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I've been. I lived in Santa Clarita for a time lol.

Don't doxx me.
oh hi old friend Tony Zerruveedhdck

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hey dapperdon what happened with your request for all info cig is maintaining on you ? Did they just delete everything and walk away ?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
The best Major Tom video had Daydream in Blue playing in the background. It was incredibly hilarious

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

oh hi old friend Tony Zerruveedhdck

Damnit I said don't doxx me! Now all my efforts to destroy Derek Smart's goon-powered war machine from the inside are wasted!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

milk milk lemonade posted:

The best Major Tom video had Daydream in Blue playing in the background. It was incredibly hilarious
:agreed:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the one set to "oh Chris" was p good

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Millennium Beepop

Gonna name my ship this in ED. Thanks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

thatguy posted:

The vision wouldn't ever have been a reality anyway because the average gamer won't care about the dumb backstory you made for your dumb character and if you have something cool and there's a way to take it from you then it's going to be taken.

Exactly. The narrative is largely irrelevant in multiplayer games. The people who care about that stuff are little better than the idiots who pretend to be Clanners in MWO and make everyone else wait while they do a ceremony, and they inevitably get pissed when someone else shows up and plays the game without following their dumb rules. The best stories don't come from someone pretending to be their Mary Sue space pilot, they come from emergent gameplay like the history of EVE. The people who are so arduously supporting this game in the hopes that it becomes their narrative utopia have ignored two indisputable facts:

1. CIG does not give a gently caress about their players, except as a means of extracting wealth.

2. The greatest source of wealth for CIG, should this shitshow ever see the light of day, will be new players who have no regard whatsoever for legacy players who expect things to be done a certain way.

So assuming the game even does see the light of day it will be infested with assholes who don't care about how the game is "supposed" to be played. When the backers complain to CIG they'll be treated the same way CIG treats everyone else who they no longer consider a useful source of revenue.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

milk milk lemonade posted:

That takes me back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55HXtqdiqsA

Good times

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Would that include arguing on an internet forum?

I think you're confusing "arguing" with "taking the piss" TBH.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

TheAgent posted:

I'm just kidding bro, someday we need to get together and discuss wines n fish tacos over wine n fish tacos

im eating fish tacos right now with a poopton of cilantro and a homemade southwest sauce (just kidding its Hidden Valley ranch with taco seasoning)

also star citizen is bad?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/854772434804846594

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/854774920756301826

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hell well wow I mean woah!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I look forward to either nothing ever coming from this and/or you making a 5,000 word post which I won't read.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Well I guess it's all over for PC gaming then

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

I think most of the people who laundered LTI and made the real big bucks have been out for quite a long time now.

I made just over £3000 I think, back when £ was worth a bit. I sold for quite a few people here too. I wish all my dumb decisions worked out half as well.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

peter gabriel posted:

eh woh did

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q53EUArujvA

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Exactly. The narrative is largely irrelevant in multiplayer games. The people who care about that stuff are little better than the idiots who pretend to be Clanners in MWO and make everyone else wait while they do a ceremony, and they inevitably get pissed when someone else shows up and plays the game without following their dumb rules. The best stories don't come from someone pretending to be their Mary Sue space pilot, they come from emergent gameplay like the history of EVE. The people who are so arduously supporting this game in the hopes that it becomes their narrative utopia have ignored two indisputable facts:

1. CIG does not give a gently caress about their players, except as a means of extracting wealth.

2. The greatest source of wealth for CIG, should this shitshow ever see the light of day, will be new players who have no regard whatsoever for legacy players who expect things to be done a certain way.

So assuming the game even does see the light of day it will be infested with assholes who don't care about how the game is "supposed" to be played. When the backers complain to CIG they'll be treated the same way CIG treats everyone else who they no longer consider a useful source of revenue.

To be fair pretending to roleplay some dumb lore bullshit in MWO is pretty funny and just about the easiest way to piss 23 other people off outside of owning a $500 gold mech.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

No, I'm not. What difference would my answer make if preconceived notions take precedence?

thatguy posted:

I look forward to either nothing ever coming from this and/or you making a 5,000 word post which I won't read.

Technically there is no game, and the time is whatever the stopped clock is saying.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

peter gabriel posted:

Big news I know it's shocking.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Somewhere out there Derek is pondering buying a universal remote

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

Don't doxx me.

LOL.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

To be fair pretending to roleplay some dumb lore bullshit in MWO is pretty funny and just about the easiest way to piss 23 other people off outside of owning a $500 gold mech.
The Goon MWO lore was particularly funny because it revolved around roleplaying as giant sentient alien bird-people from a book that most people didn't consider canon. Someone like TBK or whoever still plays that game could probably explain the comedic nuances better than me though.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Theres a rumour from inside CIG that things are not all well.

Words

Subsumption itemport 2.0 netcode

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

like good quality shoes.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

thatguy posted:

The Goon MWO lore was particularly funny because it revolved around roleplaying as giant sentient alien bird-people from a book that most people didn't consider canon. Someone like TBK or whoever still plays that game could probably explain the comedic nuances better than me though.

(squawk)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

172 days until Citizen Con.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.instagram.com/p/BS8AryPD0Dd

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

That whole thing is odd, I dunno

https://www.facebook.com/AshramtheFilm/

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

AP posted:

172 days until Citizen Con.

What...I mean, the bar is really loving low at this point, so I shouldn't be surprised. But loving really, someone cosplayed as the loving vending machine.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

someone photoshop Ashram into A Scam, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Drunk Theory posted:

Um, on the left there. What...I mean, the bar is really loving low at this point, so I shouldn't be surprised. But loving really, someone cosplayed as the loving vending machine.

Have you heard of the ballad of big bennies? It's quite the 'meme'