Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yusuke does have a sort of bad introduction though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yusuke is my least favorite party member but only because the rest of the cast is so strong

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Yusuke is my least favorite party member but only because the rest of the cast is so strong

Yusuke's probably on the lower end for me as well (not bottom but maybe that's just because I never got too far into Haru's confidant) but he is the funniest character in the game and probably the most dateable boy. Even if he's not my favourite boy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah he's kind of a bland character

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How can anyone think Yusuku is more boring than Ann (note: I'm only in mid-June)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yusuke has a pretty bad introduction to the group but in retrospect I kind of like that, because the game puts itself at a disadvantage and thus has to work extra hard to endear you to the guy. The fact that it succeeds, and usually around the big school trip, is a testament to how good the writing is.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

precision posted:

How can anyone think Yusuku is more boring than Ann (note: I'm only in mid-June)

I'm in late June and Ann is one of my wife's favorite characters.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yusuke is really boring when you first meet him, but then as the game goes on you find out he's actually the best not-Ryuji guy in the crew.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ann is extremely boring and basically falls out of the plot entirely once Makoto joins up.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I wasn't a fan of Yusuke when he was introduced because "get nude for me or I'll have you arrested" is an extremely not cool thing to say, but he hasn't been anywhere near as terrible since.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only thing that sucks about Makoto is that the game doesn't let me just pick "female" and play as her instead of this lanky emo clown!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All the Phantom Thieves are good and cool and I love them.

Edit:

precision posted:

The only thing that sucks about Makoto is that the game doesn't let me just pick "female" and play as her instead of this lanky emo clown!

Joker may not be as cool as Makoto but he is still very cool dammit!!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Yusuke is really boring when you first meet him, but then as the game goes on you find out he's actually the best not-Ryuji guy in the crew.
Sure, I'll accept that he's the best male human party member apart from Ryuji and the protagonist.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yusuke is the boring stock Wacky artist.

Even has the same poor vibes and all

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Ann starts off really good, and her relationship with Shiho has some nice elements, but she largely drops out of the plot and gets overshadowed. I was kind of hoping they'd do a bit more Lisa Silverman-esque stuff where they talk about how isolated and objectified she was as a foreign-looking person living in Japan, but they really just dropped it entirely for a pretty boring s-link that doesn't even reflect much on the idea of the arcana.

Yusuke is pretty relatable for me as an artist, since when you're looking at the world with that mindset, you tend to focus and catalogue things in a completely different way than most people. You're building a library of observations and reference to be used later, which can make you simultaneously appreciate things on a deeper level or miss the forest for the trees and completely miss the point. Also his poses and chatroom interactions are probably some of the best.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I like how people mention Ann getting dropped from the plot when Yusuke was never really in it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's funny because Ryuji scans like someone said "Well, just throw Brosuke, Stupei, and Kanji in a blender and see what happens"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yusuke thinks Sojiro is very cool and like Leblanc so that gives him some major points.

Ann is also good but suffers from an inconsistent confidant that has simultaneously too many and too little ideas.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I will always love that during the leadup to Palace 4, Yusuke gets completely distracted by the actual mythological Medjed and wall of texts a bunch of info in the group chat and no one has the heart to tell him that's the wrong one. He tried so hard and got to learn a bunch of neat things!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like how people mention Ann getting dropped from the plot when Yusuke was never really in it.
yusuke is actually in the plot a decent amount, tho. he contributes a lot to the decision making scenes as the most levelheaded of the group besides makoto, and he has a lot of good gags in main story scenes, like his rant about medjed or lobsters. ann just does basically nothing besides be Ryuji's greek chorus.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Ryuji is male Chie.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

NRVNQSR posted:

Sure, I'll accept that he's the best male human party member apart from Ryuji and the protagonist.

I guess it would've been easier to say:

Yusuke isn't terrible, because Morgana exists.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Neeksy posted:

but they really just dropped it entirely for a pretty boring s-link that doesn't even reflect much on the idea of the arcana.

I thought it was going to lead to that when she started wanting to be an actress but other than that he SLink was all over the place. It honestly would have worked better as a strength arcana, because the overall unifying theme in her progression was "what is strength, and how to be strong." Whether that was her own strength, or being strong for Shiho, and then and then even buttoning down and becoming a proper professional model.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Dragonatrix posted:

I will always love that during the leadup to Palace 4, Yusuke gets completely distracted by the actual mythological Medjed and wall of texts a bunch of info in the group chat and no one has the heart to tell him that's the wrong one. He tried so hard and got to learn a bunch of neat things!

Yeah, if you didn't think Yusuke was a Good Boy after this, I don't know what to say honestly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

yusuke is actually in the plot a decent amount, tho. he contributes a lot to the decision making scenes as the most levelheaded of the group besides makoto, and he has a lot of good gags in main story scenes, like his rant about medjed or lobsters. ann just does basically nothing besides be Ryuji's greek chorus.

Does this stuff happen after Palace 7 because I haven't seen anything besides the medjed gag and man that was pointless.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Count Bleck posted:

I guess it would've been easier to say:

Yusuke isn't terrible, because Morgana exists.

Morgana is good

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yusuke serves as comic relief for most of the game and gets a ton of scenes to that effect. Ann goes from driving the plot early on with Ryuji and Joker to nonexistence, and doesn't even get anything cool to do.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mordiceius posted:

Ryuji is male Chie.

Look, Chie is great and is the best girl of P4, but this way undersells how fuckin' amazing Ryuji is.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*Takes a deep breath, as one accepting his certain death* Even Yukari Is Better Than Ann

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Does this stuff happen after Palace 7 because I haven't seen anything besides the medjed gag and man that was pointless.
the medjed gag has a point in that it was funny

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

the medjed gag has a point in that it was funny

But nothing happened

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

Look, Chie is great and is the best girl of P4, but this way undersells how fuckin' amazing Ryuji is.

Ryuji's english VA owns too and made me laugh out loud multiple times.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly, the problem with Ann is that the party has too many members. As much as I like Haru, the party dynamic is stretched too thin once she joins.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

*Takes a deep breath, as one accepting his certain death* Even Yukari Is Better Than Ann
yukari is probably the best character in persona 3. she has an actual arc, she has an interesting relationship with mitsuru, and the fact that she's kind of a snippy, spiteful person makes her likable compared to aigis and mitsuru, who have basically no meaningful character flaws.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Kawakami is the best girl.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Her S-Link sure is something Don't rat me out and I'll let you sleep in class!

Mordiceius posted:

Ryuji is male Chie.

Yeah it's fuckin' awesome right?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i literally did two more battles and got the Passionate Listener trophy (I started mashing r1). This will only serve to reinforce my whining

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

But nothing happened
him going on for several paragraphs while the other characters say literally nothing, is funny. this is what is known as a joke.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

I dunno, like if it's just having a role in the group Ann basically ends up as the kindest and most empathetic member of the crew sort of? She's usually the most immediately sympathetic to new characters and the like. It's not much but neither is Yusuke's role really, though I suppose he is more memorable due to his incredibly good comedy scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

him going on for several paragraphs while the other characters say literally nothing, is funny. this is what is known as a joke.

A bland joke for a bland man yeah