Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

other funny yusuke jokes: the lobsters, him randomly walking up to the party on the beach and just joining the conversation like he isn't supposed to be several thousand miles away at the moment, 'i certainly am in the mood'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly, the problem with Ann is that the party has too many members. As much as I like Haru, the party dynamic is stretched too thin once she joins.

This is true honestly.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly, the problem with Ann is that the party has too many members. As much as I like Haru, the party dynamic is stretched too thin once she joins.
Yeah, it's really obvious in the late game boss fight "every party member needs to get a line here" scenes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno, like if it's just having a role in the group Ann basically ends up as the kindest and most empathetic member of the crew sort of? She's usually the most immediately sympathetic to new characters and the like. It's not much but neither is Yusuke's role really, though I suppose he is more memorable due to his incredibly good comedy scenes.

To be honest when it comes to driving the plot very few outside Morgana do anything.

It mostly just kind of falls into their laps.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

other funny yusuke jokes: the lobsters, him randomly walking up to the party on the beach and just joining the conversation like he isn't supposed to be several thousand miles away at the moment, 'i certainly am in the mood'

Bad mouse puns

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno, like if it's just having a role in the group Ann basically ends up as the kindest and most empathetic member of the crew sort of? She's usually the most immediately sympathetic to new characters and the like. It's not much but neither is Yusuke's role really, though I suppose he is more memorable due to his incredibly good comedy scenes.
I think being the weird comedy relief guy is a role. Ann is the most empathetic member of the crew, kinda, and they do play on that when Makoto joins a bit, but when Futaba joins it's Yusuke who does the most interacting with her and helping her acclimate to things, and when Haru joins it's mostly Morgana who gives her a shoulder to lean on. Ann's kindness is mostly just expressed by her saying 'Ryuji...!' in increasingly exasperated tones when he says something lovely.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How can anyone who suffered through He Who Shall Bearly Be Named complain about Morgana. How. Morgana is best cat.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

yukari is probably the best character in persona 3. she has an actual arc, she has an interesting relationship with mitsuru, and the fact that she's kind of a snippy, spiteful person makes her likable compared to aigis and mitsuru, who have basically no meaningful character flaws.

She also got some interesting development in The Answer, which is more than you can say about like everyone else.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest when it comes to driving the plot very few outside Morgana do anything.

It mostly just kind of falls into their laps.

Makoto and Futaba are super essential in driving the plot and Ryuji gets a pretty decent arc in the latter part of the game, which gives him quite a few scenes and some good development.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

precision posted:

How can anyone who suffered through He Who Shall Bearly Be Named complain about Morgana. How. Morgana is best cat.

because ted lives with yosuke, not you

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ann is this game's Chie. I mean, I like the both but their social links were boring as heck. It started out interesting then it turned into "I'm a model for funsies but now I'm gonna be one for realsies!" Whoopty poo poo. They could have went down a neat road involving xenophobia or discrimination but instead it just became "I'm going to become stronger and I'm going take this thing seriously!!!!!!!11" Definitely the weakest social link in the game, in my opinion.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

precision posted:

*As one with head in guillotine, speaking last words* Teddie was good in persona 4, he only got poochified in the spinoffs and the added golden events. That said Morgana is also good, too bad he is destined to be boiled down into the go to bed meme

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

She also got some interesting development in The Answer, which is more than you can say about like everyone else.
yeah yukari is the only character who was meaningfully expanded upon in the answer. even her persona 4 arena stuff is at least more interesting than junpei's freaking little league team or akihiko saying the word protein a lot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jimbot posted:

Ann is this game's Chie. I mean, I like the both but their social links were boring as heck. It started out interesting then it turned into "I'm a model for funsies but now I'm gonna be one for realsies!" Whoopty poo poo. They could have went down a neat road involving xenophobia or discrimination but instead it just became "I'm going to become stronger and I'm going take this thing seriously!!!!!!!11" Definitely the weakest social link in the game, in my opinion.

You can't say that in a game with Yusuke.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ryuji's voice actor actually does a really good job in the Palace 6 leadup.

Anyway Yusuke's introduction is kinda creepy but is all made up for by his presence in the rest of the game and his inclusion in the game is worth it entirely for his Rank 5.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also teddie's an interesting character with an interesting dilemma but too much of it is buried behind bear puns and perving on girls and 'holy crap, a white guy!?' even in og persona 4.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Bear puns are good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also I got to say with how this was going it looked like haru was gonna be the traitor and that was much more interesting.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

I think being the weird comedy relief guy is a role. Ann is the most empathetic member of the crew, kinda, and they do play on that when Makoto joins a bit, but when Futaba joins it's Yusuke who does the most interacting with her and helping her acclimate to things, and when Haru joins it's mostly Morgana who gives her a shoulder to lean on. Ann's kindness is mostly just expressed by her saying 'Ryuji...!' in increasingly exasperated tones when he says something lovely.

She's the one who tries to break Futaba out of her shell before she officially joins and tries to get her to talk about her mum and how it's not her fault and stuff. Once she joins Futaba does get most of her interactions with Yusuke (though the scene of her instantly getting along with Ryuji and Ann over snacks and smack-talking each other was also good), and Haru mostly hangs with Morgana but there's still scenes around that where I think she's kinda the most welcoming or worries the most about the rest of the party. Like, with the dumb Ryuji-Morgana bits in the mid-game and stuff. It's not a super important role but i'd still say it's about as consistent as Yusuke as eccentric comedy man. I do think eccentric comedy man is a more enjoyable and role, and it gives Yusuke more memorable scenes, but I don't think it's really more important in like plot importance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Teddie's English VA is what killed him. When I played through Golden with the Japanese voices it wasn't nearly so bad.

I'm playing P5 in Japanese too maybe that's why I don't find Morgana annoying

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Morgana's got good English voice acting.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
One Shot Kill, Triple Down, Snipe, Cripple, Trigger Happy

Pew pew mother fuckers

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

precision posted:

Teddie's English VA is what killed him. When I played through Golden with the Japanese voices it wasn't nearly so bad.

Did they change Teddie's voice in Golden? I'm going through 4 now in the regular game and I don't think it's that bad. But maybe I just have a high tolerance for that sort of thing. I can see how people would find his voice annoying, though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

precision posted:

Teddie's JP voice is so loving annoying I have no idea how you could prefer it to the dub.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

precision posted:

teddie's jp voice sucks rear end

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I have traumatic memories of the persona 5 announcement event where JP teddie ruined my ears for hours, hours, before I became slave who want emancipation

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked Teddy and might have even used him in dungeons if he ran around in non-squeaky prettyboy/Alice form.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
P4 in Japanese is impossible to listen to because Teddie and Rise are akin to nails driven straight through your ears.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She's the one who tries to break Futaba out of her shell before she officially joins and tries to get her to talk about her mum and how it's not her fault and stuff. Once she joins Futaba does get most of her interactions with Yusuke (though the scene of her instantly getting along with Ryuji and Ann over snacks and smack-talking each other was also good), and Haru mostly hangs with Morgana but there's still scenes around that where I think she's kinda the most welcoming or worries the most about the rest of the party. Like, with the dumb Ryuji-Morgana bits in the mid-game and stuff. It's not a super important role but i'd still say it's about as consistent as Yusuke as eccentric comedy man. I do think eccentric comedy man is a more enjoyable and role, and it gives Yusuke more memorable scenes, but I don't think it's really more important in like plot importance.
i mean, 'plot importance' is a weird thing to define characters by because you could take out everyone but morgana, futaba, and makoto from the actual party and the game would function. characters aren't defined solely by how they progress the plot, especially in a video game where 99% of the plot progression is initiated by either the player character or the antagonist because of how games function. ryuji doesn't ever really impact the plot outside of being a dick to Morgana once but he's obviously an important character.

I think the difference between Ann and Yusuke is that Ann's kind moments are just kinda tossed in to the middle of random scenes, like Ann says nice stuff to Futaba and then other characters say nice stuff to Futaba, or everyone's worrying about Haru and Ann gets the nicest line of the bunch, or something. Compared to Yusuke where entire scenes are framed around him in terms of set-up and punchline, like the bit with the lobsters on the beach would just straight up not be a scene if his punchline wasn't coming in, every line out of the characters mouths is setup and payoff for Yusuke's bit.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I liked Teddy and might have even used him in dungeons if he ran around in non-squeaky prettyboy/Alice form.

there's a costume for that in golden

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Teddie's JP voice is so loving annoying I have no idea how you could prefer it to the dub.

My Japanese isn't very good so I can just tune it out.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

precision posted:

what the

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i mean, 'plot importance' is a weird thing to define characters by because you could take out everyone but morgana, futaba, and makoto from the actual party and the game would function. characters aren't defined solely by how they progress the plot, especially in a video game where 99% of the plot progression is initiated by either the player character or the antagonist because of how games function. ryuji doesn't ever really impact the plot outside of being a dick to Morgana once but he's obviously an important character.

I think the difference between Ann and Yusuke is that Ann's kind moments are just kinda tossed in to the middle of random scenes, like Ann says nice stuff to Futaba and then other characters say nice stuff to Futaba, or everyone's worrying about Haru and Ann gets the nicest line of the bunch, or something. Compared to Yusuke where entire scenes are framed around him in terms of set-up and punchline, like the bit with the lobsters on the beach would just straight up not be a scene if his punchline wasn't coming in, every line out of the characters mouths is setup and payoff for Yusuke's bit.

Oh yeah I didn't mean to say my enjoyment of the characters was based on something as silly as 'plot importance' but I think the conversation started on something like "yusuke was never plot-important' or maybe I just misinterpreted it.

Yusuke does definitely stand out more though. I just think that he and Ann are similar in that they suffer from getting less stuff to do than the rest of the party, and Haru suffers from it even more. Still like them a bunch though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

precision posted:

I more meant how his voice sounds like nails on chalkboard, not his actual acting skills.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ENOUGH. the official persona party member list, from best to worst, begins HERE.

not counting persona 1 because that game sucked.

BEST TIER
Baofu
Makoto
Eikichi
Maya
Akechi

GREAT TIER
Lisa
Yusuke
Ulala
Yukari
Ryuji
Yosuke
Futaba
Jun

GOOD TIER
Junpei
Rise
Katsuya
Shinjiro
Yukino
Tatsuya
Haru
Mitsuru

MEH TIER
Koromaru
Ann
Naoto
Teddie
Aigis
Morgana
Ken
Yukiko
Chie

BAD TIER
Kanji
Metis

WHO TIER
Fuuka
Akihiko
Eriko
Kei

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Endorph posted:

ENOUGH. the official persona party member list, from best to worst, begins HERE.

not counting persona 1 because that game sucked.

BEST TIER
Baofu
Makoto
Eikichi
Maya
Akechi

GREAT TIER
Lisa
Yusuke
Ulala
Yukari
Ryuji
Yosuke
Futaba
Jun

GOOD TIER
Junpei
Rise
Katsuya
Shinjiro
Yukino
Tatsuya
Haru
Mitsuru

MEH TIER
Koromaru
Ann
Naoto
Teddie
Aigis
Morgana
Ken
Yukiko
Chie

BAD TIER
Kanji
Metis

WHO TIER
Fuuka
Akihiko
Eriko
Kei

Mods?? Mods?????

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You also like bland as gently caress Acheki what is wrong with you

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Where does Labrys fit in this list?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Makoto isn't in a tier of her own

Opinion discarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

You also like bland as gently caress Acheki what is wrong with you

what the gently caress