Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Where does Labrys fit in this list?
spinoff list

GREAT TIER
Marie
Labrys

BAD TIER
Sho

WHO TIER
whoever the hell was in persona q
also whoever the hell was in dancing all night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I actually don't disagree with that list at all.
Well...maybe Kanji.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

spinoff list

GREAT TIER
Marie
Labrys

BAD TIER
Sho

WHO TIER
whoever the hell was in persona q
also whoever the hell was in dancing all night

I'm sorry but why isn't Labrys in best tier??

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All the robot girls are good

And Koromaru is a good boy who deserves pets, not insults

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

if you dont like akechi get the. gently caress out of here

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can't say that in a game with Yusuke.

Yusuke's social link gives him some meaningful growth though. Madarame really blew up his confidence and screwed up his head a good bit and his social link does a nice job of showing him trying to find his artistic sense of purpose again.

We get it though, you don't like the best boy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sea Sponge Run posted:

ftfy

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

Ă¢Â€Â• Corey Dostoyevsky
endorph has rise as best P4 girl which is factually correct

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The thread had a good run. Time to close up shop. It's been tainted now and needs to be purged.

Morgana won't allow it to continue. Put it to bed... forever.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
The point of that list is that Baofu is the best Persona party member and I'm still waiting for a mainstay Hanged Man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Electric Phantasm posted:

what the gently caress

I know right

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Sea Sponge Run posted:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I'm starting Palace 6 now. Some questions/thoughts:

Is the MC supposed to be more powerful than the rest of my team combined? Even before finishing Strength's social link I felt dramatically more powerful than my teammates, and now it's just absurd. Everyone else exists to either re-apply Tetraja, debuff enemies/buff MC, or exploit an elemental weakness. Their damage output is minimal, comparatively speaking. Is that normal? Everyone's equipment is up to date, everyone's around level 51, but my whole game revolves around the MC. I beat Persona 4 a looooong time ago, but I honestly don't remember that ever happening - where MC was the only party member who seemed to matter.

Makoto is the best character besides MC, and Yusuke is close behind. Haru is okay, if a little vanilla; Morgana is a good mascot character; Ryuji is a loving dick; Ann is boring as hell. I think I preferred Persona 4's cast to Persona 5's, but it's a narrow margin, and I like Makoto and Yusuke more than anyone from P4. I liked Ryuji a lot until he was pointlessly cruel to Morgana; it made me wonder if the writers just expected you not to care, but he genuinely kinda sucks in his treatment of the Best Cat, so it really sunk his stock for me.

I thought it would be too obvious for Akechi to be outed as the traitor, but there's no other logical outcome. He doesn't even have any upcoming abilities for leveling his social link; there's no loving way he even lasts past Palace 6. Either he's the traitor, or the traitor is going to kill him, and either way, gently caress Akechi. He's so obviously duplicitous that it defies belief. All it took was hearing his treatment of Makoto during the run-up to Palace 3 to know he's a two-faced little poo poo.

Best MC line choice: "I'm a dad." Runner-up: "We hate the cops."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Because of Atlus Yusuke can not be part of the waifu wars.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Endorph posted:

ENOUGH. the official persona party member list, from best to worst, begins HERE.

not counting persona 1 because that game sucked.

BEST TIER
Baofu
Makoto
Eikichi
Maya
Akechi

GREAT TIER
Lisa
Yusuke
Ulala
Yukari
Ryuji
Yosuke
Futaba
Jun

GOOD TIER
Junpei
Rise
Katsuya
Shinjiro
Yukino
Tatsuya
Haru
Mitsuru

MEH TIER
Koromaru
Ann
Naoto
Teddie
Aigis
Morgana
Ken
Yukiko
Chie

BAD TIER
Kanji
Metis

WHO TIER
Fuuka
Akihiko
Eriko
Kei

I am astonished that someone other than me likes Yosuke.

But you like Marie so we still gotta fight to the death

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

yosuke was very popular in japan if I remember right

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the entire ryuji/morgana arc has them both acting like out of character dumbasses so it was hard for me to really consider that part of either of their characters.

anyway, yeah, the mc in these games is always broken. heck, this game is probably better about it than p4 since some of the party members have semi-unique attributes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like Yosuke.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

the entire ryuji/morgana arc has them both acting like out of character dumbasses so it was hard for me to really consider that part of either of their characters.

It's my least favourite part of the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yosuke is the third best Junpei

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Yosuke is good because he's a dumb idiot with a lot of flaws who owns up to it and makes an effort to better himself.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

I'm starting Palace 6 now. Some questions/thoughts:

Is the MC supposed to be more powerful than the rest of my team combined? Even before finishing Strength's social link I felt dramatically more powerful than my teammates, and now it's just absurd. Everyone else exists to either re-apply Tetraja, debuff enemies/buff MC, or exploit an elemental weakness. Their damage output is minimal, comparatively speaking. Is that normal? Everyone's equipment is up to date, everyone's around level 51, but my whole game revolves around the MC. I beat Persona 4 a looooong time ago, but I honestly don't remember that ever happening - where MC was the only party member who seemed to matter.

Makoto is the best character besides MC, and Yusuke is close behind. Haru is okay, if a little vanilla; Morgana is a good mascot character; Ryuji is a loving dick; Ann is boring as hell. I think I preferred Persona 4's cast to Persona 5's, but it's a narrow margin, and I like Makoto and Yusuke more than anyone from P4. I liked Ryuji a lot until he was pointlessly cruel to Morgana; it made me wonder if the writers just expected you not to care, but he genuinely kinda sucks in his treatment of the Best Cat, so it really sunk his stock for me.

I thought it would be too obvious for Akechi to be outed as the traitor, but there's no other logical outcome. He doesn't even have any upcoming abilities for leveling his social link; there's no loving way he even lasts past Palace 6. Either he's the traitor, or the traitor is going to kill him, and either way, gently caress Akechi. He's so obviously duplicitous that it defies belief. All it took was hearing his treatment of Makoto during the run-up to Palace 3 to know he's a two-faced little poo poo.

Best MC line choice: "I'm a dad." Runner-up: "We hate the cops."

Trust me, you're still going to be surprised.

Dryzen posted:

yosuke was very popular in japan if I remember right

gently caress I clearly had the wrong opinion.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

guts and bolts posted:

I liked Ryuji a lot until he was pointlessly cruel to Morgana; it made me wonder if the writers just expected you not to care, but he genuinely kinda sucks in his treatment of the Best Cat, so it really sunk his stock for me.

Ryuji did nothing wrong. Morgana stop being so loving emo and learn to take a joke.

But really that whole stretch was stupid as gently caress.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I don't even know if Junpei is a good character in battle because I hated him and never used him

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The worst part of the game is the sequence of interminable nude posing scenes, it took me a long time to warm up to Yusuke after that even though I eventually did

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

anyway, yeah, the mc in these games is always broken. heck, this game is probably better about it than p4 since some of the party members have semi-unique attributes.

I like the Morgana part and the beginning of Ryuji but then it get stretched to long.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zore posted:

Yosuke is good because he's a dumb idiot with a lot of flaws who owns up to it and makes an effort to better himself.

Yeah that's more or less my take.

Junpei is the worst Junpei though. God I cannot stand Junpei.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

The worst part of the game is the sequence of interminable nude posing scenes, it took me a long time to warm up to Yusuke after that even though I eventually did
the gag with the jackets owns and yusuke didn't really do anything wrong, from his perspective ann was like 'ehh?' *walks off screen* 'uhhh... suuuuure???'

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wait what the gently caress Kanji is in the BAD TIER in that list

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They should have replaced Morgana's temper tantrum arc with a "group goes on a fun trip" arc.

I know of a good bar where we can all get drunk off the atmosphere owned by a really rad lady who dunks on the regular drunk.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yusuke didn't really do anything wrong wrt the nude modelling poo poo but Ryuji sure did by pushing Ann into it and I felt skeevy as hell when my only dialogue options were "you have to, Ann"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Endorph posted:

the gag with the jackets owns and yusuke didn't really do anything wrong, from his perspective ann was like 'ehh?' *walks off screen* 'uhhh... suuuuure???'

I mean the reason she was there in the first place was because Yusuke blackmailed the team

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

Threatening someone with arrest if they don't strip for you is kind of wrong, imo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
really enjoying the consistent option to have my character just go gently caress YOU PIG the second a cop enters a scene

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The whole thing is just weirdly off tone and goes on waaay too long, skeevy is a good word for it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Yusuke didn't really do anything wrong wrt the nude modelling poo poo but Ryuji sure did by pushing Ann into it and I felt skeevy as hell when my only dialogue options were "you have to, Ann"

Yusuke blackmailed her into it. It was weird and creepy as fuuuuck.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

Yusuke blackmailed her into it. It was weird and creepy as fuuuuck.

I do not remember that sequence as well as I thought I did

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

yusuke threatened mc and ryuji not ann

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dryzen posted:

yusuke threatened mc and ryuji not ann

That is a semantic difference