Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Rock, Statham, Luke, Luda, Tyrese, let's say Deepika Padukone and Han, and a matriarch in Helen Mirren who can get behind the wheel and man assault weapons I will appreciate. I could do with one more Mr Nobody appearance and Theron was good.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I guess I should spoiler this? Even though the "BETRAYAL KISS" is in the trailer, Cipher has a line of dialogue like, "these are advanced sense disorienting grenades, they last an hour" and instead of having the ohHH DAYUM reaction at the kiss, I felt like "Oh, Letty's only imagining the kiss because we've gone into Joker grenades territory" which I was down with, so I was just nodding sagely to myself. I subsequently did have the OH daaamn moment when Dom in the next scene lays on the thick "So was that for you, for me, or for her?" like a thousand year old, pissed off sleepy dragon.

This movie is a total soap opera and that is why it's good.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The success of this franchise has been so bizarre. I wonder if any other franchise could replicate it.

Jurassic Park has a similar split of its leads across sequels, and could presumably have a fifth with Sam Neil, Goldblum, Pratt and anyone else still alive. Pirates of the Caribbean maybe?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ravel posted:

The success of this franchise has been so bizarre. I wonder if any other franchise could replicate it.

Jurassic Park has a similar split of its leads across sequels, and could presumably have a fifth with Sam Neil, Goldblum, Pratt and anyone else still alive. Pirates of the Caribbean maybe?

I have no doubt there are schizophrenic cork board+string abominations in every studio office trying to do exactly this. But it's even more embarrassing to attempt(and fail) to replicate than the Marvel Formula so nobody even has the balls to speak of the Furious Formula publicly

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is there even a formula? The sequels didn't measure up until the fifth film so I'd love to hear a producer explain how they were going to copy the F&F formula, but only the good parts.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Here's the formula.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lobok posted:

Is there even a formula? The sequels didn't measure up until the fifth film so I'd love to hear a producer explain how they were going to copy the F&F formula, but only the good parts.

Hundreds of scribled criss cross notes saying Family

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The "formula" is that a great director was able to make a spinoff of a series that had sputtered, and put enough style and characterization in it to draw the attention of the franchise stakeholders to do a follow-up that surprised everyone with its box office explosion. This allowed that director and the star to craft a film bringing together a bunch of varied characters with a history and legacy that fans appreciated, the same way that the comic book films draw upon audience recognition. The difference is that history came entirely organically from how schizophrenic the styles of each of the previous films were, and putting them all together was a high-risk undertaking that required a master of the craft.

This is not a "formula" anyone can recreate except with time travel and/or a transcendent AI

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lobok posted:

No, but there's no Marvel Formula either, they're just making big flashy movies starring fun loving quippy people doing cool things people want to see and executives respond with "yo we own the rights to frankenstein and the wolf man what if THEY did a team up movie too?? people LOVE team up movies these days!"

the secret ingredient is the "...things people want to see." part but all they have are garbage properties they dont know what to do with. I'm sure this was always the case but it seems super egregious lately. fuckin blade runner sequel 30 years later lmao

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is not a "formula" anyone can recreate except with time travel and/or a transcendent AI

Exactly. Anything else about the success of the franchise is just about making good action movies in general or marketing appeal like "hm, people like good-natured outlaws, and humour, and cool cars, and sex appeal, and women characters who get to do stuff? What a breakthrough!"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Giving people what they want without loving it up in the name of artistry or style is apparently hard to do if you look at the crap WB is putting out.

And part of what made Fast Five so great was how unexpected it was. I think a bunch of people assumed it would be hot garbage. I love me some Rock but his movie career was in the shitter at the time too. You're not going to recreate that surprise anymore

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The other thing I noticed about the franchise is that it's the only film(s) apart from After Earth that I can think of with more than one black lead that isn't explicitly about race or racially coded in some way.

By non racially coded I mean not like Rush Hour or Bad Boys. Denzel was supposed to have Brad Pitt's role in se7en, and Will Smith was courted for Neo. I don't think Morgan Freeman or Laurence Fishbourne would have been cast in those circumstances, that's the sort of thing I mean.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's also a dopey car chase series that managed to attract a serious piece of talent in Justin Lin, who was really hot property. If anyone hasn't seen it, Better Luck Tomorrow is fantastic.

So, you'd need an easily dismissed franchise taken up by some brilliant young auteur who, against all wisdom, threw the full weight of his talent at this ridiculous project, and stuck with it for years, seeing it develop. I guess you could say that Disney is trying that with Star Wars, seeing as Rian Johnson and Colin Trevorrow are doing Star Wars films, but they're doing one each, rather than the franchise becoming their baby.

On top of that, no matter how ridiculous the films, you'd need to be completely sincere in your work.

Yeah, there's not really a formula here.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Uh the formula is pretty obviously spelled out in the series as N2O

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I like the implication of 'Cuban Nos' being that Cuba has a different periodic table.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
So, saw this last night and not seen any of the others. Thread title is accurate, you could play a drinking game to that word. Movie was pretty good at what it was and I didn't really get bored. Completely retarded of course, but I enjoyed it. Random thoughts:

Hacker chick and deputy spyman were terrible.
Vin diesel is awesome.
I love watching the rock kick and throw people.
Jason Statham is Jason Statham.
I'd probably still have sex with Helen Mirren.
Trackers still make unnecessary beeping noises.
I would let Charlize Theron boss me around any day.
Cars go vroom.

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 20, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowman_McK posted:

I like the implication of 'Cuban Nos' being that Cuba has a different periodic table.

If there can be different kinds of sodium chloride I guess there can be different kinds of nitrous oxide.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Regular nos is for quarter mile, Cuban nos for Cuban mile

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

WhyteRyce posted:

Regular nos is for quarter mile, Cuban nos for Cuban mile

aren't cubanos cigars?

fake edit: for smoking people

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Next movie they gotta upgrade to hydrazine

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
https://twitter.com/jenyamato/status/855117414010281984

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
All the more reason to bring Han back. :colbert:

Gisele can come back too, if she's not too busy being Wonder Woman.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Asian markets hate Jason Statham, always killing Han or fighting Jet Li

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

superh posted:

All the more reason to bring Han back. :colbert:

Gisele can come back too, if she's not too busy being Wonder Woman.

Don't worry, after Justice League I'm sure get schedule is gonna clear off real quick as far as that goes.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Ravel posted:

Jurassic Park and Pirates of the Caribbean could replicate the FF success (Pirates is probably neutered somewhat because of Johnny Depp getting people's nerves even before the domestic abuse came up). All three movies had initial releases that had a massive impact on pop culture, and the nostalgia attached to those movies will bring in a large audience no matter what. Of the movies that came out in the last 20 years, the first Fast and the Furious is probably only topped by The Matrix in terms of having a sustained impact on pop culture around the globe.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

TyrantWD posted:

Jurassic Park and Pirates of the Caribbean could replicate the FF success (Pirates is probably neutered somewhat because of Johnny Depp getting people's nerves even before the domestic abuse came up). All three movies had initial releases that had a massive impact on pop culture, and the nostalgia attached to those movies will bring in a large audience no matter what. Of the movies that came out in the last 20 years, the first Fast and the Furious is probably only topped by The Matrix in terms of having a sustained impact on pop culture around the globe.

Harry Potter would probably like a word.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Harry Potter would probably like a word.

The books were the phenomenon, the movies just cashed in on that.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Blair Witch was a pretty big one.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pirates can mirror F&F in that the second and third movies weren't as good as the first, the third one was really kind of stupid, and the forth one was utterly forgettable.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
It's happening y'all

quote:

EXCLUSIVE: Universal is huddling on a spinoff that will focus on the characters originated by Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham and most recently seen in The Fate Of The Furious, sources said. The franchise architects have said they might broaden the universe with spinoffs, and source said this is the one they are pursuing. This is in early stages, but they’ve met on the concept, which sources said will be scripted by Chris Morgan, the chief writer of the series that is hitting new heights with the eighth installment. The idea is for Johnson’s US Diplomatic Security Agent Luke Hobbs to form an unlikely alliance with Statham’s Decker Shaw, for a movie that could conceivably be made while they are figuring the next Fast film. Johnson stepped into the franchise in Fast Five, and Statham established his in Fast & Furious 6. Each began as an antagonist to the core street racing family, but grudgingly earned their way into the circle of trust. There’s not much more to say right now; Morgan hasn’t begun writing, but they are talking. Johnson and Statham certainly showed good chemistry in the new film, which going into its second weekend has grossed $685 million worldwide. The two-hander spinoff seems a clever way to extend a franchise which has shown little signs of running out of gas.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/dwayne-johnson-jason-statham-fate-of-the-furious-spinoff-universal-pictures-1202073677/

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TyrantWD posted:

Of the movies that came out in the last 20 years, the first Fast and the Furious is probably only topped by The Matrix in terms of having a sustained impact on pop culture around the globe.

Nah definitely not. F&F is massively successful but it's hardly a pop culture mainstay. Compared to poo poo like Lord of the Rings and Marvel it's a financial success but that's about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Basically there arent enough toys, games and expanded universe books.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Nah definitely not. F&F is massively successful but it's hardly a pop culture mainstay. Compared to poo poo like Lord of the Rings and Marvel it's a financial success but that's about it.

Well, Marvel is ongoing and knocks out about two movies a year to stay relevant, and I've not heard anyone bring up Lord of the Rings in quite some time. I have no idea what you're using as a metric for pop culture mainstay that Lord of the Rings hits that Fast and the Furious doesn't.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Depends on how popular we're talking but Lord of the Rings will continue to sell books long after people have completely forgotten about F&F. Never mind all the other tie-ins or adaptations or merch it will continue to produce.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Lobok posted:

Depends on how popular we're talking but Lord of the Rings will continue to sell books long after people have completely forgotten about F&F. Never mind all the other tie-ins or adaptations or merch it will continue to produce.

You can buy a Dom's Ice Charger car for Rocket League; there is no LOTR DLC for it.

#MicDrop

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Snowman_McK posted:

Well, Marvel is ongoing and knocks out about two movies a year to stay relevant, and I've not heard anyone bring up Lord of the Rings in quite some time. I have no idea what you're using as a metric for pop culture mainstay that Lord of the Rings hits that Fast and the Furious doesn't.

You said in the last 20 years. F&F is ongoing right now. If you're using 'what is popular today' as your metric then what's the point of looking backwards?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Man I always thought the "F&F goes to space" jokes were unreasonable but they're becoming more and more likely each time a film is released.

I'd also accept a time travel plot that reveals Cipher's dad sabotaged Dom's dad.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

well why not posted:

Man I always thought the "F&F goes to space" jokes were unreasonable but they're becoming more and more likely each time a film is released.

I'd also accept a time travel plot that reveals Cipher's dad sabotaged Dom's dad.

That racer who killed Dom's dad and who he beat with a wrench? Dom.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dom's crew vs Danny Ocean's crew should be the final movie and by them it should have the entirety of Hollywood on both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

You said in the last 20 years. F&F is ongoing right now. If you're using 'what is popular today' as your metric then what's the point of looking backwards?

I'm not. I didn't bring up Marvel or Lord of the Rings.

• Locked thread