Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
today i am going to get high and revisit a film that played a major part in my childhood, the beatles' yellow submarine (1968)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, at least that way you can truly appreciate the import of BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEANIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Avshalom posted:

today i am going to get high and revisit a film that played a major part in my childhood, the beatles' yellow submarine (1968)

I nearly had a panic attack watching that movie sober, I can't imagine watching it while imbibing anything.

why do people let their children watch that movie it's loving terrifying.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

DC Murderverse posted:

I nearly had a panic attack watching that movie sober, I can't imagine watching it while imbibing anything.

I had it on VHS and watched it like 40 times as a kid which is surprising looking back because that movie didn't have any talking animals :shrug:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I have been a Beatles fan ever since though :3:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The minimalism and surrealism of movies in that vein (I think of Yellow Submarine in the same group as stuff like Fantastic Planet or Belladonna of Sadness) freaks me the gently caress out and I get uncomfortable watching even clips from them. I'm totally fine with grossly violent live action movies, but I refuse to watch movies in that style, even though the three that I named are pretty distinct from each other.

Actually surrealism in general can get hosed

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Might I recommend Eraserhead?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Pick posted:

Might I recommend Eraserhead?

I actually own that on Criterion, one day I'm going to get brave enough to actually watch it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

DC Murderverse posted:

The minimalism and surrealism of movies in that vein (I think of Yellow Submarine in the same group as stuff like Fantastic Planet or Belladonna of Sadness) freaks me the gently caress out and I get uncomfortable watching even clips from them. I'm totally fine with grossly violent live action movies, but I refuse to watch movies in that style, even though the three that I named are pretty distinct from each other.

Actually surrealism in general can get hosed

Have you seen the insane animated tv show Superjail?

It's a mix of hyper violence and incredibly fluid surrealism and it makes me queasy to watch but it's loving fascinating

Oh hey here's a clip that specifically references Yellow Submarine: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-cwoM4CKWQE

(Weirdness starts about 1:30 in)

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 20, 2017

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

DC Murderverse posted:

my father is not like other fathers

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Avshalom posted:

my father is not like other fathers

he has a friend named Whittaker and no others

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
he also has a cat named wilson pickett but she is wild and he's been able to pat her three times in like fifteen years. whittaker on the other hand is his soulmate, his friend and confidante

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Watching the original Vampire Hunter D. Its much uglier than Bloodlust, unsurprisingly, but good lord I didn't realize how obviously the Fist of the North Star style carries to it.

DC Murderverse posted:

I actually own that on Criterion, one day I'm going to get brave enough to actually watch it.

Its... not worth it? I found it tedious and I love weird imagery. The Girl in the Radiator Song is great though, basically justifies the movie.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
five minutes in and loving lmao this is incredible. everybody get high and watch yellow submarine right now, especially if you haven't seen it for ages or have never seen it, let's do this, thread adventure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejN1da0tRs

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'll go first, your guide and protector

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i watched this movie about fifty times between the ages of 2 and 12, it formed my entire worldview and at no point do i remember it making anything less than perfect logical and narrative sense to me

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
you'd better all be watching the drat movie or i will shoot you

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
oh poo poo possible seizure warning, i don't know for sure bc i don't have epilepsy but 27 minutes in made my eyes go all weird

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Avshalom posted:

you'd better all be watching the drat movie or i will shoot you

I'm at work bud

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
and er, racism warning for 32 minutes

hedrigall i refuse to believe you have a job. i am a simple farmer

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Avshalom posted:

and er, racism warning for 32 minutes

hedrigall i refuse to believe you have a job. i am a simple farmer

It's not all lion around for hedrigalls

I work in an office! With people!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
in related news, look out for my fursona's first appearance at 34 minutes in

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The youtube version has sides cut off.
Might buy it and watch it again some day though.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

i knew it

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

My parents let my sister watch The Brave Little Toaster every day, and let me watch Return to Oz every day.

Being allowed to watch weird, trippy movies builds character.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Avshalom posted:

i knew it

This only proves some gentlemen prefer blondes, not that all gentlemen prefer blondes.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
when the 20th century is studied in retrospect, yellow submarine will considered one of the pivotal animated works

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Avshalom posted:

when the 20th century is studied in retrospect, yellow submarine will considered one of the pivotal animated works
don't you argue with me on this. i will cut you down

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
in closing, if you let a young child watch this movie repeatedly they will turn out either like me or like hedrigall

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Gosh think what a world that would be :3:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

surf rock posted:

Went to see Your Name and enjoyed it. I didn't know anything about the plot except the body-swapping thing, so I was pretty surprised about where the story went. There are some moments I wish weren't in the film (like the third/fourth/fifth boob-grab or the panty shot), but it seemed like a solid story and the visuals were beautiful.

I do have to say, though, that the anime films I've seen over the past few years are that, When Marnie Was There (loved it, became a big Priscilla Ahn fan), Paprika, and Perfect Blue. So, I'm pretty ready for a straightforward story without time travel or weird mindfuckery at this point, goddamn.

Edit: I feel like some of these suggestions are not entirely sincere.

Barefoot Gen is a grounded, hard hitting anime drama that will make you feel real goddamn emotion.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Flaccid Trip posted:

My parents let my sister watch The Brave Little Toaster every day, and let me watch Return to Oz every day.

this must be true as I am a dirty nogoodnik

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Avshalom posted:

in related news, look out for my fursona's first appearance at 34 minutes in

It's weird to me how the Beatles just up and start singing about how nothing Jeremy's life is right to his face, it's like wow lay off, guys.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
"gently caress you nowhere man and your studies, lets go get high." Beatles me, 1968 today

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pigbuster posted:

It's weird to me how the Beatles just up and start singing about how nothing Jeremy's life is right to his face, it's like wow lay off, guys.

Beatles pioneered making fun of incels

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
See also: Eleanor Rigby

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This was my absolute favourite cartoon as a kid and it's 20 years old today!!

E: OH gently caress IM OLD TOO

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 20, 2017

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Flaccid Trip posted:

I watched Brave Little Toaster as a child but it took watching it as an adult to realize my memories of the film were real and not the products of nightmare fever dreams.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was a little kid who loved being scared and I watched Brave Little Toaster and Watership Down enough that the tapes were worn out by the time I was six. And then I'd turn around and watch that 80's My Little Pony movie almost every day. As such, The Last Unicorn was extremely my thing.
I remember being more scandalized by the swear words than the, upon reflection, odd deal with monster tits in that film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I have never , before this moment, realized how much I absolutely needed an animated version of The Talented Mr. Ripley starring these three characters. :3:

http://i.imgur.com/cVMTYu5.mp4