Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Why compare mundane geometry with the divine figure of a pyramid?
Yusuke has his head on straight. Everyone else is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

He also goes out of his way to fetishize Ann even outside the painting itself.

The fandom just really want him to be gay which is unfortunate

Jesus Christ.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Where does Labrys fit in this list?

Brooklyn tier.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Moltrey posted:

If you didn't tell Goro that Ryuji was a Phantom Thief after the third Palace then smh

My stock in Ryuji suffered a pretty big spike after like Palace 2 and shows no signs of recovering. He's not bad, I just lost all interest in him

I absolutely did tell Akechi Ryuji was a Phantom Thief, and Goro laughed it off because he sucks at everything, including being a detective. The story's conceit of setting him up as your JUSTICE-Y FOIBLE is lame as gently caress, because he's a conniving little shitbird who cares only about his public perception and getting what he wants. Any time that he's not ingratiating himself toward people with more power than him (or who have something he wants), he's dumping on people in the cattiest way. Akechi is a good character in the sense that I actually hate him; I just hope that the writers know that he's a hateable little gently caress, and that I'm not doing Persona 5 wrong.

Ryuji was really awesome in the early stretches of the game, defined by misplaced anger and adolescent invincibility and generally just acting like a badass. He did and said dumb poo poo but his heart always felt like it was in the right place. Then you win palace 2 and he became the worst bro character of the last 3 EDIT: last 3 games, and he hasn't recovered. Even if he gets a redemption arc, it will feel like probably too little too late unless it's really good, because you're basically saying that he's a lovely annoyance for like... half the game.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 20, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think he was creeping, he pretty much owns up to being a piece of poo poo about it at the end of the whole madarame saga and it's a good thing he does because otherwise I would have probably never been ok with him

How it read to me was that his initial request for her to do nude modeling was earnest but then when she got there and started stripping and flirting (lol) his artistic vision became secondary.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Jesus Christ.

I know being slightly effeminate doesn't make you gay it's a lovely attitude to have

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

guts and bolts posted:

I absolutely did tell Akechi Ryuji was a Phantom Thief, and Goro laughed it off because he sucks at everything, including being a detective. The story's conceit of setting him up as your JUSTICE-Y FOIBLE is lame as gently caress, because he's a conniving little shitbird who cares only about his public perception and getting what he wants. Any time that he's not ingratiating himself toward people with more power than him (or who have something he wants), he's dumping on people in the cattiest way. Akechi is a good character in the sense that I actually hate him; I just hope that the writers know that he's a hateable little gently caress, and that I'm not doing Persona 5 wrong.

I think they definitely anticipated this, there's a reason you get dialogue options to be a dick to him and tell him to gently caress off at basically every opportunity

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I got the first twenty seconds of the Palace 4 theme stuck in my head for an hour this morning and you guys talking about pyramids brought it back.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know being slightly effeminate doesn't make you gay it's a lovely attitude to have

You got AIDS my man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Failboattootoot posted:

How it read to me was that his initial request for her to do nude modeling was earnest but then when she got there and started stripping and flirting (lol) his artistic vision became secondary.

I think that is a fair reading.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

guts and bolts posted:

Ryuji was really awesome in the early stretches of the game, defined by misplaced anger and adolescent invincibility and generally just acting like a badass. He did and said dumb poo poo but his heart always felt like it was in the right place. Then you win palace 2 and he became the worst bro character of the last 3, and he hasn't recovered. Even if he gets a redemption arc, it will feel like probably too little too late unless it's really good, because you're basically saying that he's a lovely annoyance for like... half the game.
Goro is good and a better bro character than Ryuji

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

guts and bolts posted:

Ryuji was really awesome in the early stretches of the game, defined by misplaced anger and adolescent invincibility and generally just acting like a badass. He did and said dumb poo poo but his heart always felt like it was in the right place. Then you win palace 2 and he became the worst bro character of the last 3, and he hasn't recovered. Even if he gets a redemption arc, it will feel like probably too little too late unless it's really good, because you're basically saying that he's a lovely annoyance for like... half the game.

Ryuji gets better. He's kind of annoying for the mid-section of the game, and this is largely to help pronounce Makoto's personality and other new characters. He gets some cool moments later.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yusuke will literally never have sex. He is a pure lad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

He's never really much of a bro.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yusuke's volcel

Raxivace posted:

I got the first twenty seconds of the Palace 4 theme stuck in my head for an hour this morning and you guys talking about pyramids brought it back.
trying to find that song was hard till i clicked a track called The Days When My Mother Was There and that was it. that was sad

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He's never really much of a bro.
[ the pic of george costanza holding the bat with the face ]

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Moltrey posted:

Akechi is the most hateable antagonist in recent memory, and if the game kills him off at the hands of the traitor to make me feel bad for hating him, I won't. I still think he's the sellout, though, because the UI/meta-narrative kinda flows that way - he's only Confidant Rank 6 at this point, and he has no further skills to get. Either he's leaving the team because he's dead or he's leaving the team because he's the traitor. He's absolutely leaving the team, though, and I kinda wish they did more to obscure that fact from the player with the game's UI.

Ryuji was a great bro. Now he's insufferable. Thankfully Yusuke picks up the slack.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:ssh: It's still sexual harassment and creepy even if he isn't attracted to Ann

Yusuke has one true love, ART

I think they definitely anticipated this, there's a reason you get dialogue options to be a dick to him and tell him to gently caress off at basically every opportunity

You better believe I kicked him out of the coffee shop everytime he was there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yep

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010
Re: The nude modeling thing, there's actually some dialogue a few days after the second dungeon opens up where Ann texts the group saying Yusuke talked to her, reiterating that he wants everyone to stay away from him and Madarame. Everyone then realizes the reason Yusuke made such a ridiculous demand is to keep the group away from him and Madarame and he absolutely expected Ann to never take him up on it.

You don't get this dialogue at all if you immediately go into the dungeon the first day you can though so lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Might wanna spoiler tag a bit more of that post.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
The characters are all super dependent on the context in which you encounter them.

Makoto is a great character with a great introduction, but her Social Link is the worst in the game among your party members.
Yusuke has a really rocky start, but his Social Link and other select moments are phenomenal.
Ryuji is really cool most of the time but occasionally downs a stupid pill and never gets back on track.
Futaba is perfect, and I will fight you.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

guts and bolts posted:

Akechi is the most hateable antagonist in recent memory, and if the game kills him off at the hands of the traitor to make me feel bad for hating him, I won't. I still think he's the sellout, though, because the UI/meta-narrative kinda flows that way - he's only Confidant Rank 6 at this point, and he has no further skills to get. Either he's leaving the team because he's dead or he's leaving the team because he's the traitor. He's absolutely leaving the team, though, and I kinda wish they did more to obscure that fact from the player with the game's UI.

Ryuji was a great bro. Now he's insufferable. Thankfully Yusuke picks up the slack.
Goro is my good friend who I can own lovingly and mess up his hair he'll never hurt me

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Good because that's dumb.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
yusuke'd gently caress that lobster

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 20, 2017

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I've actually been polite and cordial to Akechi at every opportunity, and agreed with his deductions about the Phantom Thieves even when they were correct and could've jeopardized the plan; it turned out not to matter because LOL, but I was hoping his Persona would be Zenigata and you could spend the whole game being nice to him in public and then dunking on him constantly with Metaverse capers and such.

cheetah7071 posted:

Might wanna spoiler tag a bit more of that post.

I actually don't know what else I'd spoiler there. Akechi being an antagonist? He's... antagonistic toward you from the very beginning. That's basically his introduction in the game?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Moltrey posted:

Goro is my good friend who I can own lovingly and mess up his hair he'll never hurt me

wow what a good image, thanks for posting it

(unironically)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

I absolutely did tell Akechi Ryuji was a Phantom Thief, and Goro laughed it off because he sucks at everything, including being a detective. The story's conceit of setting him up as your JUSTICE-Y FOIBLE is lame as gently caress, because he's a conniving little shitbird who cares only about his public perception and getting what he wants.
this is what makes him the mc's foible, and also what makes him a great and interesting character

akechi is a shitbird and that makes him an interesting and enjoyable character

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Party Bug posted:

yusuke would gently caress that lobster

Yusuke vs Futaba over the fate of the lobsters is one of my absolute favorite moments of the game.
It's made even more special given that Yusuke is flat out broke after purchasing them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What happened to the lobsters? Does Yusuke have a giant fish tank taking up half of his tiny dorm room, which he spends all of his meager money maintaining? The world will never know

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ending spoilers Unfortunately Akechi never once says dippy so therefor he is no good. I'm sorry fans, but you know it to be true.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

[ the pic of george costanza holding the bat with the face ]

When's a time he's a bro? Like I honestly can't remember one. I like the dude a lot but still, broness ain't really part of his character.

The Gorp posted:

Yusuke vs Futaba over the fate of the lobsters is one of my absolute favorite moments of the game.
It's made even more special given that Yusuke is flat out broke after purchasing them.

Yusuke and Futaba's friendship is very good and I love it a lot. There's some pretty strong dynamics between a couple of characters in The Phantom Thieves and it's very good. In p4 outside of Chie and Yukiko and Teddie and Yosuke I guess there's not really any characters I can imagine hanging out outside of the group, but with the Thieves I can totally see it.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Endorph posted:

this is what makes him the mc's foible, and also what makes him a great and interesting character

akechi is a shitbird and that makes him an interesting and enjoyable character

I should amend what I said - I think it's good that he's set up the way that he is, I just don't know how much of it is me hating him in spite of the way he's written or because of it. My next most recent JRPG was FFXV, and that game clearly wanted you to like/sympathize with Gladiolus, who is an unmitigated selfish prick that I hated. P5's writing to this point seems smarter that. I also think I said it earlier that Akechi is a well-drawn character because he's so eminently hateable.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Phantom's Journal: I now realize that my time with the Phantom Thieves was a waste; my quest to become rehabilitated -- misguided. A probationary step in the wrong direction. Sacrifices have to be made. It is regrettable, but the greater good must be served. I am not your puppet anymore, Igor.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Akechi is a beautiful boy but he also kind of pisses me off because he gets on the Thieves' case for operating outside the law when he gleefully does the exact same thing. That's the only reason he has any influence at all - he's an alternative to the authorities who skirts around the grownups due to his age.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yusuke and Futaba's friendship is very good and I love it a lot. There's some pretty strong dynamics between a couple of characters in The Phantom Thieves and it's very good. In p4 outside of Chie and Yukiko and Teddie and Yosuke I guess there's not really any characters I can imagine hanging out outside of the group, but with the Thieves I can totally see it.
the funny thing about chie and yukiko is they barely have any screentime together after the first few hours. their friendship is more told than shown.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Akechi sucks because he's a fuckin cop in a game that's all about hating cops

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Your group clearly had the assistance of someone with digital image manipulation skills? Who was it? Tell me!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

the funny thing about chie and yukiko is they barely have any screentime together after the first few hours. their friendship is more told than shown.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that. But then I thought maybe I just forgot? Because it's been ages since I played p4.

Edit: I remember when playing this game thinking that Ryuji and Ann were similar to Chie and Yukiko in being childhood friends who hang out in a lot of scenes and are obviously close. But then I couldn't recall any substantial scenes after the early game of Chie and Yukiko actually hanging out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

Akechi is a beautiful boy but he also kind of pisses me off because he gets on the Thieves' case for operating outside the law when he gleefully does the exact same thing. That's the only reason he has any influence at all - he's an alternative to the authorities who skirts around the grownups due to his age.

Akechi would be more sympathetic if he had any kind of integrity. Not only does he condemn the Thieves for being extrajudicial alternatives to the cops when he himself is that same thing, he's also needlessly cruel to the Niijima sisters whenever it's not to his advantage to be a sycophantic little poo poo. He has zero sincerity or empathy. And he's not even as pretty as Yusuke. It's like, dude, you're not even as cool as Naoto, who was herself only marginally cool. Real talk.