Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
In hindsight, anytime Chie and Yukiko talk about what good friends they are, I had a hard time believing it

Sea Sponge Run posted:

wow what a good image, thanks for posting it

(unironically)
you're welcome, please don't troll me or goro onlne

SyntheticPolygon posted:

When's a time he's a bro? Like I honestly can't remember one. I like the dude a lot but still, broness ain't really part of his character.
I'm being very hyperbolic, but he singles you out as an interesting person he enjoys talking to and takes time out of his busy schedule to stop and talk to you on his way to work, what a good friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Akechi sucks because he put a giant initial on his briefcase. What a tool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

In hindsight, anytime Chie and Yukiko talk about what good friends they are, I had a hard time believing it
i also like that their shadows reveal an insanely hosed up dynamic in their relationship and they never talk about it. like they go 'sorry yukiko 'sorry chie' but then it just never gets addressed. they don't develop in their relationship as the game goes on, they don't talk about it again, anything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

I'm being very hyperbolic, but he singles you out as an interesting person he enjoys talking to and takes time out of his busy schedule to stop and talk to you on his way to work, what a good friend!

Friendship and broness are very different, and I was just confused by your statement!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

guts and bolts posted:

Akechi would be more sympathetic if he had any kind of integrity. Not only does he condemn the Thieves for being extrajudicial alternatives to the cops when he himself is that same thing, he's also needlessly cruel to the Niijima sisters whenever it's not to his advantage to be a sycophantic little poo poo. He has zero sincerity or empathy. And he's not even as pretty as Yusuke. It's like, dude, you're not even as cool as Naoto, who was herself only marginally cool. Real talk.

Naoto is the coolest because she built me a custom watch and used a handcannon for a weapon. I think the gun was bigger than she was, to be honest.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

guts and bolts posted:

Akechi would be more sympathetic if he had any kind of integrity. Not only does he condemn the Thieves for being extrajudicial alternatives to the cops when he himself is that same thing, he's also needlessly cruel to the Niijima sisters whenever it's not to his advantage to be a sycophantic little poo poo. He has zero sincerity or empathy. And he's not even as pretty as Yusuke. It's like, dude, you're not even as cool as Naoto, who was herself only marginally cool. Real talk.
Naoto is literally the most boring person in Persona 4, a game with Yukiko. Goro's cattyness to Makoto is an interesting character trait that he carries around when talking to anyone not really you. Goro also seems to legit respect Sae's opinion on the matters, and she also seems to enjoy Goro's company

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i also like that their shadows reveal an insanely hosed up dynamic in their relationship and they never talk about it. like they go 'sorry yukiko 'sorry chie' but then it just never gets addressed. they don't develop in their relationship as the game goes on, they don't talk about it again, anything.

I don't like that.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I doubt it's going to happen, but I'd love a Nocturne-themed costume set. Ever since I first saw Yusuke I couldn't stop thinking about how if you gave him some casual pajamas he'd look just like Hikawa.

I ran out roles to assign to party members, though, as there's only 2 women and 4 men who survive the Conception.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If cool gifts are signs of the best characters, Fuuka makes a custom set of headphones for you.

Coincidentally, cool gifts are the sign of the best characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every video game should have the skit system from the tales series, and that includes persona

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, I was gonna mention that. But then I thought maybe I just forgot? Because it's been ages since I played p4.

other scenes that probably should've been in p4 in some way to flesh out character relationships in a game where that's in theory the whole point but weren't b/c it's a bad game:

- yosuke explaining to his parents why this gaijin with a bear costume has to live with them, and that they should give him a job
- a scene where kanji and yukiko acknowledge the fact that their moms are friends and thus they've probably been acquaintances for years
- a scene where rise interacts with literally anyone in the group besides as another head of the proverbial hydra in the "the girls are all doing a thing" scenes

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Moltrey posted:

Naoto is literally the most boring person in Persona 4, a game with Yukiko. Goro's cattyness to Makoto is an interesting character trait that he carries around when talking to anyone not really you. Goro also seems to legit respect Sae's opinion on the matters, and she also seems to enjoy Goro's company

I think Naoto works as the straight man to your party full of crazy people (which in my playthrough included the protagonist)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Can I just say gently caress demon negotiation? I don't give a poo poo about the demon type and what responses they like when it makes no sense what is what kind of answer.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

every video game should have the skit system from the tales series, and that includes persona

:yeah:

darealkooky posted:

other scenes that probably should've been in p4 in some way to flesh out character relationships in a game where that's in theory the whole point but weren't b/c it's a bad game:

- yosuke explaining to his parents why this gaijin with a bear costume has to live with them, and that they should give him a job
- a scene where kanji and yukiko acknowledge the fact that their moms are friends and thus they've probably been acquaintances for years
- a scene where rise interacts with literally anyone in the group besides as another head of the proverbial hydra in the "the girls are all doing a thing" scenes

I remember Rise actually gets a couple of scenes being sort of a poo poo to Kanji and Kanji not taking it. Which I recall enjoying.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Neurion posted:

I doubt it's going to happen, but I'd love a Nocturne-themed costume set.

where is my loving DDS/embryon outfits + atma avatar personas atlus you hack frauds

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Naoto can't sanction the group's tomfoolery. We're just a group of lovable imbeciles around here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

That would really help the group dynamics but persona doesn't seem to give a poo poo about that.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I think the skit system would make things drag on if they weren't good. Sure it would give you more time when things were thought out but it could just as easily lead to terrible poo poo like.

-----begin skit-----
"Hey, who ate my steak?"
"I did"
"Don't do that"
"okay"
"You're all idiots"
-------end skit-----

The Mementos conversations are short enough and good enough. Most of the time that is.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rise honestly didn't give the slightest care for anyone but the main character but she made a half-hearted effort to mask it most of the time

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

this is what makes him the mc's foible, and also what makes him a great and interesting character

akechi is a shitbird and that makes him an interesting and enjoyable character

I really enjoyed feeding him his own teeth.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

Yeah! they both acknowledge that they use the other person for selfish reasons and are really the only person the other talks to, which is some real dark look into how teenagers cant interact with each other, but it gets tossed aside so yukiko can laugh at things and chie can be confused but still have a better handle on the plot than most other people

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

I feel like the IM chats in p5 function a little like that

Incidentally, the IM chats in p5 are real good and one of my favorite parts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Gorp posted:

I think the skit system would make things drag on if they weren't good. Sure it would give you more time when things were thought out but it could just as easily lead to terrible poo poo like.

-----begin skit-----
"Hey, who ate my steak?"
"I did"
"Don't do that"
"okay"
"You're all idiots"
-------end skit-----

The Mementos conversations are short enough and good enough. Most of the time that is.
well yeah but ive never seen a skit that bad in a proper tales game so

CharlestheHammer posted:

That would really help the group dynamics but persona doesn't seem to give a poo poo about that.
it's weird because p3 actually did have some side stuff between non-MC party members, like mitsuru's awakening scene was between her and yukari with no mc in sight, and ken and akihiko have a convo about shinji before the final battle, and aigis and koro have a few scenes of them figuring stuff out together and all. and sometimes you'd just randomly run into party members hanging out, like junpei and yukari went to the mall and that's why they aren't available to s. link since they're hanging out together.

And P3 is the one of the three that *doesn't* push the 'the party are best friends and that's why they're strong' thing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

The conversations as you're running around Mementos are kind of like those. I liked Yusuke just offhandedly mentioning he donated blood the other day and stuff like that.

Tales style skits would be good too though.

E;fb

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 20, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fabricated posted:

Can I just say gently caress demon negotiation? I don't give a poo poo about the demon type and what responses they like when it makes no sense what is what kind of answer.

it's not that hard

timid like most ridiculous answers, irritable needs you to take no poo poo and be direct, gloomy requires a teenager's preconception of what mysterious and cool is

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

The Gorp posted:

I just wish they wouldn't be interrupted by taking literally any action. Sooo many lines I never heard the end of because they started talking just as I attacked a shadow, or because I was spotted, or I opened a menu, or a chest, or a door, or...

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

No Mods No Masters posted:

Rise honestly didn't give the slightest care for anyone but the main character but she made a half-hearted effort to mask it most of the time
Rise's here solely because she's a horny teen and there's a hot guy and also working at a tofu shop is probably way less cool than this and hell i respect that

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

yukiko and chie using the "opposite" elements that you'd expect from their first glance character design/personality is a genuinely really cool idea, the only other examples I can think of are yosuke having hilariously bad luck and basically junpeis entire moveset and stat spread

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Moltrey posted:

Naoto is a bad character in my opinion, or at least a boring one; Akechi is definitely not boring, and I actually find him a more satisfying character overall than almost anyone from Persona 4. It's just that I hate him. A lot. Like, one of my only problems with P5, small as it is, has been that the palace masters seem to get less and less interesting and hateable as the game progresses; Kamoshida inspired like a genuine and sincere disgust in me. I loving hated that guy. The writing is good - he's meant to be viscerally hated - but yeah, I hated him.

What makes Akechi interesting is, to me, that he is so hateable, and that thinking on it, the narrative never really tries to be favorable toward him - he's missing a lot of the standard JRPG tricks and framing that are usually present to say "hey, you should like this person, they're determined!/allies of justice!/badass!" The game kinda does just let you hate him. Which is good!

I also think that a lot of my fond recollections of Persona 4's cast are owed to how long ago I played it. I only played the vanilla game, never Golden, and I beat it like... within weeks of release, then never played it again. It was a really good experience for me at the time, but my memory on it is hazy. I remember Chie and Yukiko being kinda bland but not badly-drawn characters, and that seems to be contradictory to the general consensus. So maybe I do like P5's cast the best, too?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moltrey posted:

Yeah! they both acknowledge that they use the other person for selfish reasons and are really the only person the other talks to, which is some real dark look into how teenagers cant interact with each other, but it gets tossed aside so yukiko can laugh at things and chie can be confused but still have a better handle on the plot than most other people

I'm not sure what resolution you'd expect from such a scenario, but the fact is is that their unhealthy view of their friendship stemmed from their equally unhealthy views of themselves. By both attaining their Personas and nurturing their true selves, they remain friends and shed off the baggage that was stifling them before. It helps as well that their social circle basically becomes much larger and remains that way constantly for a full year.
By the end of that time, they've literally been fighting in life-or-death struggles by one another's sides, and that's enough to build a pretty strong foundation to a friendship.

Yukiko and Chie both lack confidence in who they are/want to be. Chie wants to be Yukiko and Yukiko wants to be Chie, but by the end of the game both Chie and Yukiko are happy with the skin they are in.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

it's weird because p3 actually did have some side stuff between non-MC party members

something that always stood out to me is that besides fuuka MC isn't ever around when someone joins SEES. they're either already established or akihiko or something just loving finds them in an alleyway offscreen

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Endorph posted:

Most of the skits I remember from Abyss, Vesperia, and Zestiria are loving awful garbage that progress nothing, and exist so they'd get mileage out of their "sweatdrop-descending.png" art when someone ate someone else's candy or whatever. I think I would hate skits in Persona, since social links feel like a better version thereof.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

yukiko and chie using the "opposite" elements that you'd expect from their first glance character design/personality is a genuinely really cool idea, the only other examples I can think of are yosuke having hilariously bad luck and basically junpeis entire moveset and stat spread
aigis having a surprisingly supportive moveset as she levels up is a neat touch since it reflects her going from shadow-kill-bot to wanting to protect the mc. also teddie having literally every type of move in the game reflected the fact that he hadn't found himself yet and was trying to figure out who and what he was.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In the same vein, they gave Haru a screwy guns and psy and reflects based moveset to signify the tumult and lack of focus that results from a character being introduced late in development

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

CaptainRat posted:

Your group clearly had the assistance of someone with digital image manipulation skills? Who was it? Tell me!

I definitely had some fun moments thinking of what sae's going to say about a confidant. "You must have had someone real good at video games, tell me who!"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm not sure what resolution you'd expect from such a scenario, but the fact is is that their unhealthy view of their friendship stemmed from their equally unhealthy views of themselves. By both attaining their Personas and nurturing their true selves, they remain friends and shed off the baggage that was stifling them before. It helps as well that their social circle basically becomes much larger and remains that way constantly for a full year.
By the end of that time, they've literally been fighting in life-or-death struggles by one another's sides, and that's enough to build a pretty strong foundation to a friendship.

Yukiko and Chie both lack confidence in who they are/want to be. Chie wants to be Yukiko and Yukiko wants to be Chie, but by the end of the game both Chie and Yukiko are happy with the skin they are in.

They just don't really address it with each other at all which is weird.

Outside of like how epilogue Yukiko is wearing blue instead of red, since Chie told her she looks best in red, and Chie's dressing a bit more feminine showing she's not as intimidated by Yukiko anymore and always unfavourably comparing herself to her. But it takes the entire game and a re-release for it to come up. And even then it's just a reference through the design.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
They made Goro's skillset insanely good because he's the best character

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Fabricated posted:

I like it and I think it's cool and good that we get to fight jack frosts as opposed to say, a fuckin table

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

guts and bolts posted:

Most of the skits I remember from Abyss, Vesperia, and Zestiria are loving awful garbage that progress nothing, and exist so they'd get mileage out of their "sweatdrop-descending.png" art when someone ate someone else's candy or whatever. I think I would hate skits in Persona, since social links feel like a better version thereof.

I played Beseria and they were very good and much better than the at times sterile social links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

i dont think you remember skits very well, then, because there's lots of funny ones and also ones that expand a ton on characterization and worldbuilding, and i cant even remember one like what you're describing.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 20, 2017