Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Slugworth posted:

What?? Refs, we need a ruling on this. I'm saying it's definitely carpet.

To be honest, I really can't tell whether it is a carpet or those cheap stone floorings that are white (that turn beige soon enough) with black speckles that you find in cheap public buildings or hospitals, and I don't think that's called marble.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Ashcans posted:

I don't think the risk is that its going to shock the fountain or its user, it's that the water is hitting the wall and flowing down the outlet. Isn't there a good chance that getting the wall that wet will close the circuit in the outlet and short the whole thing?

It's probably almost impossible to shock the fountain user because of the droplets, yeah. And just getting the wall soaked isn't likely to cause a short. Even the water flowing over the face of the outlet isn't that likely to short in my experience, but that is a risk. Somebody spraying the water for a longer than normal time to take pictures or if there were a gym class all using the fountain is a lot of dice rolls, but the water is going to tend to flow down to the carpet fast enough that you won't really have much water at the socket to close the circuit at any given moment.

The real crappy thing something so damned easy to fix has been happening long enough to leave those stains on the carpet and bleach the wood.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The wet bits look more like soaked carpet than freestanding water on marble

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Nah. That's not the standard water fountain they use, and the walls aren't covered in that burlap looking stuff they use.

You're right, it doesn't have the massive backsplash. Public library?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it's thick carpet that is now full of mold, not limescale. It would take years to build up that amount of limescale.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

I think it's thick carpet that is now full of mold, not limescale. It would take years to build up that amount of limescale.

Could be foam from soap left in the carpet.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think it's concrete.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I think it's concrete.

How much concrete, would you say?

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Jordanis posted:

How much concrete, would you say?

About 28 and a half stone.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Nah all it takes is one spill on a dirty carpet to make a big nasty splash ring.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

That's definitely carpet.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Pretty dry, but if you're interested in the results of an independent evaluation regarding the causes of the failure of the oroville dam spillway failure, check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqai2FodQg

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

`Nemesis posted:

Pretty dry, but if you're interested in the results of an independent evaluation regarding the causes of the failure of the oroville dam spillway failure, check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqai2FodQg
Pretty dry

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

HardDiskD posted:

To be honest, I really can't tell whether it is a carpet or those cheap stone floorings that are white (that turn beige soon enough) with black speckles that you find in cheap public buildings or hospitals, and I don't think that's called marble.

Here's a link to it in 2429x3238 so you can see all that glorious carpet
http://i.imgur.com/WZMj5fe.jpg

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

immoral_ posted:

About 28 and a half stone.

Or about 4.01785714 quintals

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

`Nemesis posted:

https://imgur.com/KfRHWm1

I made this image with Sentinel 1 SAR imagery. That blue band is the water level change at the resovoir from last summer till the spillway thing.

Psycho Donut Killer
Nov 29, 2000

It's All about the Poontang, Baby!
Good luck changing out the air conditioner.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Psycho Donut Killer posted:

Good luck changing out the air conditioner.

You usually install them from the inside, so shouldn't be a problem (assuming the new one fits)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

https://imgur.com/KfRHWm1

I made this image with Sentinel 1 SAR imagery. That blue band is the water level change at the resovoir from last summer till the spillway thing.

This is totes off-topic to the thread but I always get excited when I see someone else in the SAR industry in the wild (I work for the Alaska Satellite Facility and Sentinel 1 A/B are a major part of our effort right now.)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bad Munki posted:

This is totes off-topic to the thread but I always get excited when I see someone else in the SAR industry in the wild (I work for the Alaska Satellite Facility and Sentinel 1 A/B are a major part of our effort right now.)

100% off topic as well but jealous as hell. I did a ton of geomatics work in Uni, but graduated when the economy took a dive and, well, back to tech support for me.

I miss making maps and such :(

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if y'all mapping goons are looking for some sexy lidar mapping stuff pm me

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Pm sent...

I think it was posted in this thread where that leaning tower in San Francisco was shown to be leaning from Sentinel 1 derived inferrometry. Here it is again to get back on topic. Tl:Dr is some luxury high-rise built recently on reclaimed land is sinking.

http://m.esa.int/Our_Activities/Observing_the_Earth/Copernicus/Sentinel-1/Satellites_confirm_sinking_of_San_Francisco_tower

Edit,. More content:

https://imgur.com/gallery/5ryxS

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 21, 2017

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

GIS thread? :fap:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"This very old model house jack was in a crawl space underneath the fireplace hearth in this home I inspected. "

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tunicate posted:

"This very old model house jack was in a crawl space underneath the fireplace hearth in this home I inspected. "

I've been a soldier quite a while
And I would like to state
The life is simply wonderful
The Army food is great

I sleep with ninety-seven others in a wooden hut
I love them all
They all love me
It's very lovely but

Oh! How I hate to get up in the morning
Oh! How I'd love to remain in bed

For the hardest blow of all
Is to hear the bugler call
Ya gotta get up
Ya gotta get up
Ya gotta get up this morning

Someday I'm going to murder the bugler
Someday they're going to find him dead

I'll amputate his reveille
And step upon it heavily
And spend the rest of my life in bed

And then I'll get that other pup
The guy who wakes the bugler up

\/\/just post\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 23, 2017

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Is an R.V. trailer allowed in the crappy construction thread? Maybe it would be better suited to AI.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm​ pretty sure we spent multiple pages on a single 400 lb block of concrete. Just post, friend.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Imgur has some good ones occasionally.

http://imgur.com/a/adLKN

I was looking at this deck picture for the footings under the tower and didn't see anything:

Then there was this one where they basically screwed the framing for the tower to the garage on one side and the house on the other but only to the eaves of the house. And then plopped it right on the deck.

Any guesses as to the life span of this tower? I'm guessing the first spring wind storm will rip it from the house.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

this is what inspired that monstrous tower?

zero architectural taste

e: lol this was a downvoted "bad" comment

quote:

Incredible waste of money. Also garage walls just horizontally strapped, not exactly structurally sound. Oh well, more time than sense.

e2: and he built it in front of a window on his house?? great move all around

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 24, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's the Reddit thread, he's rightly getting poo poo on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/67653u/added_a_tower_to_our_house_because_you_know_every/?st=J1W97ZC8&sh=e8b583c1

Someone asked about dynamic wind loads on a tower that is basically a giant sale attached to facia boards and his response was "it was windy last week and didn't fall down"

Also someone made the point that the lumber sitting on top of the decking means it will act as a giant wick and rot it out from the inside.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

"Reddit is like one big giant collection of "What the gently caress did the previous owner do to this house"

You realize you just built a 30 foot tall tower *on top of a loving deck with no foundation*? Are you functionally retarded or are you just trying to murder your family and get away with it? One strong wind from behind the house and that whole thing is going to fall over and pull the soffits off both your roofs, you moron. See the one you photographed? See how it is built by the builders of the home and structural integrated to the foundation of the house? See how all you did was built a room on stilts and mount it on a deck right the middle of the breezeway between your garage and your house? yeah. that's because you're too dumb to function.

This is worse than the last 4 "basement kindling-filled deathtrap speakeasy" conversions that front page'd

Remember the episode of King of the Hill where Dale built a 29 foot tall tower in his backyard because it skirted under the zoning?

Yeah, you built your daughter a club house at the top of the punch line of an animated sitcom.

**loving.**

**Moron.**"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

why are there no gutters on that house

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Uh, did he build the entire garage with no foundation too?

Its just sitting the grass..

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

brugroffil posted:

why are there no gutters on that house

IDK snow maybe? I've no idea.

Neutrino posted:

Imgur has some good ones occasionally.

http://imgur.com/a/adLKN

I was looking at this deck picture for the footings under the tower and didn't see anything:

Then there was this one where they basically screwed the framing for the tower to the garage on one side and the house on the other but only to the eaves of the house. And then plopped it right on the deck.

Any guesses as to the life span of this tower? I'm guessing the first spring wind storm will rip it from the house.

Those loving "shutters"

Look like loving pieces of pallet painted white and nailed to the wall

Edit: Wait is this like groverhaus

emocrat posted:

That loving ladder!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

emocrat posted:

I'd call it a pole shed, really. Those just have posts sunk in the dirt, nothing weird there. Assuming they're actually sunk and not also just sitting on the grass. Although he then went and attached it to the house...

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

emocrat posted:

I'm hoping those posts are set in concrete, but I'm guessing that didn't happen. And why you'd frame grass on the inside of your garage rather than tearing it up and pouring a concrete pad first is baffling. I'm wondering if he has some weird patch of dirt or something along that wall of his garage now.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that building inspectors and permits were 0% involved in any of these projects.

Spookydonut posted:

IDK snow maybe? I've no idea.
Those loving "shutters"

Look like loving pieces of pallet painted white and nailed to the wall

I live in the midwest and all of the homes around here have gutters. He mentions Menards in one of his posts, so he's a midwestener too.

All of "omg! that's so beautiful!" comments are making me seriously angry.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

brugroffil posted:

I'm hoping those posts are set in concrete, but I'm guessing that didn't happen. And why you'd frame grass on the inside of your garage rather than tearing it up and pouring a concrete pad first is baffling. I'm wondering if he has some weird patch of dirt or something along that wall of his garage now.

It looks like there is a concrete pad in the garage from another imgur gallery:

It's hard to see the details so its anyone's guess if he just poured the slab around the posts...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Neutrino posted:

It's hard to see the details so its anyone's guess if he just poured the slab around the posts...

*IF* the posts are sunk, and *IF* he put expansion board around them, and *IF* he put down a gravel bed, it's fine to "just" pour in around the posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That entire project is reminding me of McMansion Hell -- you have the original, normally-proportioned house, then you have the gigantic car-housing tumor (complete with oversized dormers!), and then you have the obligatory turret/tower/Look We Made A Tall Thing.