Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
P sure fire is The Worst Infusion???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
its fine until you find something better. it also makes the big black snake things scream

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

What do you guys infuse your basic long swords with?

The Longsword is so versatile you can infuse it with literally anything and it'll work fine. Raw and Fire are the obvious early choices but it even handles the late-game elemental infusions elegantly.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Filthy Monkey posted:

I've never enjoyed pure spellcasters that much. It is powerful, but tends to fall a little flatter on DLC bosses. That said, of the spellcaster builds in DS3, I probably had the most fun with onyx blade pyro. It really is a solid weapon, and you can even get it really early with a bit of a jog and some cliff cheesing.

Personally, my favorite way to play souls games is big strength, big vigor, big endurance, and big vitality. Simple, but effective. Wield huge weapons! Wear huge armor! Have a fuckton of hp! Smash things! In the original dark souls, I enjoyed rolling with the black iron armor, the BKGA, and artorius's greatshield. Needless to say, Ledo's fuckoff hammer is my favorite weapon of the new DLC.

Pure casters don't really exist in DS3. Magic is meant to compliment your melee.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your Computer posted:

lmao no, friendship is for nerds :colbert:

Are spellcaster runs Fun & Cool now with the changes, though? My problem with spellcasting in the Souls games has always been that it's cumbersome to use and often doesn't offer much benefit (aka. spells deals less than a couple of (easier, safer) R1's, buffed weapon on spellcaster deals the same damage as non-buffed weapon on STR/DEX user). I guess it might still be fun for the variety?

Dunno what's changed since release but if it hasn't been nerfed, sorcery is mad powerful. A bunch of the spells are useless or pointless compared to throwing some variety of soul arrow or soul spear at things, which is disappointing, but you won't lack for damage on the good stuff. Some bosses will be much harder and some will be much easier than for a non-magic character, which feels exactly like how it should be. I thought champion gundam was the hardest boss in the game the first time I played when I was using dex, and then I killed him in under 30 seconds as a wizard. :smugwizard:

Did they do a dark souls 2 with the DLCs and give everything absurd resistance to non-physical damage? Or is magic still good there?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Your Computer posted:

Started as a Pyromancer and used a Falchion that I eventually upgraded to Quelaag's Furysword.

This is honestly kind of the thing that I think the Internet ruined for everyone. Just kind of finding your favorite weapon, not knowing much what the others did or How Good they were, and keeping on building it towards whatever you happened to find, eventually either getting it to maximum enhancement or into a boss soul weapon and finishing the game that way.

Now it seems like a lot of people just check wikis and such on their first runs instead of experiencing the game on their own -- especially on PC.

I consciously tried to avoid spoilers and wikis for my first playthrough of DS3 and I think it improved the experience a lot for me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Digirat posted:

Did they do a dark souls 2 with the DLCs and give everything absurd resistance to everything non-physical? Or is magic still good there?

GCFO still completely obliterates everything in its path. Most of the things, as one might expect, have extremely high Dark resistances.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't know why I keep trying to use whips in PvP builds. It always ends in disappointment.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
So yeah this PvP boss fight is kind of the best thing

It's probably really frustrating if you don't have a Perseverance weapon though! But I do, so I get to smear a bunch of Spears with my greathammer because they act like they're invincible

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gave up the ghost and summoned for Gael. Actually a pretty fun fight with 2 people, although I think my goonbro put in more legwork than I did. We both had one hit left and no Estus at the end. Now that it's over I think I liked Ringed City even though it grated my nerves a lot of the time. I still like AOA way better but I realize I'm in the minority there.

I don't think I'm even going to bother with Midir though. Blech that is just too much for me.

On that note what the gently caress is up with none of the DLC having trophies? Is that all platforms or just PS4?

Also, Old Hunters still reigns supreme Fromsoft DLC.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I really loved the Lapp questline. I knew exactly who it was, but he was so polite I wanted to help him. He even gave me his armor at the end!

Really? He gave me his armor about five seconds after I figured out who he was. And 1000 souls.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pwnstar posted:

CURSE-ROTTED GREATWOOD
Ever since its establishment, all manner of curses have managed to seep into the Undead Settlement. The worst of them were sealed away inside a spirit tree, but eventually the curses took their toll.

This is basically the sole reason why I want a sci-fi souls honestly. Just so I can have radioactive glowing bosses instead of flaming demon bosses.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ragnar34 posted:

Really? He gave me his armor about five seconds after I figured out who he was. And 1000 souls.

you missed out on one of the best npc sidequests in the game

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Nuebot posted:

This is basically the sole reason why I want a sci-fi souls honestly. Just so I can have radioactive glowing bosses instead of flaming demon bosses.

would The Surge count? The new game by the Lords of the Fallen guys, where you fight mechs in a powered exoskeleton?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I felt really stupid for not realizing who it was until I saw him in his signature dump taking stance but I was chatting the whole time in a party so I didn't recognize the VA. when he was on the balcony I thought it was Solaire for a second.

1/10 pit kick patches. 10/10 armor drop though that poo poo looks awesome

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Have they mentioned anything about a Game of the Year version yet? I've been holding out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why hold out? you can buy the game and DLC for the same price a GOTY version would cost or less already.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is honestly kind of the thing that I think the Internet ruined for everyone. Just kind of finding your favorite weapon, not knowing much what the others did or How Good they were, and keeping on building it towards whatever you happened to find, eventually either getting it to maximum enhancement or into a boss soul weapon and finishing the game that way.

Now it seems like a lot of people just check wikis and such on their first runs instead of experiencing the game on their own -- especially on PC.

I consciously tried to avoid spoilers and wikis for my first playthrough of DS3 and I think it improved the experience a lot for me.

I know what you mean but that's a funny example. Falchion -> furysword was super common, that's what everyone seemed to be using in the first couple weeks, because those are the only two pure DEX swords that most people will find unless they're specifically looking for the other ones.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

would The Surge count? The new game by the Lords of the Fallen guys, where you fight mechs in a powered exoskeleton?

Lords of Fallen was bad. But who knows, maybe this game won't be?

Vengarr posted:

Have they mentioned anything about a Game of the Year version yet? I've been holding out.

Yes. Nothing's different. It's not going to be another scholar style re-release that shifts everything up.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Uncle w Benefits posted:

What do you guys infuse your basic long swords with?
raw until it stops being worth it and then refined(assuming I am getting str/dex)

double nine posted:

How does the chloranthy ring stack with other stamina buffs? Does wearing the chloranthy ring in combination with green blossom and/or the grass crest shield?

Because I'm not seeing it and I'm wondering if I miss something.
They all stack. It's just that it can be hard to notice individual boosts when you have more than one.

Normal stamina recovery is 45 points per second.
Green blossom adds 5 points per second(slightly more than +11% of base).
Grass crest shield and chloranthy ring both add 7 points per second(slightly more than +15% of base)
Chloranthy ring+3 adds 11 points per second(slightly more than +24% of base)

You will notice that chloranthy+3 is more than 50% better than grass crest shield, and more than double the benefit of the temporary boost a green blossom gives you(and without the downside of taking the time to eat one). I haven't bothered using green blossoms at all in ds3, really.

To compare: in dark souls 1, green blossoms raised stamina recovery by 40 points per second. They are 8 times worse than that in this game!
I think much of the pvp community hasn't caught on yet that they're a waste of time

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 20, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I always liked that the description for green blossoms in DS2 said that they were overharvested to the point of near-extinction.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I always liked that the description for green blossoms in DS2 said that they were overharvested to the point of near-extinction.

i think i have about a hundred in storage atm

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Pure casters don't really exist in DS3. Magic is meant to compliment your melee.

Pure sorcery exists, you have to go all-in on int and att for sorcery to be good anyway.

Pure faith doesn't really exist for PvE because you don't even get an offensive faith spell until Farron Keep and even then non-buff/heal faith spells are kinda awful until the endgame (when they still aren't super).

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Nuebot posted:

Lords of Fallen was bad. But who knows, maybe this game won't be?

I've seen a couple of streams, and....it almost looks worse than LotF (gameplay-wise, not graphically). I don't know if they were just playing an early build or what. I'd like for it to not suck since I'm kind of burned out on the Souls games, but I'm not getting my hopes up for this one, regardless of how much I want a sci-fi Souls-like.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 20, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my current hobby:

sunlight talisman+60 faith+both miracle boosting rings+sunlight spear

bait someone, especially someone with a big dumb weapon(ex:twin greatswords, ledo's) into using a big dumb attack, hit L2 and poise through it, smash dicks with counter damage point blank sunlight spear for sometimes as high as 800 damage

:madmax:

(ps: turns out sunlight spear has splash damage?)

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Johnny Joestar posted:

you missed out on one of the best npc sidequests in the game

I never saw or met Lapp in my TRC playthrough, because fromsoft doesn't know how quests work.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nuebot posted:

ok, here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylIluwqONE0

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

swamp waste posted:

I know what you mean but that's a funny example. Falchion -> furysword was super common, that's what everyone seemed to be using in the first couple weeks, because those are the only two pure DEX swords that most people will find unless they're specifically looking for the other ones.

Really? :saddowns: I thought I found a super unique and cool weapon. Wasn't everyone doing STR or using a katana back then?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i never saw anyone use a falchion until everyone started copying Oroboroses build. I mostly saw katanas, greatswords, giantdad larpers and estoc users from what i remember. Then later on the Oroboros build. Though i only started playing during PC era so who knows what people did before that.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I never saw or met Lapp in my TRC playthrough, because fromsoft doesn't know how quests work.

You can go back and do it at any time. I just took a goon through it last night who had already beaten gael.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I'm a goon. Would you hold my hand?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I'm a goon. Would you hold my hand?

Are you on PS4? Add me mandggaming and I will.

I'm east coast and we use LASERTAG as a password in our goonventures and jolly co-op.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thread, what do you consider to be the coolest, most useful and/or weapon arts? (for PvE)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Paracelsus posted:

Pure sorcery exists, you have to go all-in on int and att for sorcery to be good anyway.

Pure faith doesn't really exist for PvE because you don't even get an offensive faith spell until Farron Keep and even then non-buff/heal faith spells are kinda awful until the endgame (when they still aren't super).

You're not getting "relevant" sorcery stats until carthus, if you let everyone one shot you and use a dagger

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Another weapon art question, does Yorshka's Spear's WA do nothing in PvE? Is it the only weapon that does literally nothing against enemies and only works against players?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Thread, what do you consider to be the coolest, most useful and/or weapon arts? (for PvE)

dex: claws, yuria scythe, pontiff knight curved sword, old wolf curved sword, carthus curved (great)sword.
someone else do str

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why are both the ways to get mound makers so obscure and failable

I've beaten the game with 2 different characters now, and this second one has also done NG+ content, and I only just found out how to do it by looking it up online. I'm gonna have to do NG+2 to join the thing

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Crow claws.

Charge is usually good in pve

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Your Computer posted:

Parry :smug:
Perseverance's utility is well-known in PvP, but it has its uses in PvE too when there's an obnoxious aggressive enemy whose poo poo you really don't feel like dealing with right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The best part of Perseverance is that weak attacks and enemies bounce right off you like you're made of Greatshield. This includes dogs and rapier wielding players.