Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paused
Oct 24, 2010
We are in a setting when the sun moving is no longer a thing. It's world 2 in a Mario game in this place now is hardly a shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Glazius posted:

Oh huh. A giant ancient ruin in the desert. Only it's a modern ancient ruin instead of like a temple or something.

Man, climates have just shifted right the hell around in the last few millennia, haven't they?

That tends to happen when the sun stops setting.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Glazius posted:

Oh huh. A giant ancient ruin in the desert. Only it's a modern ancient ruin instead of like a temple or something.

Man, climates have just shifted right the hell around in the last few millennia, haven't they?

Well if machines are wearing facade masks in the desert. Maybe it's the same desert?

Would that mean in the first game we were just a small jaunt away from some apartments the whole time?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering the Shadowlord kept Yonah in a section that was essentially a modern city the whole time yeah, that probably is the case.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So, does the new pod talk at all? Or is it silent like 9S' pod?

Thinking about it, a war cry that is one side constantly screaming for you to stop hurting them even as they're calmly trying to kill you would probably weird out their enemies.

The Dark Id posted:

and up until literally I was writing this update

there is a couple points of interest.

First one is a little awkward. "I was literally" should do without adding anything extra. Second's just "are...points".

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Dunno. Considering the machines booted the natives off of their own planet, I think we're still firmly on the side of justice here.

It's a Taro Yoko game, there's a 50-50 chance they deserved it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zagglezig posted:

So, does the new pod talk at all? Or is it silent like 9S' pod?

The pods you find are just auxiliary bodies for the same pod AI. And I don't think it's a spoiler to say that 9S' pod also talks, but only to him. They're not talking out loud so much as transmitting directly to their android partners.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Begemot posted:

The pods you find are just auxiliary bodies for the same pod AI. And I don't think it's a spoiler to say that 9S' pod also talks, but only to him. They're not talking out loud so much as transmitting directly to their android partners.

So it's like that one dude walking down the street mumbling to himself you think is crazy until you realize he has a blutooth headset on.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Nuebot posted:

So it's like that one dude walking down the street mumbling to himself you think is crazy until you realize he has a blutooth headset on.

A bluetooth headset with endless macross missiles :black101:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Momomo posted:

Considering the Shadowlord kept Yonah in a section that was essentially a modern city the whole time yeah, that probably is the case.
That you got to by riding an elevator up from the top floor of a building which you could clearly see had nothing over it.

... Unless it was riding down, to arrive at the top of a building, I forget. One of those two. Either way, something not physically possible happened.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The Dark Id posted:

...elp...meeeee... Help...me...!
!?
2B, it’s fine. Their speech doesn’t mean anything. They’re just emitting words at random. If they wanted help, why would they be attacking us?
...Yeah.
I need to access the terminal to reach the bunker, 2B. Cover me.
Oh man, I mean, you know, I-I don't wanna shoot nobody.
They're just robots 2B! It's okay to shoot them! They're robots!
Aaaaah!
He's bleeding to death! Someone call his wife and children!
They're not robots 9S!
It's a figure of speech 2B! They're bureaucrats. I don't respect them. Just keep shooting 2B! You have no idea what prison is like here!

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Man, those little robots in cloaks with the saw blades look like mecha tonberries, especially in the screenshots.

Though Tonberries would be more horrifying if they screamed for mercy while slowly stalking the player.

necroid
May 14, 2009

ok I might be remembering wrong but what I'm getting here is: there was a weapon story about a queen turning her factory-working subjects into machines over a long time, and earth is now inhabited only by talking robots who scream for help while sexy androids from the moon kill them because they've been ordered so by the last remnants of mankind that are nowhere to be seen, only heard.

the big reveal is that the robots are people imprisoned in robot bodies and there's no mankind left on the moon? don't spoil it in the thread just PM me if I'm right thanks.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

McDragon posted:

That last robot that runs away ended up being the first one I went after. It ended up being a very short part of the quest. 2B just kind of lost interest in the aggressive ones and just wanted to kill the deserter I guess. Heh, deserter. I swear that was accidental.

Same here! I saw a pipeline leading through the desert, and figured I wanted to wander everywhere but there to find secrets. But that actually meant skipping loads of cutscene chatter I only now saw in Id's update. Even though I made an effort to explore, this is showing me all kinds of cool stuff I'm going back to check out. Thanks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's how my first play went too, so I reloaded.

Didn't discover the oil field YoRHa until pretty late into my second full playthrough of the game.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

necroid posted:

ok I might be remembering wrong but what I'm getting here is: there was a weapon story about a queen turning her factory-working subjects into machines over a long time, and earth is now inhabited only by talking robots who scream for help while sexy androids from the moon kill them because they've been ordered so by the last remnants of mankind that are nowhere to be seen, only heard.

the big reveal is that the robots are people imprisoned in robot bodies and there's no mankind left on the moon? don't spoil it in the thread just PM me if I'm right thanks.

I'm really not far into the game (first run, a bit further than Id), but my guess is that the machines are gaining self consciousness kind of like how things went in NieR. On that note, maybe the Androids are the new Gestalts? They are what...humans kind of became? If I had to guess, just based on how Yoko Taro does things, Nier wiped out all of mankind and the replicants just kind of...moved on somehow? I feel like that would be too directly referencing NieR for Taro though. He doesn't seem big on requiring people to play his previous games to understand the next in the series.

As for your first weapon story guess, that could be a less-than-thinly-veiled jab at Japanese labor abuse.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Now, when the moose start talking, RUN.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The moose doesn't talk.

It kills.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
The moose are actually moose androids fighting for the remaining moose on the moon.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Speedball posted:

Ed..ward

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I didn't know the oasis was a thing until halfway into the game.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Speedball posted:

close enough

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Vadoc posted:

Ed..ward

No
Just no

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Bad Seafood posted:

Aaaaah!
They're not robots 9S!
It's a figure of speech 2B! They're bureaucrats. I don't respect them. Just keep shooting 2B! You have no idea what prison is like here!

Mor2B is good, but I can't find a good way to combine Rick and 9S

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

GeneX posted:

Mor2B is good, but I can't find a good way to combine Rick and 9S

9Sanchez?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

I hope I'm not the only one who saw this shape on the horizon, shimmering in the heat, and thought it was a big scary brontosaurus-type creature.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Yes.

And didn't see that before, but I sort of do now.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

GeneX posted:

Mor2B is good,

Just say "2B" but only stress the first syllable. Toobie.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who saw this shape on the horizon, shimmering in the heat, and thought it was a big scary brontosaurus-type creature.

I first thought it was a giant machine lifeform that was just getting up or something.
You know, as the boss of the desert like how Engels was a silo and a buncha cranes.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Everytime I slid off something in Witcher 3 I loving died, it was about 80% of my deaths in that game because I'm a greed bastard trying to get to that chest on a mountain fort that turns out to have 3 empty vials and 4 hard leather. Turns out what I really needed to do was go uphill, full speed on the horse.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Fabulousvillain posted:

Everytime I slid off something in Witcher 3 I loving died, it was about 80% of my deaths in that game because I'm a greed bastard trying to get to that chest on a mountain fort that turns out to have 3 empty vials and 4 hard leather. Turns out what I really needed to do was go uphill, full speed on the horse.

80% of my deaths were trying to get a crate bag out of a hole of instant death outside of Oxenfort.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Fair warning: if you do not watch the highlights/cutscenes video for the next update, i will personally smack you

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Aaaaah!
They're not robots 9S!

Now I wanna see a Rick and Morty style 2B and 9S, with the drool coming out of 9S's mouth while 2B looks like a nervous wreck.

After that, Commander is like "Who put that ancient human program in their black boxes?"

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Maxwell Adams posted:

I thought this exact thing. The haze effects made it look like it was moving. I was really impressed that a was genuinely tricked by a mirage in a video game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HR12345 posted:

Now I wanna see a Rick and Morty style 2B and 9S, with the drool coming out of 9S's mouth while 2B looks like a nervous wreck.

After that, Commander is like "Who put that ancient human program in their black boxes?"

If I had to pick a Rick, it would probably be Jackass, honestly. Which would leave 9S free for Morty duties.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I miss Zero, she was the perfect Rick :(

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Now that we've seen the desert area and the desert housing area... My own personal theory is that the hub city was built after Nier, given that I don't remember that game having a city just hanging about despite being in the same general area since Facade is (or was rather) here.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Finished the first playthrough last night, and I'm being inconvenienced by how good this game is. I still have forty-something shrines to find in BotW, but that would mean I'd have to stop looking for endings in NieR. I haven't even touched P5, and it's really pissing off the people who have to not talk about it when I'm around. I only have two months to get my FFXIV character ready for Stormblood, and I don't give a gently caress.

Does... does this count as being trolled by Taro? It somehow doesn't feel like it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
There have been a LOT of good games out recently, I can't say I blame you.

Only one has been on a system available to me though :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

DrakePegasus posted:

Finished the first playthrough last night, and I'm being inconvenienced by how good this game is. I still have forty-something shrines to find in BotW, but that would mean I'd have to stop looking for endings in NieR. I haven't even touched P5, and it's really pissing off the people who have to not talk about it when I'm around. I only have two months to get my FFXIV character ready for Stormblood, and I don't give a gently caress.

This describes my situation too well.

quote:

Does... does this count as being trolled by Taro? It somehow doesn't feel like it.

Wasn't "the only way Yoko Taro can troll us at this point is by making an amazing game" a recurring joke in previous topics? Granted a lot of people loved Nier (myself included) but you couldn't recommend it without some caveats.

• Locked thread