Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Every Japanese company can fall back on pachinko and mobile I wouldn't worry about it.

Pachinko halls have seen their revenues fall for 35 straight months. 
In February, their sales were down 8.4% YOY to a new low of $2.5 billion (holy poo poo).
The overall market shrank by 31% from 2006 to 2015, and factoring in the 35-month decline, the market must have shrunk even more since.

Mobile, I don't feel like looking up.

Policenaut posted:

Monster Hunter is already starting to fall. Double Cross had the lowest sales debut for any main MH game since the switch from PSP to 3DS and a ton of the Amazon Japan reviews amount to "This game is really hard, thanks for all the memories but I think I'm done with Monster Hunter."

Yeah, wow has it ever fallen.
MHX did 3.2 million over there.
MHXX is at 1.45 and losing steam after what a month?

When it all started, MH had a lock on the local multiplayer market and built up critical mass that helped carry it so far.
But now there's a whole host of alternatives.
Thanks to Switch, it's even possible to play games like Dragon Quest Heroes in glorious 720P multiplayer local.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm 90% sure you could do better-looking BoI figure with a blank munny and a sharpie marker

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Plague Knight amiibo when

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Kinda stuck in wonder boy. Things just got a fishy and I have no clue where to head now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Stan Taylor posted:

Can't wait for this to either be real or not be real and watch dumb gently caress nerds talk about how Nintendo is doomed and don't know how to business.

It'd be kinda dumb if that is real when Nintendo could instead announce the NES Classic Game Pack(tm) for $30 or w/e on the Switch's eShop and a $50 (or whatever) SNES Classic bundle as well. I'd also take a SNES RPG Bundle. And a real Breath of Fire game for the Switch. We could... we could just pretend that Breath of Fire 6 doesn't exist and Capcom could make it properly this time. :sigh:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wait for the Radiant Historia remake coming to 3DS for the true Chrono Trigger spiritual sequel.

This so much. Radiant Historia was one of those "oh this looks neat and the premise is cool may it'll be go.. OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING" games.

I never did go back and do a 100% completion of it though. :effort:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

These times are bullshit. I thought it was going to be do a bunch of laps and see what kind of time you can get, but it's a total of three laps.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Kinda stuck in wonder boy. Things just got a fishy and I have no clue where to head now.

go up the tower to the desert, but go the opposite way of the pyramid. Get the dragon mail and continue further to get the thunder ring which allows you to break blocks. Then, go back the the beach and there are blocks you can break underwater to reach a heart and the next dungeon

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I haven't undocked my switch since I got the pro controller.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MHX was already not a "full" sequel, and XX is the Deluxe version of THAT, maybe there's just a fatigue wall of how many samey 3ds games the fanbase has an appetite for. I know I'm done with it until a Switch version.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Monster Hunter is already starting to fall. Double Cross had the lowest sales debut for any main MH game since the switch from PSP to 3DS and a ton of the Amazon Japan reviews amount to "This game is really hard, thanks for all the memories but I think I'm done with Monster Hunter."

Keep in mind the last Monster Hunter game is a full price expansion to a game that already felt a bit half assed.

Monster Hunter 5 will probably sell well if Capcom doesn't gently caress it up.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Official FTC announcement: There's no Nintendo Switch emulator

Don't fall for the scam friends

How do you link that and not quote this:

"Play Nintendo Switch at your friend’s house until you’re able to buy the real one yourself."

-The Federal Trade Commission.

Yes, Uncle Sam is telling you to buy the Switch. :patriot: Thanks, Trump!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

MHX was already not a "full" sequel, and XX is the Deluxe version of THAT, maybe there's just a fatigue wall of how many samey 3ds games the fanbase has an appetite for. I know I'm done with it until a Switch version.

mhx was a full sequel in the way any monster hunter game has been, this series is extremely iterative and you'd be surprised going back to even the original ps2 one how similar it is to current monster hunter and how many assets are still used. i loved it for a long time but it's just too similar from game-to-game and mhx was really where fatigue set in record fast, and it seems like i'm not alone there. i'm definitely done until monster hunter gets some kind of serious overhaul from the ground up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Patter Song posted:

"Play Nintendo Switch at your friend’s house until you’re able to buy the real one yourself."

So how long until the Trump Amiibo?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Mega64 posted:

So how long until the Trump Amiibo?

Another Captain Falcon clone 🙄

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Cojawfee posted:

These times are bullshit. I thought it was going to be do a bunch of laps and see what kind of time you can get, but it's a total of three laps.

I definitely could have shaved a few seconds off my first lap, but it bugs me that there's no real feedback during the trial. No ghost, no indication if you're over or under at any given time, all you can do is try your best and see how it turns out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

all you can do is try your best and see how it turns out.

Good life advice

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I mean that BoI amiibo looks aight. I guess I'm not sure how much better it could be given the source material.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll take a Fallen Amiibo in a heartbeat

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It looks like a munny

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I want a Mr. Saturn amiibo

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Where is Mother 3

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

a.lo posted:

Where is Mother 3

it's in your heart

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

a.lo posted:

Where is Mother 3

Tatsuta Age posted:

I'm sure if you look in the goodsnes of your heart you'll find it.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I can't get enough loving amiibo!!! I will literally buy a golden korok turd if they put a chip in it and slap it on a round base.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Gimme a N64 mini

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

bowmore posted:

Gimme a N64 mini

N64 Amiibo that unlocks the N64 VC

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

That looks like poo poo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Spellman posted:

Another Captain Falcon clone 🙄

More like an orange Kirby.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Wheany posted:

That looks like poo poo.

I feel like if an Isaac amiibo is making you say that it's pretty authentic to the character

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I hope that's just a mockup. I'd buy an Isaac amiibo but not that one.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lemming posted:

I feel like if an Isaac amiibo is making you say that it's pretty authentic to the character

Yeah they nailed the aesthetic. Repulsive garbage that I hate looking at.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
At least remove the white bits in the eyes and make the mouth recess into the head and not jut out

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Making it look like a cartoon harlequin fetus would indeed be an improvement.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

Pachinko halls have seen their revenues fall for 35 straight months. 
In February, their sales were down 8.4% YOY to a new low of $2.5 billion (holy poo poo).
The overall market shrank by 31% from 2006 to 2015, and factoring in the 35-month decline, the market must have shrunk even more since.

Mobile, I don't feel like looking up.

Yeah, wow has it ever fallen.
MHX did 3.2 million over there.
MHXX is at 1.45 and losing steam after what a month?

When it all started, MH had a lock on the local multiplayer market and built up critical mass that helped carry it so far.
But now there's a whole host of alternatives.
Thanks to Switch, it's even possible to play games like Dragon Quest Heroes in glorious 720P multiplayer local.

Yeah I wonder what they did in X that changed the game and caused so many people to stop playing

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Patter Song posted:

:laffo:

I didn't read past the title. That's amazing

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Dizz posted:

Yeah I wonder what they did in X that changed the game and caused so many people to stop playing

for me and my friends it was what didn't change. it was way too similar to 4u too soon after and we all got bored.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
So I caved to the art style and bought/beat wonderboy, and was amused in hindsight that it's literally an inverted shovel knight. It's not bad, but definitely a little opaque at points, and suffers from not touching any more recent game design principles. I do feel pretty good about being able to beat it without touching any guides/faqs for it, though.

Also, whoever said "you don't need to grind", you were technically correct in that you can beat the game without grinding, but there is definitely some grinding that needs to happen if you want to buy everything from every store eventually.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cardboard Box posted:

for me and my friends it was what didn't change. it was way too similar to 4u too soon after and we all got bored.

I'm pretty sure it was original made as a smaller sidegame compared to the main series but sold better than expected so Capcom thought they could cash in like they do with the real thing.

Monster Hunter is great and makes a lot of money but Capcom are determined to squeeze every dollar out of it they can (do they still charge to play online in japan?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Until Monster Hunter goes the way of Breath of Fire there's always hope for the series. Probably.

• Locked thread