Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I looked up his skillset and it's gonna be tough trying to fit everything in. Endgame maybe something like:

Garudyne
Magarudyne
Wind Boost
Wind Amp
Mediarahan
Samarecarm
Miracle Punch
Evade Elec/Masukunda/Salvation/Diarahan

Could probably drop Miracle Punch, maybe Samarecarm.

I dropped Masakunda and Wind Boost so I could fit Diarahan and Evade Elec. Never got to Salvation and I got Wind Amp the fight before the final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I adore miracle punch. Some enemies just don't have weaknesses and I need them down.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Gorp posted:

I adore miracle punch. Some enemies just don't have weaknesses and I need them down.

It's very good. Which is why Black Frost was my secret mvp in the endgame.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Oh, this kid who has answered every single question correctly all year and got the highest grade in the class might actually study and not be a delinquent after all?" :aaa:
There's no way you could have done this well on exams on your own! WHO WAS TUTORING YOU!? TELL ME!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Gorp posted:

I've had a persona with miracle punch (or the previous version of it) and apt pupil since the second dungeon. It's really useful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Raxivace posted:

There's no way you could have done this well on exams on your own! WHO WAS TUTORING YOU!? TELL ME!

I covered my study session in hour 26 are you even paying attention?????

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

How late does Goro join the team? IIRC naoto joined in Nov and I still managed to rely on her for the rest of the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Do vegetables or card duping take up time?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Nope, when you talk to the confidant just specify you're asking after cards or vegetables.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Vegetables no, never duped cards so I dunno about that one.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Please don't take miracle punch off of morgana

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Are the evade skills actually good? I assumed they were trash since it's still risky to leave in dudes against their weaknesses.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Trick Question posted:

Are the evade skills actually good? I assumed they were trash since it's still risky to leave in dudes against their weaknesses.

You think they're trash until the boss busts out a ma-skill you weren't expecting only for the guy it was weak to dodges it and suddenly it's the best skill in the game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Drop Masukunda and let one of Joker's backups pick up that slack.

Not worth dropping amp or boost because it stacks, Miracle Punch crits are good.
You dodge more than you get hit with Evade skills.

I guess Garudyne might be worth dropping too considering SP ain't a huge deal at the end.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/854739876134109184

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

As far as I can tell Goro jumps himself to rank 6 before you even have a chance to start Haru?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Hitting way too close to home here, game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So, uh, what is the "Upbeat" option for this question

"How did you find me?
A. Some flyers.
B. A specialty site.
C. Word of mouth."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So, uh, what is the "Upbeat" option for this question

"How did you find me?
A. Some flyers.
B. A specialty site.
C. Word of mouth."

I would guess "word of mouth".

On a related note, I feel like the game's advice to think of the answers as "Serious" or "Vague" makes the mini-game seem more complicated than it actually is. All you really want to do is say the same thing they'd say, so if they're Irritable you choose the option that sounds the most pissed off, etc. It's not perfect, but that seemed way more helpful than trying to figure out which answer is the vaguest.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The answer system sucks rear end, butt and rear-end simultaneously.
A lot of them make some sense, others are really subjective in their intent.

It's a good idea and I'm glad they went for it, but it's not a home run.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The answer system sucks rear end, butt and rear-end simultaneously.
A lot of them make some sense, others are really subjective in their intent.

It's a good idea and I'm glad they went for it, but it's not a home run.

Seriously. What's the irritable answer to this

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Maxed Strength is the best goddamn thing. Nothing like having Siegfried, Black Frost, and Trumpeter all kicking around way earlier than I should have them by any rights.

Next up: Yoshitsune. :getin:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Well, at least there always seems to be at at least one correct answer always when it comes to negotiation, a big improvement compared to something like Nocturne, where it's possible for there to be literally no correct answer.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, here there is always a right answer, a middling/unclear answer and a wrong answer. Even the middle one still gets you something even if its just an item or whatever, which is nice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also your party members all get a Talk skill as part of their Confidant ranks to unfuck any critical fails and give you a do-over.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Seriously. What's the irritable answer to this

Considering this is the game's record with homosexuality, the one about men is probably meant to be irritable.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Endorph posted:

other funny yusuke jokes: the lobsters, him randomly walking up to the party on the beach and just joining the conversation like he isn't supposed to be several thousand miles away at the moment, 'i certainly am in the mood'

This is a bit of an old conversation, but if you didn't find Yusuke rearranging Futaba's figurines into the Ginyu Force poses then you have no soul and no appreciation for humour.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Alder posted:

http://www.personaproblems.com/

Ignoring the painful site design, it does make some valid points on P5's TL quality. Also, now I need to actually finish the game...

Based on the two retranslations they offered, I'm sure they raise some good points. However, gently caress off i'm I reading any more because their comparisons or basically unusable.

loving TABLES YOU poo poo. THEY HELP YOU COMPARE STUFF.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not just the translations being weird. There are points where the localisation just has back to back English language failures in succession. If it got edited and proofed, the editor didn't do a good job.

I'm sure that the text volume in this game was a gargantuan task so, you know, it just happens, but when they're successive lines, it makes your product look like budget garbage.

As do the lightly filtered photographs used for some backgrounds like in the SIU Director's office and Madarame's house

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 20, 2017

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
(End of palace 7) Was I supposed to feel bad about goro dying? because I don't feel bad that the mass murderer/sociopath with daddy issues ate it. his ranting during the boss fight making me remember my persona arena PTSD about minazuki + joker going ALL RIGHT I CAN FUSE METATRON in the middle of the scene probably didn't help me get invested in it, but after they spent the whole game sorta making him the most unsympathetic character ever suddenly going "it turns out I TOO hate lovely Adults, we're not so different you and I" and then dying for a kinda contrived reason leaves me with mixed feelings

unless this is all just goro trying to one up getting tricked by joker and now he's going to fake HIS death and make it even more dramatic

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 20, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also your party members all get a Talk skill as part of their Confidant ranks to unfuck any critical fails and give you a do-over.
I'd be more willing to believe Talk skills are a suitable band-aid to a system as fundamentally questionable as Demon Negotiation if I had ever seen them more than once in my 55 hours of playtime so far.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's not just the translations being weird. There are points where the localisation just has back to back English language failures in succession. If it got edited and proofed, the editor didn't do a good job.

I'm sure that the text volume in this game was a gargantuan task so, you know, it just happens, but when they're successive lines, it makes your product look like budget garbage.
What's the supposed error in the second line? It reads fine to me.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

darealkooky posted:

Was I supposed to feel bad about goro dying?

Nope. Only your party members.
They haven't seen what you've seen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

I'd be more willing to believe Talk skills are a suitable band-aid to a system as fundamentally questionable as Demon Negotiation if I had ever seen them more than once in my 55 hours of playtime so far.

I saw Ann's proc pretty drat regularly for me.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 20, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

What's the supposed error in the second line? It reads fine to me.

It reads a lot more naturally with or rather than and in the first sentence considering it's directly and immediately setting up an either/or question.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I'm gonna be "That Guy" and say I loved demon negotiations.
Outside of a few specific demons I got most of them my first try. The system just clicked for me and I never had to use a guide.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yep. I did get the sense through negotiations that higher level demons (compared to you) often asked harder questions, both in terms of picking out the right answer and in terms of success rate.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
In terms of translation issues, weird grammar aside there's a lot of times where the characters talk like they're browsing a thesaurus, and don't really have a consistent voice because of it, often talking completely differently than their age or education level.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Really? I had it happen all the time. They only work on complete failure's though not the half-successes where you get a useless item (except for Ann's improved version). So I guess you might have just been lucky enough to not fail and also unlucky enough to not succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just ended up using Warning Shot for the negotiations and most of the time it joins up with you.