Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

I love that this could be 100% true or 100% bullshit and I absolutely cannot tell the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mrdz97yf54

I love this video because it says it proves he doesn't bump his head but there's a sound effect and everything.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

kiimo posted:

who is paul saltines

He murdered all the Jedi with his karate killings.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Apparently, in the extended scene of the Death Star conference, Sith Lord was dropped. Also, Darth Vader's voice before voice-over is pathetically amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja4WudpzBYw

To clarify, this is the scene in ANH before it was cut down in the final product.

Don't know if it was posted before.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I also like how even in 1977 Tagge was against the Death Star project and, tying into Rogue One, feels its just a political stunt by Tarkin.

From the Marvel Comics:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 19, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Tagge is probably right. We've seen in Rebels how easily a small fleet of Star Destroyers could almost wipe out the majority of Rebel Alliance's military. The Death Star is powerful, but one small team took it out, rallied a million systems to their cause, and became more powerful than the Empire could ever possibly imagine.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
One thing the Death Star/Starkiller base kind of misses that other sci-fi picks up on is the sheer brutality of just surrounding a planet and bombarding the surface.

I mean you don't even need bombs if you think about it. You're outside a gravity well, just add mass and that's like free energy to blow poo poo up with.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

One thing the Death Star/Starkiller base kind of misses that other sci-fi picks up on is the sheer brutality of just surrounding a planet and bombarding the surface.

I mean you don't even need bombs if you think about it. You're outside a gravity well, just add mass and that's like free energy to blow poo poo up with.

I mean, they can orbitially bombard. They do it in Rebels with their Star Destroyers. The problem, though, is an energy shield of any decent strength can make an orbitally bombardment moot. Though, you can overlord it and make it burst.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Covok posted:

I mean, they can orbitially bombard. They do it in Rebels with their Star Destroyers. The problem, though, is an energy shield of any decent strength can make an orbitally bombardment moot. Though, you can overlord it and make it burst.

Yeah, I think I looked at the energy output of the shields and lasers in Star Wars in a technical manual once, and it was kind of bonkers. I guess 1000+ years of high technology will do that.

E: Still, I found the scene where the Centauri bombard G'kar's homeworld in Babylon 5 more affecting than either big space laser scene in Star Wars. Partly because of the focus on Malari's misgivings about what he was doing, though.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 19, 2017

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hodgepodge posted:

The whole reason they had to use the AT-ATs on Hoth in ESB was cause the Rebels had a shield to prevent just that. The whole point of the awesome ground battle was to destroy said shield.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
How did it go in Rebels? I think the idea was that a few star destroyers could totally scorched earth a planet but it took some time and an inevitable battle would ensue, a planet could be shielded, etc. The fear of the Death Star was that any planet it was in range of it could totally obliterate in a few seconds.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Neo Rasa posted:

How did it go in Rebels? I think the idea was that a few star destroyers could totally scorched earth a planet but it took some time and an inevitable battle would ensue, a planet could be shielded, etc. The fear of the Death Star was that any planet it was in range of it could totally obliterate in a few seconds.

Thrawn Kicked Phoenix Squadron and Dodonna's Massassi Fleet's asses in orbit (3 Neb Bs, several C90 corvettes, a Quasar Fire Carrier, and assorted fighters other small ships destroyed, Imperials only lost one of two interdictors because the Quasar Fire rammed it) and then allowed the rebels to flee to the surface while he took up a firing position. He started a bombardment and would've been happy to just destroy their entire base from orbit, but Tarkin had saddled him with orders (and a bit of a personal challenge) to take prisoners, so he called off the bombardment after a few minutes and started deploying ground troops and walkers. It was a good thing he stopped when he did, cause Chopper Base's jury-rigged boosted planetary shield was moments away from overloading and exploding.

Actually here, a video. Spoilers obviously?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARR0RPrr_rg

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
In response to the conversation about force lightning:

As I've said before, force lightning is simply a metaphor for "power! UNLIMITED POWER!", which is why the two bad guys most preoccupied with power can use it, but not the useful idiots motivated by their emotions.

When Mace Windu absorbs and redirects Palpatine's force lightning back at him, it's a metaphor for how the Jedi Order is attempting to use the Republic's power against it. I mean, Palpatine said it himself: "I am the Senate." He's not an evil emperor yet, and here come the Jedi commiting a coup.

Tangentially, this came up at Celebration on Ian McDarmid's panel: he talked about how when George Lucas first approached him for a part in TPM, he was disappointed to find he was just playing a young Palpatine, who was a quintessential politician but not particularly evil, while a mysterious diabolical figure called Sidious lurked in the background. He was pleasantly surprised to find out he had both roles. :v: (And apparently Liam Neeson didn't even know they were the same character until the film was released!)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

teagone posted:

Lmao, goons getting all awkward about Boyega kissing Daisy on the forehead in some low-framerate GIF for ~2 pages. Someone on twitter asked him about it, and he responded:
https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/853024163501658112

Here it is in HD you dorks. You can clearly see Daisy positioning herself to do their thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh4X4N-8fEM&t=2138s

[edit] Oh some were misconstruing it as Daisy not wanting a hug from Boyega? Well then shame on the goon for posting some shittly made GIF in the first place, confusing people.

I guess Boyega now has something in common with the guy at AGDQ accused of sniffing a girl's seat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

sassassin posted:

They really want us to be wondering who Snake is, huh
Salad Snoke was really Blaster Ocelot the whole time.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

but what if you really needed to jump start a battery or something

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ungulateman posted:

(And apparently Liam Neeson didn't even know they were the same character until the film was released!)

If Qui-Gon were smart he would have left Anakin in the galaxy's backwater.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I mean, electrocuting people with the power of hate is something you do to torture someone, not to kill them. If you want them dead you can just choke or decapitate them. Nice and clean.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TWIST FIST posted:

but what if you really needed to jump start a battery or something

If you do this with the power of hatred, you get Maximum Overdrive.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Davros1 posted:

I assure you this is 100% true.

I can confirm. It's in Lucas' commentary on the old DVD.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
How long has it been since someone suggested a Tie Fighter movie? Because that would own. At least I remember the part where you find out one of the admirals is turning traitor and it turns into a huge loving melee being really cool when I was 12.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I just want a good Star Wars space sim. I finally have a computer that could run one, and there's none forthcoming.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

PostNouveau posted:

How long has it been since someone suggested a Tie Fighter movie? Because that would own. At least I remember the part where you find out one of the admirals is turning traitor and it turns into a huge loving melee being really cool when I was 12.

There's that western anime short thing from a year or two back

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Halloween Jack posted:

Salad Snoke was really Blaster Ocelot the whole time.

You thought your father had defeated me when he threw me into the pit, Skywalker, but I live on THROUGH THIS ARM!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This will all lead to a cyborg Jedi slicing an entire Star Destroyer into pieces by himself.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Midichlorians, son.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

iSheep posted:

In my half asleep state last night my brain convinced me they didn't have great on set chemistry on TFA (that has somehow been kept hush hush) and its why he has been paired up Kelly Marie Tran for TLJ.

JJ confirmed this that they had no chemistry at all and he said the only way he was able to make it work is that luckily Harrison got injured on set and he ws able to work with the actors and rewrite some dialogue during the hiatus. I feel like they were in such a big huff to put together a diverse cast they didn't even bother thinking if the actors would mesh together well at all.

I honestly think the only decent new character out of the 4 is Poe and most people seem to agree with me since he's the only one who has his own ongoing comic series and TLJ got delayed so that they could give him a much larger role in the script.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Finn is an alright character. Finn and Rey at least have backstories that could support good character. Rey had some flashes of something near the end of TFA when she was about to cold-blooded murder an unarmed Kylo Ren.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mr President posted:

JJ confirmed this that they had no chemistry at all and he said the only way he was able to make it work is that luckily Harrison got injured on set and he ws able to work with the actors and rewrite some dialogue during the hiatus. I feel like they were in such a big huff to put together a diverse cast they didn't even bother thinking if the actors would mesh together well at all.

I honestly think the only decent new character out of the 4 is Poe and most people seem to agree with me since he's the only one who has his own ongoing comic series and TLJ got delayed so that they could give him a much larger role in the script.

Poe should have died as originally planned.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

Poe should be a series of clones.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

sassassin posted:

Why do you feel that way?

The pilots/military aspect of star wars was a major part of what people liked about the original trilogy and that part of star wars was almost completely absent from the prequels.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mr President posted:

Why do you feel that way?

The pilots/military aspect of star wars was a major part of what people liked about the original trilogy and that part of star wars was almost completely absent from the prequels.

There's no drama or conflict in anything he does after the crash landing.

He's just What a pilot!!!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

homullus posted:

The PT and OT tell us that if you have use of the Force (as in, it obeys your commands, rather than just guiding your actions), you are one of:

1) a member of the Jedi Order
2) one of a pair of Sith
3) somebody who was in the Jedi Order, but left (Count Dooku left the order and was not immediately assumed to be in an "always two, there are" relationship)

The Force Awakens raised other questions. Does Maz Kanata's knowledge of the Force and "insight" come unbidden? I think it is possible, but unlikely, that Maz has zero control over the role of the Force in her life and that Rey is not the only untrained Force user in the entire galaxy so the likely conclusion post-TFA is that there are potentially many Force users without any formal training, who may be using the Force however they happened to figure it out and/or by being trained by non-Jedi and non-Sith.

Luke Skywalker was a member of the Jedi Order.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sassassin posted:

There's no drama or conflict in anything he does after the crash landing.

He's just What a pilot!!!

If they had made Max Von Sydow BB8's owner instead of Poe, they could have removed Poe entirely from the film and it wouldn't have affected anything. Finn could have stolen a TIE fighter on his own, still escaped and crashed (since he didn't know how to fly it). Or yet, have him know how to fly it, and have him lead the attack on the Death Star 3.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

But then we wouldn't have all this Poe-Finn slashfic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Disco posted:

But then we wouldn't have all this Poe-Finn slashfic.

It would just be replaced with more Finn/Kylo slashfic

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

leave Finn's boyfriend alone!!!

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Davros1 posted:

If they had made Max Von Sydow BB8's owner instead of Poe, they could have removed Poe entirely from the film and it wouldn't have affected anything. Finn could have stolen a TIE fighter on his own, still escaped and crashed (since he didn't know how to fly it). Or yet, have him know how to fly it, and have him lead the attack on the Death Star 3.

I didn't even realise Poe was supposed to be anything more than a side character after my first time watching the film.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

WHEN WILL DISNEY'S MEDDLING END http://io9.gizmodo.com/rian-johnson-changed-kylo-rens-scar-in-last-jedi-becaus-1794465732

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/854760359097286656

I wonder how The Last Kylo is taking this.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This just further establishes my Bigger Ren theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wheezle posted:

I didn't even realise Poe was supposed to be anything more than a side character after my first time watching the film.

I just kinda assumed he was going to be a bigger role going forward because its Oscar Isaac. If it were some lesser known actor I'd have already forgotten the character exists, much like the rest of TFA.

• Locked thread