Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How do the Tories have such a huge lead when Brexit won by two points and a whole lot of regrets?
Because Corbyn is also a brexiteer hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kassad posted:

Edit: a decrepit old man actually is the more accurate face for French royalty, now that I think about it

IMO, anyone with their head still on their shoulders should be disqualified.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 19, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i can't believe we have legitimist scum posting here

not that orleanists are much better, those fuckers. the only way forward for france resides in bonapartism, the true heir of france's glory

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'd get my Robespierre on and talk about the guillotine, but these people all being hilariously irrelevant is so much better in every way.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

IMO, anyone with their head still on their shoulders should be disqualified.
The only correct answer.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kassad posted:

I'd get my Robespierre on and talk about the guillotine, but these people all being hilariously irrelevant is so much better in every way.

You should buy this Robespierre guy an account.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Who knows if they would be heeded in this day and age but the Treaty of Utrecht stipulated that the Spanish branch of the Bourbons would never rule in France and viceversa.

I mention that as a quick historical curio. Now let's bring the guillotine.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
:thermidor:

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Dawncloack posted:

Who knows if they would be heeded in this day and age but the Treaty of Utrecht stipulated that the Spanish branch of the Bourbons would never rule in France and viceversa.

I mention that as a quick historical curio. Now let's bring the guillotine.

In very Action Française voice: Something something Utrecht didn't really disqualify the spanish branch because only god could but being descended from a regicide definitely disqualified the Orleans because we assume it made god cry and they're probably jewish freemasons anyway at this point

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

what did legitimistes think of the Hapsburgs? that the fighting between them and france was a horrible mistake/misunderstanding and that universal catholic monarchy is good, presumably?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Were "legitimists" even a thing before the Revolution? They thought France fighting the Hapsburgs was bad because France was run by upstart peasants.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Badger of Basra posted:

Were "legitimists" even a thing before the Revolution? They thought France fighting the Hapsburgs was bad because France was run by upstart peasants.

The split only happened because the last direct male line heir of Louis XV died without a heir in the early third republic before they managed to restore the monarchy.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

gently caress your kings and queens, The Hulk supports Mélenchon

http://m.huffingtonpost.fr/2017/04/19/danny-glover-et-mark-ruffalo-appellent-les-francais-a-voter-mele_a_22045951/

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Danny Glover is in the worst movies these days, his endorsement is a kiss of death

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

France was fighting the Hapsburgs 300 years before the Revolution

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

France was fighting the Hapsburgs 300 years before the Revolution

Yeah and it was the Bourbons doing it so I doubt they were all that upset about it.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Not really since Philippe Egalité only voted in favor of Louis XVI's death in 1791 and his son only became king of France in 1830. No bad deed go unrewarded. Before selecting Bonaparte the people of wealth behind the 18 Brumaire coup apparently did consider using Phillipe Egalité as head of state.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 19, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Philippe Egalité got a taste of the old :thermidor: himself

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Yeah, I think you mean they considered Louis Philippe for First Consul (I'm pretty sure Barras was openly talking about doing it when it looked obvious his government was too corrupt to survive), unless they were actually considering putting the crown on a rotting, headless corpse (Egalite was executed in 1793)

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Yeah, Louis Phillipe as the strong man consul not his dead dad(well for enough money, it could have happened knowing Barras). Note imaging him as a "strong man" is funny until you realize they wanted to dodge a Bernadotte in the man in charge seat. Everyone seemed to hate Bernadotte's ambition which is funny because we ended with Napoleon (well his wife helped a lot i guess). :sweden: :norway:

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 19, 2017

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Wtf are you all talking about?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

i dunno but it involves executions by guillotine so presumably it's good???

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Wtf are you all talking about?

The légitimistes are people who believe in the claim of the Orleans Bourbons to the throne of France. The path to their original ascension was convoluted because the Duke of Orleans was a royal as well as a revolutionary. He was so ardent he changed his name to "Mr. Equality".

TheBalor fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 19, 2017

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

TheBalor posted:

The légitimistes are people who believe in the claim of the Orleans Bourbons to the throne of France. The path to their original ascension was convoluted because the Duke of Orleans was a royal as well as a revolutionary. He was so ardent he changed his name to "Mr. Equality".

Citizen Equality thank you very much.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TheBalor posted:

No that's the Orleanistes. The legitimistes only believee a descendant of Louis XIV who isn't from the house of Orleans(TRAITORS! etc...) is the rightful king. So a Spanish Bourbon is their current choice. No one else care for that bullshit. You shouldn't either.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TheBalor posted:

It's actually not about the French Revolution but the July Revolution of 1830, during which the last "true" Bourbon king, Charles X. was replaced by the Duke of Orleans. The whole Philippe Égalité episode of the French Revolution itself is irrelevant, as the Bourbons restored the Orleans to their status after the Bourbons themselves were reinstated.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Toplowtech posted:

No that's the Orleanistes. The legitimistes only believee a descendant of Louis XIV who isn't from the house of Orleans(TRAITORS! etc...) is the rightful king. So a Spanish Bourbon is their current choice. No one else care for that bullshit. You shouldn't either.

I know some people who care deeply. It's hysterical.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
The only phone pollster shows Melenchon in 2nd. Who's right this time?!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The only phone pollster shows Melenchon in 2nd. Who's right this time?!

faites vos jeux, rien ne va plus.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Melenchon/Fillon runoff would be hilarious.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
my mom is rooting for mélenchon bigly, she tries to convert all her friends, family and colleagues

one of her friends so far is leaning Macron because she's afraid Mélenchon is going to "let all the Romanians (roma) in"

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Yesterday's Mediapart Live about Melenchon was decent if only to debunk that:

- he's going to replace NATO with Bolivia as our military allies
- he's just another extremist like Asselineau who wants to Frexit with no ulterior plan
- he's actually just a dictator/Putin's puppet/the boogeyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCJbyWclfIs

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Yesterday's Mediapart Live about Melenchon was decent if only to debunk that:

- he's going to replace NATO with Bolivia as our military allies
- he's just another extremist like Asselineau who wants to Frexit with no ulterior plan
- he's actually just a dictator/Putin's puppet/the boogeyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCJbyWclfIs

I wish I spoke French

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

whomupclicklike posted:

I wish I spoke French

It's never too late! That way you'll be ready for the world of 2050.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

http://www.politico.eu/article/european-commission-wants-uk-to-pay-brexit-costs-in-euros/

quote:

European Commission wants UK to pay Brexit costs — in euros

Brussels wants the UK to pay all related costs and bear the currency risk, according to draft negotiating directives.

The European Commission wants Britain to pick up the tab for any costs related to its departure from the EU, such as the relocation of agencies now hosted by the U.K., and bear the currency risk by paying in euros, according to a draft of Brussels’ negotiating plan.

The hard line for the Brexit talks, laid out in a draft of the Commission’s detailed negotiating directives obtained by POLITICO, also includes tight protections for EU citizens and the EU budget, robust legal controls for any transitional phase for U.K. withdrawal, and clear guarantees for businesses whose goods go on the market before the “divorce” is finalized.

But it is the Commission’s approach to the U.K.’s ongoing financial obligations to the EU that stands out in the document, suggesting that Brussels wants to make it very clear that leaving the bloc doesn’t come cheap.

“The United Kingdom should fully cover the specific costs related to the withdrawal process such as the relocation of the agencies or other Union bodies,” the Commission wrote, adding that the U.K.’s financial obligations to the EU “should be defined in euro” rather than sterling.

The Commission’s directives, which will provide a careful roadmap for the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier, can only be adopted once leaders of the remaining 27 EU member countries have approved broader guidelines now being developed by the European Council. The 27 will meet to discuss those guidelines at an extraordinary summit in Brussels on April 29.

But even as the Council’s draft guidelines were being revised and reviewed by diplomats in Brussels and in capitals across the Continent, officials at the Commission have been hard at work on the more detailed directives, under the close supervision of Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, his chief-of-staff, Martin Selmayr, as well as Barnier and his team.

The document is likely to enliven discussions between Juncker and Prime Minister Theresa May when they meet next Wednesday in London.

In response to an inquiry from POLITICO, Daniel Ferrie, a spokesman for Barnier and the Commission’s Brexit team, responded: “I’m afraid we do not comment on leaks.”

Settling accounts

The Commission draft takes a more in-your-face approach than EU officials had previously suggested. Barnier himself, in a speech last month in Brussels, insisted the EU was not out to penalize the U.K. but was merely holding London to its commitments.

“Each country must honor its commitments to each other,” Barnier said. “Let me be clear: when a country leaves the Union, there is no punishment. There is no price to pay to leave. But we must settle the accounts. We will not ask the British to pay a single euro for something they have not agreed to as a member.”

The Commission’s draft, while hardly punitive, indicates that there is a price to leave — at least to the extent that there are expenses directly tied to the withdrawal. While some analyses have estimated the U.K.’s long-term obligations to the EU will run as high as €60 billion, there have been no projections of mechanical costs of the pull-out alone.

In addition to the relocation of agencies now situated in Britain, those costs could include the travel and expenses of negotiators on both sides, as well as extraordinary summit meetings of EU leaders, and more.

In a reflection of the bureaucratic labyrinth of EU operations that the U.K. hopes to escape, the Commission’s thinking was drafted in a document titled “Non Paper on Key Elements Likely to Feature in the Draft Negotiating Directives.”

The start of the formal negotiations could now face slight delays because of May’s decision to hold snap national election in Britain on June 8, EU diplomats have generally taken the view that the U.K.’s election timeline should not alter the planning and preparations in Brussels or the drafting of legal instructions to Barnier and his team.

One European Council official said that the Commission’s legal paper on the negotiating directives and the draft guidelines will be agreed and published before the British election campaign heats up. The official said major changes were not expected as a result of the U.K. election.

But at least one EU government has expressed concern about hardening the EU’s negotiation positions before the results of the June 8 vote. Such concerns are certain to be discussed at a General Affairs Council meeting next Thursday, where diplomats will meet to prepare for the summit on April 29.

Part of the concern is that issuing any formal negotiating positions could be seen as prejudging the outcome of the U.K. vote or even meddling in the election, in which opinion polls show an overwhelming advantage for May’s Conservatives. Already some senior officials in Brussels have expressed hope that the election will give May the strong mandate she needs to silence some hard-line Brexiteers, which could help reach an agreement on an orderly withdrawal more quickly.

No loopholes

The Commission’s draft obtained by POLITICO closely tracks the priorities of the emerging Council guidelines, including a strong emphasis on citizens’ rights. “The withdrawal agreement should provide the necessary comprehensive, effective, enforceable and non-discriminatory guarantees for those citizens’ rights,” the Commission wrote.

Like the Council’s guidelines, the Commission’s draft directives pointedly insist on settling the terms of the U.K.’s withdrawal before turning to the framework of a future relationship, presumably an expansive free-trade agreement.

The Commission document also underscores the excruciating level of detail that will be required to prevent chaos when the U.K. leaves the EU. For instance, the Commission wants to be sure that businesses will not have to recall commercial goods put on the market prior to the U.K.’s withdrawal date.

“The Agreement should ensure that any good lawfully placed on the market of the Union on the basis of Union law before the withdrawal date can remain on the market/be used for the first time/put into service after that date both in the United Kingdom and in the EU27 under the conditions set out in the relevant Union law applicable before the withdrawal date,” the Commission wrote.

And the Commission wants to be sure that no legal loopholes or gray areas are created during the divorce process, saying in the document for example that the eventual deal “should ensure the continued application of the rules of Union law relating to choices of forum and choices of law made before the withdrawal date.”

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Kurtofan posted:

my mom is rooting for mélenchon bigly, she tries to convert all her friends, family and colleagues

one of her friends so far is leaning Macron because she's afraid Mélenchon is going to "let all the Romanians (roma) in"

Isn't Macron the most pro-immigration candidate though??

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Someone on the news is shocked that everyone she knows who supported Sarkozy has switched to Melenchon. I'm kinda shocked too; where's the crossover?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Aliquid posted:

Someone on the news is shocked that everyone she knows who supported Sarkozy has switched to Melenchon. I'm kinda shocked too; where's the crossover?
It's about loving over Fillon to take the party back from the crazies.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wouldn't that make Macron the obvious choice?

edit unless this is like Operation Chaos and they're just boosting someone they legit hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
There's no loving logic to anything in this country