Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Hoo boy. Palace 5 is really handing me my rear end. I'm at the halfway point on my first trip in and SP is wearing dangerously thin. I've had to use rez items like 20 times already.
I think i'll have to break my "get to the treasure in one day" streak and make this a 2-day dungeon. :(

The only social link I have yet to unlock is (palace 5 and onwards spoilers) Harus, and I just found out i'll need 5 in proficiency to unlock it. Will I have enough time to finish her slink if I take my time getting to 5 proficiency? It took me ages to get to 4 and I was planning on blitzing through the rest of my current backlog of slinks for the next few months until I start needing other 5's.

Maybe i'll get lucky and get a few prof points slacking off in class.

Palace 5 seems like it would be a nightmare without proper preparation. I went in at level 40 and it was still a slog in places. Thankfully most weaknesses are pretty accessible (depending on Joker's personas) but it's an SP drain even with the SP Adhesive accessories.

EDIT: if you get to the barracks you're really pretty close with not many battles between you and the end, so if you can make it that far, you can finish it in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I somehow gunned my way to max Proficiency before I even unlocked Haru's SL, which is nice. All that's left is Kindness and then I can start doing night links again (already maxed Iwai and Yoshida).

It makes me sad everytime I'm gaining useless stat points now though. All those wasted Charm points from Sun and eventually Devil if I get round to doing hers.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Atlus has a million things they could sell to make bank (Jack Frost dolls) but don't because they're bad at making money.

Or perhaps 'GET SMOKED' hats.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why are there a bunch of Persona that don't have blank entries in the Compendium until they're registered. It makes figuring out which ones you don't have more annoying than it should be

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Endorph posted:

if you're in the fifth alace you only have two months left in the game in terms of actual time, there's no 'next few months'

Shiiiiiiiiit. I need to start hanging the gently caress out with my friends.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

My party's name is Stealy Dan because I have the sense of humor of a 50-yr old dad.

Good post/avatar combo.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I always name my persona protags Karl Hungus and I named my group the Log Jammers

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LuiCypher posted:

Or perhaps 'GET SMOKED' hats.

Yeah I'd buy that. Or Ryuji's stupid NO MO' RULES shirt.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is a semantic difference

Actually its a big one. Yusuke told Ryujii and MC to leave, otherwise he would report them for trespassing.

He asked anne to pose nude and she agreed, with Ryujii and the MC pressuring her into it (as well as Morgana)

Context is pretty important in this case.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Levantine posted:

Palace 5 seems like it would be a nightmare without proper preparation. I went in at level 40 and it was still a slog in places. Thankfully most weaknesses are pretty accessible (depending on Joker's personas) but it's an SP drain even with the SP Adhesive accessories.

EDIT: if you get to the barracks you're really pretty close with not many battles between you and the end, so if you can make it that far, you can finish it in a day.

Oh i'm definitely gonna try and get to the end on day 1, but like you said, I didn't exactly prepare for the slog. I imagine i'll run out of the few sp items I saved up till now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like Marie

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

The Gorp posted:

Nope. Only your party members.
They haven't seen what you've seen.

I guess, but like the party still knows that he's the culprit behind the mental shutdowns/shidos general dirty work which not only killed/ruined the lives of 100's if not 1000's of people but also directly killed the parents of two party members AND he just told them his motivation for it (I didn't get enough hugs as a kid) so I dunno if I really accept that. The party is at least half pretty smart people.

Like I can accept the 'man why did it have to be this way, he hated lovely adults too if only he turned out better' sentiment, but when people are mostly talking about how it's not too late to redeem yourself when he has a kill/live ruined count comparable to a lower level dictator im sorry but I find that a hard pill to swallow, y'know?

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 20, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Exmond posted:

Actually its a big one. Yusuke told Ryujii and MC to leave, otherwise he would report them for trespassing.

He asked anne to pose nude and she agreed, with Ryujii and the MC pressuring her into it (as well as Morgana)

lol

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

darealkooky posted:

Like I can accept the 'man why did it have to be this way, he hated lovely adults too if only he turned out better' sentiment, but when people are mostly talking about how it's not too late to redeem yourself when he has a kill/live ruined count comparable to a lower level dictator im sorry but I find that a hard pill to swallow, y'know?

They also told Kamoshida to redeem himself.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah I'd buy that. Or Ryuji's stupid NO MO' RULES shirt.

This reminds me of the best shirt ever I saw in Japan while studying abroad.

All across it was "gently caress ______" in a pattern, with the blank being literally anything that came into the designers' mind. The shirt must've had "gently caress _______" on it dozens of times.

So it would say things like:
-gently caress CARS
-gently caress SCHOOL
-gently caress FOOD
-gently caress ON-SIDE PARKING

And basically pretty much anything else. I wish I read the shirt long enough to see if it said "gently caress gently caress"

Captain Baal posted:

PSTV otherwise nope

Nice av.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Question, how is Gun Skill damage calculated? Just a persona strength calculation? Also if I obtain a gun amp skill will that boost my actual guns damage?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I also enjoy ur av, LuiCypher.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Baal posted:

I also enjoy ur av, LuiCypher.

Yours is an 11/10

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

They also told Kamoshida to redeem himself.

No matter how bad Kamoshida was, Akechi was worse.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

darealkooky posted:

I guess, but like the party still knows that he's the culprit behind the mental shutdowns/shidos general dirty work which not only killed/ruined the lives of 100's if not 1000's of people but also directly killed the parents of two party members AND he just told them his motivation for it (I didn't get enough hugs as a kid) so I dunno if I really accept that. The party is at least half pretty smart people.

I mean Ryuji says 'I understand him, but I'll never forgive him for what he did' which is basically the tone the whole group takes. They're sympathetic, but its not lile any of them were going to let Goro walk away after. They just didn't necessarily want him dead. Which is the whole difference between them and him thematically

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Exmond posted:

Lol that isn't how it happened at all.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

No matter how bad Kamoshida was, Akechi was worse.

I mean, all they did was for people to be able to redeem themselves. That's their MO. They couldn't do that with Goro since he had a Persona, so they had to do it through dialogue.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I really don't know what flipping Madarame and Kaneshiro would do. Like, I love Makoto and she's my favourite member of the crew but she's already gets a fairly early introduction and I don't see how introducing her to the team earlier would help the plot structure exactly, especially if it's still followed by Madarame. Outside of maybe starting Judgement earlier? If anything I think the game would suffer from having Kaneshiro right after Kamoshida, because he's got a pretty lackluster dungeon and character. Madarame's not a great villain but he's got a good personal connection to Yusuke and is a more appropriate opponent for the gang's first real outing imo.

Haru should definitely be introduced way earlier though and I have no idea why she wasn't. It's kinda strange.
I think this mostly because your party is introduced much slower and more gradually than in, say, Persona 4. Even before you get into the gameplay, you're introduced to the characters that will become your first 3 party members and quickly become friends with them. In Persona 5, you only immediately bond with Ryuji, and have to pry Anne, Yusuke, Makoto and Futaba onto your team one by one. And then they basically drop Haru and Goro into your lap near the endgame. In Persona 4, all of your future party members are introduced in relatively quick order, with the exception of Rise.

Not to mention, and the game itself even jokes about this, but early Persona 5 just has too many dudes. The MC, Ryuji, Yusuke, Morgana and just Anne? It's a bad look!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Okay but Morgana is a cat so it's more like 2 dudes, a chick, and a cat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Baton Pass is my favorite new gameplay system in this. I didn't fully appreciate it at first but the way it lets you both conserve SP with individual characters, or double-dip on turns to most easily lock down enemies you can't take down in one all-out attack, is really fun. It makes me wish there were more chances to use it during boss battles.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

its busted af

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Count Bleck posted:

Okay but Morgana is a cat so it's more like 2 dudes, a chick, and a cat.

A cat who will not shut up about how much he is lusting over the girl.

"You're so gorgeous Panther" is seared into my brain.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I think this mostly because your party is introduced much slower and more gradually than in, say, Persona 4. Even before you get into the gameplay, you're introduced to the characters that will become your first 3 party members and quickly become friends with them. In Persona 5, you only immediately bond with Ryuji, and have to pry Anne, Yusuke, Makoto and Futaba onto your team one by one. And then they basically drop Haru and Goro into your lap near the endgame. In Persona 4, all of your future party members are introduced in relatively quick order, with the exception of Rise.

Not to mention, and the game itself even jokes about this, but early Persona 5 just has too many dudes. The MC, Ryuji, Yusuke, Morgana and just Anne? It's a bad look!

At least for the first three party members, Persona 4 makes you wait longer for a full party than Persona 5 does. The Magician and Chariot characters join around the same time in each. Morgana's your Yosuke, your first party member. Ryuji joins shortly after that, and then Ann joins after even less of a lead-up than Yukiko does. You have a full party before you're set loose in the first dungeon.

After that, the only real difference in the pacing of when characters join is that you get two party members at once in Rise's dungeon: you get Rise as your navigator and Teddie as a combatant. If Futaba joined at the same time as Makoto in Persona 5, that'd be roughly equivalent (though the lead-up to Futaba joining is really compelling so I wouldn't really want that). And then you don't get Naoto until later than you get Haru in Persona 5, though she's introduced to the story much earlier.

RME posted:

its busted af

That's also true and I wish Baton Pass was actually a core mechanic and things were balanced around it. Especially with in-battle party switching, having boss fights that really encourage well-timed Baton Passes could be really cool.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zore posted:

A cat who will not shut up about how much he is lusting over the girl.

"You're so gorgeous Panther" is seared into my brain.

It's weird that he just has a different personality for each girl member.

He's absolutely Gaga for Ann, treats Haru like a student with respect, and is absolutely terrified of Makoto.

I guess it's better than him being Cat Brock.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Once I started graduating to the dyne spells they were getting too pricey for everyday use so I started using more physical skills. A double baton pass to Haru gunning everyone down is murderous.

Also to the person who needed to build proficiency, Hanged gives you proficiency on every hangout so that helped me level that quick

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 20, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Once I started graduating to the dyne spells they were getting too pricey for everyday use so I started using more physical skills. A double baton pass to Haru gunning everyone down is murderous.

Also to the person who needed to build proficiency, Hanged gives you proficiency on every hangout so that helped me level that quick

You should try Baton Passing to someone who has buffed themselves with Heat Riser and Charge :getin:

Also, I find it weird that the way to boost your proficiency really quickly is to get rank 4 in guts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if it would've been possible to give Haru a social link before she joins. Like have her confidant abilities just be the vegetable garden part and plot lock it at a point when it seems like you're going to have to go to Mementos to change her father's heart, but maybe he's lower in Mementos and you can't get there yet. Then you find out her dad has his own palace and she joins. After she joins, suddenly her empty confidant levels fill up with the party member confidant abilities.

It'd be kind of a cool fake out to have what looks like a normal social link turn into a party member, and also let the game introduce her a lot earlier.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Baton pass is so good I rarely use the new party member for a dungeon because you can't do it with them! It's a great way to conserve resources hitting weaknesses or outright obliterating enemies with strong attacks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

I wonder if it would've been possible to give Haru a social link before she joins. Like have her confidant abilities just be the vegetable garden part and plot lock it at a point when it seems like you're going to have to go to Mementos to change her father's heart, but maybe he's lower in Mementos and you can't get there yet. Then you find out her dad has his own palace and she joins. After she joins, suddenly her empty confidant levels fill up with the party member confidant abilities.

It'd be kind of a cool fake out to have what looks like a normal social link turn into a party member, and also let the game introduce her a lot earlier.

How do you rectify that with someone choosing not to do it though? You'd either need to write two versions of the link, which would need to be vague enough to allow you to jump from the non-party to party version at any rank, or make it an auto-link.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
who's out there not choosing Haru please tell me so I can fight them irl

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm late to a number of discussions here bah, but I wanna give reply anyways.

quote:

demon negotiation

Now this is gonna be a hot take but I think part of the point is that it's supposed to be a little inconsistent and flaky. Demons Shadows are unpredictable and don't think like humans do so it makes sense that you'd have to kind of do mental backflips to appeal to them. I never had any problems at all recruiting though after I picked up on the personality traits. I suppose it's one of those sorta things you either get or you don't.

quote:

what did you name Joker?

My original run I used a generic RPG name I use for other stuff and NG+ run I used his manga name Akira Kurusu.

But now I'm sad I'm like 110 hours late on thinking of the best name to use.

Ron DeLite aka Masque DeMasque.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Zore posted:

How do you rectify that with someone choosing not to do it though? You'd either need to write two versions of the link, which would need to be vague enough to allow you to jump from the non-party to party version at any rank, or make it an auto-link.

Could always just make it auto-start and then require manual advancements or something. It's not like that'd be new or out there, especially for this game which forces you to rank 1 for a few things and then leaves the rest of the work to you. Can even keep the stat locks and stuff, which'd make it akin to Futaba. Should probably start before you get forced to Hermit 1 though; that'd at least keep the surprise for a while.

e; This wouldn't fix all the problems, obviously, but it'd at least make it easier for people to follow through with it without needing to go out of their way to find it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I would have loved to use Haru earlier than dungeon seven but I had to get her baton pass, which was gated by proficiency, so I had to hang out with the gun shop owner, who was gated by guts, so I had to get a lot of injections and eat a lot of burgers first

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Haru is utterly perfect and the story does wrong by her. She should be in it from May at the latest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

YoshiOfYellow posted:

But now I'm sad I'm like 110 hours late on thinking of the best name to use.

Ron DeLite aka Masque DeMasque.

You mean Mask☆DeMasque